*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,225 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I would worry less about 70mm and more about it being in 1.43:1. The latter is the real draw, and what gives it that giant, immersive feel. Personally, if I were seeing it in 1.90:1 IMAX I could not care less if it was in 70mm or not, as laser is damn good too.
100%. I was not prepared for the difference on something like Dunkirk for instance. After watching at Bullock solo, I was very disappointed when I drug the family to the drafthouse with standard ~16:9 ratio. It was completely and totally underwhelming.
TCTTS
AG
Had the same feeling last night. It's a totally different experience.
YouBet
AG
RED AG 98 said:

TCTTS said:

According to that Wiki link there are five 1.43:1 IMAX screens in Texas, which is more than I thought. One in each of Austin, Dallas, and Houston, and then two in San Antonio.
And of these, according to wiki at least, only Austin and San Antonio are giant format screens. No idea how accruate that may be.
Looks like we will try to go to San Antonio then. Closest one I can get to.
Sea Speed
AG
imax size has got to be the most talked about thing on this entire board.
TCTTS
AG

Ornithopter
AG
Straight to HR with a poem like that
YouBet
AG
I'm going to decide this was a joke with his role as a Warrior Poet in Gurney Halleck.
Al Bula
AG
TCTTS said:

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
MASAXET said:

Ornithopter said:

It's here boys

Most obvious "username checks out" ever?

But, really, that's going to be awesome
Wrong, this is the most obvious username.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
Slightly disappointed because I wanted to see the banquet scene in part 1. A lot of world building in that scene in the book.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Dammit
Al Bula
AG
TCTTS
AG
jamesagg
AG
When can twitter reactions start to be posted? It's sometime this week isn't it?
TCTTS
AG
Decay
AG
The faces
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That is creepy AF.
Moral High Horse
TCTTS said:

Now do schindlers list
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, missed that. Of course. It's so insanely confusing.
Not to make it more confusing but... according to that wiki...

the Regal Edwards Houston Marq*E & IMAX has an aspect of 1.43.1 but is IMAX CoLa. Which they list as single laser and limited to 1.90:1. That's very confusing.

So the screen is 1.43.1 but will only be shown in 1.90? Am I interpreting that correctly?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Please tell me this is fake.
Sea Speed
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Please tell me this is fake.

I assume so since there is a faceapp watermark, whatever that is
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I don't even notice the faces when I posted it. It was the only tweet I could find with the actual dates/times. Yes, that poster is fake/has been run through an app.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, there's a relatively big name out there (and yes, it's already been spoiled for me) who apparently has a cameo (setting up their presumed role in the third movie?), who hasn't been mentioned as part of the cast so far. All I'll say is, it if wasn't already, this is now most stacked cast of young stars ever, and I doubt anything ever comes this close again...

TCTTS
AG
Speaking of young stars, this entire group really does seem like the nicest, most humble generation of stars ever. The below is a tiny example, but in all other interactions/appearances/reports, they really do seem to be super cool and down to earth. The future is seemingly in great hands...

Ornithopter
AG
I looked up the spoiler based on your post

I love it, it's perfect
The Porkchop Express
No wonder you are so pissy on the daily show thread.
TCTTS
AG
Nope, this happened days ago. I was "pissy" because you played cop when it wasn't warranted, which is ironically what I'm always accused of.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Ornithopter said:

I looked up the spoiler based on your post

I love it, it's perfect

Is it who they think is the count or Alia?
heddleston
AG
Went down and saw Dune at an imax in ATL yesterday. Was waaaay better than my last theater viewing of it, which was in Africa where the theater downloaded a low quality torrent and zero subtitle files, so anytime they were using the Sardaukar or Fremen languages or using sign language you were totally in the dark. Pretty low bar to be sure, but dang this movie is incredible. Can't wait to see 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol wow.
Moral High Horse
heddleston said:

Went down to and saw Dune at an imax in ATL yesterday. Was waaaay better than my last theater viewing of it, which was in Africa where the theater downloaded a low quality torrent and zero subtitle files, so anytime they were using the Sardaukar or Fremen languages or using sign language you were totally in the dark. Pretty low bar to be sure, but dang this movie is incredible. Can't wait to see 2.

I know right. It's like watching scrabbled pron. kinda
heddleston
AG
Yeah the video quality wasn't the worst thing ever, but I went with two buddies who'd never read or seen any previous iterations of Dune, so they were completely lost. Spent the whole drive home explaining to them what they spent 2 and a half hours staring at.

Basically Ethiopians don't do sci-fi, unless you want to count any Marvel flick set in Wakanda as scifi. So when movies like that come out the theaters rarely have plans to get legit copies from distributors.

Same thing happened with the Mario movie. The only video game anyone plays for the most part is FIFA, so no cultural understanding or love for Mario. They downloaded a torrent that a) had the sound off by about a tenth of a second or so and b) it was in English, but the video itself was a theater hand filmed copy in Portuguese; all the stuff like newspapers, TVs, any other written texts weren't in English. I think a bunch of people showed up opening weekend asking for movie times for Mario and they said "oh crap" and downloaded the first thing they could find.
The Porkchop Express
heddleston said:

Yeah the video quality wasn't the worst thing ever, but I went with two buddies who'd never read or seen any previous iterations of Dune, so they were completely lost. Spent the whole drive home explaining to them what they spent 2 and a half hours staring at.

Basically Ethiopians don't do sci-fi, unless you want to count any Marvel flick set in Wakanda as scifi. So when movies like that come out the theaters rarely have plans to get legit copies from distributors.

Same thing happened with the Mario movie. The only video game anyone plays for the most part is FIFA, so no cultural understanding or love for Mario. They downloaded a torrent that a) had the sound off by about a tenth of a second or so and b) it was in English, but the video itself was a theater hand filmed copy in Portuguese; all the stuff like newspapers, TVs, any other written texts weren't in English. I think a bunch of people showed up opening weekend asking for movie times for Mario and they said "oh crap" and downloaded the first thing they could find.
need this on a bumper sticker.
Ornithopter
AG
I'm pretty sure they think it is Alia. I don't think a woman works for that role, and Tim Blake Nelson is supposed to be Fenring.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.