*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,209 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Let the record show that you were the one who officially "spoiled" the cameo for the thread. I didn't want to be the one to do it, but now that the cat's out of the bag...

Huh? I mean they're not exactly hiding anything if she's at the premiere.

I thought nothing of it as I recall her mentioned while they were casting.
TCTTS
AG
I'm mostly joking, but read my post about it just before I started posting reactions.

Basically, it was kept secret until today, and I don't ever remember her being mentioned while they were casting. No one who I follow does either, in fact, and a lot of industry types were pissed when outlets started spoiling her appearance earlier today. But then she officially showed at the premiere soon after, and all bets were off.

It's just that we started alluding to it yesterday, using spoiler tags, and I didn't know if people here would get bent of shape if officially posted in the thread as well. Personally, I don't care one bit, and if Warner Bros truly wanted to keep it secret they wouldn't have invited her to the premiere.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills but I could swear I heard her name when the casting announcements started coming out.

Is this a Mandela effect?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I thought so too, but maybe not.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, just few more, as these are too good/exciting...

(all that said, I'll believe the "surpasses" bit when I see it)
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe I'm taking crazy pills but I could swear I heard her name when the casting announcements started coming out.

Is this a Mandela effect?

She's been rumored as the Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four for a while now. Could that be what you're thinking of? I'm not saying I can't be mistaken, but I pay pretty close attention to this stuff and personally, I had absolutely no idea until a few days ago. Based on reactions from other "insiders," no one else did either.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I can't seem to find anything, I think maybe she was being fan casted a lot for a particular character, either here or on reddit. I think Paul's younger sister?

Guess I botched that then.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, she's playing Alia, Paul's younger sister, but seeing as the character is just a baby in this movie, Taylor-Joy appears either in visions that Paul and Rebecca have, or there's a time jump at the very end of the movie, setting up her character for Messiah - or both
YouBet
AG
These reviews are awesome. I can't wait to see this.

You can tell from these reviews who never read the book. Calling it Empire Strikes Back is a wrong description. And it's not like Denis pulled something out of his ass here to put more action and different themes in this one vs the first movie. That's how the damn book is written!

But that's just me being a Dune dork. Super pumped so now have to figure out how to get to SAT.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

You can tell from these reviews who never read the book. Calling it Empire Strikes Back is a wrong description. And it's not like Denis pulled something out of his ass here to put more action and different themes in this one vs the first movie. That's how the damn book is written!

But that's just me being a Dune dork. Super pumped so now have to figure out how to get to SAT.

We had this discussion not too long ago, and one of those tweet reactions now basically confirms it, as it sounds like Villeneuve either added something or re-engineered something to give it a genuine, cliffhanger feel. Not as distinct or as cliffhangery as The Empire Strikes Back, but there IS apparently an element that gives the ending a very deliberate the-story's-not-over / more-to-come-in-Dune-Messiah feel.
zgood10
AG
Oh my Lord this is fantastic

TCTTS
AG
The slower, moodier, more Blade Runner version of the incredible track from the final trailer.

I love this so, so much.

(But also can't wait for the official drop of that trailer track as well.)
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

We had this discussion not too long ago, and one of those tweet reactions now basically confirms it, as it sounds like Villeneuve either added something or re-engineered something to give it a genuine, cliffhanger feel. Not as distinct or as cliffhangery as The Empire Strikes Back, but there IS apparently an element that gives the ending a very deliberate the-story's-not-over / more-to-come-in-Dune-Messiah feel.
Guess I missed it. Well, the first three books are a trilogy so I can guess what he may have done here but obviously won't speculate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hans Zimmer. On my Mount Rushmore of composers.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

Guess I missed it. Well, the first three books are a trilogy so I can guess what he may have done here but obviously won't speculate.

The way Villeneuve put it is that when Herbert wrote Dune, he didn't yet know the story to Dune Messiah, or if he'd even get the opportunity to continue the story. Villeneuve, however, said he's in the unique position of telling the story of Dune, KNOWING that Messiah is next and exactly what story it tells. So he was able to pepper Part Two with more setups for Part Three, and said he even changed some things/perspectives to better setup the themes/events of the final entry.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

The way Villeneuve put it is that when Herbert wrote Dune, he didn't yet know the story to Dune Messiah, or if he'd even get the opportunity to continue the story. Villeneuve, however, said he's in the unique position of telling the story of Dune, KNOWING that Messiah is next and exactly what story it tells. So he was able to pepper Part Two with more setups for Part Three, and said he even changed some things/perspectives to better setup the themes/events of the final entry.

To be Frank, (ha) that's probably smart because Messiah is pretty boring. The masses would hate it on big screen. It's nothing remotely like Dune.
TCTTS
AG
This one's just for you, Spilner…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think most people knew he'd win an Oscar someday, but I wonder if it'll be for this one. Sure sounds like a nomination though.
RED AG 98
AG
When was the last movie with this kind of hype and early positive returns? Baseball season and Dune 2 season all at once. I can't wait.
Decay
AG
BUT HOW IS THE POPCORN BUCKET
TCTTS
AG
RED AG 98 said:

When was the last movie with this kind of hype and early positive returns? Baseball season and Dune 2 season all at once. I can't wait.

I was literally about to say that, in the social media era, I don't think I've ever seen THIS level of praise combined with such an anonymous consensus. Box office-wise, this of course won't be bigger than Top Gun: Maverick, but the early reactions to even that movie didn't reach this level of effusive, all-time-blockbuster acclaim. Granted, now expectations are sky high, and there will no doubt be a wave of reactionary, good-but-not-as-great-as-everyone-is-saying takes, but that's irrelevant for the time being. To answer your question, all I know is that, as of now, in this early stage, we've officially reached TG:M - if not The Dark Knight / The Two Towers / The Empire Strikes Back - territory, and I could not be more ready for it.
Peter Klaven
AG
So outside of true IMAX (one screen in DFW) what's the best way to watch this? Lot of different theater options these days...
TCTTS
AG
Outside of true IMAX, I would say any "IMAX Experience" or AMC Dolby Cinema theater.
RED AG 98
AG
TCTTS said:

RED AG 98 said:

I was literally about to say that, in the social media era, I don't think I've ever seen THIS level of praise combined with such an anonymous consensus. Box office-wise, this of course won't be bigger than Top Gun: Maverick, but the early reactions to even that movie didn't reach this level of effusive, all-time-blockbuster acclaim. Granted, now expectations are sky high, and there will no doubt be a wave of reactionary, good-but-not-as-great-as-everyone-is-saying takes, but that's irrelevant for the time being. To answer your question, all I know is that, as of now, in this early stage, we've officially reached TG:M - if not The Dark Knight / The Two Towers / The Empire Strikes Back - territory, and I could not be more ready for it.
Freaking awesome! It definitely doesn't have the broad appeal of TG:M in the US, but with the young cast of Timothee, Zendaya and Austin there's a lot more interest among youth as well, even those not really into sci-fi or fantasy.

I've got HS and college aged girls and their friends that are very excited to see this as well, and neither of mine would even begin to open this book. Just really smart casting by DV.
Sea Speed
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This cast is just DV flexing on us. Feels like they went down the list of all the hottest young actors in Hollywood and somehow got them all. (Sans Barry Keoghan.)

What the hell are these people wearing?
TCTTS
AG
Wardrobes designed specifically to get people talking about them, in exactly the way we are now, thus free advertising for and raising the awareness level of the movie itself.
RED AG 98
AG
The new C3PO is HOT!
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

Wardrobes designed specifically to get people talking about them, in exactly the way we are now, thus free advertising for and raising the awareness level of the movie itself.

Tbh if I wasn't invested in this movie seeing them all look like that would make me never go see this thing. They look absolutely ridiculous. They are more hunger games than the actual people in the movie hunger games.
TCTTS
AG
That's kind of the point as well. It's all very purposefully out there / Dune-esque, as if they could be in any one of these crazy entourages...

The Porkchop Express
So since 2018, Austin Butler's streak has been

2018: The Iceman Cometh on Broadway with Denzel Washington

2019: Tex Watson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

2022: Oscar-nominated (and in my book should have won in a landslide) for Elvis

2024: Master of Air lead role, probably a shoo-in for an Emmy/GG nod

2024: Dune Part 2, possible Oscar nom for supporting actor

The Porkchop Express
Pretty sure at some point pre=game Stellen Skaarsgard said "get that **** away from me" with the outfits.
TCTTS
AG
Crazy.

And now rumor has him playing the Val Kilmer role for Michael Mann in Heat 2...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.