*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,230 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
canadiaggie said:

hunter2012 said:

$81.5M opening Domestic
Quote:

Not even the prophetic visions of Timothe Chalamet's Paul Atreides, the messianic protagonist of "Dune," could have predicted the commercial appeal of director Denis Villeneuve's ambitious interplanetary epics.
After all, when the long-in-the-works adaptation finally gained momentum in 2017, it was superheroes, not cerebral stories, that ruled the box office. "Dune," in particular, was notoriously difficult to translate to cinema, as Hollywood learned from director David Lynch's disastrous 1984 version.
It wasn't just sci-fi fans, but general audiences, too, who helped "Dune: Part Two" ride those massive sandworms to the top of box office charts. The big-budget sequel has collected a bigger-than-expected $82.5 million in North America and $182.5 million globally in its first weekend of release.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-2-box-office-analysis-opening-weekend-timothee-chalamet-1235928762/

182.5M global opening, sheesh

I read that Variety article and see the cost of $100 million to market the film, can someone in the industry breakdown where that money goes? That seems like an enormous amount of money to promote a film but where is it spent? How much does it cost to create and air trailers? TV ads etc? Press junkets aren't that expensive are they?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
wangus12
AG
bonfarr said:

Moral High Horse said:

Would have been just 1 madame web if this was the movie poster. But I was not consulted.

That body was so wasted covered up in a nuns habit in The Handmaids Tale. Love me some Sydney Sweeney
Don't worry, She shows them off in damn near everything else
StinkyPinky
AG
wangus12 said:

bonfarr said:

Moral High Horse said:

Would have been just 1 madame web if this was the movie poster. But I was not consulted.

That body was so wasted covered up in a nuns habit in The Handmaids Tale. Love me some Sydney Sweeney
Don't worry, She shows them off in damn near everything else
Yep, she's not shy about them
cone
AG
that first battle sequence was something else
TCTTS
AG
bonfarr said:

canadiaggie said:

hunter2012 said:

$81.5M opening Domestic
Quote:

Not even the prophetic visions of Timothe Chalamet's Paul Atreides, the messianic protagonist of "Dune," could have predicted the commercial appeal of director Denis Villeneuve's ambitious interplanetary epics.
After all, when the long-in-the-works adaptation finally gained momentum in 2017, it was superheroes, not cerebral stories, that ruled the box office. "Dune," in particular, was notoriously difficult to translate to cinema, as Hollywood learned from director David Lynch's disastrous 1984 version.
It wasn't just sci-fi fans, but general audiences, too, who helped "Dune: Part Two" ride those massive sandworms to the top of box office charts. The big-budget sequel has collected a bigger-than-expected $82.5 million in North America and $182.5 million globally in its first weekend of release.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-2-box-office-analysis-opening-weekend-timothee-chalamet-1235928762/

I read that Variety article and see the cost of $100 million to market the film, can someone in the industry breakdown where that money goes? That seems like an enormous amount of money to promote a film but where is it spent? How much does it cost to create and air trailers? TV ads etc? Press junkets aren't that expensive are they?

It costs a millions upon millions to buy ad time, billboards, arrange promotional partnerships, etc. They're promoting movies like this across multiple channels/services, and on billboards in every major city across the world, for weeks/months on end, and all of that adds up quickly.

Also, yes, a global press junket like this can also cost also millions. Dozens of first-class flights, the very best hotels, renting out major venues, etc. And even though the stars themselves are typically already paid to promote via their salaries, studios aren't paying for only the stars, they're paying their stylists and handlers too, for their flights, hotel rooms, food, etc.
AgfromHOU
AG
Having just watched Dune part 1 a few days ago for the first time, this was hilarious

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4JXmfWO9yi/?igsh=MXQyMmVydWx5Y2l1NA==
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bonfarr said:

canadiaggie said:

hunter2012 said:

$81.5M opening Domestic
Quote:

Sea Speed
AG
Moral High Horse said:

I would have titled it: Madame's Swingers, The Snyder Cut

Id sling my web all over that madame
StinkyPinky
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Having just watched Dune part 1 a few days ago for the first time, this was hilarious

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4JXmfWO9yi/?igsh=MXQyMmVydWx5Y2l1NA==
LMAO
Cromagnum
AG
Finally getting my spice fix today. Wife had me out of town last weekend, and she works this weekend. Said she wants to watch it in a week or two. Fine, but I'm watching it solo first.
dmart90
AG
Finally saw it last night at Alamo. The score was great and this is a visually stunning movie. Incredibly well done. But there were parts of this movie that were just s l o w. Overall, I did like it a lot.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Cromagnum said:

Finally getting my spice fix today. Wife had me out of town last weekend, and she works this weekend. Said she wants to watch it in a week or two. Fine, but I'm watching it solo first.

Do you let her know in advance you're seeing it first solo?

If it's covert; make sure to keep your trap shut during the movie... saying things like: "I love this part" or "that was better the 2nd time" are giveaways...

It could cause some minor strife. Ask me how I know?
Decay
AG
Guess someone had had to sleep in their own Sietch that night
Cromagnum
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Cromagnum said:

Do you let her know in advance you're seeing it first solo?

If it's covert; make sure to keep your trap shut during the movie... saying things like: "I love this part" or "that was better the 2nd time" are giveaways...

It could cause some minor strife. Ask me how I know?

She knows I was watching it today
AgfromHOU
AG
Just sat down to watch Pesky Paul do his thing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.