*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,228 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I just finished Messiah and I think it will actually make a much better film than Dune (even split into 2 parts). Its a much more straightforward story, plot-wise, and the theme is very interesting and feels relevant. And although there isn't a lot of action, there would be a lot of tense scenes and some great screen writing can really punch that up. I mean, its basically structured like some of the best stuff from Game of Thrones, with all the intrigue and secret plotting, etc.
YouBet
AG
veryfuller said:

I just finished Messiah and I think it will actually make a much better film than Dune (even split into 2 parts). Its a much more straightforward story, plot-wise, and the theme is very interesting and feels relevant. And although there isn't a lot of action, there would be a lot of tense scenes and some great screen writing can really punch that up. I mean, its basically structured like some of the best stuff from Game of Thrones, with all the intrigue and secret plotting, etc.
Maybe. The die hards will like it regardless. Interesting thought here that the more astute film buffs can comment because I haven't seen all of his movies...I wonder if he will be the right director for a movie like Messiah? He seems to be a big visuals person and there just aren't much in this book other than some grand descriptions of the internal buildings that Paul and sister occupy?

The casual fans may need a heads up that it's a left turn from the first two movies.
Duncan Idaho
I'd say he is more about tension than big visuals. Even if arrival had been done on a much smaller scale, it would have still been a great film. Prisoners wasnt a big visuals film
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I'd say he is more about tension than big visuals. Even if arrival had been done on a much smaller scale, it would have still been a great film. Prisoners wasnt a big visuals film
Ok, well he may be perfect for it then.
Duncan Idaho
In my opinion the single greatest scene in dune was the Gom Jabbar scene. It was just mesmerizing and it is just a single room with 2 actors and a handful of words
SpreadsheetAg
The Porkchop Express
If you gave Kareem $100 million would he change his name to Kareem Gom Jabbar?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

In my opinion the single greatest scene in dune was the Gom Jabbar scene. It was just mesmerizing and it is just a single room with 2 actors and a handful of words
The movie or the books?

There was alot to like in movie... this one was good, for sure...

My question is going to be this... Paul Atreides rules as Padishah Emperor for ~12 years... do we see a thread on TexAgs in 2034 clamoring for Timothee Chalamet to reprise his role as Paul Muad'Dib? (akin to Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan)
schmendeler
AG
Loved that video where he broke it down. He really loves this book.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
powerbelly said:

I'm excited to see how he pulls this all together.

I will be curious if they end up making Dune: Messiah. Completely different tone of book and I am not sure the casual audience will like it as much.
I want to see God Emperor of Dune, just because I want to see what they do with "the worm"...
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Good point.
hunter2012
AG
Any scene that used the VOICE, was awesome. The escape from the ornithopter was also a great scene.
The Dirty Sock
Duncan Idaho said:

Nay. "WITH ME!"
TCTTS
AG
How this isn't the Best Picture front-runner, not only because it legitimately *is* the best movie of 2021, but because it would solve a number of the Academy's perception issues, is beyond me. It just seems like such a no-brainer to celebrate the hell out of this massive achievement - one with Oscar-worthy talent up and down the line, in front of and behind the camera - over stuff like The Power of the Dog and Coda...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

How this isn't the Best Picture front-runner, not only because it legitimately *is* the best movie of 2021, but because it would solve a number of the Academy's perception issues, is beyond me. It just seems like such a no-brainer to celebrate the hell out of this massive achievement - one with Oscar-worthy talent up and down the line, in front of and behind the camera - over stuff like The Power of the Dog and Coda...

Kind of insane if it isn't and I haven't even seen the other candidates. I just don't think there can be another film out there on the same level as this one.
The Dirty Sock
Don't really care about the Oscar though it's deserved. I'm just surprised that this movie made me want to go back watch the 1984 version and even read the books. Me. READING!
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

I do not get all the love for The Power Of The Dog, it's not very good. The acting is fine, but the movie overall isn't special. Dune is an achievement, I feel there's going to be a day when everyone comes back around to it like The Social Network.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Don't really care about the Oscar though it's deserved. I'm just surprised that this movie made me want to go back watch the 1984 version and even read the books. Me. READING!
Back in 2012, I was sitting in the MSC a few hours before kickoff of our first SEC game against the Gators. I remember a female Gator fan, probably 20-something, exclaim "Books!" with a sarcastic chuckle as she was walking near the entrance to the book store. As if Aggies don't read.
Bird Poo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Completely agree. Bene Gesserit are complete badasses and I'm glued to the screen every time they were on screen. Would be great to see some of their fighting and poisoning skilz.
TCTTS
AG
My theater literally cheered at the end of that scene.
Duncan Idaho
And then everyone clapped
The Porkchop Express
Duncan Idaho said:

And then everyone clapped
And then TC yelled, don't say anything about the book!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

HA ha ha ................

Also
I am still convinced that either they take this movie into the 2nd book or that Duncan comes back and watches the finale when Paul fights Feyd
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Part one - Oscar Winner for:
Best Cinematography
Film Editting
Production Design
Sound
Music (Film Score)
Visual Effects
wangus12
AG
Still can't believe you can win all of that and not get Best Picture.

Its like saying "Hey you're ranked #1 on all these metrics, but put together you aren't #1"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

HA ha ha ................

Also
I am still convinced that either they take this movie into the 2nd book or that Duncan comes back and watches the finale when Paul fights Feyd

Spoilers through Dune Messiah:
I could see them showing Idaho being brought back to life in an end credits scene in Dune 2. Momoa is such a big actor I could see them wanting him on all three movies, even if it's just a teaser for the next one
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Still can't believe you can win all of that and not get Best Picture.

Its like saying "Hey you're ranked #1 on all these metrics, but put together you aren't #1"
This happens all the time.

Ask yourself which movies are more revered universally:

Annie Hall OR Star Wars
Chariots of Fire OR Raiders of the Lost Ark
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The latter on both. Not close.
Max Power
AG
PearlJammin said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Completely agree. Bene Gesserit are complete badasses and I'm glued to the screen every time they were on screen. Would be great to see some of their fighting and poisoning skilz.

That scene is elevated even more when you juxtapose it with the same scene from the Lynch movie in the 80s. Everything about it is more intense and visceral. I can't even describe it, there's something about the way she holds the needle in the new one vs the needle just being on the tip of her finger in the Lynch film.

Duncan Idaho
But I was told that Timothy was flat and closer to a snuff film fan than the son of a duke
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The latter on both. Not close.
Yet the "esteemed" Academy thought the former were the better films. I quit watching awards shows many years ago for these kind of decisions, and when the whole thing became nothing more than a bash-a-thon against conservatives.
Al Bula
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

But I was told that Timothy was flat and closer to a snuff film fan than the son of a duke
Well at least you could have copied my quote from the Dune thread and properly set the context

Chalmet was a dud in Dune and reminded me of Nick Cage in 8mm.

The fantastic cast was used far too sparsely while Emo Tim was paraded around and had way too much screentime.

The sequel has a lot of catching up to tell a tight story. I can't agree with the win for Best Editing. The other movies must have been really poorly edited.

It really should shock no one that none of the cast received nods for best whatever awards.

Chalmet's boring portrayal of Paul was proved by no best actor nomination.

The rest of the cast was barely seen aside from Jessica. Momoa had the correct amount of time. Proof the cast were in the movie so little there was no case to make for supporting nominations.
Max Power
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I understand some of the criticism of the casting. To an extent Paul should be a larger actor, Chalamet is a small guy, and Paul is supposed to be a natural leader of men. That being said Paul when the books start out is like 15 IIRC and Chalamet looks like a 15 year old, and he's in a world populated with adults, the movie certainly reinforces that aspect. I think Chalamet played the character to the best of his abilities, I haven't had any issues with his casting or portrayal. This is the inherent issue with making a move of a beloved existing property. I've watched it about 4 times in total now, I can't think of any of the casting choices being bad at this point.

The only part that should have been nominated IMO was Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, she deserved a best supporting actress nomination, she killed it. The only performance nominated that I saw this year was Kirsten Dunst in The Power of the Dog, and Rebecca Ferguson was easily better than her, and I thought Dunst was good in that film. Perhaps the winner was great, but I didn't see West Side Story, nor did I see Belfast, King Richard, or The Lost Daughter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.