*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,223 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DB Coach said:

The 70mm in Dallas on Webb Chapel isn't showing it?

Not according to official IMAX site.
YouBet
AG
Considering the time frames and progressions of the books, I'm not worried about looking ahead to Dune Messiah. I still think he would do well enough alone to not make Messiah. It is not a good fit for the screen after witnessing Dune.

However, I can also see why someone would want to make it with some of the forced parallels that would be made with the "real world". I also think he would probably supplement it with content not in the book to make it more movie friendly, but that's just me speculating, obviously.

Still trying to figure out where we go see Dune 2. Thinking we head to San Antonio and make it a weekend.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I think it's something like 12-13 years between Dune and Messiah... how will they age Timothee that much? Also he better start bulking after this movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quad Dog said:

TCTTS said:

I don't know how the book ends, but just because the primary, overarching drama sees a resolution, doesn't mean that every element is going to see a nice, tidy ending wrapped in a bow. A "cliffhanger" could be as simple as a foreboding beat, after the climax, in the movie's final moments, subtly hinting at more/worse things to come, be it for Paul or whoever. Almost like the brief, foreboding look on Jessica's face in the final seconds of Part One, but something more obvious than that this.

Basically, don't take the word "cliffhanger" too literally. Because it seems that everyone, Villeneuve and Nolan included, simply means that by movie's end, we're left with the impression that despite the war or whatever being over, there's definitely more story to tell, we're only 2/3 of the way through something bigger, etc.
Even the Return of the Jedi could be considered to end on a cliffhanger. The remnants of the Empire are still out there. There is now a power vacuum with the removal of the Empire, can our heroes go from revolutionaries to governors? Those kind of cliffhangers will be present in Dune as well, and it sounds like they will be addressing them.
Good point on the ending of Jedi. Absolutely that should be a similarity with the ending of Dune Part II. Hopefully Dune Messiah will turn out better than the Star Wars sequels.
#FJB
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I think it's something like 12-13 years between Dune and Messiah... how will they age Timothee that much? Also he better start bulking after this movie.

Easily with the tech we have. Why does he need to bulk up?
Quad Dog
AG
I've never thought of Paul, or any of the Fremen as bulky people. I don't know how they would be with their lifestyle.
Decay
AG
The books talk about how water-fat people are until they live in the desert. I know it's probably a little tougher to make that part accurate given actors probably don't want to look strung out and emaciated.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
YouBet said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

He probably weighs 130lbs (looked it up and he's 145-150 lbs) right now; I guess I always pictured older Paul as a lithe but not skinny character. So if Tim is 145 now I'd think he needs to get to 160-175 in my mind.
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

YouBet said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

He probably weighs 130lbs right now; I guess I always pictured Paul as a lithe but not skinny character. So if Tim is 130 now I'd think he needs to get to 150-160 in my mind.
Yeah, Tim is certainly a tiny dude.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I mean, he is muad'dib for a reason.
TCTTS
AG
A couple years ago, Villeneuve talked about waiting roughly the proper amount of years before making Messiah, or at least waiting until around the end of the decade. But it sounds like Part Two is so good, and the pressure is now too high, that Warner Bros wants it sooner. Still, Villeneuve said he needs a break, and wants to do one other movie in between, so we're talking 2027 at the absolute earliest, if not more likely 2028. At which point Chalamet will have hopefully matured/filled out more (there's already a noticeable difference between his stature in Part One vs Part Two), and yeah, they can age him up for the rest.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
YouBet said:

DB Coach said:

It is on their website.
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

YouBet said:

DB Coach said:

It is on their website.

What website? My earlier post is from IMAX.com.

I would be happy to be wrong and if I am this would simply be more ammo for my frustration with IMAX.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Webb chapel cinemark.
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The Webb chapel cinemark.

Then someone is lying and I'm betting it's Cinemark. Yes, it's IMAX but it's not 70mm. Are they claiming the latter?
Muy
AG
TCTTS said:

I saw that skit. Is that a real popcorn bucket design that people decided to use for personal pleasure?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I mean, knock yourself out figuring it out. I'm pretty sure they have one imax screen and it's the big one. Not sure why anyplace with that screen would opt out of one of the biggest movies of the year.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, it is most definitely real. Check the past few pages. Memes have been shared.
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I mean, knock yourself out figuring it out. I'm pretty sure they have one imax screen and it's the big one. Not sure why anyplace with that screen would opt out of one of the biggest movies of the year.

Dunno. I have no idea how it works on who shows 70mm and who doesn't. If you have the capability, I don't know why you wouldn't either but I guess they aren't.

Maybe someone who knows the selection or participation process can weigh in.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, it is most defensively real. Check the past few pages. Memes have been shared.
Defensively? Or definitely?
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Damn it.
TCTTS
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

There is one character we find out whom their father is.....
TCTTS
AG
Unfortunately, I was already spoiled on that by some random Twitter account.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Yeah I figured that was one your were complaining about is this thread earlier.
Ol Jock 99
AG
TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, I was already spoiled on that by some random Twitter account.

I've read the book twice and loved the 84 movie. I had to look up the "spoiler" to be reminded what it was.

It is much much of a "yeah, that makes sense" moment than a "oh snap!!!" moment.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Out of an abundance of caution even though I'm 99% it was discussed in Part I: The BG have been carefully breeding for thousands of years both to product the kwisatz haderach AND to steer politics. So (maybe a spoiler for folks unlike TC who knows...) Linking 2 of the most powerful houses isn't surprising at all.
Ornithopter
AG
It's not integral to the plot, though it enhances it. That said, I'd be irritated to have what is a cool reveal spoiled
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ornithopter said:

It's not integral to the plot, though it enhances it. That said, I'd be irritated to have what is a cool reveal spoiled

not for this movie but for Messiah and Children it is… especially Children
TCTTS
AG
A slightly truncated version of the behind-the-scenes featurette/clip/trailer that played in theaters before showings of Dune a couple weeks ago (and again starting this Friday). The clip sandwiched in between is a good five minutes of the movie (Paul attempting to ride a sandworm for the first time), so don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled...

Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

A slightly truncated version of the behind-the-scenes featurette/clip/trailer that played in theaters before showings of Dune a couple weeks ago (and again starting this Friday). The clip sandwiched in between is a good five minutes of the movie (Paul attempting to ride a sandworm for the first time), so don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled...

Did you watch the whole thing? I respect you scouring the news like you do (and have to), but to actively choose to watch something like this or even read about it when you don't want to be spoiled is counterintuitive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.