*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,474 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

We still had to pause the movie about 53 times.

Oh, I'm sure.

The good thing about Part Two, hopefully, is that it'll be less setup/exposition, and more clearly defined execution of good guys vs bad guys. Now we just get to watch it all play out.
TCTTS
AG
Yes!

Faustus
redline248 said:

Who doesn't want a flesh light with their popcorn
Looks more like a dentata. As far as mistakes go that would rank up there.

Quote:

Moral High Horse
Faustus said:

redline248 said:

Who doesn't want a flesh light with their popcorn
Looks more like a dentata. As far as mistakes go that would rank up there.

Quote:

For some reason this popped up in my head today and i was sure this was one of those Mandela Effect deals and was like, "there's no way that movie really got made"
Flatlander
Ol Jock 99 said:

For the 53rd time, IT'S PRONOUNCED HAR-KOH-NEN!!!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Flatlander said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Flatlander said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I read this in the Arnold S voice.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

This is nothing compared to the two MAJOR spoilers I've accidentally read this week, without warning, on social media. I get that it's a 60-year-old book, but I don't remember the plot points of any major adaptation like this being discussed so freely online.
I'm still smarting from all the Oppenheimer spoilers you guys posted in the summer, but I didn't cry about it.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Flatlander said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I read this in the Arnold S voice.
YOU HAVE WHAT YOU WANT COHAGEN, GIVE THE HAR KOH NENS THE AIR!

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

what did he cook?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Brief rundown?? We had a 200 level class before watching Dune Part 1.

Love it, but "Emporer"?…? Really ?
Ornithopter
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

what did he cook?

You can be certain the cooking had spice.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It's a very messy "E"?
TCTTS
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

what did he cook?

Greatness, apparently.
The Porkchop Express
Ol Jock 99 said:

Brief rundown?? We had a 200 level class before watching Dune Part 1.

The follow-up lesson was not as well received or planned out.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Ol Jock 99
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
This is exactly why they pushed the release date back due to the strikes. Because now, for the next month, four of the hottest young stars on the planet will be making appearances together, all over talk shows, social media, etc, hyping this thing like no other. Not quite a 1-to-1 comparison, I know, but it's basically like having a young DiCaprio, Pitt, Bullock, and Paltrow all doing a blockbuster together in the '90s. It's such a rare occasion that you can't not take full advantage of it…

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Austin Butler looks just like Kevin Bacon to me.

The Porkchop Express
Austin Butler missed a golden opportunity to say that Elvis could whip Willy Wonka's Candy Ass.

Interesting clip from Walken, at least in that short part he's not speaking in his normal cadence.

Florence Pugh's RL accent is lovely.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YouBet
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

heddleston said:

What's a good resource for figuring out what theater to go to? I'm in the boonies, so it'll be a 2+hr drive from the closest theater with an imax, so it's no biggie if I need to go a little further to get the biggest/best screen and experience for this. I'm in deep Appalachia, so Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Asheville, and maybe even Charlotte are options for me.
https://www.imax.com/theatre/finder
This is where I remind everyone of the unfortunate reality of LieMAX. If you thought you would be seeing this in 70mm, there is probably a great chance you actually are not.

No theater in Texas will be showing Dune II in 70mm.

Here are the only theaters doing so:

Participating IMAX 70mm Film Theatres:
UNITED STATES
Harkins Arizona Mills 25 & IMAX - Tempe, AZ
AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX - San Francisco, CA
Regal Edwards Irvine Spectrum & IMAX - Irvine, CA
TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX - Hollywood, CA
Universal Cinema AMC at CityWalk Hollywood & IMAX - Universal City, CA
IMAX, Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis, IN
AMC Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX - New York, NY
Regal UA King of Prussia & IMAX - King of Prussia, PA
Regal Opry Mills & IMAX - Nashville, TN

Looks like TC will be one of the few on here who gets to see it 70mm since he's going to the Chyna Theater.

TCTTS
AG
To be clear, just because it's not in 70mm IMAX doesn't mean it's automatically LieMAX. LieMAX has to do with the size of the screen, not the projection. There are still plenty of full-size IMAX screens that project in digital/laser, that simply don't have access to 70mm IMAX projectors. Basically, the only LieMAX screens I'm aware of are at AMC theaters, where they don't have room for a full-size IMAX screen. So they make the screen as big as they can and call it "the IMAX experience." Anything that uses that phrasing is LieMAX.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

To be clear, just because it's not in 70mm IMAX doesn't mean it's automatically LieMAX. LieMAX has to do with the size of the screen, not the projection. There are still plenty of full-size IMAX screens that project in digital/laser, that simply don't have access to 70mm IMAX projectors. Basically, the only LieMAX screens I'm aware of are at AMC theaters, where they don't have room for a full-size IMAX screen. So they make the screen as big as they can and call it "the IMAX experience." Anything that uses that phrasing is LieMAX.
I'm calling it all LieMax because, in general, it continues to be the most confusing thing in the entertainment world to have to go research which type of IMAX option I have available. Screen size, camera type, etc. I should know what I'm getting when something says IMAX but I have to read the fine print to understand if it's actually IMAX and if it's actually the intended experience.

Frustrating.
TCTTS
AG
I mentioned this a while back in my Oppenheimer review, but we saw that in 70mm IMAX at the Chinese Theater, and the sound/projector broke just prior to the third act. So after a five-minute pause, they had to switch over to the laser projector and I had the rare opportunity to compare both in one sitting. The 70mm image was incredible, but the laser image was brighter. I compared 70mm IMAX to HDR on a 4K TV. The blacks were blacker and the colors popped more, but the over image quality was brighter and more steady on laser. In other words, it's not all bad if you don't get 70mm.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you. The whole "IMAX experience" thing never should have been a thing.
RED AG 98
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

I'm calling it all LieMax because, in general, it continues to be the most confusing thing in the entertainment world to have to go research which type of IMAX option I have available. Screen size, camera type, etc. I should know what I'm getting when something says IMAX but I have to read the fine print to understand if it's actually IMAX and if it's actually the intended experience.

Frustrating.
I was very skeptical at first when they redid the IMAX theater at Bob Bullock a few years ago. It's not 70mm, it's the new twin 4k laser setup, but it is 1000x better than the totally fake LieMAX at AMC.

65 ft tall x 85 ft wide. It's absolutely stunning and my venue of choice for big feature films like Dune. Interstellar and Dunkirk in particular were gorgeous. It's just absolutely immersive.

In summary, see Dune on the biggest screen you can find, IMAX or otherwise.
DB Coach
AG
The 70mm in Dallas on Webb Chapel isn't showing it?
TCTTS
AG
Faustus
I'm struggling to think how the second half of Dune could be compared to The Dark Knight apart from being the second iteration and being well reviewed.

Edit: I googled and there were some reddit posts about Nolan and Villeneuve on their second movies for a particular IP, so it's not the flicks being compared so much as the directors' efforts. Nolan saying it's Villeneuve's 'EMPIRE STRIKES BACK' is amusingly inapposite considering the plot, which is more Revenge of the Jihadi. Since Kershner didn't direct Star Wars it's not even apt.

Nolan might as well have said it was Villeneuve's Godfather 2.
TCTTS
AG
Without getting into book spoilers, because I don't know them, and I don't want to know them, the below is how Villeneuve explains the vibe of the ending. Basically, it sounds like the "out of control" element means that yes, the movie ends where the book ends, but the world of the movie/book is still left in somewhat of a state if disarray, one that could be interpreted as a cliffhanger of sorts.

Also, Villeneuve has said recently that because he was able to come at Part Two already knowing the events of Dune Messiah - foresight that not even Herbert had when writing the first book - Villeneuve was able to better pepper this movie with setups for Messiah, and come at things from a slightly different perspective than in the book, knowing exactly what comes next, etc. All of which could lead to more of a cliffhanger ending as well...

Quote:

In Dune: Part Two, which opens on March 1, Villeneuve creates a path to that next installment, but notes that this isn't his own invention. It remains faithful to Herbert's climax in the original novel.

"That's how the book ends," Villeneuve tells Vanity Fair. "The Dune book ends with the beginning of something that is out of control, and I thought this was a very powerful ending. I feel that both movies complete the adaptation of the book, and I feel very good about that. When people ask me, is there a world where I could do Messiah? Yes…"

Faustus
I'm still not seeing how the article saying the second half of Dune ends with something out of control bears any relation to the events in Empire - Luke having his hand lopped off by light saber, finding out his nemesis was his father, and Han being frozen solid. All our heroes are in retreat, and the forces of evil are ascendant, which was a little novel at the time. The Empire is in control. The article doesn't even mention the comparison of the two flicks the Tweet referred to and I took issue with.

Who knows how the second half of Dune may turn out, but comparing it to the Dark Knight and Empire just seems like a lazy way to connect well reviewed movies in niche genres based on being the second film. That being said I loved all of those films and enjoy the genres, and the principal books, watched the Lynch version, the William Hurt version, the James McAvoy follow up, and the doc. about Jardowsky's attempt - which was pretty ****ing cool.

Faustus
In twenty years I don't think I've ever popped up that emoji. It's not unlike the Dark Knight.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know how the book ends, but just because the primary, overarching drama sees a resolution, doesn't mean that every element is going to see a nice, tidy ending wrapped in a bow. A "cliffhanger" could be as simple as a foreboding beat, after the climax, in the movie's final moments, subtly hinting at more/worse things to come, be it for Paul or whoever. Almost like the brief, foreboding look on Jessica's face in the final seconds of Part One, but something more obvious than that this.

Basically, don't take the word "cliffhanger" too literally. Because it seems that everyone, Villeneuve and Nolan included, simply means that by movie's end, we're left with the impression that despite the war or whatever being over, there's definitely more story to tell, we're only 2/3 of the way through something bigger, etc.
Faustus
Fair enough.

I enjoyed the exchange and cheers.
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know how the book ends, but just because the primary, overarching drama sees a resolution, doesn't mean that every element is going to see a nice, tidy ending wrapped in a bow. A "cliffhanger" could be as simple as a foreboding beat, after the climax, in the movie's final moments, subtly hinting at more/worse things to come, be it for Paul or whoever. Almost like the brief, foreboding look on Jessica's face in the final seconds of Part One, but something more obvious than that this.

Basically, don't take the word "cliffhanger" too literally. Because it seems that everyone, Villeneuve and Nolan included, simply means that by movie's end, we're left with the impression that despite the war or whatever being over, there's definitely more story to tell, we're only 2/3 of the way through something bigger, etc.
Even the Return of the Jedi could be considered to end on a cliffhanger. The remnants of the Empire are still out there. There is now a power vacuum with the removal of the Empire, can our heroes go from revolutionaries to governors? Those kind of cliffhangers will be present in Dune as well, and it sounds like they will be addressing them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.