*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,239 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a rewatch yesterday. Such a solid movie. Duncan's last stand was done very well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The world-building and production design is so damn good in this movie. It's in a league of its own.

It's basically LOTR and Dune, and then everything else.
heddleston
AG
pretty much. the sheer amount of exposition they did in this movie without it being monologued to the audience is incredible. it's why im not bothered by the scenes that arent included; any more and it likely goes too far.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Took me almost four hours to finish cause I kept pausing to look up words and lore throughout the movie, but that's not at all a knock on the movie.

The movie tells exactly the story it needs to tell, but there's so much interesting stuff that is only hinted at. I'm sure a lot of it will come in the next two movies.

Man, I can't wait.
RED AG 98
AG
Just finished my first rewatch in some time. I've watched it a few times but not in the last year or so. Everytime I watch it's better. DV is a just a master of his his craft. The visuals, the tension building, the cinetrography, the score. Wow.

I love the early scene with Paul and the Rev. Mother Mohiam. It was so cleverly done.
Chalamet did an amazing job transforming from teenage boy to a man and the Duke.
Skarsgard as the Barron was incredible. Absolutely perfectly cast. Just nailed it.

Now off to re-watch some of the Dune 1 special effects and cinetograhy nerd stuff on youtube.

Only 8 days away for me! I, likewise, cannot wait.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
My favorite scene in Dune pt 1 is the Sardukar prepping to go to Arakkis. The throat-singing sound, the rain, the sacrifice, and the guttural Sardukar language is just perfect.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C3Y2iRXP43t
hunter2012
AG

High Fives all around for the book readers...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Timestamped for relevance:
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Is Dune still available on Max? I need to watch it again.
TCTTS
AG
Currently on Max, Netflix, and Hulu.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

1.90 isn't bad at all. It's still a big screen/expanded frame. In fact, that's what I'm choosing to see it in first, with friends. Then, I have a single ticket for true 1.43 a few days later. Yes, 1.43 is more immersive, but with 1.90 you're further back from the screen and can better observe the whole frame. So there are advantages to both.

What I absolutely wouldn't see it in is standard 2.35.

And it drives me nuts that the digital/Blu-ray of the first movie is somehow still in 2.35. Really hoping we get a Part One 1.90 re-release when Part Two hits digital/Blu-ray this summer.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Ugh, that's annoying, I watched it on Netflix assuming it was no longer on Max. Then again I have ads on both.
TCTTS
AG
For the record, Max is the only streamer that has it in 4K.

Netflix is standard HD for some reason (and is leaving the service at the end of the month).

While Hulu only looks to have it if you subscribe to their live TV package, not their standard subscription.

Or... it's only $14.99 to purchase in digital 4K, and you'll own it forever.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
hunter2012 said:

High Fives all around for the book readers...

The Porkchop Express
I gotta watch it again. For some reason I'm just not gung ho about it.
TCTTS
AG
Less than two weeks out and I think tracking is way off/premature (currently $65-75M).

I'm not going to make an exact guess, but I say it does over $100M for the weekend...

YNWA_AG
AG
TCTTS said:

For the record, Max is the only streamer that has it in 4K.

Netflix is standard HD for some reason (and is leaving the service at the end of the month).

While Hulu only looks to have it if you subscribe to their live TV package, not their standard subscription.

Or... it's only $14.99 to purchase in digital 4K, and you'll own it forever.

Or you could have bought the the 4k Blu-ray plus digital during Black Friday for $10. I know denis is going to make me double dip for the imax cut part 1 disc

The disc is gorgeous already.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, I own the 4K disc and will be double dipping for that sweet IMAX ratio for sure. I just figured the physical release was a bridge too far for most people. That said, when the new version is released, if anyone wants my old 4K disc, it's all yours (though the digital copy has already been used)...
RED AG 98
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Ugh, that's annoying, I watched it on Netflix assuming it was no longer on Max. Then again I have ads on both.
I'm sure there are other services that do similar but I nearly always search on jus****ch.com before I stream something just to check who's streaming what, at what res, and for what price. It's not always 100% accurate but I've found it to be super useful. Anyway, no affiliation at all and sorry for the PSA diversion.
RED AG 98
AG
I moved away from physical media about 10 years ago with kids destroying our DVDs. I think Dune was $7 on iTunes when I bought. Stupid, I know. 4K disc is so much better than what anyone streams, and retro-"fixing" or deleting of digital stuff is really freaking annoying.

I think the 4K Bluray plus digital copy is the way to go. Gives you physical media for posterity and ultimate viewing experience, as well as digital copy for the extreme convenience and portability...
TCTTS
AG
100%. I'm slowly but surely working my way through my collection, doing two things... 1) updating what I can to 4K discs, and then 2) making sure every movie has a digital copy in my Apple TV collection. With the digital copies I can not only watch anywhere on any device at any time, but they're great for quick referencing if I need to look up a scene on the fly up for work or something. And then when I want to actually watch a movie all the way through, I watch the discs, due to their higher bitrate, better sound, etc. But then they both basically act as backups for each other, which is cool.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It's probably risky but I've gone 100% digital since about 2012...

I use movies anywhere to get all my owned content across all platforms so I can access via AppleTV or Amazon
RED AG 98
AG
Basically the same for me. I've bought a few disc + digital along the way but I think that's probably fewer than 25% of my 150+ digital movies.

I know some movies have disappeared from digital libraries for some people in some countries but I don't think that's happened to me. That and the recent fixing of that song at the Super Bowl definitely has me second guessing. Not really related to movies but no reason someone couldn't do the same if they chose to do so...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Less than two weeks out and I think tracking is way off/premature (currently $65-75M).

I'm not going to make an exact guess, but I say it does over $100M for the weekend...

I'll take $88M. (More than doubling Part 1's $41M.)
TCTTS
AG
Love this. Spoilers? But not really?

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Elvis and WWE Guardian are brothers and both nephews of floating bad fat dude. Not his sons
ja86
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Elvis and WWE Guardian are brothers and both nephews of floating bad fat dude. Not his sons
'forget it, he's rolling.....'
SpreadsheetAg
AG

That's what you took away from that fantastic overview?? I thought it was hilarious
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

That's what you took away from that fantastic overview?? I thought it was hilarious

That's like claiming more cowbell guys and BB8 keeper are brothers and not cousins. Come on get some realism.
hunter2012
AG
Faustus
NM.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hype is the mind killer?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.