*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,219 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Denis Villeneuve is a producer on this and has been overseeing the development. I have complete faith that he's helping steer it in the right direction, seeing as it's all part of the same world as the movies and his vision. No need to preemptively start worrying just yet.
hunter2012
AG
I hope so, I guess I've lost faith with show writers in general recently, because I see politics and agendas everywhere(and I want to watch shows for pure entertainment). It would be an extreme shame here because the Sisterhood is probably the coolest organization in the Duneverse. I pray the writers can align it with Herbert's vision and not modern politics. Characters are relatable by their common traits of humanity in the crazy situations that they're in, not by their freaking genetic demographic.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TexAgs. Please don't take threads like this off of our watchlist just because it's been a while since there has been a post.
Flatlander
hunter2012 said:

What I fear are shallow writers that'll put masculine traits into the sister characters turning them into action hero Mary Sues(i.e. Rey Palpatine). They had their own armies/warfare and they used men for them. They kill 300 pound goliaths with the voice not with black widow style scissor kicks(see freaking Dune). Yes they had their weirding fighting style but that was the last resort for personal survival, not the first weapon to get what they want.
It would also make them much more like Honored Matres rather than Bene Gesserit.
hunter2012
AG
Freaking for real...

Heretics and Chapterhouse would be a really cool conflict to see on screen. Even that war played out in the Bene-Gesserit ways and means.

"surrendering" to the Honored matres and promising them all the sisterhood's secrets, thereby eventually converting and absorbing the honored matres into the sisterhood is freaking genius. But how many modern writers/studios would have the balls to have the woman protagonists lose in physical combat and become apparently submissive and docile. The showmakers fearing the woke message and temptation for Mary Sue would be too much, I'm afraid.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flatlander said:

hunter2012 said:

What I fear are shallow writers that'll put masculine traits into the sister characters turning them into action hero Mary Sues(i.e. Rey Palpatine). They had their own armies/warfare and they used men for them. They kill 300 pound goliaths with the voice not with black widow style scissor kicks(see freaking Dune). Yes they had their weirding fighting style but that was the last resort for personal survival, not the first weapon to get what they want.
It would also make them much more like Honored Matres rather than Bene Gesserit.

This
TCTTS
AG
The Dirty Sock
TCTTS said:

Unless he's giving mantis more ***t talk I don't think I want to see more of him.
TCTTS
AG
One year from today…
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

One year from today…

To celebrate:

TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
If it's not obvious what her role is, she's the princess Irulan Sounds like she'll have more screen-time than the book. Unless if they decide to get into Dune Messiah.

Thomas Ford 91
AG
Technically speaking, the only characters with more screen time in the book are Paul and maybe Jessica. She has a speaking part in every chapter.
hunter2012
AG
Thomas Ford 91 said:

Technically speaking, the only characters with more screen time in the book are Paul and maybe Jessica. She has a speaking part in every chapter.
That's just exposition commentary since she's narrator of the story.
TCTTS
AG
I really, really need them to release the IMAX version of Part One at home before Part Two hits theaters. For comparison, the Secrets of Dune guy seamlessly, painstakingly assembled all the IMAX footage available online (in 4K, no less) and it almost feels like another movie at times. There's just SO MUCH image we're missing from the current Blu-ray/streaming version...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
Guessing Harkonnen since he plays a great bad guy.
The Dirty Sock
TCTTS said:

Vest with lots of pockets. VEST WITH LOTS OF POCKETS!
Al Bula
AG
Just saying… the source material Sisterhood is based on is complete fanfic garbage written by Frank's son. That is as spoiler free as I can be, but I can see this approaching Amazon LOTR levels of fail. In some ways this is probably going to be worse than LOTR because Frank left a pretty specific outline about his fictitious universe and his greedy idiot son still managed to mess it up.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt these writers are sticking too closely to any of that. A really smart team is behind the series, including Villeneuve himself, and I'd be shocked if he isn't holding this to the same standards as everything else he's involved with.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I seriously doubt these writers are sticking too closely to any of that. A really smart team is behind the series, including Villeneuve himself, and I'd be shocked if he isn't holding this to the same standards as everything else he's involved with.

I don't doubt that but the content won't be anything Frank Herbert wrote aside from possible notes he may have had.
Is this based on stuff his son wrote?

I don't have the same hatred for Brian's prequel work that most others do. It wasn't perfect stiff by any means but the interesting thing about his work vs his dads is that there is almost zero action in Franks Dune books #2-4 (can't speak for 5 and 6 as I haven't read them yet) while Brian's prequel works were much more basic sci-fi fare with action.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like he just wrapped Part Two (caption reads "Dune did it."). Also, the long hair seems to imply a bit of a time jump between movies…

https://instagr.am/p/Cl8ZaIGrofM
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Austin Butler's charisma has me super excited for his role as Feyd-Rautha. The 3 biggest castings of the second part - Butler, Christopher Walken as the Emperor, and Florence Pugh as Princess Irulan are all so impressive, especially considering the cast that's already on board and the very little we've seen of characters like Javier Bardem's Stilgar, who is my favorite guy in the books.

Trying to decide if I want to take great effort to convince my wife to watch Dune or Rogue One next.
Max Power
AG
Has any man ever convinced his wife to watch Dune? I'm guessing Rogue One is going to be an easier sell.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Max Power said:

Has any man ever convinced his wife to watch Dune? I'm guessing Rogue One is going to be an easier sell.

I did. She was like, "That was long and I had no idea what was going on..."

Sigh.
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Max Power said:

I did. She was like, "That was long and I had no idea what was going on..."

Sigh.
Ditto. Sort of my fault. She watched it blind with no background from me.
The Porkchop Express
Mine loves Momoa to the point that she went to see Aquaman, then blamed me when it sucked.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They finished that QUICK.
Flatlander
TCTTS said:

That photo is just begging for a 'caption this' contest.
The Porkchop Express
How's that book reading coming, TC?
TCTTS
AG
Well this sucks. I don't see how they aren't forced to scrap basically everything they've shot since November…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.