*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,587 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am still trying to figure out what the "other" spoiler that TCTTS got on some random's twitter besides the parentage. and if it really is that vitally important, unless this movie goes into a bit of the 2nd book.

is it ?

1. What the water of life is?

2. That Duncan returns even though this is next book?

3. the whole sandworms were placed on Arrakis and the weird spice cycle, although this is obscure and not really relevant

4. What a Navigator looks like? although I did not say this, I was never here

Something else?

TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

TCTTS said:

A slightly truncated version of the behind-the-scenes featurette/clip/trailer that played in theaters before showings of Dune a couple weeks ago (and again starting this Friday). The clip sandwiched in between is a good five minutes of the movie (Paul attempting to ride a sandworm for the first time), so don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled...

Did you watch the whole thing? I respect you scouring the news like you do (and have to), but to actively choose to watch something like this or even read about it when you don't want to be spoiled is counterintuitive.

I watched the opening interviews, and then maybe the first minute or so of the clip, which was so damn cool I decided to stop it and save it for the theater. That sequence is going to be absolutely incredible on the big screen. Then I just ran my mouse over the timeline at the bottom, skipping the next four minutes of the clip, and watched the quick trailer bit at the end, which was maybe 30 seconds.
TCTTS
AG
No way I'm reading those, but the other "spoiler" was someone HEAVILY hinting that Chani dies. However, since then, in interviews, Zendaya has been talking about wanting to work with everyone again in Dune Messiah, so hopefully she lives? Please don't confirm either way.
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

No way I'm reading those, but the other "spoiler" was someone HEAVILY hinting that Chani dies. However, since then, in interviews, Zendaya has been talking about wanting to work with everyone again in Dune Messiah, so hopefully she lives? Please don't confirm either way.
the spoiler was probably that Paul and Chani's first son Leto is killed as a baby and the spoiler giver and/or TCTTS got it a little mixed up.
Flatlander
Arrakis ecologist said:

I am still trying to figure out what the "other" spoiler that TCTTS got on some random's twitter besides the parentage. and if it really is that vitally important, unless this movie goes into a bit of the 2nd book.

is it ?

1. What the water of life is?

2. That Duncan returns even though this is next book?

3. the whole sandworms were placed on Arrakis and the weird spice cycle, although this is obscure and not really relevant

4. What a Navigator looks like? although I did not say this, I was never here

Something else?

Possibly: the emperor needs more cowbell
TCTTS
AG
Warner Bros has officially posted the full, 10-minute version of the "Extended Sneak Preview." Yesterday's truncated version was seven minutes, and the added trailer footage in the beginning and the end is jaw dropping.

I really do think we're in for something truly special here.

The same clip/sequence still takes up the middle section, and I've managed to avoid it once more. The real challenge will be getting up and leaving the theater when before it plays immediately after Dune when I see it in IMAX tomorrow, and then again after Tenet when I see it in IMAX on the 25th...

Chipotlemonger
AG
I've read the books but I am still "going dark". Don't want the visuals ruined.
wangus12
AG
Has anyone seen a theater doing a back to back showing of 1 & 2 yet?
Moral High Horse
MOAR!!!!!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

TCTTS said:

the spoiler was probably that Paul and Chani's first son Leto is killed as a baby and the spoiler giver and/or TCTTS got it a little mixed up.

Which leads me to wonder did Paul allow it to happen? You know Prescience and all…. But maybe that was a different character that had that gift.
Ornithopter
AG
It's here boys

wangus12
AG
I'm so jealous. My wife would probably kill me if I bought another big lego set right now
MASAXET
AG
Ornithopter said:

It's here boys

Most obvious "username checks out" ever?

But, really, that's going to be awesome
TCTTS
AG
I saw Part One twice in theaters, and I've seen huge chunks of it probably 15 times since then, but I hadn't watched it all the way through since 2021, and had never seen it at all in full, 70mm, 1.43:1 IMAX ratio.

Until tonight.

Which was damn near a religious experience.

I can't stand Universal Sh*ttyWalk, but they have the only true 1.43:1 IMAX theater in all of LA (save for the IMAX headquarters theater, which is mostly off-limits to the public), so I finally decided to detour from my usual Chinese Theater IMAX go-to this go-around and give this version a shot. It's also the exact theater Christopher Nolan uses to calibrate and screen his movies in IMAX, and for good reason too, because man, what an experience.

IMO, after tonight, Part One is up there with some of the greatest science fiction movies of all time. Maybe it was because this past holiday season was so crappy, blockbuster-wise, and I hadn't seen a big, IMAX blockbuster since Oppenheimer, that this time just hit harder. But I don't think so. Because the audience, which filled out probably 90% of the theater, ate it up again too, applauding at the end for a movie most of us had already seen a number of times before.

It just feels like people are so primed for Part Two, and I'm more convinced than ever it's going to absolute gangbusters at the box office.

This is all to say, if you can this week, in preparation for Part Two, you owe it to yourself to see Part One again on the biggest screen possible. You won't be sorry.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, speaking of being sorry…

I was there alone tonight, sitting on the isle, which is my preferred seat. And about five minutes before the movie this beautiful woman shows up - who was somehow also alone - smiles, says excuse me as she walks past, and makes her way to a single reserved seat dead center, on my same row. I kept assuming surely she was meeting someone there, but no one ever showed, and as the lights went down I cannot emphasize enough how even more attractive this made her. I never see women show up to movies alone, and on the rare occasion that I do, they're usually not of the could-be-a-model-or-actress variety. But she somehow was, and was there, confidently, for a big, nerdy, sci-fi blockbuster to boot.

At that exact moment, this was basically me...

My dilemma, though, was two-fold: 1) attempt to non-awkwardly strike up a conversation after the movie, on our way out, without being a creep or coming on strong. That said, 2) this would very likely require me to stay for the entire 10-minute preview for Part Two, which I vowed I wouldn't spoil for myself. Sure enough, when the lights came up, and everyone applauded, she didn't budge, and so I had a decision to make. I considered my options for a good 30 seconds, but then stupidly bolted, thinking I could simply hang out in the lobby and wait. When I got there, however, the thought of standing there for another 15 minutes, waiting on the credits and preview to play - and more importantly, waiting, creepily, for someone I hadn't met and only saw - of course weirded me out even more, so I just left.

Did I miss my potential soulmate?

I'm afraid I might have.

Or… maybe, just maybe... fate will intertwine and Arakis will bring us together again for Part Two...

TCTTS
AG
Literally just scrolled past this. I straight up pulled a Costanza. Overthought the whole thing...

YouBet
AG
Forgive me for beating this dead horse but the IMAX site says your normal China Theater will be showing this in 70mm yet you are saying Universal is the only one that really can.

So, are we now saying that we have the following?:
- IMAX
- IMAX + 70mm
- IMAX + 70mm + 1:43:1 ratio

Where the third option is the truth?
Sea Speed
AG
Bro you're supposed to post your missed connections on craigslist
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
330 million people in the US.

Average movie ticket price - $10

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a floor of $3 billion domestically. At least a few people will see it twice.
YouBet
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

330 million people in the US.

Average movie ticket price - $10

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a floor of $3 billion domestically. At least a few people will see it twice.

That's quite the aggressive take. All time domestic leader did $936M and Avatar is all-time global leader with $2.9B.

We will find out.
Ornithopter
AG
I think you missed the sarcasm
YouBet
AG
Ornithopter said:

I think you missed the sarcasm

I probably did. I was only 1 cup of coffee in when I responded.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

Forgive me for beating this dead horse but the IMAX site says your normal China Theater will be showing this in 70mm yet you are saying Universal is the only one that really can.

- IMAX
- IMAX + 70mm

Correct. The Chinese Theater IMAX *is* 70mm, but only for special occasions, as they have to bring in a 70mm projector that literally sits upon a platform built atop seats in the back of the theater. Either way, it's not the full 1.43:1 ratio. It's 1.90:1, which is closer to the traditional 16x9 television ratio. It might actually be somewhere in between the two, as they do try to squeeze every inch they can out of the vertical space on the screen for 70mm IMAX showings. And technically, the Chinese Theater screen is bigger than the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX screen (the Chinese Theater screen is the third largest in North America), but doesn't give you that full, immersive, 1.43:1 ratio effect. It's a giant old theater converted to IMAX, whereas the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX was built *as* an IMAX theater/screen, with the steeper seating and the screen that feels like it's on top of you. Confusing, I know, but that's just this way all this crap has worked out.
TCTTS
AG
I still can't believe the movie capitol of the world has only ONE true 1.43:1 IMAX screen. And at the absolute worst location, too. There used to be another one on the west side, semi close to LAX, at the Howard Hughes center, which was my favorite and my go-to. But it wasn't a chain theater and when they remodeled the outdoor mall there Cinemark bought the theater and for some insane reason got rid of the IMAX. Luckily, that was around the time the Chinese Theater converted to IMAX, but again, not to a truly proper one, and it's located in yet another crazy tourist trap. I just wish someone would build a new, proper, 1.43:1 IMAX screen somewhere in LA that's in a normal, easy-to-access area that's either not at a theme park or not filled with thousands of tourists and sad weirdos dressed as superheroes trying to sell pictures with them.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

- IMAX
- IMAX + 70mm

Correct. The Chinese Theater IMAX *is* 70mm, but only for special occasions, as they have to bring in a 70mm projector that literally sits upon a platform built atop seats in the back of the theater. Either way, it's not the full 1.43:1 ratio. It's 1.90:1, which is closer to the traditional 16x9 television ratio. It might actually be somewhere in between the two, as they do try to squeeze every inch they can out the vertical space on the screen for 70mm IMAX showings. And technically, the Chinese Theater screen is bigger than the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX screen (the Chinese Theater screen is the third largest in North America), but doesn't give you that full, immersive, 1.43:1 ratio effect. It's a giant old theater converted to IMAX, whereas the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX was built *as* an IMAX theater/screen, with the steeper seating and the screen that feels like it's on top of you. Confusing, I know, but that's just this way all this crap has all worked out.

Ok. So that then tells me in Texas any theater carrying this in IMAX just means they have a larger than normal screen, in effect. Most likely not 1:43:1 but bigger than normal and none have 70mm cameras.
RED AG 98
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

- IMAX
- IMAX + 70mm

Correct. The Chinese Theater IMAX *is* 70mm, but only for special occasions, as they have to bring in a 70mm projector that literally sits upon a platform built atop seats in the back of the theater. Either way, it's not the full 1.43:1 ratio. It's 1.90:1, which is closer to the traditional 16x9 television ratio. It might actually be somewhere in between the two, as they do try to squeeze every inch they can out the vertical space on the screen for 70mm IMAX showings. And technically, the Chinese Theater screen is bigger than the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX screen (the Chinese Theater screen is the third largest in North America), but doesn't give you that full, immersive, 1.43:1 ratio effect. It's a giant old theater converted to IMAX, whereas the Universal Sh*ttyWalk AMC IMAX was built *as* an IMAX theater/screen, with the steeper seating and the screen that feels like it's on top of you. Confusing, I know, but that's just this way all this crap has all worked out.

Ok. So that then tells me in Texas any theater carrying this in IMAX just means they have a larger than normal screen, in effect. Most likely not 1:43:1 but bigger than normal and none have 70mm cameras.
I believe there are two in Texas, one in Dallas and one in San Antonio. (link)

The screen at Bullock in Austin is actually still 1.43:1, they just switched to the dual laser digital setup a few years backs because there are way more films in the genres they typically carry (not only feature films but documentaries, nature flicks and the like).
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Go down to "Americas" at this Wiki link and you can see exactly which theaters have 1.43:1. At a quick glance, it looks to be less than half off all the IMAX screens in the country…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues
TCTTS
AG
According to that Wiki link there are five 1.43:1 IMAX screens in Texas, which is more than I thought. One in each of Austin, Dallas, and Houston, and then two in San Antonio.
YouBet
AG
RED AG 98 said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

- IMAX
- IMAX + 70mm

I believe there are two in Texas, one in Dallas and one in San Antonio. (link)

The screen at Bullock in Austin is actually still 1.43:1, they just switched to the dual laser digital setup a few years backs because there are way more films in the genres they typically carry (not only feature films but documentaries, nature flicks and the like).

Thanks but here's the problem. That article is incorrect assuming IMAX's own site is correct.

Straight from imax.com:

Participating Dune: Part Two IMAX 70mm Film Theatres:

UNITED STATES

Harkins Arizona Mills 25 & IMAX - Tempe, AZ
AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX - San Francisco, CA
Regal Edwards Irvine Spectrum & IMAX - Irvine, CA
TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX - Hollywood, CA
Universal Cinema AMC at CityWalk Hollywood & IMAX - Universal City, CA
IMAX, Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis, IN
AMC Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX - New York, NY
Regal UA King of Prussia & IMAX - King of Prussia, PA
Regal Opry Mills & IMAX - Nashville, TN
RED AG 98
AG
The article was about Oppenhiemer, so maybe rather than wrong it's just not congruent with Dune 2 (or not yet anyway).
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I would worry less about 70mm and more about it being in 1.43:1. The latter is the real draw, and what gives it that giant, immersive feel. Personally, if I were seeing it in 1.90:1 IMAX I could not care less if it was in 70mm or not, as laser is damn good too.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I would worry less about 70mm and more about it being in 1.43:1. The latter is the real draw, and what gives it that giant, immersive feel. Personally, if I were seeing it in 1.90:1 IMAX I could not care less if it was in 70mm or not, as laser is damn good too.

Agreed which is where I pretty much landed on previous post.
TCTTS
RED AG 98
AG
TCTTS said:

According to that Wiki link there are five 1.43:1 IMAX screens in Texas, which is more than I thought. One in each of Austin, Dallas, and Houston, and then two in San Antonio.
And of these, according to wiki at least, only Austin and San Antonio are giant format screens. No idea how accruate that may be.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, missed that. Of course. It's so insanely confusing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.