*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,331 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
IIIHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Arrakis ecologist said:

IIIHorn said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Worm riding in the trailer - Seems like a big shiny object to detract from the obvious flaws in this movie
I agree, they should have done away with the worms in this Dune adaption.

Global worming

Global Deworming. And that IS what the next few books are about.

Is Dean Wormer the protagonist?

Al Bula
AG
IIIHorn said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

IIIHorn said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Worm riding in the trailer - Seems like a big shiny object to detract from the obvious flaws in this movie
I agree, they should have done away with the worms in this Dune adaption.

Global worming

Global Deworming. And that IS what the next few books are about.

Is Dean Wormer the protagonist?

cbr
AG
Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, baron.
IIIHorn
cbr said:

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, baron.

Ha!

Genius response!

I am not worthy.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Flatlander
TCTTS said:

That's not Aquaman. That's a ghola! Watch out Paul!
TCTTS
AG
This. Our audience of 900 or so erupted in cheers at the end of this trailer last night…

Ol Jock 99
AG
Super excited...but still mad at Villeneuve for making Harkonnen, which is obviously pronounced Har-Co-Nan, into Har-kin-en.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Bird Poo
AG
How far in advance do IMAX tickets go on sale? Particularly Dallas.
TCTTS
AG
If it holds its release date and doesn't get moved, I would say early to mid October.
Zeke1995
AG
My son is really looking forward to this. It opens after he leaves for film school and I wish I could watch it in theaters with him.
Bird Poo
AG
TCTTS said:

If it holds its release date and doesn't get moved, I would say early to mid October.
Al Bula
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Super excited...but still mad at Villeneuve for making Harkonnen, which is obviously pronounced Har-Co-Nan, into Har-kin-en.
you aren't mad the Harkonnens look like the offspring of the I Am Legend vampires and Engineers?

TCTTS
AG
Rocagnante
AG
&ct=g

hunter2012
AG
hunter2012
AG
I fell into option 4, where is everyone else? I also like where Chapterhouse ended, while a cliffhanger it was an optimistic one. I just fear the downgrade in quality if I were to continue.

Ornithopter
AG
Man, Chapterhouse by itself was just the biggest WTF with the ending. Wasn't really that bad, almost kinda cool as cliffhangers go, but so weird.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Option 2 was all I could do. I'd read that successive books were either not great or just really out-there, so I quit reading. Since I re-read Dune before the first movie came out, I did re-acquire Messiah and got Children, so might just go ahead and get God Emperor and finish out that third option.
#FJB
YouBet
AG
Cool post.

I've read through Option 3. I own all of the books but I'm not sure I care to finish them out. Frankly, everything past the original novel is a slog. I've posted this before but if people are looking for a series where it's all like book 1, you will be sorely disappointed. Messiah, Children, and God Emperor are much more philosophical treatise than anything. Almost zero action. Dune #1 is almost a bait and switch in that regard. And FTR, Dune, Messiah, and Children were a trilogy according to Frank. God Emperor takes place thousands of years after Children.

I've also read six of Brian Herbert's prequels many, many years ago. Again, they weren't that bad. People are so butthurt over those books. I think many that trash them like to play the card of being a Dune purist and loving the originals because of their very heavy intellectual and philosophical bent while the prequels are action space opera. Completely different focus and whether or not Brian usurped his Dad's notes I have no idea, but I enjoyed them for what they were....at least the six that I read.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I did option 4; I really liked the last 2 books. Teg became my favorite character.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I did option 4. Probably won't reread all of them, but I did reread Dune last year. May reread the 2nd since it is so much tied to 1.
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I did option 4. Probably won't reread all of them, but I did reread Dune last year. May reread the 2nd since it is so much tied to 1.
I almost never take this position, but this is one of the rare times that I think one can stop reading after the first book and never wonder or regret not reading any books after it. Book 2, while relatively short, is boring as all get out. It does expand upon Herbert's themes that were hinted at in book 1 but it also completely changes the original understanding of book 1.

Anywho, just my opinion.
Flatlander
The first three books are all contiguous (timeline-wise) and do constitite a trilogy. For me the natural breaking point is between books 3 and 4, not 2 and 3. Also Children of Dune is my favorite of the six.

God Emporer is in its own timeline. The last two books are both contiguous (well the last 4 are contiguous if you include Brian Herbert's completion of the series; hint: don't).

The final two books are more like the original in that they are more plot-driven; definitely a sharp contrast coming off of God Emporer. For me, the best things about the those two books is gaining a much deeper understanding of the Bene Gesserit and, of course, Teg.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I may just leave it at that. I'm also the type that would probably want to read 3 after 2, and so on and so forth. So might be best to just stop while I'm ahead.

I do have good memories of some of the latter books (2-6), but I honestly can't recall all the points and characters.
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Yea I may just leave it at that. I'm also the type that would probably want to read 3 after 2, and so on and so forth. So might be best to just stop while I'm ahead.

I do have good memories of some of the latter books (2-6), but I honestly can't recall all the points and characters.
I'm pretty fresh off a read of books 1-4. There isn't much to recall in books 2-4 because it was many hundreds of pages of philosophical monologues and 1:1 conversations.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Flatlander said:

TCTTS said:

That's not Aquaman. That's a ghola! Watch out Paul!

I suspect these two pictures were done on purpose together
AliasMan02
AG
NoooooooooOOOOOOOOO

Atreides Ornithopter
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Horrible decision.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Ffffffffffffffffff
#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.