*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

140,018 Views | 1415 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by oragator
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
See it in 1.43!

https://www.reddit.com/r/imax/s/5VXrDZODsq

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As with most people, I'll have to settle for LieMAX.

At least it's better than a standard movie screen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Someone should make a movie where you only see boobs if you are watching in true IMAX. It would draw attention to the ridiculousness of the setup.
RED AG 98
AG
Makes me wonder how ratings are determined. Is it possible for a standard release film to carry a lighter MPAA rating than the large format version of the same film?
jamesagg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which one of these is like the Edward's IMAX in Houston off Silber and I10?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty sure that's a real IMAX, so you might have the 70mm / 1.43:1 there. Don't know for sure there, haven't been there in years.

I did watch TDK in that theater, which was amazing. So I'm sure it'll be good either way.
YouBet
AG
I own very little physical media these days. I will buy a 4K Blu-Ray about once a year for something I really, really want to own. Dune will be one of those, but I'll wait for IMAX cuts.

The gap in video has largely been closed now that movies are streamed in 4K. Sound is the biggest differentiator at this point, but for anyone that read through the Sound Mix thread on here around a year ago mixing sound for at home movies has become a crap shoot.

My reference disc for sound is still Master and Commander which has the best sound of any movie I've watched at home. Having said that, we moved and I no longer have my home theater sound setup like I did at old house. Miss that.
RED AG 98
AG
jamesagg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which one of these is like the Edward's IMAX in Houston off Silber and I10?
Looks to be single laser IMAX, which is digital 1.90 format on the bottom right.
Theaters LF Examiner
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is a really great graphic, where you can actually tell the HDR-like differences in the colors/contrast I've mentioned before, between 70mm and 4K digital. That said, my only note is that I've consistently found the 4K digital IMAX version to actually be brighter than the 70mm IMAX version.
TCTTS
AG
A new batch just dropped...

TCTTS
AG
There are a ton more out there, all equally as effusive in their praise.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed
AG
There seriously needs to be an imax thread because there's so much confusion about it and it happens on thread after thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fun fact, Dune re-release outgrossed Madame Web.
RED AG 98
AG
Oh nice I didn't even notice the color as I was on my phone earlier. Very cool!
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is a really great graphic, where you can actually tell the HDR-like differences in the colors/contrast I've mentioned before, between 70mm and 4K digital. That said, my only note is that I've consistently found the 4K digital IMAX version to actually be brighter than the 70mm IMAX version.
Is it supposed to be? That 70mm shot is way brighter than the digital one.

Maybe I don't understand how we define brighter in this context. Wouldn't be the first time.
TCTTS
AG
To me, when I look at that graphic, the 70mm image definitely appears brighter than the 4K digital image. And I assume, in a perfect viewing environment, that's the intent. But just like HDR on my TV, I've found the 70mm image to, yes, feature more vibrant colors, with darker blacks - but - it's a noticeably dimmer image overall than the 4K digital. I've observed this at both the Chinese Theater IMAX and the Universal CityWalk AMC IMAX, both theaters of which Christopher Nolan has personally helped calibrate. So I can't image they were "wrong," but that said, the 70mm image was absolutely dimmer than the laser/4K/digital, in the exact same theater (and even in the same viewing, when the 70mm projector broke and they had to switch to laser/4K/digital in the middle of our initial Oppenheimer viewing).
TCTTS
AG
I've seen this comparison twice now, from two different people, yet I have zero recollection of the climactic Spider-Man/Goblin fight involving any kind of extended hand-to-hand combat, much less it being an apparent benchmark masterwork of fight choreography. In fact, I haven't thought about that sequence once since 2002, and all I can even recall about it is a vague memory of some quick punches being exchanged and then the Goblin being impaired by his glider...

Ornithopter
AG
The comment about it being "the best 3rd act since The Way of Water" is kinda funny. Like, maybe they haven't seen a movie in a while?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a random as hell reference point, as someone of prime age who saw that movie 7 times in theaters.

Probably should've used Neo vs Smith from Matrix 1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ornithopter said:

The comment about it being "the best 3rd act since The Way of Water" is kinda funny. Like, maybe they haven't seen a movie in a while?

Well this one makes sense though. That movie is less than two years old. How many massive blockbuster action movies with epic climaxes have come out in the last 14 months?
Bird Poo
AG
Any of these critics give rave reviews of True Detective Night Country?

I hope not.
TCTTS
AG
Can't stop, won't stop...

TCTTS
AG

Ornithopter
AG
Bird Poo said:

Any of these critics give rave reviews of True Detective Night Country?

I hope not.

Best TV series set in ice since snowpiercer
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

One thing I'm still not clear on is why many "real" IMAX theaters (ie. Edwards in Houston) don't have 70mm. Is it just a small subset of IMAX theaters who have kept their 70mm film projectors around and/or have the personnel to run the projectors?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

RED AG 98
AG
I think it's all about cost and convenience. As the film projectors have aged out or those theater have upgraded to digital, it didn't make financial sense to repair / replace / operate for the very small inventory that uses the format. It's also physically massive! Check these out:

The Oppenheimer 70mm Film Reel Weighs 600 Pounds and is 11 Miles Long | PetaPixel
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good lord.
RED AG 98
AG
Did you watch the TikTok in Oppenheimer link? Unreal how many reels

Also, i think TA can finally drop Vine embeds in favor of TikTok....
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
IDK, Vines making a comeback man.
YNWA_AG
AG
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

I've seen this comparison twice now, from two different people, yet I have zero recollection of the climactic Spider-Man/Goblin fight involving any kind of extended hand-to-hand combat, much less it being an apparent benchmark masterwork of fight choreography. In fact, I haven't thought about that sequence once since 2002, and all I can even recall about it is a vague memory of some quick punches being exchanged and then the Goblin being impaired by his glider...

I can't remember anything remarkable about the combat in that film either. The first thing that comes to mind for me is the hallway fight in the Daredevil series on Netflix.
RED AG 98
AG
I remember Dafoe as Goblin because he was fantastic. I remember his little flying hooverboard glider thing.
Such as weird comparison to make to a mostly unmemorable scene in a movie that's now 20 years old.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.