*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

140,002 Views | 1415 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by oragator
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

The Porkchop Express said:

They left out the dinner scene where Paul shows his political might. I just can't get over it.

I know this has been discussed on here before. Didn't they film parts of it for Part I, but it didn't make the Final Cut? I can't remember the details.

If it does exist on film out there, then hopefully one day down the road we get an extended trilogy release like the LOTR extended edition.

(Which I still need to watch, by the way).
maybe we get it in a flashback. since where they left off in the book is 2/3rds into it. and the 2nd movie is longer?
The Porkchop Express
AG
IDK why you'd need a flashback to something that was happening during the events of the story you're telling. I hate to harp on it like a ***** butit's probably my favorite part of the book.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's worth harping on, the dinner scene is a great great read. Part of what take Dune as a book to masterpiece level.
Flatlander
hunter2012 said:

DTP02 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

DTP02 said:

Is Dune Messiah the book that goes off the rails?
Paul starts staying he's bigger than Jesus in that one, so probably so.

I didn't read it but I heard there was a book where he turns into a sand worm. That's not Dune Messiah right?
Nope, That's Children of Dune(which is still a very good book and caps Paul Muad'dib's arc).
Also, the spoiler does not apply to Paul; It's his son, Leto, that turns into a sand worm
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I agree that the dinner scene is one of the best of the books, but I am also glad Villeneuve was bold enough to cut it out.

I think the problem most adaptations have is they feel too precious with the book they are adapting. Things that work in books, which take time to work through, and which people are picking up and putting down over and over, don't necessarily translate well to a 2 hour film adaptation. The dinner scene works in the book because it really raises the intrigue around characters and the stakes of things and how they have to move in the world they are inhabiting. The movie does this very well without that scene already, and it would just feel more like an exposition dump or underlining themes and motives instead of playing them out more subtly like the film is able to do.

ANYWAY. Thats my two cents on that. I mean, it would have been great to see some of those interactions, but I respect that Villeneuve took it out to service the story.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
veryfuller said:

I agree that the dinner scene is one of the best of the books, but I am also glad Villeneuve was bold enough to cut it out.

I think the problem most adaptations have is they feel too precious with the book they are adapting. Things that work in books, which take time to work through, and which people are picking up and putting down over and over, don't necessarily translate well to a 2 hour film adaptation. The dinner scene works in the book because it really raises the intrigue around characters and the stakes of things and how they have to move in the world they are inhabiting. The movie does this very well without that scene already, and it would just feel more like an exposition dump or underlining themes and motives instead of playing them out more subtly like the film is able to do.

ANYWAY. Thats my two cents on that. I mean, it would have been great to see some of those interactions, but I respect that Villeneuve took it out to service the story.
Well, it's been established that part 1 and part 2 run well over 2 hours.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Ha

I was making a generalization about the length of a movie...or perhaps what it should be. All these 3 hour+ movies coming out now....
Sea Speed
AG
I wish we could get a 5 or 6 hour cut that doesn't feel like two movies and instead tells it all straight through. That would be awesome. I know it would be a niche market but not having to feel disjointed because you're staring cold half way through would be really cool imo.
TCTTS
AG
Good gosh, this was the theater I was thinking about seeing it in. Not anymore...

Decay
AG
TCTTS said:

Good gosh, this was the theater I was thinking about seeing it in. Not anymore...

Front and center soldier!!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
With the demand so far, I'm going to wait and see if they add more showings first.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You guys want the dinner scene; I want to see Josh Brolin play the Baliset.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Sea Speed said:

I wish we could get a 5 or 6 hour cut that doesn't feel like two movies and instead tells it all straight through. That would be awesome. I know it would be a niche market but not having to feel disjointed because you're staring cold half way through would be really cool imo.
Release the Snyder cut of Dune! All black and white and Duncan Idaho is now played by Cyborg.
Rocagnante
AG
Sea Speed said:

That would be bad ass!
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

You guys want the dinner scene; I want to see Josh Brolin play the Baliset.

They filmed a scene of Brolin doing just that, but it was cut for whatever reason...

That said, I remember reading something, before Part Two started filming, where Villeneuve said he was going to try his best to work a scene into the sequel of Brolin playing it again, since they loved it so much the first go around.
jamesagg
AG
Do we know if the music played in the last trailer is actual music from the movie?
TCTTS
AG
Surely it is. At least I really, really hope so. I'd never heard that track anywhere else, and it sounds exactly like something that evolved from the first film's score.
TCTTS
AG
As for all the deleted scenes, including hints of a "party scene" that was filmed (that sounds like it would have served the purpose of the banquet scene), this video does an excellent job summarizing them all...

jamesagg
AG
TCTTS said:

Surely it is. At least I really, really hope so. I'd never heard that track anywhere else, and it sounds exactly like something that evolved from the first film's score.

That's what I assumed as well, just didn't know if there's official music out there yet?
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

As a non-book reader, I'm with you. As much as I still want to see a director's cut, I think any kind of big exposition-dumb party/banquet scene would have likely killed the momentum of the film in that stretch.
TCTTS
AG
jamesagg said:

TCTTS said:

That's what I assumed as well, just didn't know if there's official music out there yet?

Not yet. I'm guessing the soundtrack drops in a month or so?
TCTTS
AG

Chipotlemonger
AG
Are those posters? Those are killer
TCTTS
AG
Yep...

https://bottleneckgallery.com/
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome. I have a Man on Wire poster on my garage wall that was one hung up at a theater. Most of the posters online/for sale are different than it. I liked the movie theater one better. It's my only current movie poster, would love to get more but don't really have the spot for them all right now.
Carlo4
AG
42 more days... Really difficult to wait!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
No official word yet, but just FYI, it sounds like tickets go on sale this Friday. If so, I'm guessing that the return of Part One to theaters on Wednesday will serve as/coincide with an announcement.
jamesagg
AG
Wouldn't be a bad time to get a final trailer as well.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm going dark on video content. Even if another trailer drops I won't be watching it at this point. They've put enough out already to satiate.
jamesagg
AG
The IMAX at Edward's off I-10 in Houston is sold out for tonight's Dune showing is pretty much sold out.
TCTTS
AG
Anyone attending this tonight, in any city? It's basically sold out in all of LA too, save for a few crappy seats still available. Will be curious to hear about the Part Two footage, if anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.