Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

236,363 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Yours may be the oddest complaint I've ever heard about star wars.
Nah, my oddest complaint is about how sand is coarse and irritating and that it gets everywhere
aTmAg
AG
I don't hate TFA, I just don't think it's as good as RO. I remember consciously thinking during RO that this movie kicks ass. The last time I remember doing that was T2.

My order would be:

ESB > RToJ (would be #1 if there were no ewoks) > R1 > ANH > TFA >>> RoTS >> AotC >>>>>>>> tPM

The phantom menace was so bad that I was actually angry during the movie. That probably ruined all the prequels for me.
The Collective
AG
aTmAg said:

ESB > RToJ (would be #1 if there were no ewoks)

You aren't the first person I've seen say this. It's amazing how great ROTJ (original version) could be if you just subbed Wookies for Ewoks and modern weaponry for slingshots and sticks/tree trunks.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It was about halfway through my 2nd viewing last night when it struck me: "there really aren't any white guys in this movie." Then, I shrugged and continued enjoying the rest of the film because I didn't really give a sh*t.
PlanoAggie
AG
Brother BMX,

It's ok if I expect the droid to be more robot-like -- I actually think it makes the character more fun.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're getting all worked up, after all, like you said, it is just a fiction movie.

I'm just glad to be discussing SW almost 40 years after the original I'm looking forward to the next one!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
as mentioned on the other general SW film.....

Not sure why we are feeling the need to just compare RO and TFA and seemingly have to Love/Hate one or the other.

Both were great and maybe you liked one better than the other fine. but in the SW universe context both are still great entries and (for most) still far better than any prequels.

They are both above the Mendoza that separates the Prequels....

for me

4 > 5 > RO > TFA > 6
---------------------------------------mendoza line
3 >>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

It was about halfway through my 2nd viewing last night when it struck me: "there really aren't any white guys in this movie." Then, I shrugged and continued enjoying the rest of the film because I didn't really give a sh*t.
there are white guys...they are evil and die....as it should be (said the white guy)
wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

there are white guys...they are evil and die....as it should be (said the SJW)

FIFY
wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

aTmAg said:

You aren't the first person I've seen say this. It's amazing how great ROTJ (original version) could be if you just subbed Wookies for Ewoks and modern weaponry for slingshots and sticks/tree trunks.
Agreed. That would have been so freaking cool
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wangus12 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

there are white guys...they are evil and die....as it should be (said the SJW)

FIFY

it was a joke....notice the winky face. tongue in cheek......too soon?
wangus12
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
CJS4715 said:

aTmAg said:

but they didnt...and turned out to be the beginning of the end for Lucas. The Ewoks using sticks and stones to take down AT-ATs is Jar Jar level bad. If that movie didn't have slave Leia or the ending it did, I personally would have lumped it with Ep. 1 & 2.

ESB, VI, TFA, III, IV, II, I --> purists can't believe me when I put ANH only ahead of ep. 1 & 2, but idc. The first hour or so is dreadfully boring and painfully acted. I can respect it for being the launch point for the series I love, but in terms of watchability and enjoyment, it's a little lower for me.
Ag Since 83
AG
Discussing race in Star Wars...what could go wrong (start at 3:20...)

Philip J Fry
AG
Purists or sane people? Anyone who says Ep III is better than the OT should have their opinion immediately discounted.
SF2004
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Purists or sane people? Anyone who says Ep III is better than the OT should have their opinion immediately discounted.

Seriously do you guys even listen to yourselves?

Philip J Fry
AG
Not my fault his opinion is wrong.
M.C. Swag
AG
jenniferlawrenceok.gif
aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

CJS4715 said:

aTmAg said:

but they didnt...and turned out to be the beginning of the end for Lucas. The Ewoks using sticks and stones to take down AT-ATs is Jar Jar level bad. If that movie didn't have slave Leia or the ending it did, I personally would have lumped it with Ep. 1 & 2.

ESB, VI, TFA, III, IV, II, I --> purists can't believe me when I put ANH only ahead of ep. 1 & 2, but idc. The first hour or so is dreadfully boring and painfully acted. I can respect it for being the launch point for the series I love, but in terms of watchability and enjoyment, it's a little lower for me.
Jar jar wasn't the only thing that made episode 1 bad. You have the fact that a 10 year old kid accidentally won a war by himself, terrible dialog, immaculate conception, midochlorians, boring ass politics, etc. You had MAYBE 2 good aspects: the final light saber scene and the pod race (though it was out of place and too long).

RotJ had ton of awesome parts: the jabba act, Yoda's Leah reveal and death, forest chase scene, the emperor/Vader/Luke saber fight (including Vader and emperor's death), the space battle. In fact, I think the space battle of RotJ was by far the best of every SW until maybe R1. Especially the escape from the reactor chamber (which I still think is the most visually awe inspiring 3 seconds of any movie I can think of)

It has 3 bad parts (and they are all ewok related): the whole ewok capture and C3PO worship part, the part of the forest battle with ewoks (the At-Ats were still awesome), and the stupid ewok celebration scene (which was changed in the more recent versions).

The comparison of RotJ to any of the prequels is ridiculous, IMO. RotJ is full of iconic moments. The prequels have none I can think of.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

The comparison of RotJ to any of the prequels is ridiculous, IMO. RotJ is full of iconic moments. The prequels have none I can think of.
I compared 1 part of RotJ to Ep. 1, not the entire movie. Notice it's still 2nd on my list?
Farmer1906
AG
M.C. Swag said:

jenniferlawrenceok.gif
Now this is just lazy
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

there are white guys...they are evil and die....as it should be (said the white guy)

and they all have British accents.
Farmer1906
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

and they all have British accents.
So does Rey. She's a witch... I mean imperial. Burn her!
Ag Since 83
AG
aTmAg said:

You have the fact that a 10 year old kid accidentally won a war by himself,
Hey, show some respect. He's a person and his name is Anakin!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

4 > 5 > RO > TFA > 6
The Muppet Show episode>>>>>3 >>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

Farmer1906
AG
This is so bad its good so I'd probably rank it ahead of Ep1.

aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Quote:

I compared 1 part of RotJ to Ep. 1, not the entire movie. Notice it's still 2nd on my list?
I misread your list. At least Lucas killed a bunch of ewoks. He made us endure Jar-Jar for 3 movies.
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

aTmAg said:

You have the fact that a 10 year old kid accidentally won a war by himself,
Hey, show some respect. He's a person and his name is Anakin!

I lold.
AliasMan02
AG
aggie1906 said:

Look at all the TM marks on all the names.
Duncan Idaho
aggie1906 said:

Laugh all you want but the holiday special gave us a certain Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

4 > 5 > RO > TFA > 6
The Muppet Show episode>>>>>3 >>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

ok

4 > 5 > RO > TFA > 6
The Muppet Show episode>>>>>3 >>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>Xmas special>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ewok Specials>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

twilly
AG
aggie1906 said:

I'm horrified that I even thought this, but here it goes...

...is the Holiday Special canon?

(please don't shoot me)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

The one thing missing from RO.......the crawl........ well now you have it thanks to a fan creation.

not the best but it'll do....at least you get the dramatic intro....watch this before you go if you haven't seen it!!!!

I do like the use of the word "dastardly"...but otherwise some wording is "forced" no pun intended.

http://uproxx.com/movies/rogue-one-opening-crawl-fanmade/

text:

The Jedi are all but extinct,
the Republic has fallen and in their
wake, the Galactic Empire has
engulfed the far reaches of the
galaxy in fear.

Persecuted members of the Old
Republic have been thrust into
hiding. Only members of the
REBEL ALLIANCE dare take a
stand against the ruthless
Imperial forces.

Deep in the Outer Rim territories,
the dastardly Director Krennic
has discovered the location of a
long lost friend; one capable of
completing the Empire's most
powerful weapon yet...

biobioprof
Saw it last night and my wife and I both loved it. Overall I think it may be better as a standalone than anything other than the original Ep IV.

Random thoughts:

I think it may be better if, like me, you go in completely unaware of the other stuff out there that's discussed a lot in this thread.

I actually forgot that I had read before hand that it was "anthology" not "saga" and so I was confused during the planet hopping and it took a while to place it in the timeline, thought "whoa how did that hot british girl from TFA get put in an imperial labor camp?"

Like most sci-fi/fantasy movies it's better if you forget about things like:
  • why is the antenna control stuck out on a diving board way the hell up on the tower?
  • who puts a master switch out in the open on a planet that looks like it gets significant rainfall?
  • was the iris thing in the tower that was snapping open and shut a shout out to Galaxy Quest?

CGI Cushing didn't bother me. Saw it in 3D.

Vader joke about choking didn't bother me. Agree with those who put it with some of his earlier comments in the original trilogy.

If there was a character whose under-development bugged me, it was Cassian.

I don't get the "it's just a war movie" critique. The whole series is called Star Wars.

The post-release over-analysis is part of the fun with this franchise. This piece at Wired is amusing wrt the war part:
Quote:

Lack of planning at the senior levels of the Rebel Alliance trickles down to the lowest level as well. When Jyn and Rebel officer Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) team up with a group of Rebel troops to mount a crazy raid on Scarif, they don't plan for any outcome past the first stage: getting there. Jyn's mission brief is, essentially, "We're going to go until we hit the next obstacle, overcome it, and then go from there." You may just need to re-evaluate your grasp on the war-fighting functions if this is what you think military planning is.
Quote:

Contrast this with the Imperial officers, who, when presented with a crisis, either ask for more data or push the question to a higher echelon. There's no more clear example of their misplaced priorities than Director Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn) heading up small unit operations on Scarif -- which is essentially like a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff directing a platoon-level firefight. The Empire is mighty, but still bends its knee to Micromanagement. But hey, that's what you get when you have a political appointee running joint Imperial operations who likes to force-choke people he disagrees with.

V8Aggie
AG
I'd give my left nut for an Admiral Thrawn movie!
aTmAg
AG
Any superfans know if Lucas wrote the dialog for OT? Or did he have help with that? The difference between OT and the prequels is night and day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.