Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,807 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
israeliag said:

I actually thought R1 was exactly what we needed out of the prequels, much more so than EpVII. The prequels had every opportunity to be a terrific tragedy, and R1 was such a great and enjoyable tragedy (and where the tragedy only helped the story).
That's a fair point, though I think you could argue that either way depending what you were looking for. TFA just felt like Star Wars to me, moreso than R1. That isn't a knock on R1 at all, it had a chance to do something a bit different and it took the opportunity well.

Agreed on the tone vs the prequels though, we knew what had to happen in Eps 1-3 and because of their content they needed to be different in tone from the original trilogy. They did (technically) deliver all the needed elements to get us to A New Hope, but the ride to get there wasn't at all what we'd hoped for.

Either way, I'm quite happy with R1 and TFA being very different but both very enjoyable films.
The Collective
AG
One thing I have to admit, when the kids put TFA on the TV, I always stop down for a second to hear the opening line: "This will begin to make things right".

Indeed, it has.
AliasMan02
AG
The difference in tone is the difference between a saga film and anthology, imo. I think the change in feel is important to keep things fresh.
fig96
AG
Exactly what I was getting at.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watched TFA on the flight home a few weeks ago. Have to agree that it's extremely rewatchable, just like ANH.
TXAG 05
AG
I don't know. TFA is on tv almost every day and I rarely have any desire to even stop and see where they are.
israeliag
AG
Quote:

TFA just felt like Star Wars to me, moreso than R1.
Completely agree, and that's probably why we loved R1 so much. I recall multiple times thinking how did Disney approve this? (in a weird glee like excitement, if that makes sense) even before the end was clear.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Just had my second viewing......loved it. Probably better the 2nd time. Picked up on a lot of little things too.

This time was in 3D though and yeah the CGI characters are worse in 3D. It's the movement though, not the look so much, but I'm convinced now that is why it is worse in 3D. the looks and mannerisms in 3D are more noticeably "wooden" for lack of a better term. there is not natural fluidity and it is exacerbated by 3D.

One specific little thing I noticed and had not seen mentioned.....

The labor camp where Jyn is broken out of is called Wobani....hello....Obi-Wan anagram.

Philip J Fry
AG
israeliag said:

Quote:

TFA just felt like Star Wars to me, moreso than R1.
Completely agree, and that's probably why we loved R1 so much. I recall multiple times thinking how did Disney approve this? (in a weird glee like excitement, if that makes sense) even before the end was clear.

Could not disagree more.
JuliusCaesarAggie
May have already been posted, but hilarious nonetheless

TCTTS
AG
Me, personally... I thought that was hilarious.
TCTTS
AG
Also, vistas.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
R1 felt more like star wars to because it is more centered around the time of the original series. That and my favorite character is Han, not one of the Jedi, so the Jedi being more behind the scenes in R1 make it better to me.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

You are overlooking the fact that the grittiness of this movie... that validates me as an adult who likes a children's fantasy series

Quote:

I am going to give this film an 8 out of 10. It's a far better film than the Force Awakens which I gave a 9 out of 10
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

HEY!!!!!!...at least we are arguing about which is "BETTER"....unlike the prequels which made us argue about which was worse.

Thrilled to have good-to-great-to-awesome SW movies to argue about the greatness of them.

And 2 more in the next 2 or so years...wow!!!!!

After 6 Lucas SW films in 28 years I am thrilled to have 5-6 more now in what appears to be <8 years by the time the other anthology movies and Ep. IX are done.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

Equating Donald Trump and terrorists ... me personally, these magpies are morons.
RebAg13
AG
Making fun of collider
JuliusCaesarAggie
In this age of Donald Trump and terrorism, what people really want to see is Darth Vader hacking people to death.
YouBet
AG
Quote:

Star Wars land in magic kingdom CA and FL

Well, I have one of my future vacations planned.
Duncan Idaho
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

Equating Donald Trump and terrorists ... me personally, these magpies are morons.

Lol

The joke

Your head.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

Lol

The joke

Your head.
Great.
oragator
Up to 980mm worldwide and should cross 500mm domestic tomorrow.
astros4545
billtheag89
AG
redd38 said:

I really hope they make a sequel, I want to know what happens to that pretty lady they give the plans to at the end.

Can't wait to see Rogue Two, myself.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2016/11/30/star-wars-rogue-one-is-not-getting-a-sequel-and-that-is-a-good-thing/#87bc4f16a423
SlackerAg
AG
I lost it when one of the planets was Eadu -- like Eado (East Downtown).
Liquid Wrench
oragator said:

Up to 980mm worldwide and should cross 500mm domestic tomorrow.
I added to the domestic take today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rogue One officially joins the $500M club. (Only the 7th movie all-time to do so, and ties Avatar's record of 32 days to $500M.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=500&p=.htm

It's sort of insane that at this point in its box office run, Avatar still had another $245 million to make.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Next up: $1 billion worldwide. Should be hitting that by the end of this weekend at the latest.
AliasMan02
AG
Thanks for keeping an eye on it. I like the updates.
TheOriginalRedBaron
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rogue One officially joins the $500M club. (Only the 7th movie all-time to do so, and ties Avatar's record of 32 days to $500M.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=500&p=.htm

It's sort of insane that at this point in its box office run, Avatar still had another $245 million to make.
Avatar was a movie with strong legs. Its fans would want to see it again and again.

Less so for Rogue One because of the tragic ending.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Rogue One has a decent return viewing factor due to the format of the first half of the movie. It went quickly and moved around enough that I was curious to see it again, which I never go back to see a movie a 2nd time in a theater. But I did for this one.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Haven't posted on here yet.

Rogue One was awesome. I was a late viewer, caught it over the weekend.
Cromagnum
AG
WestAustinAg
AG
Brennus said:

R1 felt more like star wars to because it is more centered around the time of the original series. That and my favorite character is Han, not one of the Jedi, so the Jedi being more behind the scenes in R1 make it better to me.

R1 felt more real than TFA to me. With more at stake. More of the characters showed the kind of desperateness, fear and anger that would be there with so much at stake.

It also felt a bit more like ANH to me in that the characters are actually moving through the same landscapes in R1 as ANH.

I never cared so much about the characters fate as I did in this latest one.
TheOriginalRedBaron
It occurs to me that I don't think I will be able to watch A New Hope the same way again. First, the Death Star's destructive use has been expanded well beyond just Alderaan.

But mostly ANH's happy ending with medals being delivered in the great hall while the Wookie screams and everyone laughs and applauds will now be tempered with the knowledge of the sacrifice and ultimate price paid by so many in Rogue One. There's a lot of people missing from that podium. The effectively 100% character mortality of Rogue One really just puts the events of A New Hope in a very different light.

On the other hand, it does add to the desperation the Rebellion was in during ANH.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.