Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,812 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aTmAg said:

1 said:

I've not seen anyone else post about it, but the first shot of the Star destroyer in front of the Death Star was so terribly laughable. It looked like a couple of kids were filming their toys. It was shocking.
I'm not sure how you'd expect that to look like. If Lucasfilm opted to instead build a full sized death star and star destroyer and place them in the same orientation to a similar sized sun, it would look identical to that. The graphics algorithms required to render that have been have been hashed out for several decades (unlike translucent human skin which is much more recent). If you think that looked fake, then it's probably your expectations that are wrong, not the rendering.

Well hell, two posters agree with me. How about that.
And it's possible to use models and not make it look like someone's homemade Star Wars video. See ALL THE OTHER STAR WARS MOVIES, INCLUDING 99% OF ROGUE ONE.
AliasMan02
AG
1 said:

And it's possible to use models and not make it look like someone's homemade Star Wars video. See ALL THE OTHER STAR WARS MOVIES, INCLUDING 99 OF ROGUE ONE.

They aren't models.
What are they?
The Collective
AG
I didn't notice it looked like crap. I'll check it out on video, probably not going back to see it on the big screen.

If it is the same shot as the trailer with the destroyer emerging from the shadows, I loved it. Reminded me of the OT.
aTmAg
AG
1 said:

aTmAg said:

1 said:

I've not seen anyone else post about it, but the first shot of the Star destroyer in front of the Death Star was so terribly laughable. It looked like a couple of kids were filming their toys. It was shocking.
I'm not sure how you'd expect that to look like. If Lucasfilm opted to instead build a full sized death star and star destroyer and place them in the same orientation to a similar sized sun, it would look identical to that. The graphics algorithms required to render that have been have been hashed out for several decades (unlike translucent human skin which is much more recent). If you think that looked fake, then it's probably your expectations that are wrong, not the rendering.

Well hell, two posters agree with me. How about that.
I would ask the same of them. Those were not physical models, but computer models. So unless you are trying to say that the models were not detailed enough (even thought they were generated part by part from the original physical models) rather than "it just didn't look right", then you really have a problem with the nature of lights and physics. Because that's exactly how those objects would look in real life.
The experts got it wrong. Not me. It looked horrible.
The SFX guys working on 2001:A Space Odyssey did a far superior job to the people that worked on the shot I'm talking about.
AliasMan02
AG
Oh, a troll. My bad. Everyone vote it down.
Okaaaaay....?
AggieDPT
AG
oragator said:

Well, just got a text alert that debbie reynolds was taken to the hospital.

And now she's passed. What an awful two days for that family
Ag Since 83
aTmAg
AG
1 said:

The SFX guys working on 2001:A Space Odyssey did a far superior job to the people that worked on the shot I'm talking about.
You are factually incorrect then. 2001 had ambient back light where there shouldn't have been any. In deep ass space, the back side of things are pitch black. Just like it was in Rogue One.
Mr. White

|
|

Lol
RiverDog
PatAg
AG
1 said:

The experts got it wrong. Not me. It looked horrible.
this is what is known as an opinion.
Philip J Fry
AG
1 said:

And it's possible to use models and not make it look like someone's homemade Star Wars video. See ALL THE OTHER STAR WARS MOVIES, INCLUDING 99% OF ROGUE ONE.

Holy ***** R1 looked EXACTLY like the OT which looked like scaled models. They made it look EXACTLY like the OT star destroyers on purpose.
TCTTS
AG
THIS.

Cannot believe people are actually b*tching about the look of the Star Destroyers, which were CLEARLY made to look like that on purpose.

Are you guys also mad that they gave some of the Rebels '70s hairstyles?
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

Are you guys also mad that they gave some of the Rebels '70s hairstyles?

Don't be stupid. The hair cuts are fine since the movie takes place a long time ago.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm looking for the feature about making the star destroyers from celebration, but can't find it. They went into detail about how they did the vfx for the destroyers using the original plastic kitbashed pieces, digitized. Also that the destroyers are a blend of work from the different scale models from ANH and ESB.
redline248
AG
The one coming out of the shadow next to the death star, which was in the trailer, is the only one that looks weird.
aTmAg
AG
redline248 said:

The one coming out of the shadow next to the death star, which was in the trailer, is the only one that looks weird.
Yosemite looked unbelievable the first time I saw it too.
Duncan Idaho
aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

He still looks unbelievable. That mustache alone is enough to make it clear he is just a cartoon. Never mind that whole flying off the ground by shooting your guns in the dirt.
redline248
AG
aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

A New Hope:

Rogue One:

The color is what looks off to me. It's not a huge deal, just weird/different.
Flashdiaz
AG
could be a lighting source... I don't have any problem with the Rogue One shot.
aTmAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

He still looks unbelievable. That mustache alone is enough to make it clear he is just a cartoon. Never mind that whole flying off the ground by shooting your guns in the dirt.
Aaayoooooo
AGC
AG
My dad felt the romance storyline was undeveloped. SMDH!
Flashdiaz
AG
AGC said:

My dad felt the romance storyline was undeveloped. SMDH!
have him watch attack of the clones if he wants romance in space done poorly.
fig96
AG
Flashdiaz said:

That's actually exactly what it is.

The first image has multiple light sources as you look up at the ship. The second is in a black environment with one bright overhead light source as you look straight on the cruiser.
Thunder18
AG
Duncan Idaho's posts on this page. Well done
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
fig96 said:

Flashdiaz said:

That's actually exactly what it is.

The first image has multiple light sources as you look up at the ship. The second is in a black environment with one bright overhead light source as you look straight on the cruiser.
Yep, that was my thought. It's the lighting.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the model of the Star Destroyer. Any one ever been to one of the museum exhibits of Star Wars stuff? You'd be surprised at how bad some of these models look in person and up-close (not all of them, mind you). The ones I'm thinking of, like Jabba's sail barge, were probably used in long shots rather than close-ups.

I studied the huge Millennium Falcon model for a long time in the Ft. Worth museum about a decade ago. I build scale military models for a hobby, so I sat there picking out various pieces that were familiar to me, given that the original models were "kit-bashed" from existing model kits available in the mid-70s. Near the engine on the top of the Falcon, there are two parts that I recognized as the nose landing gear strut from a F-105 Thunderchief, for instance. On screen there is no way one could even see that kind of detail. The big Star Destroyer models were built the same way.

The Collective
AG
The soundtrack is up on youtube. I listened to it yesterday during a long drive. There are many parts where it is very familiar with his other works. I didn't have the track listing in front of me, but the music that I believe is played during the hologram scene reminded me a lot of the music from the scene where Kirk's dad sacrifices himself. I'll have to pull both tonight and see if my memory just sucks or if they are alike.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

yep....clouds are different colors based on the light reflecting on them from the earth and sun/moon at different times and different angles.

no reason to think a destroyer in orbit around a different planet might be shaded differently based on that planet and its sun/etc.
redline248
AG
I'm not saying the explanations don't make sense. Just when I saw the trailer I thought it looked weird. Then the same thing was in the movie and I thought, "well I guess they didn't care." It was different enough that people noticed.

Not different enough to hate the movie over, which I don't.
redline248
AG
Sitting down for my 2nd viewing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.