Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,800 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was anyone else distracted by Vaders neck
AgMarauder04
AG
Gregg Papivich said:

I don't understand how some of y'all can say TFA was as good or better than this, that movie was trash

V>IV>Rogue One>VI>III>VII>II>I

Uninspired troll attempt.

Also, wrong thread.
AgMarauder04
AG
The Collective
AG
The Debt said:

No, but member when the internet was worried about Vader's woman shoulders after his first appearance in the trailer.
Philo B 93
CJS4715 said:

The Debt said:

No, but member when the internet was worried about Vader's woman shoulders after his first appearance in the trailer.

How is nobody concerned that someone walked in on old man Vader in the shower!?
Gregg Papivich
AgMarauder04 said:

Gregg Papivich said:

I don't understand how some of y'all can say TFA was as good or better than this, that movie was trash

V>IV>Rogue One>VI>III>VII>II>I

Uninspired troll attempt.

Also, wrong thread.

Rogue one was easily one of the best Star Wars movies right behind ESB and ANH
AgMarauder04
AG
Rogue One was excellent

VII is not 6 out of 8.
Philip J Fry
AG
Definitely 5/8 though. I just don't think it holds up to repeated viewing like the OT and R1 do.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think the reasons I'd drop TFA down to 5 are a) the obvious plot retread and b) how fast and loose they play with the physics: seeing Hosnian Prime destroyed in real time in another solar system, and penetrating a planetary shield at light speed and manually exiting hyperspace before you crash? That's just silly.
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I think the reasons I'd drop TFA down to 5 are a) the obvious plot retread and b) how fast and loose they play with the physics: seeing Hosnian Prime destroyed in real time in another solar system, and penetrating a planetary shield at light speed and manually exiting hyperspace before you crash? That's just silly.

Those are classic JJ hand-waves that annoy me.
Saxsoon
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Definitely 5/8 though. I just don't think it holds up to repeated viewing like the OT and R1 do.

Saw it 3 times last year and had no problems with repeat viewings
redline248
AG
I watched TFA 2 days ago and it was still great.
wesag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I agree.
VanZandt92
One important thing is the costuming and armor looks. Rogue One did well in that category. The Force Awakens armor wasn't that good.

Important not impotent
YouBet
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I love this so much.
AliasMan02
AG
wesag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I agree.

To expand on my point, I guess I don't hold those against the movie for whatever reason. Probably because I get the intent.

What makes sense is that they suddenly get reports that the Republic fleet/senate was destroyed. But it's more dramatic if they SEE it happen, so that's what JJ does, then waves his hands.

Especially in the context of the prequels which was mostly people sitting around and talking about things rather than taking action, I get that decision even if it's not what I would prefer.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

wesag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I agree.

To expand on my point, I guess I don't hold those against the movie for whatever reason. Probably because I get the intent.

What makes sense is that they suddenly get reports that the Republic fleet/senate was destroyed. But it's more dramatic if they SEE it happen, so that's what JJ does, then waves his hands.

Especially in the context of the prequels which was mostly people sitting around and talking about things rather than taking action, I get that decision even if it's not what I would prefer.

Must be a miserable life to lead if things like that ruin a Star Wars movie for them.
AliasMan02
AG
Doesn't for me by any measure.
snowdog90
For me, there are 3 awesome SW movies now.

ESB
ANH
R1

There is 1 above average SW movie, TFA.

The prequels are just a mess, although ROTS is watchable.

For those that like or even love ROTJ, I couldn't disagree more. That movie was one of the biggest letdowns ever. ****ing Ewoks. Lucas' destruction of Star Wars began with ROTJ. R1 has given me hope for the franchise going forward.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just saw this a second time and think less of it than I did before. If you took the exact same movie and removed the tie fighters, x-wings, etc and replaced it original content so it wasn't a Star Wars movie, it would be horrible. It ends on a high note with the final battle and dearth Vader in the hallway, but the rest of the movie suffers from undeveloped characters and a narrative that has very little rhyme or reason. It's only good because nostalgia for the Star Wars universe and a neat space battle at the end.
AgMarauder04
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Just saw this a second time and think less of it than I did before. If you took the exact same movie and removed the tie fighters, x-wings, etc and replaced it original content so it wasn't a Star Wars movie, it would be horrible. It ends on a high note with the final battle and dearth Vader in the hallway, but the rest of the movie suffers from undeveloped characters and a narrative that has very little rhyme or reason. It's only good because nostalgia for the Star Wars universe and a neat space battle at the end.

Cool story, bro.

If you took out the tanks and aircraft and rifles from Saving Private Ryan, it would just be a movie about fighting and rescuing some guy for no reason.
AgMarauder04
AG
http://www.thewrap.com/rogue-one/

$140M this weekend.

Headed to $330M total
Bruce Almighty
AG
You mean if you take the best parts out of a movie, it sucks?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
No. If you took the saving private Ryan story and put it in WW1 or the Star Wars universe, it would still be a solid movie. If you put rogue 1 in ww2, it would be lame.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Saving Private Ryan in space sounds awful.
redline248
AG
I actually think R1 is just a generic war movie in which the desperate heroes must overcome incredible odds to complete a dangerous mission. That's why it's so successful. Then you put it in one of the most popular settings ever envisioned, make it about one of the most crucial moments in the rebellion, and add Darth Vader...and you get awesome.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you took Saving Private Ryan, took away all the guns and added dildos, you'd have Shaving Ryan's Privates.
wanewman

AgMarauder04
AG
$400M globally.
AliasMan02
AG
On extra viewings, some more fun things I noted:

- Galen's farm in the volcanic soils is very well done. It's a little thing, but shows a lot of care to details in the way it works even though we never really see much of it. That's a sign of good world building.

- I loved seeing the Juggernaut as it carried prisoners to the labor camp. It's an inclusion for the true hardcore SW nerds for sure, but I've never failed to smile when it pops up on screen (even if that scene being separate from the previous in the prison is sort of extraneous).

- Vader's castle is modeled after the temple on Jedha, and presumably other temples. I didn't pick that up at first but thought it was cool.

- The wrecked X-Wings sliding across the planetary shield was a great visual.
VanZandt92
redline248 said:

I watched TFA 2 days ago and it was still great.

Retread but we all need a Star Wars fix.
VanZandt92
Maz Kanata sucks
oragator
Well, it's now done 126mm domestic since Friday (including today), coming up on 325mm domestic and 600mm ww.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=starwars2016.htm
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
The Debt said:

This!
Sex Panther
AG
What was distracting about Vader's neck?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.