Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

216,649 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a pretty solid prediction. I would've thought that was high just a month ago.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's a pretty solid prediction. I would've thought that was high just a month ago.

Thanks.

It was here by the way...just so you don't think I'm just FOS about predicting it:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2440759/replies/47892744
AgMarauder04
AG
I was expecting 850-900M, still a remarkable achievement.
oragator
I didn't make any pre-release guess, but I think I posted here that after the first weekend, if you put it on a similar track as TFA, it looked like 1.1-1.2 billion or so. So far that still looks possible.
This will sound petty because it is, but for the last week or so, all I have cared about is that it passes BvS. It has done so domestically but not yet internationally.. I couldn't go on living in a world where a Star Wars movie got out drawn by that steaming pile of crap, but it should happen this weekend.
oragator
Only pulled 10 million opening day in china, projected to do 60-80 million there.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/01/06/china-box-office-rogue-one-nabs-okay-10-3m-opening-day/#30f8b1fc1d3c
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
oragator said:

Only pulled 10 million opening day in china, projected to do 60-80 million there.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/01/06/china-box-office-rogue-one-nabs-okay-10-3m-opening-day/#30f8b1fc1d3c

10.3 million was the opening DAY tally....60-80 was the opening WEEKEND projection not opened DAY.

And who knows whose opening weekend projection that was anyway....seems like a pretty bad number since SW:TFA only opened with $52 million in China ts first weekend and only grossed 124 million TOTAL. I would not have expected Rogue One to surpass that, thats not logical. China isn't a huge SW market anyway they never had the Original Trilogy and the prequels pretty much tanked there in limited release. 30-40 was much more realistic. And I'm not sure it should be expected to even hit $100 million total there - so 60-80 opening weekend is just crazy talk.

oragator
Zombie Jon Snow said:

oragator said:

10.3 million was the opening DAY tally....60-80 was the opening WEEKEND projection not opened DAY.

And who knows whose opening weekend projection that was anyway....seems like a pretty bad number since SW:TFA only opened with $52 million in China ts first weekend and only grossed 124 million TOTAL. I would not have expected Rogue One to surpass that, thats not logical. China isn't a huge SW market anyway they never had the Original Trilogy and the prequels pretty much tanked there in limited release. 30-40 was much more realistic. And I'm not sure it should be expected to even hit $100 million total there - so 60-80 opening weekend is just crazy talk.

The article said 10 million opening day, projected 30 million weekend and 60-80 total. I quoted the first and third numbers.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
oragator said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

oragator said:

The article said 10 million opening day, projected 30 million weekend and 60-80 total. I quoted the first and third numbers.

Ahhh your wording threw me off. You said 10 million opening day and projected 60-80 without a qualifier of "total". And I quickly scanned the article and thought the 60-80 was weekend not total. My bad there.

It's not huge for China but not unexpected.
titan
S

On this subject though, it may have caught the marketers a little off guard. I don't see as much pictorials or extra items like you saw for Force Awakens in the bookstore. At least not yet. Surely they are in production, but that goes to the caught off guard--with FA they were right there at the opening.
BMX Bandit
They are all over the toys section
KidDoc
AG
titan said:

On this subject though, it may have caught the marketers a little off guard. I don't see as much pictorials or extra items like you saw for Force Awakens in the bookstore. At least not yet. Surely they are in production, but that goes to the caught off guard--with FA they were right there at the opening.
They've done a great job with the female protagonist. I see tons of little girls coming in with Star Wars clothing these days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
titan
S

I see, but I was referring to "making of" and the "special effects behind scenes" kind of books. I have no doubt they will appear. It was just surprising to not see them already on Barnes & Noble displays like Force Awakens.

It would be neat if this movie produces an ANH or Devastator-class Star Destroyer (for those were the original ANH types in Rogue -- the middle array was higher than the domes, and some other accurate touches) and a Tantive IV model.

Texaggie7nine
My only complaint. Not near enough Donnie Yen fighting.
7nine
titan
S

I keep seeing mentions of alot of reshot footage. Yet even the scenes that were in the trailers but didn't appear in the movie are recognizably from parts of it -- you can figure out what took their place or where would have been placed. Were these "heavy reshootings" before the earliest trailers? In other words, unglimpsed scenarios? Any know.
Ag Since 83
AG
Based on the comments of the editors it seems like the main additions were the character intros at the very beginning: Cassian meeting and killing his contact, Jyn being in an Imperial prsson, Bodhi's first scene with Saw's people, etc.

They also said significant changes happened in the final act but didn't give a lot of detail as to what exactly

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/rogue-ones-editors-talk-editing-process-scenes-changed-during-films-reshoots/
MandoArms
I e been listening to the Rogue One novel on Audible and I am really enjoying it. Not much deviation from the movie but lots of extra details. I do wish they would have shown more of the external conflict in the Rebel Aliance, as well as how Bohdi got involved with Galen in the movie. Here is an article that goes over the 8 main things the novel adds:
http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/rogue-one-novelization/?llid=8RqVr&ls=dd&type=cpc&campaign=8RqVr
MandoArms
Also wanted to add that I haven't seen any clues on how the rewrites effected the novel. So far it has been right on point with the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Passed $900M.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Got a pretty decent shot at topping Civil War, but it has to keep going strong overseas. Starting to slow down domestically a bit more than I thought it would. May top out right around TDK's gross of $530M.

Side note: I know it's been mentioned, but Jesus, Disney. They own the top 5 worldwide grosses of 2016. Not sure if that's ever happened before for a single studio.
TheOriginalRedBaron
Quote:

Starting to slow down domestically a bit more than I thought it would.
My wife and I discussed and predicted this as soon as we saw it. Because of the ending fewer people are going to go see the movie again and again. Such is the fate of cinematic tragedies.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Possible. But with those last 2 minutes, I think it evens out.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Got a pretty decent shot at topping Civil War, but it has to keep going strong overseas. Starting to slow down domestically a bit more than I thought it would. May top out right around TDK's gross of $530M.

Side note: I know it's been mentioned, but Jesus, Disney. They own the top 5 worldwide grosses of 2016. Not sure if that's ever happened before for a single studio.
What is that, $5B just those movies alone?

Jesu Cristo.
Legal Custodian
AG
And just off the top of my head, they'll for sure own 2 of the top 5 for 2017 with Beauty and the Beast and Episode VIII coming out this year.
AliasMan02
AG
Legal Custodian said:

And just off the top of my head, they'll for sure own 2 of the top 5 for 2017 with Beauty and the Beast and Episode VIII coming out this year.

And Cars 3. If that still counts as Disney.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quote:

Today, The Walt Disney Studios will become the first studio ever to reach the $7 billion threshold at the global box office, setting a new industry record. With a powerful $290 million global debut for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Disney's year-to-date grosses are $6,988.3 million from Jan. 1 through Dec. 18, 2016, including $2,700.4 million domestically, also an industry record, and $4,287.9 million internationally, a Disney record.

Doctor Strange and Moana helped as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. And Guardians 2.

Matter of fact, I'm going to say that between Ep VIII, BATB, and GOTG 2, they'll gross nearly $5B.

From THREE movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And I just remembered Pirates 5. My God. They are going to print money.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Don't forget within the next couple of years they are also opening some major theme area park tie ins.

Star Wars land in magic kingdom CA and FL
Pandora for the Avatar trilogy of sequels in animal kingdom
Toy story themed area in Hollywood studios and other parks worldwide with another movie coming

They ain't dumb.....
fig96
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Don't forget within the next couple of years they are also opening some major theme area park tie ins.

Star Wars land in magic kingdom CA and FL
Pandora for the Avatar trilogy of sequels in animal kingdom
Toy story themed area in Hollywood studios and other parks worldwide with another movie coming

They ain't dumb.....
Pandora is actually very soon, late spring/early summer. We're going to DW in April and will probably just miss it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://vimeo.com/196155136
Ulrich
I rewatched the OT after watching R1. Still have only seen R1 once, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that, imo, ESB is head and shoulders better and ANH/ROTJ are better. I think VII vs R1 is going to turn out to be a classic case of knowing that R1 is objectively better crafted in many ways but still liking VII more. Yeah, VII is a ripoff plot, meanders a bit for fan service, and goes kind of bonkers at times, but what a fantastic and fun cast of characters.
Red Five
AG
I don't know that I agree with you on the whole, but I do agree that I think the R1 vs TFA argument is interesting. I rewatched TFA last night and damn if that movie isn't watchable as hell. I was loving every minute of it.
fig96
AG
Red Five said:

I don't know that I agree with you on the whole, but I do agree that I think the R1 vs TFA argument is interesting. I rewatched TFA last night and damn if that movie isn't watchable as hell. I was loving every minute of it.
I think part of that is that TFA delivered on all the stuff we so desperately wanted in the prequels. JJ gave us exactly what we wanted, possibly more importantly with the right tone.

And for the record, I have TFA on digital and often pop it on when I'm doing stuff around the house. Super rewatchable.
The Collective
AG
I liked TFA, then I was kind of annoyed by it, and now I enjoy it. That's been my progression. I think once you've seen it more than a few times, you start accepting the b.s. and move on. The characters are great - especially Kylo. My 3 yo daughter yells "Traitor" to her brother quite a bit, and it always brings a smile to my face.
israeliag
AG
I actually thought R1 was exactly what we needed out of the prequels, much more so than EpVII. The prequels had every opportunity to be a terrific tragedy, and R1 was such a great and enjoyable tragedy (and where the tragedy only helped the story).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.