Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,786 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
By the way, Not about the movie itself, but I had to sit through seven freaking trailers which was annoying enough trailers, but six of them were sequels or reboots.
Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Then finally the orIginal baby Alec Baldwin movie.

Hollywood has truly run out of original ideas.
Madmarttigan
AG
CJS4715 said:

Philip J Fry said:

Desplat's score must have been terrible.

Or it was written for a film that was very different, and he either didn't have the time to re-write or wasn't willing to do it with the time constraint. Then again, it could have just sucked like you said.

I find it hard to believe since he did a great job with Harry Potter.
fig96
AG
oragator said:

By the way, Not about the movie itself, but I had to sit through seven freaking trailers which was annoying enough trailers, but six of them were sequels or reboots.
Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Yet another reason to go to Alamo. Had Guardians, Kong, start the movie.
M.C. Swag
AG
Dunkirk looked pretty rad
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Guardians of the galaxy
Dunkirk
Kong
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean
Logan
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Okay, just had to drop this here:

Am listening to Kevin Smith's review, and in describing the Death Troopers, he called them "elite Storm Troopers dressed in all black.....who aim."

I thought that was pretty funny.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Okay, just had to drop this here:

Am listening to Kevin Smith's review, and in describing the Death Troopers, he called them "elite Storm Troopers dressed in all black.....who aim."

I thought that was pretty funny.

and who apparently all got wiped out when they destroyed their own base to (???) stop the transmission (???) or simply kill Tarkin's nemesis Krennic for control of the death star (????) or both.

but that explains why only storm troopers with poor aim remain for the original trilogy.

oragator
fig96 said:

oragator said:

Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Yet another reason to go to Alamo. Had Guardians, Kong, start the movie.

The trade off was a theater with leather recliners, so I survived.
AlaskanAg99
AG
oragator said:

Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

*****es about unoriginal movies while waiting for 8th movie in a series to start which is also the 4th prequel and 4th sequel.
Duncan Idaho
Get out of here with your fancy schoolin' and so called real world experience. Leave the criticing to the armatures like me.

AgGrad99
AG
Go watch the opening crawl if Episode 4, now that you've seen Rogue One.

Carlo4
AG
Tarkin CGI got the girlfriend test in 2D...

My girlfriend has never seen a Star Wars movie and she surprised me with tickets.

When Tarkin showed up, the audience lost their mind, even the kid next to me.

She asked why, and I told her he died a long time ago and was CGI. Had no idea he would show...

She thought that was a real... therefore my vote is real.

Also, she liked it for what it was.... I heart her!
agracer
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

agracer said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

redline248 said:

I know it's been talked about, but I failed to do so in my first post, and wanted to restate:

Vader's destroyer entering the fight was so f-cking cool. I bet that rebel ship's captain sh-t his pants before smashing itself to pieces.
One thing I really liked in Rogue One was how the ships didn't just explode into a bazillion pieces, but rather they broke apart. Watching the two Star Destroyers collide and eventually hit the gate was really something else. Same thing when Vader's ship arrived and that light cruiser didn't just explode, it pretty much crumpled like a beer can.
Except how does one ship made of the exact same materials as the second ship it is running into, slice the second ship basically in two?

you can use a diamond to cut a diamond.

it's all about the force and angle of impact. it hit it right in the "neck" area for lack of a better term. kinda like it went into it there with it's edge.

also - ever seen a car wreck??? - cars are made of the same material. but the one doing the hitting might not have as much damage as the hittee....my daughters car was literally totalled by another car that had very little damage to it's bumper.
cars are made of the same materials...but not all cars weight the same, have the same construction, same mass, etc......It's a nit picky gripe I know, but the one SD should have pushed/crushed into the 2nd, not split in in two.

Was your daughters car the exact same year, model and they both hit at the bumper at the exact same angle?

EDIT: I can see how I confused everyone..I mean when the two SD hit each other...not when they hit the smaller ships.
agracer
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

wangus12 said:

agracer said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

redline248 said:

I know it's been talked about, but I failed to do so in my first post, and wanted to restate:

Vader's destroyer entering the fight was so f-cking cool. I bet that rebel ship's captain sh-t his pants before smashing itself to pieces.
One thing I really liked in Rogue One was how the ships didn't just explode into a bazillion pieces, but rather they broke apart. Watching the two Star Destroyers collide and eventually hit the gate was really something else. Same thing when Vader's ship arrived and that light cruiser didn't just explode, it pretty much crumpled like a beer can.
Except how does one ship made of the exact same materials as the second ship it is running into, slice the second ship basically in two?
Vader's destroyer was coming out of lightspeed too so he is just gonna plow through smaller ships like a full speed semi vs a speeding up compact car
Exactly. Start Destroyers have crumple zones! Duh!

Actually, let's assume the same properties as steel just beefed up for space combat, etc. I think the angle and position that one ship his the other would matter as well. The way I saw it, the disabled SD's main edge (where the bulk of it's inertia and momentum would focus) struck the active SD between the lower hull and upper hull (leading up to the bridge) essentially point loading it at a weak point and shearing through it, partially... I'd have to rewatch it again though.

It's possible, but I agree it would have helped believably if the disabled SD had struck the active SD in the "neck" between the upper hull and the bridge. Again, this was not a problem for me.
I was referring to the two SD hitting each other, not running into smaller ships.
baumenhammer
AG
did anyone else think that when they needes to get through Scarif's shield/gate they were going to send password 1234
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
agracer said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

agracer said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

redline248 said:

it's all about the force and angle of impact. it hit it right in the "neck" area for lack of a better term. kinda like it went into it there with it's edge.

also - ever seen a car wreck??? - cars are made of the same material. but the one doing the hitting might not have as much damage as the hittee....my daughters car was literally totalled by another car that had very little damage to it's bumper.
cars are made of the same materials...but not all cars weight the same, have the same construction, same mass, etc......It's a nit picky gripe I know, but the one SD should have pushed/crushed into the 2nd, not split in in two.

Was your daughters car the exact same year, model and they both hit at the bumper at the exact same angle?

no but again....the sharp edge of the one SD hit the "neck" of the other SD at a weak point.

and like a diamond used to cut a diamond - you hit it at exactly the right place and ZERO damage to one while it cuts the other precisely at a weak point.

Duncan Idaho
The half in the bag guys did not care for it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Even though I disagree with them I can't help but laugh at their commentary.
redd38
AG
If one were to watch the whole series in machete order (IV, V, II, III, VI, VII), where should R1 fit in? First? After IV?
Duncan Idaho
Ag Since 83 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Even though I disagree with them I can't help but laugh at their commentary.

They are funny.
AgGrad99
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
redd38 said:

If one were to watch the whole series in machete order (IV, V, II, III, VI, VII), where should R1 fit in? First? After IV?
I would assume it's first? That's just my own guess. I think it makes the most sense when you consider the purpose of machete order is to present Darth Vader's story arc in the most logical order. I feel like R1 is a great intro into the character.
AliasMan02
AG
redd38 said:

Great question. I feel like IV needs to be first in the viewing order, so I guess following III.
Dro07
AG
That would be a weird jump between 3 and Rogue One

I would start with RO then go with the Machete order... but thats just me
Satellite of Love
agracer said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

agracer said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

redline248 said:

EDIT: I can see how I confused everyone..I mean when the two SD hit each other...not when they hit the smaller ships.

But you are assuming that a SD is one solid piece to to bottom. The deck design could be layered on ala a 3 layered cake. You can push off the top layer without issues.
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

That would be a weird jump between 3 and Rogue One

I would start with RO then go with the Machete order... but thats just me

III to RO seems as natural as III to IV would be.
TriumphForks
AG
Saw it, loved it. Went in with incredibly low expectations and was blown away on all fronts. The ending left me in awe - I was not expecting there to be a direct tie in from this movie to Episode IV.

However, after a couple days to really try and digest the movie, and I believe was mentioned briefly earlier on this thread - the RO ending really erases any plausible deniability that Leia may have had that she was on any mission other than the one to steal the plans for the Death Star. In actuality, unless any sort of time did elapse between the RO ending and beginning of IV, they were caught red handed which in turn makes some of the dialogue in the beginning of IV silly. Ultimately a very minor complaint but I could see how that'd be a bigger deal for some folks.
redd38
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redd38 said:

Great question. I feel like IV needs to be first in the viewing order, so I guess following III.
I think I agree that IV should be first even though R1 to IV flows so naturally. Maybe watch 90% of IV, then when they mention that many lives were lost to get the death star plans you pause the movie, then watch all of R1, then watch the last part of IV
nickstro66
AG
Saw the movie last night

That Vader scene at the end was amazing!!
Satellite of Love
So the next side story that has to be made is about the Bothan spies who lost their lives getting the second DS plans! Call it Rouge 2: The Search For More Money.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Or...she's just lying to Vader. They made the jump to hyperspace, correct? We don't know exactly how Vader's ship catches up. It still works for me, it's not like Leia's ship had license plates or anything.
Dro07
AG
I understand what yo are saying but then you would have RO followed by ESB if you follow the intended order?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right, they jumped to hyperspace, so there is at least a question of both how and how long it took Vader to find it.
M.C. Swag
AG
I guess the order depends on whether you're a purist. But if you're mixing and matching the order to begin with, R1 going first shouldn't be a big deal and I think narratively makes more sense than going between Ep. 3 and Ep. 6. (of Machete order)

So in my mind, the new machete order should be:

• R1
  • Ep. 4
  • Ep. 5
  • Ep. 2
  • Ep. 3
  • Ep. 6
  • Ep. 7
AlaskanAg99
AG
And an A-Wing (right?) Brings down the super star destroyer. Apparently Emperial engineers haven't considered blunt attacks and focus on energy weapon defense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.