Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,788 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

For a character that was supposed to hundreds of years old, I was always amazed at how much he aged in 19 years
One of the LEGO Droid Tales episodes sums it up best: When describing the Clone Wars, 3PO says something along the lines of, "Master Yoda was 900 years old when he died, but at the time of the Clone Wars, he was only 876."

I always thought that was a good dig on the prequel version of Yoda.
The Collective
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

For a character that was supposed to hundreds of years old, I was always amazed at how much he aged in 19 years

When 900 years old you reach, flip this good you will not.
Flashdiaz
AG
Those droid tales are great. In another Scene, 3po is going over the phantom menace opening crawl about trade federations and embargos and everyone is falling asleep.
TexAgBolter
AG

In reply to:

dave94
AG
Chris Weitz (co-screenwriter) was just on the Ticket and said the shot with the TIE fighter confronting Jyn was created just for the trailer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I always took the Yoda thing as....

he IS old and creaky and can barely move on his own (i.e. by muscle movement)...but when fighting he was using the force and powering his body and movements through the force. But he wasn't using the force to get around generally. That would be like over-doing it to summon all of that energy, mind power, etc. just to transport himself.

Plus it looks more badass to barely be able to walk then open up a can of whoopass....

kinda like this

KidDoc
AG
Loved the movie. Loved that they killed everyone.

I thought the crystal necklace would mean something but nope. Just weird how often they emphasized it for no apparent reason.

The tentacle mind reading thing seemed dumb and had virtually no bearing on the story. Could easily have been cut. Saw in general was a lame character and distracting.

Great flick though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
dave94 said:

Chris Weitz (co-screenwriter) was just on the Ticket and said the shot with the TIE fighter confronting Jyn was created just for the trailer.
I've always wondered why more filmmakers don't do this. I have no problem with scenes from the trailer not being in the movie, so long as they don't purposely deceive.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
KidDoc said:

The tentacle mind reading thing seemed dumb and had virtually no bearing on the story. Could easily have been cut.
This was exactly the same as the tentacle creature from Force Awakens. No point to it.
tamuangry
Just got back from my 8:00 showing...

Loved this movie. Loved the fact that they let everybody die. The tie in to episode 4 was superb...

...but it does bother me that the ship with Princess Leia was in a battle when they received transmission. Leia's pretended innocence when she confronts Darth Vader in episode IV seems pretty silly when Darth Vader watched her ship sail away with the plans. Definitely not on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tamuangry said:

Loved this movie. Loved the fact that they let everybody die. The tie in to episode 4 was superb...

...but it does bother me that the ship with Princess Leia was in a battle when they received transmission. Leia's pretended innocence when she confronts Darth Vader in episode IV seems pretty silly when Darth Vader watched her ship sail away with the plans. Definitely not on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

well...we don't know how much later they caught up....do we?

i mean it's plausible that they got enough time and distance to use that as a cover - maybe????

fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

dave94 said:

I've always wondered why more filmmakers don't do this. I have no problem with scenes from the trailer not being in the movie, so long as they don't purposely deceive.
Budget, not to mention that most directors don't have much control over their trailers.
TheOriginalRedBaron
tamuangry said:

DV treated it as a complete line of BS immediately.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Philo B 93 said:

The more I think about the movie, the less impressed I am with it as a Star Wars movie.

It was a good war movie that takes place in space, I assume a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Yes, Darth Vader had a mostly non-necessary part. C3PO and R2D2 had a total cameo. There were X-wing fighters and the Death Star. But for 7 movies, thousands of toys, a few animated series, hundreds of books, and one Christmas Special, Star Wars is about this:
1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,
3. Jedi Knights / the Force / Light Sabers

For all intents and purposes (intensive purposes for a few of you), Rogue One had none of those. The script would have been better used on a Star Trek or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I felt bad for all the kids in the audience. The first 90 minutes is a planet hopping set up with unfamiliar faces, spies, refugees, military plans, space politics, and a bunch of other stuff that 10 year olds don't care about.

I thought TFA was a much better movie, but hey... I'm a Star Wars purist.
This is exactly the point of the movie... Star Wars is bigger than the Skywalkers and Solos
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

The more I think about the movie, the less impressed I am with it as a Star Wars movie.

It was a good war movie that takes place in space, I assume a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Yes, Darth Vader had a mostly non-necessary part. C3PO and R2D2 had a total cameo. There were X-wing fighters and the Death Star. But for 7 movies, thousands of toys, a few animated series, hundreds of books, and one Christmas Special, Star Wars is about this:
1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

For all intents and purposes (intensive purposes for a few of you), Rogue One had none of those. The script would have been better used on a Star Trek or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I felt bad for all the kids in the audience. The first 90 minutes is a planet hopping set up with unfamiliar faces, spies, refugees, military plans, space politics, and a bunch of other stuff that 10 year olds don't care about.

This is exactly the point of the movie... Star Wars is bigger than the Skywalkers and Solos

Not to mention it's sort of the DEFINITION of an Anthology piece vs. a Saga entry.

Anthology- a book/movie or other collection usually in the same literary form, of the same period, or on the same subject area

Saga- a form of the novel in which the members or generations of a family or social group are chronicled in a long and leisurely narrative

Ep 1-7 and soon 8/9 are Star Wars Saga - Skywalkers and Solo's I guess (really it's Skywalkers until 7), certainly Jedi oriented

Anthology movies are tangential - OTHER stories may or may not be Jedi related certainly not Skywalker centric. Although one planned one is Solo specific.

Philo B 93
SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. In the long run, with more of these movies the original Star Wars will lose its special place in history as the brand gets diluted. I don't have a problem with that, but it should be noted.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Philo B 93 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. In the long run, with more of these movies the original Star Wars will lose its special place in history as the brand gets diluted. I don't have a problem with that, but it should be noted.

Or....with more of these movies we can FORGET that Ep. 1-3 ever existed and replace them with decent (really good) ones instead.

Until recently Ep. 1-3 represented HALF of the known SW universe (on film) which is what most people get.

Now, thank god, we have TFA and RO and soon Ep. 8 so that those represent a middle third or higher and push Ep. 1-3 to the forgotten wasteland of the bottom third.

I don't really understand how it would make SW and ESB less special anyway or dilute the brand - it brings more fans to it and grows the brand and grows the legacy. But whatever.

YouBet
AG
tamuangry said:

This doesn't bother me like others. Stuff like this happens all the time in war and politics where both parties knew what happened and what's really going on but you play the political theater game and deny the obvious.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They've been very clear. There is the Star Wars Saga, the epic of the Skywalker family.
And there are now Star Wars Stories. I love this.

And don't look for deep meanin in everything. The necklace only had importance to her. That's it, it helps build her character.

Same with tentical aliens, it adds depth to the universe. It doesn't have to fit in with the main story line. And in TFA it's why Han abandons his other ship in the Falcon.

In R1, it helps build why the defector is a bit nutty. If you accept ewoks then the rest isn't a stretch.
AliasMan02
AG
tamuangry said:

Fleeing the battle, the Tantive IV makes a mad dash to Tatooine to try and get to Kenobi, just hoping that Vader doesn't pursue them. He does, however, and captures the ship. This leads Leia to the desperate act of sending R2 to try and deliver the message and plans.

It all happens within the span of time of the hyperspace jump from Scarif to Tatooine, more or less.
80s Guy
Saw it with the kids yesterday and had several proud dad moments when the kids caught the nods to the originals.

When they bumped into the two characters from the Mos Eisley cantina, my daughter elbowed me and had that OMG look.

When Red 5 when down, the boy whispered "Wasn't that Luke's call sign?"

Will be going to see it again soon.
SF2004
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Philo B 93 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

Or....with more of these movies we can FORGET that Ep. 1-3 ever existed and replace them with decent (really good) ones instead.

Until recently Ep. 1-3 represented HALF of the known SW universe (on film) which is what most people get.

Now, thank god, we have TFA and RO and soon Ep. 8 so that those represent a middle third or higher and push Ep. 1-3 to the forgotten wasteland of the bottom third.

I don't really understand how it would make SW and ESB less special anyway or dilute the brand - it brings more fans to it and grows the brand and grows the legacy. But whatever.

Holy crap we get it... you hate the prequels. You wish they never existed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
These movies, if well done (which they are 2 for 2 so far IMO) will only strengthen and sustain the brand. I've got two girls at home that were brought into the SW fold by TFA. Even though they'd seen some of the originals, there is nothing that can replicate and sell SW like experiencing this saga on the big screen.
tamuangry
We all hate the prequels. They are an abomination. With each new successful Star Wars movie the prequels become more absurd.
YellowPot_97
AG
I like the prequels, especially ep1
Saw TPM 18 or 19 times in the theater.
Farmer1906
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

And this was you after it.

aTmAg
AG
Philo B 93 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

Nothing harmed the brand more than the prequel Saga entries. Rogue One strengthened the brand more than any of then and TFA.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

There is always at least one....doesn't make you right btw.

I happen to like "Waterworld" but recognize that it is universally loathed. I don't go around arguing its merits, it is my guilty pleasure.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Instead of losing their place in history, SW will just become history without new movies to draw in new interest. Like Polaroid.
mazag08
AG
The success of this movie with completely fresh characters gives me hope that we can eventually get an Old Republic movie.
Duncan Idaho
YellowPot_97 said:

hooe 97 is your birth year
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
tamuangry said:

We all hate the prequels. They are an abomination. With each new successful Star Wars movie the prequels become more absurd.
Bullcrap. We don't all hate the prequels.

With each new successful Star Wars movie the prequels will remain a part of the series, whether you like it or not, whether you wish to even acknowledge their existence.
wesag
AG
tamuangry said:

Wrong
fig96
AG
Philo B 93 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

1. The Skywalkers,
2. Han Solo,

A New Hope will always be a landmark film for a number of reasons. And what you may see as dilution is seen by many as an expanding and more comprehensive universe.
Gregg Papivich
I don't understand how some of y'all can say TFA was as good or better than this, that movie was trash

V>IV>Rogue One>VI>III>VII>II>I

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.