Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,665 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

I think the prequels suck too and are mostly pointless, but my reaction is different than people at least 10+ years younger than me who grew up with it. I have a 16 year old nephew who probably started consuming all things Star Wars by age 5. He loves them all. My 5 year old loves them all. I asked my kid which was his favorite Star Wars? "I like them all, dad."

Odd....my son is 21....he was 4 when Ep. 1 came out and 7 and 10 for the sequels.

He really kinda hates the prequels...He much prefers the original trilogy. He loves TFA and RO though.

The Collective
AG
I have heard it enough from younger people to believe the divide on like/dislike prequels is real. I guess youth nostalgia works in movies, huh? I can't really count my own kid as a legitimate opinion yet, he's 5. He'd probably tell you that the Clone Wars tv show is the best if pushed. To his credit, he does ask to watch ESB the most... he loves the walkers.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I watched some of the prequels when TNT did the 6 movie marathon a few weeks ago. One thing I really noticed was how bad some of the scenes that I previously thought were awesome were. I almost jizzed in my pants when Yoda fought for the first time. Now, it just looks cartoony and awful. When Yoda fights Dooku, its laughably bad. I still think Darth Maul is cool but I think Lucas made a huge mistake killing him off so quickly.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've been showing Star Wars clips off of youtube to my almost 3 year old son. His two favorite scenes are the Cantina scene and when Luke destroys the Death Star. Anytime I show him scenes from the prequels, he wants me to change it. I hope he stays that way.
wangus12
AG
I'm not a huge fan of the prequels as most aren't, but Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan was awesome and I really don't have an issue popping them in to watch. The Darth Maul fight is still one of the top lightsaber duels out there, if not the best.
fig96
AG
benMath08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Prequels no longer serve a purpose.
Not only that, but I think they actively make the story worse by ruining a lot of mystique surrounding the Jedi and events of the original trilogy.
I think this nicely sums up my thoughts. They explained things I needed no explanation for that didn't do anything to move the overall story forward.
Satellite of Love
Wow this discussion has devolved into a I - III hate fest.

Can anyone name the 2 new TIE fighters that appeared in R1? What about that rebellion ship that had wings come forward like a pair of scissors during the final attack scene?
hurleyag
AG
Went last night. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but my takes from the movie.

I think they had a few to many easter eggs, but it didn't take to much away from the movie. I didn't like that Leia was at the final battle. Earlier in the movie Bail Organa mentions that he is sending her to find Obi won, so I think they should have had the plans transmitted to her ship instead of physically taken aboard.

I also thought they added one to many lines to a few of the jokes to basically tell the us that it was the joke. Two specific examples were when they put the hood over Yen's character and he says "Really? I'm blind." it should have stopped at just "Really? and when they talk about dying in the cold vacuum of space and K2 says "I won't...because I can survive in space." should have stopped and "I wont." Very nitpicky, but just an opinion.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would put it right up there with ROTJ in terms of rankings in the series.
M.C. Swag
AG
No one is going to defend the prequels in terms of quality. They are objectively bad films in almost every way; but I liked their intent. I know Lucas didn't intend to tell the Star Wars story with ANH as being Ep. 4 of a 6 part saga, but as a viewer, I really really enjoyed that idea. I was floored to find out how Vader became his evil self and what young Obi Wan in his prime could do. The idea of seeing MULTIPLE Jedi on screen, fighting together, should have been amazing.

Lucas completely failed to execute on those opportunities and I feel like it has biased alot of people against the IDEA of the prequels. Which is a shame. What Lucas tried to do, was appreciated by me.
Dro07
AG
just look watch the phantom edit instead of the prequels
Farmer1906
AG
Tie striker is one, I believe.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Wow this discussion has devolved into a I - III hate fest.

Can anyone name the 2 new TIE fighters that appeared in R1? What about that rebellion ship that had wings come forward like a pair of scissors during the final attack scene?

well....they used to represent half of the SW film universe. Therefore they were bound to be in the middle somewhere or at least parts of them (like Ep 3) and had some redeeming qualities simply by comparison within that set.

Now they pretty much represent the bottom 3/8 or the bottom 37.5 % of the SW film universe. Some might disagree with Ep. 3 at most but universally thats probably the overall ranking of them.

And thats likely soon to be the bottom 3/9 (or 1/3) when Ep. VIII comes out.

As the universe expands and they are pushed further toward the bottom by comparison it will continue.

I know there was the new Tie-striker and then the Rebels had the U-wing.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2016/12/rogue-one-the-ships-of-the-new-star-wars-movie-story-plot-tech-empire-rebellion-what-is-u-wing-at-act/

Philo B 93
I still say Rogue One is a glorified footnote to the Saga, but I'll give it this much:

You wanna see a scene where someone walks in on Darth Vader in the shower, then this is your movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
hurleyag said:

Went last night. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but my takes from the movie.

I think they had a few to many easter eggs, but it didn't take to much away from the movie. I didn't like that Leia was at the final battle. Earlier in the movie Bail Organa mentions that he is sending her to find Obi won, so I think they should have had the plans transmitted to her ship instead of physically taken aboard.

I also thought they added one to many lines to a few of the jokes to basically tell the us that it was the joke. Two specific examples were when they put the hood over Yen's character and he says "Really? I'm blind." it should have stopped at just "Really? and when they talk about dying in the cold vacuum of space and K2 says "I won't...because I can survive in space." should have stopped and "I wont." Very nitpicky, but just an opinion.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would put it right up there with ROTJ in terms of rankings in the series.

well...i'm old but....i'm not sure i would have gotten the first one at least....the second i think was for a different reason...

I mean the blind part...I wasn't even focused on the fact that they were putting a hood over him (there was a lot going on there) so if he simply said "Really" i might not have noticed.

The robot joke...it's not that i wouldn't have gotten it but....it was in his character to be waaaaayyy overly explanatory. He had already demonstrated that many many times. So I thought that was not so much so that you would get the joke but because that was in his character.

The Collective
AG
Prequels are relevant to the discussion, because if anything, the tone and serious nature of the third act of Episode III is the closest thing to Rogue One. It fails, but the feeling is similar in nature.

Also... John Williams made ROTS better than it actually is. Imagine if he had done Rogue One.
bangobango
AG
They should just redo the prequels.
Flashdiaz
AG
bangobango said:

I really don't see why they can't in the 2020's or beyond. By that time, the films will look more dated than they look now and the acting\script is so awful, no one would object to pretending those never happened.

They reboot spiderman all the time, one simple reboot of the prequels would be welcome universally.
Malachi Constant
AG
Redo the prequels and make them from the perspective of the Emperor.

Make Vader's turn to the dark side something you could actually understand him doing. Not, "hey I don't want you to die, palpatine, so now I'll just go start killing children."

Remove all the ridiculous things like jar jar and stupid droids. I watched some of the prequels over the last week and it looks like i'm watching a cartoon.

Start out with Anakin as a teenager, not a little kid. He's scrappy like a Han Solo guy, but has a hateful mean-streak due to his family situation.

The prequel "story" could be so interesting, it makes me angry that we got what we got.
Malachi Constant
AG
Quote:

By that time, the films will look more dated than they look now
This is a great point. It's weird to say, but the prequels actually look more dated than the OT.
M.C. Swag
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Quote:

By that time, the films will look more dated than they look now
This is a great point. It's weird to say, but the prequels actually look more dated than the OT.
The curse of Lucas' abandonment from practical effects to CGI.
M.C. Swag
AG
Don't see them ever doing that, though.
Saul Goodman
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Redo the prequels and make them from the perspective of the Emperor.

Make Vader's turn to the dark side something you could actually understand him doing. Not, "hey I don't want you to die, palpatine, so now I'll just go start killing children."

Remove all the ridiculous things like jar jar and stupid droids. I watched some of the prequels over the last week and it looks like i'm watching a cartoon.

Start out with Anakin as a teenager, not a little kid. He's scrappy like a Han Solo guy, but has a hateful mean-streak due to his family situation.

The prequel "story" could be so interesting, it makes me angry that we got what we got.
The Collective
AG
The prequels are canon. It will take some real mental gymnastics to redo them without destroying other items in canon. Still, it might be a task the story team is willing to take on, though it won't happen while Lucas is living, I suspect. There are other periods and stories that can be told in this universe, so I hope they go another direction after this initial franchise reboot is complete.
M.C. Swag
AG
Excerpt from this Deadspin review:

Quote:

The haunting illusion that the original trilogy, specifically Empire Strikes Back,crafted was that of Darth Vader's intentions. For nearly two full movies, Vader had little to no emotional connection with the band of heroes tasked with stopping the Empire's effortsin other words, he didn't give a f*ck, boy! Imprison Leia? Naturally. Explode Alderaan? Boom, gone. Choke out Empire officers? Did it on ****ing FaceTime. Kill Old Ben? Chop, chop. Torture Han Solo then pawn off his frozen body? Why of course.

If Vader wanted something done, he handled it; when he was told no, he chopped off Luke's hand and dropped the Papa bomb on him. All the way up until he became a babbling, suddenly regretful father and washed, crispy white dude in Return of the Jedi, Vader was the greatest villain I had witnessed in film for the very reason captured perfectly in 45 seconds by Gareth Edwards: when properly recognized, Vader is an unstoppable cyborg monster.

Now, scrap that stupid Boba Fett one-off and gimme Young Vader Murders A Lot Of People: A Star Wars Story.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

They don't even need to be remade really....just re-edited down ala the fan made versions and re-released as a single movie. Topher Grace apparently did this a couple of years ago and people really liked it...

here is the basic movie

opening crawl and then just this from EP. 1

Darth Maul battle opens the action - Maul dies and Qui Gon you get Obi Wans grief and understand its his mentor who tells him to teach Anakin (you got 90% of what you needed from Ep. 1)

Gone are Trade Federation blockades, the Gungan city, the whole Padm handmaiden storyline, the explanation of midichlorians, the galactic senate and the boring politics, Anakin's origins, the droid army's attack on Naboo, and Jar Jar Binks.

now roll right into Episode 2

Obi Wan and Anakin assigned to protect Amidala...leads us into the chase to capture the assassin in Coruscant. Anakin is assigned to accompany Padm to her home planet of Naboo. So we get some of the romance crap. But its necessary.

Leave out the clone troopers discovery mess...never amounted to anything....instead he simply discovers Count Dooku's motives.

Anakin returns to Tatooine and finds his mother tortured to death by the Tusken Raiders, but remove the laughable emotional stuff after - we get it he is angry.

The arena scene is still included (gotta have Padme in white)...but edit it down

Thats it for Episode 2 onto Episode 3

Padme tells Anakin that she's pregnant.

The Jedi Council orders Anakin to secretly monitor Palpatine and denies him the rank of Jedi Master.

Anakin is frustrated with the Jedi and gets closer to Palpatine. He tells Anakin that the Dark Side of the force has the ability to prevent death.

Anakin reports him to the Jedi Council, who doesn't trust him to come along for the arrest.

Palpatine/Sidious battles Jedi Master Mace Windu (Samuel L Jackson),

Anakin shows up and turns on his old master to become an apprentice to Darth Sidious. Sidious issues Order 66 across the galaxy, and almost all the Jedi are killed.

Obi-Wan informs Padm that Anakin has joined the dark side. She travels to Mustafar to confront him, and realizes that Obi-Wan was telling the truth.

Obi-Wan was able to hide aboard her ship, but Anakin believes that she brought him there to kill him. Anakin and Obi-Wan have their lightsaber battle in the middle of a lava flow, ending with Vader diced and burnt. Yoda and the Emperor have their lightsaber duel. Sidious finds Vader in time to save him, and Padm gives birth to twins but not intercut.

The twins find their respective homes, Yoda goes into exile on Dagobah, the droids' memories are erased, and the film ends with Anakin being turned into Darth Vader. The last shot features Vader's helmet being lowered down onto Anakin, creating the most iconic villain. And we are left on that dark note.

The end

Yoda doesn't teach Obi-Wan how to return from the netherworld to see Qui-Gon, and we don't see Darth Vader learn of Padm's death which also means we don't see the resulting infamous laughable temper tantrum "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!"

Topher Grace's Star Wars fan edit is an interesting experiment. You have to understand that Grace can only use the footage available to him, so some of the same problems exist that plagued the original films: some of the dialogue remains laughably bad, and you can't change some of the stilted performances and stiff framing. I'm not sure if it turns the saga into a great film, but its certainly a lot more entertaining.

http://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-edited-star-wars-prequels-85minute-movie/

THATS the VADER story and you keep a lot of Ewan McGregor and lose a lot of the bad stuff.

Call it
Star Wars: The Rise of Darth Vader
Malachi Constant
AG
Anakin: The Jedi will pay for what they've done. They must be stopped. They must be destroyed.

Palpatine: Only you can stop them. The power of the Dark Side will guide you. Are you ready to fulfill your destiny? To take your place by my side?

Anakin: I will do what must be done.

Palpatine: "Peace is a lie..."

Offscreen: "There is only Passion."

Palpatine: "Through Passion..."

Offscreen: "I gain strength."

Palpatine: "Through strength..."

Offscreen: "I gain Power."

Palpatine: "Through Power..."

Offscreen: "I gain victory."

Palpatine: "Through victory...

Offscreen: "My chains are broken. The force shall free me."

Palpatine (to Anakin): Your place by my side must be earned, Darth Vader.

*Darth Maul's lightsaber ignites*

See there, my very first fanfic and it's better than all the prequels.
M.C. Swag
AG
That all sounds fine on paper...but the problem is that Topher's version has been nuked from the internet. I haven't met anyone who has actually seen it. I have no doubt his version (if it exists) makes the prequels easier to swallow, but I seriously doubt it would make me feel any more satisfied about what could have been.
Flashdiaz
AG
M.C. Swag said:

5 years ago, did you think we would get a new Star Wars movie every year at Christmas?
M.C. Swag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

M.C. Swag said:

5 years ago, did you think we would get a new Star Wars movie every year at Christmas?
lol 'every year'? No, but 5 years ago Hollywood released the 3rd of 5 Transformers movie. So I never doubted there'd be more Star Wars. I just feel like Disney isn't going to spend time/money trying to re-create something old and terrible, when they could just plow ahead with something new.

Also, they're trying to capture a new generation of Star Wars fans. They already have us in their grasp, regardless if they fix Lucas' mistakes or not.

EDIT: And that doesn't mean they won't jump back in the Star Wars timeline to make new movies from old/never shown material, obviously. I'd love to see a movie about Anakin's days as a padawan in Jedi school. Stuff like that that hasn't been shown.
Flashdiaz
AG
or better yet, leave the prequels, just rename and do some editting.
- put 'A Star Wars Story' instead of Episode I, II, III.
- edit to remove all references of Anakin Skywalker and rename to Ambien Starkiller.
- shorten Revenge of the Sith so when Ambien catches fire, it detonates a grenade he had in his pocket and he blows up. No emporer saving anyone. Padme dies in childbirth from being a bad mother. One kid is born, midichlorians checked but levels are normal. He will be trained as foot soldiers in the Rebel Army. The boy is named Porkins. The end.

Now you're free to redo Episode I - III.
Malachi Constant
AG
pagerman @ work
AG
They'll never re-do the prequels because they don't have to.

My nephew is 8. He has always had SW at his fingertips. He likes the prequels. He is growing up with them and views Jar Jar in the same way that all the fanboys view C3-PO and R2: comic relief.

He and others his age are seeing SW with the same eyes that most of the fanboys saw SW originally in 1977: Kids eyes that are amazed by the visuals and love the the fairly simple, matinee-movie-like plot lines. He and his generation of fans like the prequels, and oh by the way they are the ones consuming the toys and the movie tie-in products. They are the only ones that really matter to the Disney folks, because they have a lifetime of consumption ahead of them. The 40+ year olds are the base but not nearly as important. They don't really need to appeal to you any more.

And lets be honest. The original Star Wars movie, while great to a 10 year old kid, is not a great movie. It's poorly acted, written even worse, and not exactly revolutionary in terms of the basic story it is relating. The effects, and the creation of a different world of creatures etc. are amazing (for its time) and what really captured the imagination of kids at the time. The attempt by those kids to try and turn the original Trilogy into The Godfather is laughable. They are good, fun and entertaining movies that tell a positive story that America really needed to hear in the post-watergate cold war world.
M.C. Swag
AG
pagerman @ work said:

They'll never re-do the prequels because they don't have to.

My nephew is 8. He has always had SW at his fingertips. He likes the prequels. He is growing up with them and views Jar Jar in the same way that all the fanboys view C3-PO and R2: comic relief.

He and others his age are seeing SW with the same eyes that most of the fanboys saw SW originally in 1977: Kids eyes that are amazed by the visuals and love the the fairly simple, matinee-movie-like plot lines. He and his generation of fans like the prequels, and oh by the way they are the ones consuming the toys and the movie tie-in products. They are the only ones that really matter to the Disney folks, because they have a lifetime of consumption ahead of them. The 40+ year olds are the base but not nearly as important. They don't really need to appeal to you any more.

And lets be honest. The original Star Wars movie, while great to a 10 year old kid, is not a great movie. It's poorly acted, written even worse, and not exactly revolutionary in terms of the basic story it is relating. The effects, and the creation of a different world of creatures etc. are amazing (for its time) and what really captured the imagination of kids at the time. The attempt by those kids to try and turn the original Trilogy into The Godfather is laughable. They are good, fun and entertaining movies that tell a positive story that America really needed to hear in the post-watergate cold war world.
The Collective
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

So incredible. I bet there are people still working at LF from that era who are just ****ing embarrassed.
The Collective
AG
Are you saying that the OT was only enjoyed by kids in the 70s?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.