Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,806 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lunchbox said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Here's a galactic cartography question:

Yavin is the green planet top center of the galaxy map below
Eadu is as of yet unknown (aoyu) but presumably near Yavin for how quickly they flit back and forth there / recieving transmissions quickly, etc. - described as "outer rim" by wookieepedia
Jedha is aoyu - described as "mid rim" by wookieepedia
Scarif is aoyu but presumably near Yavin for how quickly the Rebel fleet arrives there - described as "outer rim" by wookieepedia
Mustafar is clear opposite the galaxy of Yavin at the 6'o'clock position (how did Vader arrive so fast to Scarif?)
Tatooine is at the lower 3'o'clock position, right next to Geonosis
Alderaan is the blue planet near the middle.

Depending on where Scarif is really located - but outer rim regardless - why would the "planet that is farthest from" the center of the Galaxy (near Alderaan) be a way point in Leia's mind form Scarif? Vader knew she was lying, but why would Leia even make a stop at Tatooine from Scarif? (unless Scarif is very close to Tatooine which there is no evidence for yet).

Regardless of where Scarif is in relationship to Tatooine, I got the impression from Mon Mothma's and Organa's conversation that they were going to ask Obi-Wan for help. Then, Organa essentially said "i trust her [the messenger] with my life"...meaing Leia. It just so happened that Vader caught up to her right when she was arriving at Tatooine.

Could totally be wrong with all this....if Organa said anything about Leia taking it to Alderaan or the Senate, I missed it.

Also, thanks to whoever posted the end Vader scene video. At the time, I was busy following the disc and missed some of the Vader action.
Good point. She may have been going directly to Obi-Wan... totally forgot about that...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Confession - listened to this about five times today.

AlaskanAg99
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Well lets be honest; ANH has not aged well. As someone who wasn't even alive when the original trilogy concluded, it was a little hard to get kids my age invested in the story.

Maybe the power Rangers are more your speed.

Oh, and get off my lawn, junior.

Madmarttigan
AG
People talking about all of these crazy watching orders. All rogue one did is give me an excuse to never watch 1-3 again.
Madmarttigan
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Confession - listened to this about five times today.

That doesn't hold up against anything JW has done. Trying hard to be EPIC but ends up random in sporadic with no theme or feeling to it. Even the throw back to the original at the end is cut short and falls flat.
VanZandt92
tv1113 said:

People talking about all of these crazy watching orders. All rogue one did is give me an excuse to never watch 1-3 again.

Those movies aren't as bad as you remember. And Rogue One isn't as good.
jabberwalkie09
AG
VanZandt92 said:

tv1113 said:

Eh.... One and two are pretty bad, but ROTS is pretty good. I'm still a firm believer that you can skip 1 entirely, and go 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and now 7 and still get the same story.
VanZandt92
oragator said:

By the way, Not about the movie itself, but I had to sit through seven freaking trailers which was annoying enough trailers, but six of them were sequels or reboots.
Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Then finally the orIginal baby Alec Baldwin movie.

Hollywood has truly run out of original ideas.

Same here. And I thought the same thing. Didn't see the Alec Baldwin though.
wesag
AG
fig96 said:

oragator said:

By the way, Not about the movie itself, but I had to sit through seven freaking trailers which was annoying enough trailers, but six of them were sequels or reboots.
Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Yet another reason to go to Alamo. Had Guardians, Kong, start the movie.

Yeah Guardians and Kong are totally original.
wesag
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

VanZandt92 said:

tv1113 said:

Eh.... One and two are pretty bad, but ROTS is pretty good. I'm still a firm believer that you can skip 1 entirely, and go 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and now 7 and still get the same story.

The pod race was pretty sweet.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Gotta love the *****ing about sequels and reboots on a 20 plus page thread about a prequel.
Duncan Idaho
CJS4715 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

i would do release order.

SW, Holiday Special, ESB, ROTJ, TFA, RO.

If i were going to include any of the prequels, it would have to be the Phantom Edit or nothing at all.

Where would you place Caravan of Courage?
right after the prequels that I am not watching
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

VanZandt92 said:

tv1113 said:

absolutely.....

there is literally 1 and only 1 reason to watch episode 1...dual lightsaber battle with Darth Maul.

and well he dies and Qui Gon dies so....that leaves you with no real reason other than it's cool (and you can just youtube that)

As the creator of the machete order points out - every single character in Ep 1 either

a. dies and is never mentioned again in ep. 2-6
or
b. is reintroduced in ep. 2 or 4

and therefore you don't need episode 1 for anything and it spares you from

1. creepy romance age difference between anakin and padme
2. lots of jar jar
3. midichlorian BS
4. virgin birth BS
5. child actor pain
6. other racial accents that are just ugh
7. lots of trade federation garbage
8. pod race that while seemingly cool....was just action for the sake of action and had confusing gambling plot holes...an dragged on forever
jabberwalkie09
AG
wesag said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

VanZandt92 said:

tv1113 said:

The pod race was pretty sweet.
Doesn't redeem TPM because it has both child Anakin and Jar Jar. Add in the midichlorian bull****, and it sinks even lower.
fig96
AG
wesag said:

fig96 said:

oragator said:

Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Compared to Transformers 6, F&F 8, and Pirates 6? Hell yes they are, not to mention Guardians is one of the most creative takes we've seen in the superhero genre.

Also, those were the only two trailers, which was more my point.
Madmarttigan
AG
I would still rather watch episode I for pod racing and duel of the fates versus the terrible dialogue and story behind the fall of anakin to the dark side.

The beginning of the confrontation at the lava fight between anakin and obiwan literally makes me laugh out loud. Just imagine if the prequels didn't have Evan Mcgregor...
Malachi Constant
AG
The last 5 minutes are what I've wanted to see since I was a little kid growing up on a Star Wars.

Leia miss an opportunity to say "A New Hope" instead of just "Hope" at the end.

The music bothered me a little bit. KOTOR music was so perfect, they should've hired that composer.

Could've used more of Jyn and her dad. The opening scene was powerful but I needed more.

TCTTS
AG
Leia saying "A New Hope" would have been terrible and way too on the nose. "Hope" was perfect.
wesag
AG
fig96 said:

wesag said:

fig96 said:

oragator said:

Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Compared to Transformers 6, F&F 8, and Pirates 6? Hell yes they are, not to mention Guardians is one of the most creative takes we've seen in the superhero genre.

Yeah we need more saying groot and a racoon. Looking forward to it.
wesag
AG
Man why does everybody hate on the Trade Federation?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

Man why does everybody hate on the Trade Federation?

cuz politics and trade negotiations are so fun. especially detailed discussions.

same reason UN meetings are huge attendance attractions.

and it's all just a huge macguffin anyway......

just something to create a dramatic sense of urgency. they want a tax cut basically. supposedly the trade federation blockade is hurting amidala's people but we are never shown this. it's all just something vaguely referred to in order to set up a confrontation, get 2 jedi there, stage an invasion and set things in motion for palpatine.

fig96
AG
wesag said:

fig96 said:

wesag said:

fig96 said:

oragator said:

DBy the way, Not about the movie itself, but I had to sit through seven freaking trailers which was annoying enough trailers, but six of them were sequels or reboots.
Guardians of the galaxy
Fast and furious
Spider-Man
Planet of the apes
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean

Yeah we need more saying groot and a racoon. Looking forward to it.
I'm sure you'll be desperately missed.

So back to Star Wars...
Philo B 93
Rogue One was a good war flick, but in the grand scheme of the Star Wars saga, it is really a footnote. It explains the story behind one line in ANH. As far as watching order, it should be last and optional because it is gravy to the story.
The Collective
AG
At the end of the day, I think theatrical release order is the way to go for the saga films. For the one off movies, watch them whenever.
JCRiley09
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Rogue One was a good war flick, but in the grand scheme of the Star Wars saga, it is really a footnote. It explains the story behind one line in ANH. As far as watching order, it should be last and optional because it is gravy to the story.

Boring. My new watch order:

1. First two paragraphs of opening crawl to IV
2. RO
3. IV
4. V
5. Darth Maul fight scene
6. Padme in the white suit scenes
7. A couple pouty Anakin scenes
8. End of III starting with SLJ and emperor ending with charcoal Vader
9. VI
10. VII
Flashdiaz
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Boring. My new watch order:

1. First two paragraphs of opening crawl to IV
2. RO
3. IV
4. V
5. Darth Maul fight scene
6. Padme in the white suit scenes
7. A couple pouty Anakin scenes
8. End of III starting with SLJ and emperor ending with charcoal Vader
9. VI
10. VII
this is exactly how I watch the prequels
The Collective
AG
Does #7 help you deal with some guilt over what happened while watching #6?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've always been a somewhat defender of the prequels, but after The Force Awakens, I realize just how bad those movies are. Even the fight between Anakin and Obi Wan at the end of ROTS has horrible cgi and cheesy acting. My order is

RO
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
TFA

Prequels no longer serve a purpose.
benMath08
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Not only that, but I think they actively make the story worse by ruining a lot of mystique surrounding the Jedi and events of the original trilogy.
Farmer1906
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I've always been a somewhat defender of the prequels, but after The Force Awakens, I realize just how bad those movies are. Even the fight between Anakin and Obi Wan at the end of ROTS has horrible cgi and cheesy acting. My order is

RO
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
TFA

I think I'm in the same boat.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

They serve a purpose in terms of providing context for Luke's journey as a Jedi. The comparison between himself and his father is the main reason to watch the prequels. "Will Luke succumb to the dark side like his father?" "Will Obi Wan fail again?"

But yea, they are mostly terrible.
Saul Goodman
AG
benMath08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Not only that, but I think they actively make the story worse by ruining a lot of mystique surrounding the Jedi and events of the original trilogy.
I'll never forgive Lucas for destroying a lot of the mystique about Vader and his story. I've said it before, but I would love it if Disney did a re-do on Anakin's story, although I know the odds on that are zero.
AliasMan02
AG
There's just too many things from the prequels that leaked forward into other things, sadly. Even without the prequels, you still have the droid army/clones, midichlorians, etc. as canon.
The Collective
AG
I think the prequels suck too and are mostly pointless, but my reaction is different than people at least 10+ years younger than me who grew up with it. I have a 16 year old nephew who probably started consuming all things Star Wars by age 5. He loves them all. My 5 year old loves them all. I asked my kid which was his favorite Star Wars? "I like them all, dad."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

RO
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
TFA

I can pretty much get on board with this too....I almost don't need the prequels at all now...I mean seriously.

PART of the reason for seeing the prequels was (in theory) to see badass Vader....we never really got that we got

a. baby Vader and all the issues of Ep. 1
b. petulant teenage vader
c. whiny baby-Jedi killer vader and too much talking about fighting vs. Obi Wan in CGI-land

RO gives us badass Vader....do we really need his backstory? I can just accept he is the badass villain.

But if I am going that far then for me (as I always start with the iconic Star Wars) it's:

Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
RO - this works well as flashback/prequel
TFA

So when VIII and IX get released they just add onto the end. You have the trilogies separated by the flashback RO.

I'm seriously maybe DONE with the prequels - forever. Except if I run across them on TBS then I can stick with them until they cause me so much pain I can't take it any more - so about 10 minutes max. But I'd never sit down to watch them beginning to end again - I'd pick one of the other 5 before any of them.

PART of the reason for hanging on to the prequels was just because "we" needed more Star Wars...well we have 5 other pretty awesome movies now. We don't need 3 others stinking it up with mediocrity and dialogue. And by next year we will have a full 6 others (I hope) and 7 not long after that. Maybe even as many as 9 by the time the other spinoffs are done. By then the prequels will be so far down the priority of SW movies they'll be an afterthought.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.