Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,776 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/25/michael-giacchino-4-half-weeks-rogue-one-star-wars-story-soundtrack/

Explains a lot. It's a damn shame because Giacchino has written some really good stuff.
The Collective
AG
twilly
AG
vwbug said:

twilly said:

- General Syndula report to the command center...guess Hera gets promoted and survives Rebels.

When was this? I missed it.
Immediately after the Alliance Council decided not to fight.
The Collective
AG
Nm, forgot ship was there
Pinata Man
Philip J Fry said:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/25/michael-giacchino-4-half-weeks-rogue-one-star-wars-story-soundtrack/

Explains a lot. It's a damn shame because Giacchino has written some really good stuff.
Don't you think Disney execs are happy to have this one behind them? I bet it was Stress City.

Also, watch Collider's Rogue One spoilers review, the tie fighter with Jyn scene was taken out because it repeated the AT-ACT being blown away by xwing. Supposedly that is what was going to happen to that tie fighter, according to John Campea on rogue one spoiler.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I think this movie knocked it out of the park. Will have to see it again to really get my head around everything.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Somehow I completely missed this. Gonna look for it tomorrow on view #2.

To me that definitely is meant to foreshadow how desperate their situation is, and the coming of the new hope that will be Luke. What a great thing to put in.

I know they called out to Red Five; but I also thought it was Red 5 saying he needed help right before getting blown to bits. And I immediately thought; "well that's how Luke got his spot..."

It helped that I rewatched Ep 4 last night and then saw the movie today
The Kraken
AG
Did I miss something? Was Leia with the Rebel fleet during the attack? If so, that doesn't make much sense.
YellowPot_97
AG
vwbug said:

twilly said:

- General Syndula report to the command center...guess Hera gets promoted and survives Rebels.

When was this? I missed it.
The Ghost is on Yavin and in the final space battle

Chopper is on Yavin as well.....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
New World Ag said:

Did I miss something? Was Leia with the Rebel fleet during the attack? If so, that doesn't make much sense.

I've thought about this. Bail mentioned he was going to get her; and then Mothma said "Call the Admiral and get him to Scarif"...

It's possible she was with the Admiral when on the frigate when he got the call and had no choice.

Also, how did Artoo and Threepio get onboard?
YellowPot_97
AG
YOU ARE WELCOME

https://vimeo.com/195909731 pw: rogue1
AliasMan02
AG
Haven't read the whole thread or anyone's reviews, but thoughts:

- Overall, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. I had high expectations, to be sure.
- Tarkin (and Leia) are as bad as advertised. Really bad CGI. REALLY bad. It will be a huge punchline forever.
- I was afraid of this... way too many callbacks. The Aqualish and his buddy who bother Luke on Tatooine. 3P0 and R2 thrown in where it made nooooo sense; they're crew on the Tantive IV but are randomly in the HQ and commenting on missions?
- The reuse of audio and video clips from ANH was really sloppy and jumped out.
- Hey, we got to see what happened to the previous Red 5! And they felt the need to really repeat it and drive it home. A minor complaint but I think indicative of the sorts of issues they had.
- I felt like the dialog, especially in the second act, was lacking. The best example is when the council is arguing and all making their points about how to deal with the Death Star. It's so mechanical. Nobody seemed genuinely angry or upset or talked over each other. They just said lines.
- I felt the first Vader scene fell flat. Isn't Vader above making puns about choking? That felt 100 percent tacked on.

That's a lot of complaints, but there is a lot of good as well. I'm glad this movie exists.

- I thought Bacta Vader was kickass, and loved him wrecking the Rebels at the end. Plus seeing his fortress on Mustafar and his loyal supplicants was great.
- I thought the space battle ruled.
- I loved all the Rebels references, particularly General Syndulla being called on the comm on Yavin.
- I thought Saw was fantastic. So paranoid and edgy and crazy.
- I love that they killed the whole crew. I REALLY feared the last second bail out.
- K! Money.
- Kassian and Jyn are very worthy Rebel heroes.
Brahma
Just finished seeing it tonight. Loved it so much! It felt like a Star Wars movie through and through.

I saw it in 2D and thought Tarkin was an actor that looked really similar at first. Leia looked good to me too! I didn't know they were CGI and didn't know they were even going to be in it going in. Loved the Vader scene at the end. Overall an excellent addition to the universe!
AliasMan02
AG
SeaAg15 said:

Just finished seeing it tonight. Loved it so much! It felt like a Star Wars movie through and through.

I saw it in 2D and thought Tarkin was an actor that looked really similar at first. Leia looked good to me too! I didn't know they were CGI and didn't know they were even going to be in it going in. Loved the Vader scene at the end. Overall an excellent addition to the universe!

I'm shocked that anyone could see anything but terrible for Tarkin and Leia, based on my 2D experience. Really starting to wonder if the issue is individual projectors and how they are set up. Maybe it's not bad in some projectors or formats.

Ftr, I had heard nothing about his character or the CGI going in. I've been dark on Star Wars for weeks.
Philip J Fry
AG
Thought Tarkin looked fine and could hardly tell it was CGI in most scenes.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just got back, I rank it third now, with ESB and SW being above it, and TFA behind.

Most of it has already been covered, but I thought Tarkin was fine.

My favorite throwback was the two guys Luke runs into at the Cantina running into Jyn. Such a great Easter Egg for fans.

Awesome movie. Really excited for the next few years.
wangus12
AG
For those that thought the CGI was awful, what are some examples of good full human CGI.not trying to be snarky, just the only one I can think of is The Scorpion King
MrPlow2010
AG

They did it better than DC

Also, Jyn literally became stardust lol
heddleston
AG
For me all the throwbacks and Easter eggs and stuff detracted from this(and TFA) for me. Tarkin and Leia were fine I guess, but when you just randomly throw R2 and 3PO in there or the cantina guys it just feels downright patronizing,like we're all too dumb to remember this is a star wars movie. Like Dennis Nedry going "Star Wars! Star Wars! We got Star Wars here!"

That said, I had fun and stars got warred, which is what I wanted. Good flick!
titanmaster_race
wangus12 said:

For those that thought the CGI was awful, what are some examples of good full human CGI.not trying to be snarky, just the only one I can think of is The Scorpion King

Tarkin looked like Dobby the Elf
titanmaster_race
My takeaway from the space battle at scarif: "I can't wait to ride this ride at Disney!"
DB Coach
AG
Jim01 said:

Just re-watched that teaser and it's really amazing how little of that teaser is actually in the movie.

1. "I rebel" line - Nope
2. Whitaker with short hair/young look and his lines "What if they break you... what will you become." - Nope
3. The final frames of Jyn turning around in the tunnel - Nope
4. Mendelson on the beach - Nope
5. Jyn running around in the sand with the giant walkers - Nope
6. The cool blaring siren sound - Nope

I mean literally over half of that teaser isn't actually in the movie.
The cool blaring siren sound was there...but it was really brief. I believe it was used on Scarif during the ground battle.
pagerman @ work
AG
Amazingly well done, and frankly it's nice to see a movie in this franchise that isn't weighed down by having to advance the arc of the Roman numeral storyline. Much more gritty and as someone said earlier it puts the "war" in Star Wars.

The CGI on Tarkin was amazing. I had trouble determining if it was makeup or effects. Turns out a little of both. To bring a character back to life that was last seen almost 40 years ago that was portrayed by an actor who died 22 years ago and look and sound that good is amazing.

On the other hand CGI Leia was atrociously bad and clearly all CGI. She looked like a character from the Tin Tin movie.
heddleston
AG
Was there a discernible difference between the regular white stormtroopers and the beigey ones that were interspersed on Scarif? It was hard to tell, but maybe they weren't as heavily armored? Their legs looked more like pants than the normal armor.
MandoArms
SpreadsheetAg said:

New World Ag said:

I've thought about this. Bail mentioned he was going to get her; and then Mothma said "Call the Admiral and get him to Scarif"...

It's possible she was with the Admiral when on the frigate when he got the call and had no choice.

Also, how did Artoo and Threepio get onboard?
I think 3PO says, "We are going to Scariff? No one ever tells me anything," so I think when we see them they are about to board a transporter.
Flashdiaz
AG
Maybe I misheard it but when they were in the databank looking for the plans, they were going through the names and said black saber... reference to mandalorian black saber from clone wars and rebels?
Pendragon12
AG
I actually didn't even know Tarkin was CGI, so it was obviously pretty decent. I knew something was different about Leia, but I still thought it was a pretty solid rendition of a CGI human.

I thought this was good. I'm glad it wasn't all warm and fuzzy at the end saving the rebels. I'm glad they had a lot of tie ins. I just wish they were clearer at the beginning with what was going on. But overall it was a pretty entertaining movie.

The last fight scene was awesome.
Ag Since 83
AG
I have to hit the road all day for my niece's first birthday party, but I wanted to start a conversation about great lines from the film. One I really liked was (exact wording probably wrong) "you might as well be a stormtrooper." I think the exploration of the extremes the early Rebels went to was really well done and this quote touches on that.
wangus12
AG
The Force is with me and I am One with The Force
Jim01
AG
The point is I can't really think of ANY movie that had a full CG human that is that great. That's why it shouldn't be done.

They probably had to show Tarkin since he was such a big character on that side but they could have done a much better job framing the shots to not show him or have a scene be over telecom or hologram like with Snope (so yes it looks fake but it's not supposed to be real).

For Leia though... why show her? It was easily avoidable by just showing her from behind, then cut to her hand accepting the disk. No need to show a CG human when it's perfectly avoidable.

I think that last impression is what has me a little down. Overall I really enjoyed it but to end it with such horrible CG and on top of that a bit of a cheesy line kind of left it on a low note.
Flashdiaz
AG
I really didn't have that much of a problem with Lea and tarkin and I'm normally against cgi abuse. And yes there were a couple cheesy lines but it's starwars, they've always had cheesy lines.
tremble
AG
I really don't understand the CGI complains on Tarkin. I didn't know Cushing was dead and assumed they had just used more makeup to cover age.
Joan Wilder
AG
I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. My older brother said he felt 8 years old again.

We took my 6th grade niece and she was genuinely thrilled and excited through the whole movie. When she saw the rock outline on Jedda she turns to me and says "that looks like a Luke!" So I enjoyed this movie even more seeing a kid enjoy Star Wars the way we did.

I think the characters were better in TFA, particularly Finn and Rey. Rey was a great hero. I'm not sure I knew half the characters' names in this one until the end, including cassion.

The droid in rogue 1 was fantastic though. I felt genuine empathy when he died saving them.

The only cameo that bugged me was C3P0. But I have always disliked him and anytime he pops up it seems cheesy to me. The others were kind of fun and I liked Tarkin.

The last 30 min were amazing and the final scene with Vader was one of the best of any Star Wars scene ever.
maca1028
The scene with her limping down the satellite platform as the Tie Fighter comes up behind her wasn't in the movie either, but I think that was in trailer #2.
titanmaster_race
Forrest Whittaker and his character were awful. The only really low point of the movie, IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.