Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

216,639 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Blatant Disregard said:

It had been so long since I watched the prequels in their entirety that I don't remember this scene. Were the blue balls a weapon of some kind? Or were they replaced with something more menacing later in the production process?
M.C. Swag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Are you saying that the OT was only enjoyed by kids in the 70s?
Don't think that's what he's meant. Nostalgia (member berries) bias is real. Kids of the late 90s/early 2000s liked the prequels for the same reasons kids of the 70s like the original. Older Star Wars fans like to bash Hayden Christensen's acting and whiny petulance but give Mark Hamil a pass when he basically did the same stuff. The bad CGI is a more modern version of the early costumes in ANH. (The cantina scenes with all the aliens in party city masks are pretty rough when you look at it today.)
The Collective
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

It had been so long since I watched the prequels in their entirety that I don't remember this scene. Were the blue balls a weapon of some kind? Or were they replaced with something more menacing later in the production process?

They are a bomb of sorts that the Gungans launched with catapults.... need the c/lol, g'damn that movie was embarrassing because I got a lot of my friends to buy in and go see it together in high school.
M.C. Swag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

They are a bomb of sorts that the Gungans launched with catapults.... need the c/lol, g'damn that movie was embarrassing because I got a lot of my friends to buy in and go see it together in high school.
I think I was 11 or 12 when Ep.1 was released and loved it at the time. I'm curious, for those that were already adults, did you sit in that movie and realize the garbage you were watching immediately? or did it take awhile to actually comprehend what you witnessed?
oragator
M.C. Swag said:

No one is going to defend the prequels in terms of quality. They are objectively bad films in almost every way; but I liked their intent. I know Lucas didn't intend to tell the Star Wars story with ANH as being Ep. 4 of a 6 part saga, but as a viewer, I really really enjoyed that idea. I was floored to find out how Vader became his evil self and what young Obi Wan in his prime could do. The idea of seeing MULTIPLE Jedi on screen, fighting together, should have been amazing.

Lucas completely failed to execute on those opportunities and I feel like it has biased alot of people against the IDEA of the prequels. Which is a shame. What Lucas tried to do, was appreciated by me.

I have made a similar point for years. As mediocre as the prequels were, at least they tried. New characters, worlds, Storylines, special effects etc, They largely failed (in retrospect mainly because they were far too cartoonish)...but TFA didn't try, unless you count finding ways to dress up a copied plot as trying. For that I respect Lucas more than JJ.
Flashdiaz
AG
M.C. Swag said:

CJS4715 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I think I was 11 or 12 when Ep.1 was released and loved it at the time. I'm curious, for those that were already adults, did you sit in that movie and realize the garbage you were watching immediately? or did it take awhile to actually comprehend what you witnessed?
as soon as the trade federation people started talking in bad asian accents within the first minute, I knew it was in trouble.
pagerman @ work
AG
M.C. Swag said:

CJS4715 said:

Don't think that's what he's meant. Nostalgia (member berries) bias is real. Kids of the late 90s/early 2000s liked the prequels for the same reasons kids of the 70s like the original. Older Star Wars fans like to bash Hayden Christensen's acting and whiny petulance but give Mark Hamil a pass when he basically did the same stuff. The bad CGI is a more modern version of the early costumes in ANH. (The cantina scenes with all the aliens in party city masks are pretty rough when you look at it today.)
This.

Hamill still can't act his way out of a paper bag. His one scene in The Force Awakens is cringeworthy and he doesn't even speak. He simply has that expression on his face like he's trying to determine if/hoping it's just going to be a fart.

That said, he is Luke Skywalker, warts and all.
Ag Since 83
AG
M.C. Swag said:

CJS4715 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I was 16 so not an adult, but I and many others knew right away what a horrible mess it was
The Collective
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I was 17. I knew that I was watching something bad. All except 2 other guys I went with were about as far from "fan boys" as you could get. In the interest of self-preservation, I did not sugarcoat it or try to talk myself into it being a good movie. Had I been with a group of hardcore Star Wars people, I might have fallen into the trap of trying to believe it was a good movie.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

I'm curious, for those that were already adults, did you sit in that movie and realize the garbage you were watching immediately? or did it take awhile to actually comprehend what you witnessed?
It was hard for me to acknowledge because I wanted to like it so badly, but I did realize it pretty quickly. The fact they went with a little kid for Anakin, JarJar, the Gungans, the silly looking robot soldiers all, etc. all added up to being disappointed immediately. It just felt like so much more of a kids movie than the feel of the old Star Wars I grew up with. I do think that disappointment grew the longer I had to dwell on it, but I was definitely disappointed immediately and knew I'd just watched a total dud.
M.C. Swag
AG
Y'all seen those youtube vids of people back in '99 walking out of the theater after just seeing Ep. 1? So many seemed to love it. I wonder how much of that had to do with the final minutes of the film being the Darth Maul fight scene.
The Collective
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Y'all seen those youtube vids of people back in '99 walking out of the theater after just seeing Ep. 1? So many seemed to love it. I wonder how much of that had to do with the final minutes of the film being the Darth Maul fight scene.

I had one buddy, HUGE fanboy (read all the books, etc), who did try to defend it walking out of the theater, and he brought up the lightsaber fight as the main crux of his argument. My only response to him was, "roger, roger".
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
CJS4715 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I had one buddy, HUGE fanboy (read all the books, etc), who did try to defend it walking out of the theater, and he brought up the lightsaber fight as the main crux of his argument. My only response to him was, "roger, roger".
Did he ever watch ep4 in the theater?
Macarthur
Saw it last night and really liked it.

I think it's up there with ESB for me. Really well done.
pagerman @ work
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It's the end of a 16 year drought.

Quote:

If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this:

Quote:

*******, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life!

That ain't no regular cracker, was it?

What was that, a Saltine?

*******, that was delicious!

That wasn't no Saltine. That was...That was a Ritz.

That wasn't a Ritz? God, that was the best cracker I ever ate in my life.

Can I have another one, please? Please, one more.

M.C. Swag
AG
lol No, I totally get it. Awesome metaphor.
The Collective
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Being my age, he only saw the re-release in theater. What's your point?
Duncan Idaho
so this is interesting and some what shocking

Quote:

A totally changed ending could hint at a fundamental misunderstanding between director and studio, but rather than a sop to a playing-it-safe company that wanted a softer conclusion, Rogue One's ending was tweaked to make it darker. Edwards says the original script had the main characters survive, rather than die during the battle of Scarif not because he wanted to keep them alive, but purely because he had assumed Disney wouldn't let him kill them off.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards
Dro07
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

so this is interesting and some what shocking

Quote:

A totally changed ending could hint at a fundamental misunderstanding between director and studio, but rather than a sop to a playing-it-safe company that wanted a softer conclusion, Rogue One's ending was tweaked to make it darker. Edwards says the original script had the main characters survive, rather than die during the battle of Scarif not because he wanted to keep them alive, but purely because he had assumed Disney wouldn't let him kill them off.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards
So Mickey let them balls hang.
Cyprian
AG
Any star wars thread will inevitably turn into a debate about how ****ty the prequels are.
TXAG 05
AG
I was 17 and was so excited to finally see new Star Wars.

Kept waiting for it to get good and it just never did until the saber fight at the end. My hopes went up, then there was the Gungan parade and started saying to myself, don't be the end, don't be the end, don't be the end. Then it ended, and we all left, not really sure what we had just seen.

With all the hype around TPM, it was impossible to meet expectations, even if it was really good. But it was so bad

The Collective
AG
Mickey finally let his way of doing business leak into the company's filmmaking. Balls exposed and dropped on the competition.

Edit: And now we know why Jyn is seen on the beach running with the hard drive (data tape, whatever) - she lived originally. Holy crap - letting almost everyone live would have destroyed this story.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
CJS4715 said:

AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Being my age, he only saw the re-release in theater. What's your point?
Because there's something very nostalgic for those of us who did. And being a fanboy doesn't necessarily mean nostalgic. Which explains why the older generations didn't like eps 1-3 and a lot of younger kids did. They weren't there to witness the originals in the theater. Which is where I generated a lot of disgust for eps 1-3. Not because they were poor stories but because they didn't follow in the footsteps of the originals. I would love for 1-3 to get re-written and remade. It needs to be done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

And now we know why Jyn is seen on the beach running with the hard drive (data tape, whatever) - she lived originally. Holy crap - letting almost everyone live would have destroyed this story.

Not sure that's entirely the case. I think that was simply editing. Originally the place where the plans were stolen and subsequently uploaded, were two different locations. I believe they just edited out the sequence of her running to the upload site and combined the locations to be in the same place.
Duncan Idaho
CJS4715 said:

Mickey finally let his way of doing business leak into the company's filmmaking. Balls exposed and dropped on the competition.

Edit: And now we know why Jyn is seen on the beach running with the hard drive (data tape, whatever) - she lived originally. Holy crap - letting almost everyone live would have destroyed this story.
I was hoping for a directors cut that would have been the "darker" version...but now I have no interest in seeing the originally envisioned story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man, this guy really hates Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Read this earlier. Really surprising.

Good game, Disney.
twilly
AG
Another observation about Rogue One...

In the Darth Vader bad ass killing scene, at the beginning, the only illumination comes from his igniting his light saber. What about the lights on his chest plate and belt? Wouldn't those have been seen in complete darkness?

And just to be sure, I rewatched his entrance into the Tantive IV in ANH, and sure enough, those lights were on.
Flashdiaz
AG
twilly said:

In the Darth Vader bad ass killing scene, at the beginning, the only illumination comes from his igniting his light saber. What about the lights on his chest plate and belt? Wouldn't those have been seen in complete darkness?

And just to be sure, I rewatched his entrance into the Tantive IV in ANH, and sure enough, those lights were on.
maybe he turns his suit off and holds his breath.
twilly
AG
Flashdiaz said:

twilly said:

I thought that as well, but you hear his mechanical breathing right before the saber comes on.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

he is....which is just laughable and stupid.

the Originals are still loved by many many more newcomers to it than the prequels. it has its fans too...amazingly. but not nearly as many.

My kids for example are huge fans of the Original trilogies and hate the prequels - guess what they were of the perfect ages for the prequels. Never really cared for them that much. they wouldn't choose to watch them given any choice.

That wasn't me steering them either I let them watch them all...and other crap too. for example they loved Barney and Thomas the Tank engine which are both painful to watch. My son also loved Transformers movies which I despise.

It doesn't matter that it is outdated either - same reason I love Planet of the Apes (original) and other movies made before my time.
bangobango
AG
You ever seen that scene in Galaxy Quest where the super fan boy asks Tim Allen some super-technical question about the show?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
twilly said:

Flashdiaz said:

twilly said:

I thought that as well, but you hear his mechanical breathing right before the saber comes on.

obviously it has a low power stealth mode. duh. what design wouldn't include that.
oragator
bangobango said:

You ever seen that scene in Galaxy Quest where the super fan boy asks Tim Allen some super-technical question about the show?

You mentioning that reminded me of shatner on SNL with the Trek fans.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/trekkies/n9511?snl=1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.