Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,797 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Marsh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoyed the movie. Final darth vader scene was great. The last 45-60 mins was some of the best Star Wars ever.

My "major" complaint would be character development. I simply didn't care for Cassian or Jyn. I cared more about K-2 dying than the two main characters (although how they died was awesome). I think a little more time needed to be spent reworking the first part of the movie. Saw was absolutely dreadful and felt completely out of place and unnecessary to the story.

A few minor nit picks would be cgi tarkin was awful. I enjoyed all the call backs to ANH, but I almost wished they were able to tie this movie to the TFA trilogy somehow. Have a character survive from this movie only to show up in the movie after TFA. Again, minor and I'm fine thy didn't do it, but I thought that would have been neat.

Overall, good movie but I still think TFA is better.
Farmer1906
AG
I find it very interesting how split everyone is on Tarkin.
spanky
AG
Crystal Blue Meth said:

A few minor nit picks would be cgi tarkin was awful. I enjoyed all the call backs to ANH, but I almost wished they were able to tie this movie to the TFA trilogy somehow. Have a character survive from this movie only to show up in the movie after TFA. Again, minor and I'm fine thy didn't do it, but I thought that would have been neat.
Leia?
The Collective
AG

Quick hitters:
I liked Jyn & Cassian, but that's just me. I had zero feelings about Baze & Bodhi. K2 was great... Easily pulled the most emotion out of me.

I will watch again before judging the start. I want to say disjointed as well, but I think the style was intentional as Edwards referred to it being almost like a documentary. I know that it just felt off a bit, but I was so overwhelmed by the visuals that I can't fairly judge it off one screening.

Would love to see Jeddha explored more off camera and maybe in Rebels.

Vader's castle was damn sweet. I wasn't crazy about his pun... would have preferred he just left the room after choking Krennick. His voice sounded good at first but got progressively worse.

CGI characters were fine in 2D. I expected the worst but was mildly surprised. My wife, who is not big on SW, didn't notice Tarkin was fake. Like the ending... Ties in so well to Ep IV and gives more weight to Vader's frustration when boarding the rebel ship.

And Vader... I was worried bringing him into a movie in this era would lessen his legacy, but it only solidified it.
spanky
AG
Crystal Blue Meth said:

My "major" complaint would be character development. I simply didn't care for Cassian or Jyn. I cared more about K-2 dying than the two main characters (although how they died was awesome). I think a little more time needed to be spent reworking the first part of the movie. Saw was absolutely dreadful and felt completely out of place and unnecessary to the story.
All of this. My 9 year old daughter should have been balling when Cassian and Jyn died. I think they were both great, but their characters should have meant more.
Jim01
AG
Quote:

CGI characters were fine in 2D. I expected the worst but was mildly surprised. My wife, who is not big on SW, didn't notice Tarkin was fake. Like the ending... Ties in so well to Ep IV and gives more weight to Vader's frustration when boarding the rebel ship.
Seems that the 3D / 2D is a big factor in the fakeness. Also it's interesting your wife didn't notice because I was just mentioning that to a friend, wondering how much of their fakeness was because we KNEW they were fake.
Ag Since 83
AG
Tarkin looked enough not like him that if I hadn't known they were doing a CGI Tarkin I would wonder if they found a guy who looked sort of like him and given him a weird makeup job to try and make him Peter Cushing

Put me on the side that likes all the characters. I thought Jyn and Cassian were well developed and their final scene was perfect. The other crew members were developed less but I think they all brought something important to the story and if nothing else they were good soldiers. Their sacrifice seemed like a crew worthy of having the most badass squadron in the galaxy named after them.
NColoradoAG
aggie1906 said:

I find it very interesting how split everyone is on Tarkin.
I went in with a clean slate and didn't even know Tarkin was going to be in this film. Took me a second to even realize he was CG. Thought it was makeup at first.

Saw it in 2D
Farmer1906
AG
I went in knowing it was fake, saw it in 3D, and came away mostly impressed. Not perfect, but I doubt the people I went with knew it wasn't real.
YellowPot_97
AG
For those that had issue with Vader's "pun".....

"Apology accepted Captain Needa."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's not a pun though. And it's not nearly as cheesy.
Legal Custodian
AG
Yeah, I think it would have been great if he just choked him, then walking off said, 'yes, you are still in command'. Would have been much more badass
tremble
AG
Movie was great. Last hour is about as good, and as close to OG Star Wars as you can't get IMO.

I do agree the beginning with Saw could have been handled better but overall I liked this better than TFA.

I couldn't tell Tarkin was CGI since I didn't keep up with anything outside him being in ANH. He looked fine imo, i thought it was makeup on another guy.
agmag90
Jim01 said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned... Did anyone else notice how much the helmets of the volunteer rebel crew that went on the last mission looked like WW2 helmets?
Yes, I thought the exact same thing. Some shots of them looked like they were wearing uniforms out of Saving Private Ryan or something. Did not bother me though
jabberwalkie09
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Yeah, I think it would have been great if he just choked him, then walking off said, 'yes, you are still in command'. Would have been much more badass
That line of dialogue from Vader continues to bug me honestly. Like really bug me. Vader was never a funny, pun character to me. He was always a character driven by duty and was on point all the time.

I personally would have had him choke him, turn, and say, "For now." Then release Krennic.
spanky
AG
BTW, I really really want this jacket now after seeing more of it in the movie:

Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
The movie has both my favorite and least favorite Vader moments. Darth Vader shouldn't make dad jokes.
spanky
AG
When Vader dropped that line I immediately thought "Is Darth Vader gonna have to choke a *****?"
Ag Since 83
AG
Gonna disagree with that

"I find your lack of faith disturbing "
The aforementioned "apology accepted Captain Needa"

Definitely some humor in there like he's enjoying saying it. I appreciated the choke line, but that's because I've read Catalyst and had some insight into the Tarkin/Krennic rivalry and their ambitions
The Collective
AG
Can't find much info about Vader's castle. They didn't have a location name at the start of that scene, right?

Why didn't Vader force pull that memory chip?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought it was damn near perfect, and I'm actually shocked to have that opinion.

The Vader dad joke was one of the small imperfections IMO. More than made up for by his last scene though.
The Collective
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I thought it was damn near perfect, and I'm actually shocked to have that opinion.

I'm right there with you. I have full confidence in Disney & Lucasfilm now. I was against the idea of a Han Solo film from the get go, but seeing the decisions they've made for that film and the quality of this one, I'm all for it now. Star Wars is now part of the Christmas season.

One thing Disney has done a masterful job at with the TFA and this movie is that I left the theater wanting to experience one scene from the film again (can I just rewind it over and over please). Creating memorable scenes like that takes me back to being a kid. Bravo to them.
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Who's ready for TCTTS to come in and throw water all over our exuberance when his "expert eye" sees it?
Per usual, I'm just sitting here atop my castle, notebook in hand, waiting with baited breath to bestow my vast amounts of knowledge upon the plebeians.

Seriously, though, there's no one who wants these movies to be great more than me. But if something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Apologies for not sugar coating these types of things. Conversely, if it works for you, my thought/opinions should have absolutely no baring on your enjoyment / this thread.

That said, I'm not seeing it 'til Saturday evening, and have to be up at 5 AM for a flight home the next day, so I might not be able to post 'til sometime Sunday. Hoping for the best...
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

Can't find much info about Vader's castle. They didn't have a location name at the start of that scene, right?
Not that I remember, but I can only assume that it's Mustafar. I mean, the surface looked like what I remember from ROTS. Granted it's been some time since I have seen ROTS.
Jim01
AG
I think that's the biggest takeaway for me. To breath a sigh of relief that the greatness of TFA wasn't just JJ, but that the entire team is capable and has a great vision.
wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

Why didn't Vader force pull that memory chip?

I think Vader was in full beast mode. He boarded that ship with the intention of killing every single rebel. They did expect the Tantive IV to be there. I did think it was weird that Leia and the ship would be in a battle zone
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought they did great with Chirrut and Baze, from start to death. Reality is they can't develop a deep story on all of these brand new characters without making it a 4 hour movie. I loved how they used humor to tie you to them instead. Also loved "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me."
wangus12
AG
Look forward to your review. I'm sure we've disagreed on films in the past, but I always like reading your thoughts
The Collective
AG
Look forward to your thoughts... It wasn't prrfect, so I'll enjoy reading someone with a keener eye for cinema than me.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Who's ready for TCTTS to come in and throw water all over our exuberance when his "expert eye" sees it?
Per usual, I'm just sitting here atop my castle, notebook in hand, waiting with baited breath to bestow my vast amounts of knowledge upon the plebeians.

Seriously, though, there's no one who wants these movies to be great more than me. But if something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Apologies for not sugar coating these types of things. Conversely, if it works for you, my thought/opinions should have absolutely no baring on your enjoyment / this thread.

That said, I'm not seeing it 'til Saturday evening, and have to be up at 5 AM for a flight home the next day, so I might not be able to post 'til sometime Sunday. Hoping for the best...
Now why are you in this thread? It won't have as much of an impact when you already know what is going to happen.
HeadGames
AG
Agreed, they were fine. I have less gripes about this one than TFA. I only have a big gripe about the first 45 minutes being a mess.
3rd and 2
AG
Is Jyn 100% dead? I ask because I read that her actress signed up for sequels.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

Is Jyn 100% dead? I ask because I read that her actress signed up for sequels.

100%
Jim01
AG
Just because she may have signed on for more movies doesn't mean they are SEQUELS. Remember other movies coming, like Han Solo, Obi Wan, etc.... that she could appear in that take place before Rogue One.
tremble
AG
TC did you get that Kenobi script sent? This movie just made seriously sit and consider just how awesome spin offs in the universe are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.