Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,794 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

He wrote the script as well. Episode VIII is going to be a much more singular vision, which can only be a good thing, IMO.

Star Wars episodes that are singular visions don't have a good track record
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

• Suddenly it has become winter and the resistance is hurriedly evacuating as the FO attacks....
  • Finn somehow is trapped in a cave with a snow beast....Po goes out in the dangerous temps to rescue him despite Leia's warnings. In the morning they find them inside a tauntaun for warmth.
  • Meanwhile Luke and Rey have landed/crashed on a swamp planet to begin her training and live in a hut.
  • Kylo summons bounty hunter Greedo Fett grandson of Boba...who works for Unkar Plutt on Jakku.
  • Finn and Po escape with Leia and Chewy and after hiding in an asteroid field that turns out to be a monster worm thing that eats metal ships...they go to a cloud city.
  • Luke trains Rey and makes her carry him on her shoulders, she sees images of Kylo in a cave.
  • They meet octogenarian Lando Calrissian....BB8 gets disassembled and Finn gets captured and frozen when Lando betrays them to Kylo Ren in exchange for a floating wheelchair with blasters.
  • Rey senses this and leaves her training early despite Luke shaking his head.
  • Greedo Fett leaves taking Finn's frozen body back to Jakku for a bounty from the Resistance.
  • Rey arrives at cloud city and falls into Kylo's trap...Kylo severs Reys hand and then reveals he is her brother!!!!
  • Rey is ejected beneath cloud city and Chewy and Leia rescue her with the Millennium Falcon, having escaped when Lando felt regret and helped them.
  • Later aboard a medical frigate Rey receives a mechanical hand.
  • Meanwhile Lando and Chewy set off to Jakku to rescue Finn from Unkar Plutt...and C3PO, BB8, R2D2, Leia, Po, Luke and Rey look out a window and wait.

• I'd watch it
    Me too.
    fig96
    AG
    oragator said:

TCTTS said:

He wrote the script as well. Episode VIII is going to be a much more singular vision, which can only be a good thing, IMO.
    Hope you are right, you know more about the innner workings out there than me.

I will say he also directed the Brothers Bloom, which i think is a very underrated movie. Really well made.

Brick. You're welcome.
    Farmer1906
    AG
    Zombie Jon Snow said:

• Suddenly it has become winter and the resistance is hurriedly evacuating as the FO attacks....
  • Finn somehow is trapped in a cave with a snow beast....Po goes out in the dangerous temps to rescue him despite Leia's warnings. In the morning they find them inside a tauntaun for warmth.
  • Meanwhile Luke and Rey have landed/crashed on a swamp planet to begin her training and live in a hut.
  • Kylo summons bounty hunter Greedo Fett grandson of Boba...who works for Unkar Plutt on Jakku.
  • Finn and Po escape with Leia and Chewy and after hiding in an asteroid field that turns out to be a monster worm thing that eats metal ships...they go to a cloud city.
  • Luke trains Rey and makes her carry him on her shoulders, she sees images of Kylo in a cave.
  • They meet octogenarian Lando Calrissian....BB8 gets disassembled and Finn gets captured and frozen when Lando betrays them to Kylo Ren in exchange for a floating wheelchair with blasters.
  • Rey senses this and leaves her training early despite Luke shaking his head.
  • Greedo Fett leaves taking Finn's frozen body back to Jakku for a bounty from the Resistance.
  • Rey arrives at cloud city and falls into Kylo's trap...Kylo severs Reys hand and then reveals he is her brother!!!!
  • Rey is ejected beneath cloud city and Chewy and Leia rescue her with the Millennium Falcon, having escaped when Lando felt regret and helped them.
  • Later aboard a medical frigate Rey receives a mechanical hand.
  • Meanwhile Lando and Chewy set off to Jakku to rescue Finn from Unkar Plutt...and C3PO, BB8, R2D2, Leia, Po, Luke and Rey look out a window and wait.

• HOLY ***** I did not see that coming.
    wangus12
    AG
    aggie1906 said:

Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

He also directed "the fly " episode of breaking bad.

One of the most overrated episodes in tv history.
    Uh, what? It's universally hated as the worst episode of the series.

One would think, but some consider it one of the best of the series.
    That entire show sucked
    Farmer1906
    AG
    wangus12 said:

aggie1906 said:

Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

One would think, but some consider it one of the best of the series.
    That entire show sucked
    Now you're just trolling.
    chipotle
    Should have just done holographic conversations with tarkin and a distance shot of leia getting the giant usb drive. Sorry, but it looked awful.
    DannyDuberstein
    AG
    Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

While in no way do I think it was a great episode, there was one scene that I did think was great about that episode -> Walt expressing his regret on how long he ended up living and the exact moment he wished he had died (the night Jane died). He also apologizes to Jesse about Jane, although Jesse doesn't understand the context. Other than the series finale, this was really the only time we ever saw this from Walt.
    oragator
    fig96 said:

oragator said:

TCTTS said:

I will say he also directed the Brothers Bloom, which i think is a very underrated movie. Really well made.

Brick. You're welcome.
    Yeah I've seen it, but forgot about it within about ten seconds of it ending. I even had to look up the title when you mentioned it before remembering. Meant for younger folks i suppose...but within that framework is was done well.
    The Collective
    AG
    Quote:

I've been told many times (including on this board) that it was a work of genius and I just didn't get it. It's overrated because there's people out there that actually thought it was great.

Great. We'll have more Star Wars fighting on this board.
    Know Your Enemy
    AG
    Bruce Almighty said:

Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

I've been told many times (including on this board) that it was a work of genius and I just didn't get it. It's overrated because there's people out there that actually thought it was great.

Weird. I've never heard that before.
    Philo B 93
    Bruce Almighty said:

Philo B 93 said:

The more I think about the movie, the less impressed I am with it as a Star Wars movie.

It was a good war movie that takes place in space, I assume a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Yes, Darth Vader had a mostly non-necessary part. C3PO and R2D2 had a total cameo. There were X-wing fighters and the Death Star. But for 7 movies, thousands of toys, a few animated series, hundreds of books, and one Christmas Special, Star Wars is about this:
    1. The Skywalkers,
    2. Han Solo,
    3. Jedi Knights / the Force / Light Sabers

For all intents and purposes (intensive purposes for a few of you), Rogue One had none of those. The script would have been better used on a Star Trek or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I felt bad for all the kids in the audience. The first 90 minutes is a planet hopping set up with unfamiliar faces, spies, refugees, military plans, space politics, and a bunch of other stuff that 10 year olds don't care about.

I thought TFA was a much better movie, but hey... I'm a Star Wars purist.

Then you might as well stop watching after episodes 8 and 9.
    There will be plenty of Skywalker Star Wars for years to come. I don't remember the most recent Star Trek movies having Captain Piccard and Lt. Data in them. Guess I'm not a fan of "Star Wars: The Next Generation. Except they All Die in Rogue One"
    M.C. Swag
    AG
    Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

Weird. I've never heard that before.
    Same for me. Never heard anyone who liked it.
    SF2004
    AG
    I'm not sure why some of you "fans" even bother with Star Wars.

The circle is now complete on this thread. Rogue One sucked, TFA was terrible, and Lucas needs to come clean your pool for a year for the prequels.

Seriously some of you just need to move on.
    Flashdiaz
    AG
    take it to the breaking bad thread already
    TCTTS
    AG
    Some interesting critiques of the movie on a more technically, story-telling level...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/21/rogue-one-film-crit-hulk-the-slippery-sloping-story-of-rogue-one

I definitely don't agree with everything here, but he does make some good points.
    wangus12
    AG
    I'm pretty sure some ******* rewrote the definition to the word "fan" many years ago. It is now defined as people who obsess who critique and hate everything about a certain fixation.

Sports fans are never happy. Movie fans are never happy. There is always something wrong.
    Duncan Idaho
    It is short for fanatic.
    redline248
    AG
    Skip reading this thread for a couple days and come back to multiple pages of prequel hate. That's about right.
    Ag Since 83
    AG
    My parents went to see R1 today and their review was basically exactly as I expected:

• Slept through the first half
    • Then Mom left
    • Thumbs down. Too dark and gloomy for "old people like us" (they are in their mid-60s)

For reference last year my mother had to ask after seeing the movie if a) Han was Kylo's father, and b) did Kylo kill him

Honestly I don't know why they spend money on movie tickets
    fig96
    AG
    oragator said:

fig96 said:

oragator said:

TCTTS said:

Brick. You're welcome.
    Yeah I've seen it, but forgot about it within about ten seconds of it ending. I even had to look up the title when you mentioned it before remembering. Meant for younger folks i suppose...but within that framework is was done well.
    I can see it not necessarily being one's cup of tea, but it's some strong storytelling and a very specific aesthetic point of view that generally comes off as very cheesy. Really great for a director's first big project.
    aTmAg
    AG
    I asked my (HS and college aged) kids what they thought of Tarkin and Leah and they had no idea what I meant. I then told them that they were CGI and they had no idea. They thought they found actors who looked similar and used makeup or something.

I think that if they re-rendered Tarkin for a scene and inserted it into ANH then nobody would know the difference. The only reason people notice is that they know beforehand that they were CGI and pay extra attention to it.
    DTP02
    AG
    Ag Since 83 said:

My parents went to see R1 today and their review was basically exactly as I expected:

• Then Mom left
    • Thumbs down. Too dark and gloomy for "old people like us" (they are in their mid-60s)

For reference last year my mother had to ask after seeing the movie if a) Han was Kylo's father, and b) did Kylo kill him

My MIL, who is a great lady, and her husband somehow watched 6th Sense and didn't figure out Bruce Willis was dead. At all.
    DannyDuberstein
    Zombie Jon Snow
    AG
    Ag Since 83 said:

• Then Mom left

wow.......

after seeing Pearl Harbor did she ask if the Japs won WWII?
    after seeing Schindler's List did she ask if anyone died and the Germans were mean?

thats just not paying attention. stay home and watch CBS spoon fed dramas with the closed caption on (no offense)....jk....but wow.

My parents only go to the really big movies (LOTR, Harry Potters, Avatar, Star Wars, etc. like one big event movie per year)....but they "get it" and they are in their upper 70's......they loved TFA by the way. I'm sure they will see RO they just tend to wait until it is not crowded - cannot convince them that you can prebuy tickets online for reserved seats. they insist on walking up to to a box office and standing in line and buying them on the spot......so yeah they act old in some ways.

Zombie Jon Snow
    AG
    aTmAg said:

I asked my (HS and college aged) kids what they thought of Tarkin and Leah and they had no idea what I meant. I then told them that they were CGI and they had no idea. They thought they found actors who looked similar and used makeup or something.

I think that if they re-rendered Tarkin for a scene and inserted it into ANH then nobody would know the difference. The only reason people notice is that they know beforehand that they were CGI and pay extra attention to it.

hell...I thought they found a Tarkin look alike....I bought it. I was staring at him going "damn he really looks like Tarkin thats amazing"....I didn't know anything going in about that either. I knew he was dead though so I knew it wasn't him. Leia though I was like....thats CGI.

I saw it in 2D btw....they say in 3D it is not very good.
    aTmAg
    AG
    Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

hell...I thought they found a Tarkin look alike....I bought it. I was staring at him going "damn he really looks like Tarking thats amazing"....I didn't know anything going in about that either. I knew he was dead though so I knew it wasn't him. Leia though I was like....thats CGI.

My son saw it before me in 3D. Then I took all 3 of my kids (his 2nd time) to see in in 2D. I asked him today about the CGI and he had no idea. But he had no clue who Peter Cushing was, never mind that he has been dead for 20 years.

I didn't know it was CGI beforehand, but I suspected it when I watched it only because there is no way in hell they'd find somebody who looked THAT much like the original actors.
    bangobango
    AG
    Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

hell...I thought they found a Tarkin look alike....I bought it. I was staring at him going "damn he really looks like Tarkin thats amazing"....I didn't know anything going in about that either. I knew he was dead though so I knew it wasn't him. Leia though I was like....thats CGI.

Yeah, I've been rolling my eyes hard at all the experts saying the Tarkin CGI sucked. It didn't and I guarantee you 90% of the viewers didn't even realize it was CGI.
    bangobango
    AG
    aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

hell...I thought they found a Tarkin look alike....I bought it. I was staring at him going "damn he really looks like Tarking thats amazing"....I didn't know anything going in about that either. I knew he was dead though so I knew it wasn't him. Leia though I was like....thats CGI.

My son saw it before me in 3D. Then I took all 3 of my kids (his 2nd time) to see in in 2D. I asked him today about the CGI and he had no idea. But he had no clue who Peter Cushing was, never mind that he has been dead for 20 years.

I didn't know it was CGI beforehand, but I suspected it when I watched it only because there is no way in hell they'd find somebody who looked THAT much like the original actors.
    That's where I was. Figured it was CGI, but couldn't tell for sure.
    bangobango
    AG
    TCTTS said:

Some interesting critiques of the movie on a more technically, story-telling level...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/21/rogue-one-film-crit-hulk-the-slippery-sloping-story-of-rogue-one

I definitely don't agree with everything here, but he does make some good points.
    Quote:

And I even liked the idea of a pilot who is losing his mind. I liked that there wasn't really a single white dude

wtf is wrong with people right now?

Sorry, not to derail too much, but Jesus Christ I'm sick of **** like this everywhere you turn.
    The Collective
    AG
    Yep. It's annoying, but his virtue signaling for the day is complete.
    The Collective
    AG
    On the article from TCTTS, there is this quote:

Quote:

Other than putting him and his daughter together, his death scene has no other reason to exist

Am I mistaken for believing that this created a turning point for Jyn, and I guess Cassian too. I need to see this movie again. There are some inconsistencies in the second act, but I didn't think it was a POS that started rolling downhill.
    TXAG 05
    AG
    Junkhead said:

Blatant Disregard said:

TCTTS said:

Rian Johnson is helming Episode VIII, not Abrams. Only thing that gives me hope.
    I remembered this the other day, so I went and watched the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad again. I have a feeling episode VIII is going to be intense.
    Best episode in the history of TV.

I'd trade all of Breaking Bad for "Breaking Point" or "Why We Fight" from Band of Brothers.

That said, loved Rogue One. Can't wait to see what they can do with the other spinoff movies.

The Collective
    AG
    Now I see a commenter said it much better than me...
    Quote:

No. This scene is the crux of Jyn's and Cassian's changes of heart, the changes that make them the kind of people who will run off together to steal the plans in the third act. Jyn's mission can't be about just saving her father. It has to be more than that. So he has to go and she has to take up his life's work and ensure that his sabotage means something. Cassian, meanwhile, has to be something other than a killer who takes orders. He has to become a freer thinker. So he has to not take the shot, and he also has to see that his exercise of discretion doesn't matter because the Rebel leadership will do what they want. Also, there's nothing "murky" about Jyn being outraged that Cassian would follow orders and kill her father, and nothing "murky" about Cassian being upset at a Johnny-come-lately climbing up on the cross and pretending to be the only person who has lost things to the Empire. I thought this second act was perfectly clear.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

oragator said:

This. It's underrated if anything. I think it's a solid episode.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.