Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

216,630 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
TheOriginalRedBaron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cstrickland05 said:

Obviously it was CGI, but Tarkin looked fine, Leia was a little off. Not worth everyone getting their panties in a twist over.
I agree with this. I thought Tarkin's CGI head was fine and unnoticeable whereas Leia's immediately stood out to me as being wrong.
wesag
AG
I saw that Tarkin was CG pretty quick and didn't really care. Out of all the things wrong with Star Wars movies, this wasn't one of them. It was fine.
TheDraw
AG
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Still, I would have MUCH rather them just cast someone who looks enough like him and avoided the CGI altogether. The distraction of an actor that only halfway looks like him would have been far less than the distraction of the cartoon I was watching.

And for those who couldn't tell the difference, or had no idea, I truly worry about your observational abilities.
I just don't understand why it's that big of a deal where you would much rather have them use a stand in. Yes it was immediately noticeable and I obviously knew it was cgi, but it wasn't that bad to the point where it was a distraction.
RIP Princess
Know Your Enemy
AG
#1 said:

RIP Princess
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
AgPediRPh
AG
Saw the film last night. The final scene with Carrie Fisher gave me chills knowing she was in ICU.

RIP
wangus12
AG
RIP Leia
oragator
I have a friend already upset about CF who is going to see this in about an hour. She is going to be a mess at the end. But i cant spoil that scene for her
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So I finally got back to the theater for a second viewing of Rogue One this morning. I went for lunch immediately afterward, sat down with a Whataburger and started looking at Facebook and the first thing I see is Princess Leia died. Crap. RIP Carrie Fisher.

As for the movie itself, it was far better on my second viewing. I picked up several things that I had previously missed. Now, seeing the probe droid briefly on the Jedha scenes did not magically make the movie better, but it was another one of those "that's cool" moments. I remain impressed with the CGI Tarkin. CGI Leia - I still think her face looked plastic and not at all real, but it didn't come off as badly as with my first impression.
4stringAg
AG
I enjoyed the movie a lot. One of the better Star Wars movies IMO.

Loved that Vader scene at the end. Maybe one of the best scenes in the Star Wars series particularly the way he came out of the darkness with the saber lighting up, etc.

Not a Star Wars purist by any stretch so don't go into these movies analyzing all the details.

So what are the plans for other "spinoffs" from the main Saga?

I would like to see one that fills in the gap on Vader, the killing of remaining Jedi, his relationship with Palpatine, the castle on Mustafar, etc. The gap between RotS and R1/ANH.
AgPediRPh
AG
oragator said:

I have a friend already upset about CF who is going to see this in about an hour. She is going to be a mess at the end. But i cant spoil that scene for her
that is going to be surreal
Know Your Enemy
AG
Leia's face in Episode 7 looked plastic and not real too.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

A young Han Solo film is already casting. The third hasn't been title. Lots of people want Obi Wan
4stringAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

A young Han Solo film is already casting. The third hasn't been title. Lots of people want Obi Wan
Kind of wonder what the story would be here? Didn't he just spend most of his time after RotS and ANH being a hermit in the jundland wastes on Tatooine or is there more that I'm missing?
nikator
AG
oragator said:

Deleted scene. More apropos now.

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/813490774897782784/video/1
This scene and how Poe gets off Jakku are described in the novelization
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
wangus12
AG
Thats the point. There is some non-canon stuff, but otherwise, 19 years to build adventures for him. Refer to our Texags thread about a movie we want to do
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

In 2D it looked fine especially to those with no idea - if viewers hd no idea he was dead or a previously seen character they didn't even question it for Tarkin. I think they clearly knew for Leia and so they just assumed it was CGI.

I had no idea that there was going to be a CGI Tarkin, and it jumped off the screen at me. I knew immediately and it was obvious throughout. A few short scenes of him standing in the shadows looked okay, but any straight on view or scene with him talking was like watching video game footage. Same for my wife, who definitely had NO idea ahead of time, on both our viewings together, both in 2D.
well to each his own.....

my wife and daughter had no idea it was a CGI until I mentioned it after...even Leia they thought was a standin real person - they did not notice in the least.

so apparently it's not that obvious to everyone.

Farmer1906
AG
A group I went with didn't realize it was fake. It was IMAX 3D.
nikator
AG
My brother did not realize it was fake..he said "of course he looked older"...did not know that Cushing died 20 years ago
PatriotAg02
AG
MemAg92 said:

wangus12 said:

Quote:

Kind of wonder what the story would be here? Didn't he just spend most of his time after RotS and ANH being a hermit in the jundland wastes on Tatooine or is there more that I'm missing?

There's more that you're missing. We just don't know what it is yet.
The Collective
AG
Better on a second viewing for me. Enjoyed characters and music more the second go round.
H6RBW
AG
Watched it again today, this time in 2D, and found the CGI for Tarkin to be much better and still thought Leia looked real.

I also enjoyed the movie more overall on second viewing. Understanding the relationships between Jyn, Galen, Saw and Cassian from the beginning helped with the planet-jumpimg first 25-30 minutes.

Also, whoever it was that was acting, or however much of it was CGI (or both)......THAT was the Darth Vader we should have had in Episode III, the Darth Vader Hayden Christensen could only dream of being.
oragator
H6RBW said:

Watched it again today, this time in 2D, and found the CGI for Tarkin to be much better and still thought Leia looked real.

I also enjoyed the movie more overall on second viewing. Understanding the relationships between Jyn, Galen, Saw and Cassian from the beginning helped with the planet-jumpimg first 25-30 minutes.

Also, whoever it was that was acting, or however much of it was CGI (or both)......THAT was the Darth Vader we should have had in Episode III, the Darth Vader Hayden Christensen could only dream of being.
Hayden Christensen is a blight on film history and should never be spoken of again.
AliasMan02
AG
Hot sports opinion: I think it would have been interesting if they put Hayden in the Bacta and the suit. Proving they can do things better than Lucas is a worthy goal for Disney, and using HC successfully would have been a good step if they could manage it.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Still, I would have MUCH rather them just cast someone who looks enough like him and avoided the CGI altogether. The distraction of an actor that only halfway looks like him would have been far less than the distraction of the cartoon I was watching.

And for those who couldn't tell the difference, or had no idea, I truly worry about your observational abilities.
Its honestly just a case of some people can easily look past issues like that, because they are ultimately not a big deal in the movie. Others find it impossible to overlook a small detail like that. Neither side is more right, it's just how it is.

I noticed it right away, but was able to just ignore it easily but I could see how it would bother others like you. I do think it's a very slippery slope to start using cgi actors for somewhat critical roles in live action movies. I don't think they mix well, and the last 5 pages of this thread are a great reason why.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Hot sports opinion: I think it would have been interesting if they put Hayden in the Bacta and the suit. Proving they can do things better than Lucas is a worthy goal for Disney, and using HC successfully would have been a good step if they could manage it.
Dude can't act, he would **** that scene up somehow.
shaynew1
AG
Is there any need to see Vader unmasked again ever? Bring on the murderous one off pls.
AliasMan02
AG
Will we ever see Vader again at all?
shaynew1
AG
I dunno. But it would make me happy to see him wreck faces for 1hr and 57min. They could charge me anything.
Ganondorf
AG
Quote:

Mr. Knoll said he and his colleagues were aware of the "slippery slope argument," that their simulated Cushing was opening the door to more and more movies using digital reproductions of dead actors.

"I don't imagine that happening," Mr. Knoll said. "This was done for very solid and defendable story reasons. This is a character that is very important to telling this kind of story."

He added: "It is extremely labor-intensive and expensive to do. I don't imagine anybody engaging in this kind of thing in a casual manner."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

Only his face was CGI. The rest of him was a real, live actor...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html

I know this sounds crazy and knowitallish, but I question that. I have no doubt that in most cases that was true, like when standing in a crowd of people, but in several scenes in close ups his rank looks like it's an iron-on decal on his shirt, indistinct and one solid piece with the material. The effect is the "too smooth" effect of CGI. Unless his pin-on rank was different for some reason, it was CG.
This is more than likely you overanalyzing, though it's possible they used a full digital Tarkin in a handful of shots and just didn't go into that much detail in the article. The pin also might've been a detail that was added in post, but that's pretty much an invisible effect these days.

It's funny what the camera actually sees sometimes.
Yoda
AG
PatAg said:

AliasMan02 said:

Dude can't act, he would **** that scene up somehow.

He was not good in the prequels, but not sure it was all his fault. Ever seen Shattered Glass?
redline248
AG
No, but I saw Jumper
coupland boy
AG
If an X-wing can blast an imperial walker why did they sacrifice so many pilots in those T-47 airspeeders in the battle of Hoth?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.