Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

217,271 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

What was distracting about Vader's neck?

I'm not sure if it's what they're talking about, but the neck piece of Vader's armor flares out more than previous movies. That's all that I noticed.
AliasMan02
AG
It's the same as it was in ANH, which was a little different than other iterations.
cisgenderedAggie
There was no chain.
dreyOO
Saw it last night in 3d. Only tickets available. I've seen all the other movies whereas my wife has only seen the prequel crap, TFA, and ANH.

We both really enjoyed it. I loved the references, the dark characters like Cassian shooting someone in the back, and the reality their mission leave most of them dead. Badass.

Btw, since the 3d was dark, and I avoided all trailers and buildup, I had no idea that Tarkin or Leia were CGI. I mean, I guessed it, but it wasn't obvious to me or my wife. I think most of the harsh criticism are from overbearing critics or fanboys with unrealistic expectations. Because, I literally thought, "wtf, that guy is still alive? Was he like a 45 year old in the original and a damn spy 85yr old in this one?" Re: tarkin

I knew carrie fisher didn't look like thay anymore, but we were literally debating if they used lookalikes with just a little cgi vs straight cgi. I'd say that was pretty impressive.

For the record, the wife enjoyed this as much as TFA even though she didn't understand all the references. Which is to say she's ready to watch the original trilogy with me again.
wesag
AG
The 3D darkness killed me.
wesag
AG
oragator said:

Well, it's now done 126mm domestic since Friday (including today), coming up on 325mm domestic and 600mm ww.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=starwars2016.htm

How do you interpret that? Let's see how it does in 6 weeks.
KidDoc
AG
I rewatched TFA today and I think R1 had better battles and less interesting characters. Overall I would rate them both around 8/10. The re-tread of ANH storyline for TFA is painful. The complete ignoring of astrophysics bothers me too in TFA but that is common in the Star Wars universe.. but eating a whole sun? really?

Still very enjoyable movies though. It is great to see some good entertainment in the Star Wars universe after a 30 year drought.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TelcoAg
AG
Pretty deep into this thread so I doubt I can add anything. I didn't set any high expectations so I loved most everything except for the weak plot to converge the crew / Saw Gerrera everything. Kinda wish Chirrut was the protector character when she was a child so that his involvement and dedication make more sense, then make the plot line revolve around Gaelan Erso setting the wheels in motion for the plans to be stolen - for example: get the rebels to rescue his daughter who was put in a bad spot by her attempts to save Chirrut, thus she refuses to go anywhere without him and Baze, and instead of setting up the weird family get together on Eadu, have her Jyn and Gaelan's meeting occur on Scarif where they end up as the pair hugging on the beach.

Then again, maybe not feeling a deep emotional connection to the characters was a good thing since I left the theatre smiling about the lead in to IV instead of feeling distraught over the glorious dead.

9/10 movie. Tied with New Hope in the rankings list.
Farmer1906
AG
KidDoc said:

I rewatched TFA today and I think R1 had better battles and less interesting characters. Overall I would rate them both around 8/10. The re-tread of ANH storyline for TFA is painful. The complete ignoring of astrophysics bothers me too in TFA but that is common in the Star Wars universe.. but eating a whole sun? really?

Still very enjoyable movies though. It is great to see some good entertainment in the Star Wars universe after a 30 year drought.
I think this is one of the best way to describe it.
thach
AG
Excepting Episode III, I saw all (including Rogue 1) in the theater for their opening run. For ROTS, I guess I had a two year old and never made it to the theater...
oragator
Deleted scene. More apropos now.

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/813490774897782784/video/1
redline248
AG
I can't remember if this was touched on before, but your point about not caring for the characters is, I think, a good one. It's possible they weren't given more depth on purpose bc audiences might have hated the movie if they cared about them and they all died.
AliasMan02
AG
oragator said:

Deleted scene. More apropos now.

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/813490774897782784/video/1

That's a familiar character for those who read Bloodline, btw.
redline248
AG
She's also a familiar character for those that have seen TFA
redline248
AG
...and I don't mean Leia
AliasMan02
AG
I mean... We see her die but never learn her name or why she is there. So I guess you're technically correct. The best kind of correct.
redline248
Average Joe
AG
I noticed the same. I didn't even notice Tarkin as much as I noticed Vader's neck piece.
TelcoAg
AG
redline248 said:

I can't remember if this was touched on before, but your point about not caring for the characters is, I think, a good one. It's possible they weren't given more depth on purpose bc audiences might have hated the movie if they cared about them and they all died.

I doubt it was purposeful honestly. I just think the plot was a bit messy, and this was a convenient side effect. It works because it allows you to focus on the real ending - the new hope lead in - as if you were just watching Porkins die.

I also think they couldn't figure out a way for Jyn to give a goodbye, nor how to give Cassian a heroic death, which is why you get a "oh hey I'm still alive" heroic return from the dead by Cassian. I don't really like the embrace scene on the beach, but it is what it is. I just really think Jyn's story should've ended with her father at her side. It would've been somewhat fitting for Gaelan to end apologizing to Jyn for failing (since his last words to her on Lah'mu were that all his actions were done to protect her), for them to both acknowledge that their fate was always to die at the hands of the empire, and for the Erso family legacy to be more memorable as it ties to the Death Star.

Too late now though
H6RBW
AG
I saw Rogue One yesterday afternoon, and have been working my way through this thread since then.

I'm really curious about the different reactions to the CGI Tarkin and Leia. I saw the movie in Imax 3D and found Tarkin to be distracting. Not that bad overall, but in one scene, where he turns quickly, I felt like I was watching a cut scene in StarCraft: Brood War. Leia, on the other hand, I thought was great. I plan to see it again this week, this time in 2D, and based on this thread am expecting to find Tarkin better and Leia worse.

I'm not sure I see the need to compare and rank Rogue One against The Force Awakens, but I think KidDoc's statement gets it right. I liked both.

TelcoAg
AG
From what I've seen in the thread - most like Leia, some people hated Tarkin, most people that didn't really know anything going in thought the CGI was fine / didn't notice. More complaints fro 3D than 2D viewers also seems to be the norm.
oragator
TelcoAg said:

From what I've seen in the thread - most like Leia, some people hated Tarkin, most people that didn't really know anything going in thought the CGI was fine / didn't notice. More complaints fro 3D than 2D viewers also seems to be the norm.
Leia looked CGI to me in 3D but given its length and purpose it didn't bother me at all.
Tarkin i couldn't figure out what they had done. It looked like him but not exactly, and given the totally different voice i assumed it was an actor. I looked it up after the movie.
redline248
AG
When I was watching, the beach scene reminded me of Westworld
YouBet
AG
I guess I can understand folks not realizing Tarkin and Leia were CGI if watching in 3D with those dark glasses but not if you watched it in 2D. They are clearly CGI. Don't see how anyone was fooled by that. It didn't bother me at all that they were; I just wonder about some of yalls eyesight!
wesag
AG
Tarkin and Leia didn't bother me at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$318M domestic / $555M worldwide
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YouBet said:

I guess I can understand folks not realizing Tarkin and Leia were CGI if watching in 3D with those dark glasses but not if you watched it in 2D. They are clearly CGI. Don't see how anyone was fooled by that. It didn't bother me at all that they were; I just wonder about some of yalls eyesight!

It's been quite the opposite.More noticeable in 3D. The CGI effects didn't translate to 3D as well. It wasn't the glasses making it darker, it was the 3D effect making it less realistic.

In 2D it looked fine especially to those with no idea - if viewers hd no idea he was dead or a previously seen character they didn't even question it for Tarkin. I think they clearly knew for Leia and so they just assumed it was CGI.

I knew he was dead but did not immediately assume CGI - I kept looking at him trying to figure out if it was an actor that just looked so much like him. Only after did I find out. Leia I could telll right away was CGI but I assued for such a short shot they would do that..
Belton Ag
AG
I'm not a big 3D guy so I saw it in 2D opening night, but based on this thread alone, I avoided seeing it in 3D on my second viewing and will not see it in 3D at all.

I saw TFA in IMAX 3D once and thought it was well done. I'm kind of surprised they didn't make this movie to be more conducive to 3D viewing.
AliasMan02
AG
What's really confusing about Tarkin is they did his whole body as CGI instead of using a double and altering/masking his face. That just seems so unnecessary. CGI for the sake of CGI.
AliasMan02
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

In 2D it looked fine especially to those with no idea - if viewers hd no idea he was dead or a previously seen character they didn't even question it for Tarkin. I think they clearly knew for Leia and so they just assumed it was CGI.

I had no idea that there was going to be a CGI Tarkin, and it jumped off the screen at me. I knew immediately and it was obvious throughout. A few short scenes of him standing in the shadows looked okay, but any straight on view or scene with him talking was like watching video game footage. Same for my wife, who definitely had NO idea ahead of time, on both our viewings together, both in 2D.
TCTTS
AG
Only his face was CGI. The rest of him was a real, live actor...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html
TCTTS
AG
Still, I would have MUCH rather them just cast someone who looks enough like him and avoided the CGI altogether. The distraction of an actor that only halfway looks like him would have been far less than the distraction of the cartoon I was watching.

And for those who couldn't tell the difference, or had no idea, I truly worry about your observational abilities.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Only his face was CGI. The rest of him was a real, live actor...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html

I know this sounds crazy and knowitallish, but I question that. I have no doubt that in most cases that was true, like when standing in a crowd of people, but in several scenes in close ups his rank looks like it's an iron-on decal on his shirt, indistinct and one solid piece with the material. The effect is the "too smooth" effect of CGI. Unless his pin-on rank was different for some reason, it was CG.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Still, I would have MUCH rather them just cast someone who looks enough like him and avoided the CGI altogether. The distraction of an actor that only halfway looks like him would have been far less than the distraction of the cartoon I was watching.

And for those who couldn't tell the difference, or had no idea, I truly worry about your observational abilities.

I noticed because I knew about it. I just think most people just went to enjoy it and weren't looking at every fine detail.
TXAG 05
AG
Obviously it was CGI, but Tarkin looked fine, Leia was a little off. Not worth everyone getting their panties in a twist over.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.