Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,793 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Slept on it a bit and have read some of these discussions regarding CGI characters.

I was genuinely surprised that Tarkin was a CGI. I thought he looked really good as an actor who has been dead for quite a number of years (he was already pretty old when he made ANH). Per IMDB, there was an actor cast for both Tarkin and Leia, but I guess that was stand-in for the CGI effects to be mapped over. Now Leia, this is a different story. Someone above mentioned characters out of the Tin Tin movie; I agree wholeheartedly. She was so clearly an effect the moment she turns around. She was badly done.

When they threw in the scene with R2-D2 and C-3P0, I must admit to being a bit surprised and was wondering why they were on Yavin 4. Then I recalled, duh, that they are aboard the Tantive IV at the opening of Episode IV. Bail Organa was shown as being on Yavin 4 so ok, the droids would be there as well. Still felt a bit distracting though.

I had no issues with the quick throw-away scene in the market when Jyn runs into the tough guys who later roughed up Luke in the cantina. I also loved the throw-in scenes with Gold Leader and Red Leader.

Darth Vader - I was so happy to see his appearances in this movie. Someone said earlier that he was not a guy who would be working in puns. "I find your lack of faith disturbing" and "Apology accepted Captain Needa" do come to mind, so his line while Force choking Krennic was in that vein. A buddy of mine and I also noticed the older sound of James Earl Jones' voice, but I didn't find that to be terribly problematic. Then there is the entire final sequence involving Vader, from the appearance of his Star Destroyer disrupting the Alliance fleet's jump to hyperspace to him appearing aboard the ship and using his lightsabre. The entire scene was among the best ever in any Star Wars movie

As for the characters, Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor were a couple of really great characters. The robot was the show stealing character. He had the best lines. The other characters in their supporting roles were also good but I am hard-pressed to discern any from the others, except the blind guy who's name I do not know.

The Empire Strikes Back remains the best Star Wars movie. I have typically ranked A New Hope second, and I think that will remain the case, with Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens following. Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace finish out the list.
titanmaster_race
Jim01 said:

I thought I heard the Wilheim scream on the platform when Jyn pulled herself up and grabbed the storm trooper and pulled him off. Seemed like a very short scream though.

I don't think it was, because I remember myself thinking "they missed a perfect opportunity for the willheim scream"
titanmaster_race
Pretty incredible that the Empire could fit a 1970s CAD model of the Death Star on a floppy disk.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Jim01 said:

I thought I heard the Wilheim scream on the platform when Jyn pulled herself up and grabbed the storm trooper and pulled him off. Seemed like a very short scream though.

I don't think it was, because I remember myself thinking "they missed a perfect opportunity for the willheim scream"

Hahaha I did too.
TajMaballer
AG
Absolutely loved it! This is the type of movie that makes me want to buy a new tv and surround sound so I can rewatch this movie over and over again. So many beautiful shots. Character wise I was invested in our main characters by the end of the first act. The ending was inevitable, but still heartbreaking.

I have one minor nitpick that might get cleared up with additional watches. When Cassian was about to take out Galen, why didn't he go after Krennic? Did he only know Galen and not Krennic? Kinda weird that they would go after the architect and not the Lieutenant Commander.

Side note: Did anyone else have the thought that this is the movie Suicide Squad should have been?
FancyKetchup14
AG
That movie was f***ing awesome. That scene at the end with Vader....I felt like I needed a smoke afterwards.
jokershady
AG
AliasMan02 said:

SeaAg15 said:

Just finished seeing it tonight. Loved it so much! It felt like a Star Wars movie through and through.

I saw it in 2D and thought Tarkin was an actor that looked really similar at first. Leia looked good to me too! I didn't know they were CGI and didn't know they were even going to be in it going in. Loved the Vader scene at the end. Overall an excellent addition to the universe!

I'm shocked that anyone could see anything but terrible for Tarkin and Leia, based on my 2D experience. Really starting to wonder if the issue is individual projectors and how they are set up. Maybe it's not bad in some projectors or formats.

Ftr, I had heard nothing about his character or the CGI going in. I've been dark on Star Wars for weeks.
good point. I saw it at the santikos palladium off of 99 near Houston and I thought they both looked great.

AgMarauder04
AG
When?
WALTON LOADS!
AG
I saw it at Santikos as well and thought the CGI looked fine
EMY92
AG
The General Syndulla was likely Hera's father, Cham Syndulla. He was a general in the resistance and was on Yavin at some point.
Duncan Idaho
Another thought. I liked the animatronic moncalimari better than the CGI version
AliasMan02
AG
Had tickets there but had to eat them. The theater I was in was decidedly not as well lit and we were off to the side. I'll take it in at the Sankitos soon and hopefully that's the difference.
titanmaster_race
Me too. Palladium is awesome.
Jim01
AG
The Droid was awesome. Loved the scene where Jyn shoots a Droid that looks just like him and then he steps around the corner. "Did you know that wasn't me??"
jokershady
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

When?
friday at 2:30 pm
The Collective
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Forrest Whittaker and his character were awful. The only really low point of the movie, IMO.

I have never cheered so hard for death by asthma attack.
jabberwalkie09
AG
EMY92 said:

The General Syndulla was likely Hera's father, Cham Syndulla. He was a general in the resistance and was on Yavin at some point.
The Ghost is directly seen at Yavin IV, which is Hera's ship. The same ship type (VCX-100) was seen in the battle about Scarif in Rogue One, though I did notice it didn't have the Phantom II (the current shuttle that the ship has in the show right now) docked.

Sure it could be Cham Syndulla, but it could also just as easily be Hera there with the Ghost's appearance. Also, remember that Rebels is still about 2 years BBY.
AgMarauder04
AG
jokershady said:

AgMarauder04 said:

When?
friday at 2:30 pm

Just asking, a lot of us it seems saw it there, haha.
heddleston
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Pretty incredible that the Empire could fit a 1970s CAD model of the Death Star on a floppy disk.
It looked bigger than a floppy, but seriously how big would a file like that be? Terabytes? Petabytes?
DannyDuberstein
AG
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

...when removable storage devices were AWESOME but disaster backup and recovery procedures were not.
Pendragon12
AG
WALTON LOADS! said:

I saw it at Santikos as well and thought the CGI looked fine

Ditto. Like I posted earlier, had no idea Tarkin was CGI, and I probably only noticed Leia because I just watched Force Awakens with older Leia.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The comics readers may find this clarification helpful or interesting, but I'm putting it here because this seems like the most relevant place to put it.

Also, Pablo said he is going to keep from tweeting abut Rogue One until January.
titanmaster_race
DannyDuberstein said:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

...when removable storage devices were AWESOME but disaster backup and recovery procedures were not.

And no digital copies.
RAT90
AG
Well, there are no clouds in space.
SF2004
AG
Just an absolutely amazing experience.

Great movie and lots of throw backs. Lots of verbal references, so many that I can't wait to re-watch to get more. Seeing Yavin 4 again was very nostalgic to me, it was like it didn't change. Many many other things that people have already mentioned.

The last battle was incredible; however the last minutes of the film with Vader were down right some of the best in star wars!

I had ZERO idea that this was IMMEDIATELY before A New Hope, I thought it was a year, maybe months.

I am assuming that Vader runs down the Tantive IV a few minutes later and captures Leia? I am also assuming this little leads directly into the opening of ANH (one of the greatest openings in cinematic history).

On another note it has already started to be cool to hate TFA, how long until people turn on this film? It is already starting with the complaining about the CGI (which I thought was awesome).
Justin2010
AG
Just got out of my second showing.

The score really bothered me the first time, and I was curious if it still would. Yep. It sounded sub par. Like the hishe vids on YouTube.

CGI tarkin and Leia didn't bother me either time. I thought they both looked amazing. Although honestly Leia was off slightly more than tarkin I thought.

Incredible movie. The second half was the best star wars has ever been. The last ten minutes were among the best ten minutes of any movie I've ever seen.

My only real other complaint was that the editing could have been tighter. Mind reading tentacle monster should have been cut, specifically.
Joan Wilder
AG
Why was the imperial fighter pilot (Naz...not sure his character's name) wearing goggles on his head all movie?
AliasMan02
AG
To add to the things I loved about the movie:

- alien designs were great. Better than Ep 7. Lots of aliens in the foreground and involved, and tons of variety outside a cantina.
- Jeddah felt very real and populated. Best alien location since Mos Eisley.
agracer
AG
The problem with the tarkin cgi was not that it was bad but moreso that it was unnecessary.

When the Dumbledore from the first two Harry Potter movirs passed away, they found a replacement who looked similar and rolled with it. Just find an actor who looks like Cushing, use some makup and move on. No one would blink about it.
AliasMan02
AG
agracer said:

The problem with the tarkin cgi was not that it was bad but moreso that it was unnecessary.

When the Dumbledore from the first two Harry Potter movirs passed away, they found a replacement who looked similar and rolled with it. Just find an actor who looks like Cushing, use some makup and move on. No one would blink about it.

I agree. CG should always be a "have to" not a "want to" especially when characters/people are involved.
RAT90
AG
There were a few things I missed in the first showing and saw in the second.

Most impactful was Vader's attack. As Vader walks under the dude he force lifted onto the ceiling, he slices him with his saber.
MBAR
AG
You guys are watching a movie with space battles and **** that makes no sense, but you can't suspend disbelief on a CGI character.

I mean, ok, but that just seems weird to me.
3rdGen2015
AG
MBAR said:

You guys are watching a movie with space battles and **** that makes no sense, but you can't suspend disbelief on a CGI character.

I mean, ok, but that just seems weird to me.

It isn't about suspension of disbelief, it's about the uncanny valley nature of the CGI being distracting. I honestly couldn't tell you what happened in any scenes with him because I was trying to figure out what exactly looked off with him.
titanmaster_race
Clarke95 said:

Why was the imperial fighter pilot (Naz...not sure his character's name) wearing goggles on his head all movie?

Rule #1 of Imperial Cargo Pilot School: always be ready to perform high school biology experiments.
jokershady
AG
RAT90 said:

There were a few things I missed in the first showing and saw in the second.

Most impactful was Vader's attack. As Vader walks under the dude he force lifted onto the ceiling, he slices him with his saber.
oh ***** That's awesome!

I really want to see this a second time!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.