Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,791 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For all we know, the x wing pilot who killed him recognized him and notified command that the mission was accomplished. They may have had a second round of fighters waiting in the wings.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You have no clue what the rest of that base was like OR what the makeup was of the bombers. Who's to say they didn't have a small contingency of ground troops with them, that didn't need to get out because of the targets presenting themselves?

You are trying too hard to split hairs.
ja86
AG
Everyone bombs crap to stop production, it is an universal tactic since they realized they could drop bombs from planes.

Chipotlemonger
AG
ja86 said:

Everyone bombs crap to stop production, it is an universal tactic since they realized they could drop bombs from planes.

Not in Zombie Jon Snow's world.
redline248
AG
Just bc we only see some of the destruction doesn't mean it isn't more widespread at that base.
Ag Since 83
AG
We saw the battle unfold a certain way because Eros was outside (and Rogue One was on the ground as well). There's no telling how the battle would have gone (and how long it would have lasted) had that not been the case.

And as pointed out above, it was a mission of desperation so not all that well planned anyway.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
ja86 said:

Stop production of what? The mission was to kill one man.
The Collective
AG
Meh.
MandoArms
Zombie Jon Snow said:

ja86 said:

Stop production of what? The mission was to kill one man.

General Draven is convinced that this one man is vital to the Empire's special weapons program. His conversation with Cassian right before he leaves spells it all out. Draven believes Galen is still producing new weapons. At this point the Rebels have no idea what the Death Star is or that it is operational. So yes they are trying to stop production of a mega weapon that they didn't realize was already complete.
Urban Ag
AG
Well this was a timely thread bump as I just finished my home viewing of R1 last night.

I stand by my initial thoughts, second best SW film to ESB. Simply amazing movie.

After viewing R1 three times now, my only real complaint is Chirrut. I like the character and I think Donnie Yen did a great job in the role, but they needed to tone it down as a blind man with a stick kicked way too much Stormtrooper ass which, IMO, kind of cheapened the battle scenes on both Jedha and Scarif (which by the way I rank both battle scenes at the top with Hoth).

Other than that, I can see R1 as one of those films that if I happen notice it's on Spike or TNT on a Sunday afternoon, 2, 5, 10, 20 years from now, well, couch here I come.

Anyway, R1 was so good that I am and remain more excited about the "Star Wars stories" than I am about Episodes 8 and 9. Which is me just being honest with myself. I always loved the Star Wars "world" much more than the Skywalker/Jedi/Sith story. Bring on Han Solo and Kenobi.

Red Five
AG
I'm not really sure what to do with Rogue One. The last hour is fantastic. I like a lot of individual elements of the first hour, but as a whole it doesn't really stand out as special. It feels like it's a really great movie, but if I stop to think about it I have a hard time finding reasons for why that is.

Ultimately, I would rather watch Force Awakens. I'd still put Rogue One ahead of everything except eps 4, 5, and 7. I really like Rogue One, but I'm not sure I love it, and I love 4, 5, and 7.
The Collective
AG
Let's rank the films...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea it didn't take long to get to that point this time
Al Bula
AG
Finally saw this. It took me two tries to watch it.

The first half up until Galen dies was a mish mash of too many characters and too much world-hopping for me.

Reading up on Saw Guerrera, I see that I should have been watching the Star Wars cartoons to understand who he was. Yeah, no thanks. Even The Phantom Menace thinks the Clone Wars cartoons are childish. Looks like Disney/Lucasfilm probably confused lots of fans because they insisted on tying together a cartoon and movie in order to reinforce their canonicity.

I don't care to read through 47 pages of posts to know what the general feeling of Tarkin and Leah CGI was, but that didn't really bother me at all. I'd rather have a cohesive, focused story than 100% believable CGI.

To me, Krennic was the most interesting character in the whole movie. I felt like he had way more depth than any of the other roles.

On the up side, the entire Scarif half of the movie was superb. I find the idea that the Empire keeps a data center on a paradise archipelago planet very fascinating and perfectly juxtaposed. The AT-ATs plodding through the lagoons was great.

I also applaud this movie for giving us a non-Skywalker perspective of the Rebellion. It was refreshing to see how there are factions vying for supremacy even on the "good guy" side of the Alliance.

In short, probably a good airplane movie or rental. Not sorry I missed this in the theater.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
RPM said:

Not sorry I missed this in the theater.
The Rebel fleet taking on the Imperial fleet over Scariff was probably the best large-scale battle sequence of any Star Wars film. It was exhilarating and had me on the edge of my seat.

Seeing that on the big screen was worth the price of admission by itself.
AliasMan02
AG
RPM said:

Reading up on Saw Guerrera, I see that I should have been watching the Star Wars cartoons to understand who he was. Yeah, no thanks. Even The Phantom Menace thinks the Clone Wars cartoons are childish. Looks like Disney/Lucasfilm probably confused lots of fans because they insisted on tying together a cartoon and movie in order to reinforce their canonicity.

Knowledge of Saw from TCW and/or Rebels does not inform the character in RO in any way. They made zero references to either show in the movie other than the fact that he exists. The character in the movie actually existed before they decided to make him an aged and battle weary Saw.
Al Bula
AG
Cool. I'll just have to disagree.

He was propped up to be a force to be reckoned with or something and it really fell flat. The character was nothing more than a plot device to advance the story.

Seems incredibly lazy to use a fantastic actor like Forest Whitaker in less than five minutes of screen time. Instead of having the two samurais no one cared about, why not keep Forest in the picture longer and have him die in some bad ass battle scenes on Scarif?

Disney was probably more interested in filling a diversity quotient than producing a story with a tight plot.

The movie was decent and it introduced some interesting things into the Star Wars universe. The storytelling just wasn't there.
israeliag
AG
You say this...
Quote:

The character was nothing more than a plot device to advance the story.
But you had also said this...

Quote:

It was refreshing to see how there are factions vying for supremacy even on the "good guy" side of the Alliance.

I'll agree with you that they could have given him a more meaningful death, but as you point out, it was impressive to see a "bad-guys" rebel faction: a group who saw the end justifying their means.
fig96
AG
RPM said:

Actually, the Clone Wars series as a whole is far better than the prequels, but from the tone of your post I doubt you've given them a chance.

Also interesting to me that you found half the movie "superb" but wouldn't have bothered to watch it in theaters. Ah well, to each their own, feel free to leave us to enjoy this one.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
RPM said:

He was propped up to be a force to be reckoned with or something and it really fell flat. The character was nothing more than a plot device to advance the story.

Seems incredibly lazy to use a fantastic actor like Forest Whitaker in less than five minutes of screen time. Instead of having the two samurais no one cared about, why not keep Forest in the picture longer and have him die in some bad ass battle scenes on Scarif?

Disney was probably more interested in filling a diversity quotient than producing a story with a tight plot.

The movie was decent and it introduced some interesting things into the Star Wars universe. The storytelling just wasn't there.
Keep in mind that there was MASSIVE reshoots and rewriting done to this movie. There are pictures of Whitaker without the wild hair floating around the internet. Who really knows what his arc was before the reshoots?

Quote:

Instead of having the two samurais no one cared about,
Sorry you felt that way. Personally, I loved the characters of Baze and Chirrut. "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me" is such a damn cool thing to say.
Flashdiaz
AG
RPM said:

ummm, what race is missing here?

if anything, including Forest would have checked that box.

including Saw any more than he was would have taken away from the 'group' dynamic. He wouldn't have gone along with the rebels plan because it was already established he does his own thing and doesn't follow orders.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Watched RO again last week for the first time since I saw it in theaters.

It was even better than I remembered it. Some the the arguments and complaints on this thread were just dumbfounded, and the people starting them likely are the type that can't enjoy anything without a complaint.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
For some reason this just bumped on my watchlist, but there is no recent post...

Did the matrix just change something?
boogieman
AG
Your matrix is broken. 9 new posts today not including yours.

"Whoa"
The Collective
AG
There are multiple posts today...
redline248
AG
Same thing happened to me earlier, then it bumped again with new posts. Maybe staff deleted an old post.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Or maybe my cache picked it up from where I left off? Not sure, that was wierd. I looked and there was no "forward" button and the last post was 12/9/16
AliasMan02
AG
Had the same thing happen.
benMath08
AG
I get a random thread showing up in my watch list once every few months with "new" posts that are months old. This thread seems like it has legit posts though.
Hulla Baller
AG
I just finished watching the movie again. The last 45 minutes of the movie is just awesome.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Bump for my favorite Star Wars movie. This YouTube video just popped up in my feed and I thought it was pretty cool. "CLEVER Details You Only Notice if You Watch Rogue One and a New Hope Back to Back":

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This thread makes me sad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.