Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,811 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if all this movie does is introduce Peter Cushing and his work to a new generation of humans, then it will an absolute moral good
Cromagnum
AG
bthomas98 said:

Am I the only one that thought Vader's lackey who announced Krennic could be Snoke? I felt like the camera settled on him for a really long time for it just to be a servant.

I dont think so. Lots of folks speculate that Snoke is actually Palpatine's master Darth Plagueis whom he chopped with a lightsaber and didn't actually die.
bangobango
AG
The more I think about it, the more I think TFA was a far superior movie to Rogue one. I had a major issue with them basically redoing episode IV, but there is no doubt in my mind I'd much rather rewatch TFA than Rogue One if I were holding between the two.
Saul Goodman
AG
bangobango said:

The more I think about it, the more I think TFA was a far superior movie to Rogue one. I had a major issue with them basically redoing episode IV, but there is no doubt in my mind I'd much rather rewatch TFA than Rogue One if I were holding between the two.

As much as I liked R1, I think I'll probably rewatch TFA more. Visually, R1 was superior and it had Vader (my favorite Star Wars character), but I feel more engaged with TFA.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Count me in the camp that puts TFA > R1.
oragator
bangobango said:

GThe more I think about it, the more I think TFA was a far superior movie to Rogue one. I had a major issue with them basically redoing episode IV, but there is no doubt in my mind I'd much rather rewatch TFA than Rogue One if I were holding between the two.
Just saw R1, And i really disagree.
TFA was nothing more than a giant, remarkably unoriginal marketing checklist. Decent movie, but I tried to watch it again twice and both times couldn't believe how paint by numbers it was, especially in the context of a new hope.
Rogue One was ambitious, original by the standards of the star wars world, dark in some places, grand in scope, paid homage to the originals without plagiarizing them, and bridged the two trilogies as well as could have been done. Given the timeline it had to cover, i cant imagine how it could have been much better.
Jmo.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saul Goodman said:

bangobango said:

As much as I liked R1, I think I'll probably rewatch TFA more. Visually, R1 was superior and it had Vader (my favorite Star Wars character), but I feel more engaged with TFA.

I really like R1, but I haven't felt the need or really want to go see it again in theaters. I'm positive I'll buy it once it comes out though. Where as I went and saw TFA multiple times in theater. This might be due to the fact that we're more invested in the overall saga story than the standalone films?
redline248
AG
Cromagnum said:

bthomas98 said:

Am I the only one that thought Vader's lackey who announced Krennic could be Snoke? I felt like the camera settled on him for a really long time for it just to be a servant.

I dont think so. Lots of folks speculate that Snoke is actually Palpatine's master Darth Plagueis whom he chopped with a lightsaber and didn't actually die.

Lots of folks are really stupid if they believe this.

No offense.
Philip J Fry
AG
Maul came back from that flesh wound.
redline248
AG
Cartoon =/= movies
amercer
AG
I'd give this a fanboy rating of A++++. It's everything I wanted to see from Star Wars as a kid back in the eighties. As soon as they started approaching the lava planet i leaned over to my 9 year old and said "VADERS CASTLE!!!!!!!"

As a sci fi action film I'd give it an A. The team of misfits go steal some stuff for a good cause plot isn't new, but the action, effects, and battles were awesome.

As a Star Wars film I give it a B. In a way it's what everyone wanted, but Star Wars is a universe of luminous beings. This was all crude matter.

I really enjoyed it, but I've got no real drive go go see it again.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

just saw it....wow!!!!!....and i have read nothing from before it dropped....this is just my gut reactions......

love it really....and I'm not all caught up in some message (either side) that relates to today pro or con.....thats just people looking to relate it to what they are feeling - you see what you want to see.

SW was always about oppression and resistance and rebellion and hope, etc.

Ignoring that - as just a move in the SW universe - it rocked!!!!!!

And forgetting Vader and the whole tie-in to the beginning of Star Wars (what you might call Ep. IV) it would still be a really really good movie.....but that put it over the top...that was SOOOOO COOL!!!!! Vader was bad ass in that scene (you know what I mean) and how it tied right into the beginning of SW.

I honestly could have walked out and walked into another showing right away - haven't felt like that since 1977.

I'm one of those SW > ESB people (but barely because of originality primarily).

Loved Jyn...loved the whole rogue one crew....the backstory. very well done. I don't think I have one complaint actually.......hmmmm......final battle scene was bad ass.....best beach battle scene i can recall. Beautifully shot too.....and not the standard SW story line certainly.

a. everyone dies - aka real sacrifices
b. it wasn't just blow up another super weapon
c. it changed the meaning or depth/context of the entire first 2 movies
d. it was grittier, darker and more ominous - loved that

For me currently:

SW
ESB
RO
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
AOTC
PM

But Rogue One on repeated viewings could actually challenge for 2nd place....I don't know. Doesn't matter really. It was great Star Wars.

AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

RO is good, and I expect it will improve on multiple viewings. TFA, due to the albatross of the prequels, had flaws, but was still fantastic.

RO doesn't have the moments of Han's death, his "it's true" speech, Kylo's communing with Vader, or the revelation in the battle in the snow. Those emotional high points elevate TFA. Also, outside of maybe Tudyk, RO doesn't have individual performances to match Ford or Ridley or, imo, Boyega.
Madmarttigan
AG
RO lacks any emotional moments even when the last two go, but I think the story perfectly flows into episode 4 and has some really cool fights.
Satellite of Love
spanky said:

Crystal Blue Meth said:

A few minor nit picks would be cgi tarkin was awful. I enjoyed all the call backs to ANH, but I almost wished they were able to tie this movie to the TFA trilogy somehow. Have a character survive from this movie only to show up in the movie after TFA. Again, minor and I'm fine thy didn't do it, but I thought that would have been neat.
Leia?

Add R2D2 and C3P0 to the list as well.
oragator
Satellite of Love said:

spanky said:

Crystal Blue Meth said:

JA few minor nit picks would be cgi tarkin was awful. I enjoyed all the call backs to ANH, but I almost wished they were able to tie this movie to the TFA trilogy somehow. Have a character survive from this movie only to show up in the movie after TFA. Again, minor and I'm fine thy didn't do it, but I thought that would have been neat.
Leia?

Add R2D2 and C3P0 to the list as well.
The red leader (he was archived in), the woman who heads the rebellion, Tarkin, a couple of the criminals from moss isely, among others.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tv1113 said:

RO lacks any emotional moments even when the last two go, but I think the story perfectly flows into episode 4 and has some really cool fights.

I agree in some sense and yet I loved it.

I think it's partly that we knew how this fit into the larger context. And we also knew more or less that the major characters played no role beyond this. So we were maybe reluctant to buy into them or they were written that way. Or both.

But on the other point. I think this added context and realism and depth to the originals. In that way it succeeded really well. I'll never look at the originals the same way again knowing the sacrifices made to set that up. We've always had no context for that just kind of jumped into they had the plans and went to destroy the DS and enjoyed those characters. Plus as presented by Lucas it was more of a fun ride not so serious. You had the villain but hadn't seen him in action really or the empire in so much detail.
Gangnam Style
AG
bangobango said:

I really like both movies
Burnsey
AG
So why did the Empire blow up their own base? Especially when the fight on the ground was pretty much over and nobody having the means to get off the surface. The battle in space was not going to be a rebel victory either with Vader on the way. That just didn't make any sense to me except to give us an epic, overblown death for Jyn and the her guy, whose character was so poorly developed that I can't remember his name.
Satellite of Love
They were talking about characters that tie into the Force Awakens.

I thought it was great to finally see the Y-wing in action even if it was to drop pink turds on the shield generator. I kind of felt bad for Red 5. Would he be the modern day Porkins?

amercer
AG
I assumed that since the rebels now knew where the imperial archives were stored (including the Death Star plans) it was safest just to blow them up
Burnsey
AG
amercer said:

I assumed that since the rebels now knew where the imperial archives were stored (including the Death Star plans) it was safest just to blow them up

So we are left to guess? That doesn't work for me.
Ag Since 83
AG
It was also Tarkin taking out Krennic.

Plus the dish was broadcasting the plans if anyone else happened to be in the vicinity listening
oragator
Satellite of Love said:

They were talking about characters that tie into the Force Awakens.

I thought it was great to finally see the Y-wing in action even if it was to drop pink turds on the shield generator. I kind of felt bad for Red 5. Would he be the modern day Porkins?

Haha, fair enough.

Poor Porkins
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

It was also Tarkin taking out Krennic.

Plus the dish was broadcasting the plans if anyone else happened to be in the vicinity listening

Stopping the broadcast is the main reason, I think.
Saul Goodman
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

RO is good, and I expect it will improve on multiple viewings. TFA, due to the albatross of the prequels, had flaws, but was still fantastic.

RO doesn't have the moments of Han's death, his "it's true" speech, Kylo's communing with Vader, or the revelation in the battle in the snow. Those emotional high points elevate TFA. Also, outside of maybe Tudyk, RO doesn't have individual performances to match Ford or Ridley or, imo, Boyega.

This
Ag Since 83
AG
That was definitely a big part of it. Plus in general the whole operation had become filled with security leaks so they were taking out the expendable pieces.

But Tarkin was definitely eliminating his rival Krennic. When he finds out about Rebels on Scarif he says "I need to speak with Director Krennic" and upon being told that he's on Scarif, he says "prepare for hyperspace, inform Lord Vader." Plus you have Krennic looking up at the Death Star as it prepares to fire, knowing that Tarkin has come to take him out
snowdog90
Saul Goodman said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

This

This is just so wrong. Rogue One was better on all levels - story, characters, acting, flow, drama, just no comparison. Music has been the only gripe I might agree with, but that's minor, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the TFA score.
PatAg
AG
Don't see why one movie has to be good and the other sucked. Why can't you just like both movies? Or like one a little more than the other?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PatAg said:

Don't see why one movie has to be good and the other sucked. Why can't you just like both movies? Or like one a little more than the other?

Yep....for me there are now (no order implied)

2 awesome SW movies - 4 and 5
3 really good SW movies - RO, 7 and 6
1 average SW movie - 3
2 spare SW movies - 1 and 2

No need to nitpick the top 5 really.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think Tarkin equally wanted Krennic out of the way and the plans destroyed. He did not want to deal with a power struggle over the Death Star.

I will also agree that the music was off and could have elevated the epic feeling of the ending if done better. I think music plays a big part, at least in emotional moments, and can leave things feeling flat if not done right.

Also generally artists carry over some of the themes like in the case of Harry Potter but this composer used nothing familiar at all.
AliasMan02
AG
snowdog90 said:

Saul Goodman said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

This

This is just so wrong. Rogue One was better on all levels - story, characters, acting, flow, drama, just no comparison. Music has been the only gripe I might agree with, but that's minor, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the TFA score.

Which performances in RO would you rank above Ford and Ridley? I think I could include Boyega and Driver just below them and certainly at least on par with anyone in RO.

RO was well acted, I just didn't think it had any truly elite performances. Ford was heavily discussed as being snubbed for not getting an Oscar nomination for TFA.
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

snowdog90 said:

Saul Goodman said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

This

Which performances in RO would you rank above Ford and Ridley? I think I could include Boyega and Driver just below them and certainly at least on par with anyone in RO.

RO was well acted, I just didn't think it had any truly elite performances. Ford was heavily discussed as being snubbed for not getting an Oscar nomination for TFA.
I agree with you, but Luna did a damn good job. I'm not sure why people aren't more talking about it.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

It's amazing how far you miss the point. Idgaf how sabres work...until you make that knowledge plot crucial. You realize that what the empire did in creating the Death Star and hoarding all that Kyber crystal, they may have effectively extinguished sabre creation? or maybe not. Idk, but the point is, the ability for there to be more Jedi and Sith are directly impacted by the availability of this mineral. I think they did that on purpose. Especially when you consider the instability of Kylo Ren's sabre. They mentioned he made it himself and it looks like a knock off brand when next to Rey's (luke's) sabre. So my friend, when Ep. 8 drops, and Kylo Ren is searching for a Kyber Crystal to power his new sabre to defeat Rey, I hope you remember this convo.
I was on my phone all weekend so I didn't get a chance to hit this. Most Sith lightsabers used synthetic crystals that were a little bit more powerful than the natural ones typically used by the Jedi, but could also be very unstable if poorly made. I believe Kylo Ren used a natural crystal that had crack in it which led to its instability. The crystals had to be infused with the Force via meditation before being used in a lightsaber. Following Order 66, the Emperor had most of the known crystal caves destroyed or seized so there are many left that are known of. I'm sure there are other crystal caves. Luke's green lightsaber uses a synthetic crystal he created on Tatooine.

I do not expect them to go in the direction of Ren looking for a new crystal, but Snoke may provide him with a better, synthetic one for his saber.
Flashdiaz
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

It's amazing how far you miss the point. Idgaf how sabres work...until you make that knowledge plot crucial. You realize that what the empire did in creating the Death Star and hoarding all that Kyber crystal, they may have effectively extinguished sabre creation? or maybe not. Idk, but the point is, the ability for there to be more Jedi and Sith are directly impacted by the availability of this mineral. I think they did that on purpose. Especially when you consider the instability of Kylo Ren's sabre. They mentioned he made it himself and it looks like a knock off brand when next to Rey's (luke's) sabre. So my friend, when Ep. 8 drops, and Kylo Ren is searching for a Kyber Crystal to power his new sabre to defeat Rey, I hope you remember this convo.
I was on my phone all weekend so I didn't get a chance to hit this. Most Sith lightsabers used synthetic crystals that were a little bit more powerful than the natural ones typically used by the Jedi, but could also be very unstable if poorly made. I believe Kylo Ren used a natural crystal that had crack in it which led to its instability. The crystals had to be infused with the Force via meditation before being used in a lightsaber. Following Order 66, the Emperor had most of the known crystal caves destroyed or seized so there are many left that are known of. I'm sure there are other crystal caves. Luke's green lightsaber uses a synthetic crystal he created on Tatooine.

I do not expect them to go in the direction of Ren looking for a new crystal, but Snoke may provide him with a better, synthetic one for his saber.
meh, don't like the cubic zirconia kyber crystal idea. Hopefully this is never mentioned in any movies or cartoons.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.