Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,783 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
vwbug said:

If Vader is in in for as much as those review say - I'll be disappointed, he IS the empire.

The Empire is bigger than Vader though. Plus, he's only on-screen for what, 12 minutes in Episode IV, right? I think it will be ok if he isn't there much and only used when really needed.
wangus12
AG
Plus it is sounding like he does something pretty badass so I'm sure we will cope.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Tarkin is higher in rank than Vader is what I always assumed from IV. I.E why Leia said something about him holding Vaders leash. After Tarkin is killed Vader assumes a higher role. and the Emperor IS the Empire, Vader was his "hand" I would think Tarkin is even the one that orders Vader to find the plans.
Farmer1906
AG
Brennus said:

Tarkin is higher in rank than Vader is what I always assumed from IV. I.E why Leia said something about him holding Vaders leash. After Tarkin is killed Vader assumes a higher role. and the Emperor IS the Empire, Vader was his "hand" I would think Tarkin is even the one that orders Vader to find the plans.
Vader is outside of the Empire's rankings. He's not military. I think calling him the Emperor's hand is fair, but we all know he's the #2 sith to Sidious.
Duncan Idaho
Brennus said:

I think this was the case when star wars came out. But over time, I think the story shifted to vader being something like the Secretary of defense and having more of a peer/civilian oversight role of the fleet. And I am ok with that.

I like the orginal set up where vader was more of a special forces/Winston wolf/problem solver kind of guy that was completely outside the fleet. But I don't think the change ruined anything.

Now the jabba the hutt change always annoyed me. Since he is the only creature in the entire galaxy that is referred by his race. It was clear that hutt was a title and not a race.
MandoArms
I think the Tarkin novel does a good job of explaining Vader's roll in the Empire.

Judging by the amount of Vader in Rogue One Catalyst I am not shocked by the amount of screen time he will be given. It makes sense for the story.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I like the orginal set up where vader was more of a special forces/Winston wolf/problem solver kind of guy that was completely outside the fleet. But I don't think the change ruined anything.
That's how I always viewed him. He was "The Fixer" The Empire's military took care of most things. Vader just spent his time hunting Jedi, but anytime the Emperor wanted something personally handled, Vader went in.
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

No spoilers... a review by someone introduced to the Star Wars Universe at the Rogue One premiere.
http://www.jewishjournal.com/keepingthefaith/item/rogue_one_my_introduction_to_star_wars
hmmmm.....that kind of got me in the feels
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I haven't been reading this, but just wanted to say I saw that this is at 80% on RT so I'm getting pretty freaking excited.
Farmer1906
AG
Almost had a ticket to see it tonight. Guess I'll settle for tomorrow like everyone else.
The Collective
AG
Who is going tonight? What is your plan (time, theater, format, etc)?

Me - work until about 1, pickup kids from school, deliver kids to my mom (no rule 1), go drink / hangout with wife (no rule 1), head to theater. Cinemark XD (2D reserved), 7 pm, Fort Worth.
wangus12
AG
Work till 3:15. Go workout, head home. Will head to the theatre at around 6:15. Cinemark Legacy XD (2D) @ 7pm. Have reserved seating so no lines for this guy. I have an extra ticket since my gf had a coach thing come up for her club thing. Not sure what to do with it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
7 pm (ET) tonight!

XPLUS 3D with Dolby Atmos sound, reserved seating, and leather recliners.

(XPLUS = the premium format for Showcase, comparable to RPX, XD, etc.)
wangus12
AG
And yet again Brian will see it before all of us. Stupid time zones
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Does this review snippet excite you, BES?

Quote:

It offers more details of interoffice politics among the squabbling factions of both the Empire and the Rebel Alliance than probably anyone but a mid-level manager cares for. Yet you generally feel you're in good hands.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest. Yes. Yes it does.
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

And yet again Brian will see it before all of us. Stupid time zones

He'll be watching the end credits like...

While the rest of us are all like...

Urban Ag
AG
7:00 PM CST Georgetown, TX

Saxsoon
AG
I am Pacific coast so bit your quitching

Will be seeing at 7:30 tonight!
lunchbox
My local theater flipped theaters to TFA at the last minute last year. I walked up on Thurs night expecting to have to buy tix for Sat or Sun and was surprised to be offered tix for that night....it wasn't on the website or the board.

I checked with them and they are doing the same thing tonight so I will just walk up to the box office at 6:30 and buy a ticket for 7.
MandoArms
At Flying Saucer having a cold one and grabbing some food before I head to the theatre. Suddenly panicking about what to eat that will allow me to make it through the whole movie with no breaks....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sitting in theater. 15 minutes!
AgMarauder04
AG
Prediction:

Jyn's dad, being forced to work for the empire, designs the design flaw exploited by Luke in Ep Iv
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Saw an early premier last night. It's was absolutely incredible.

Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Prediction:

Jyn's dad, being forced to work for the empire, designs the design flaw exploited by Luke in Ep Iv

Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
vwbug said:

If Vader is in in for as much as those review say - I'll be disappointed, he IS the empire.

They were really creative with the story line. Vader was in it just the right amount. *snicker*
4th and Inches
AG
absolutely loved it!!! home run! what a great tie in to a new hope!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Watching ANH now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
**** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

Holy *****!! That third act. Unreal. To me that was ROTJ-level as far as climaxes go.

It did drag just a bit in the middle, but it was never dull. And hats off to Disney, they actually did it. They actually had the balls to kill everyone off.

Tarkin went back and forth for me between looking great and suffering from uncanny valley syndrome. That said, all other CGI was FANTASTIC. The Star Destroyers especially looked so damn good.

Now, the big one. Vader. I'll start with the bad.

Something about his first appearance just did not sit right with me. The body language felt weird, and the voice sounded so bad to me. Was that even JEJ? Just sounded off to me for some reason. And that "try not to choke on your aspirations" line was cheesy as hell.

Having said that, HOLY **** that last scene. I'll be honest, I nearly cried. It was everything I wanted Vader to be in this movie. More than makes up for that awkward first scene.

Overall, absolutely loved it. Solid 9/10.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Prediction:

Called it too!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh and another thing. How the hell did they recreate Gold Leader guy from ANH? Had to be real footage, right?
MandoArms
Mind blown. Tied with Empire as best Star Wars movie.
The Collective
AG
Holy ***** The ending.
wangus12
AG
****ing awesome. Really hectic in the beginning with the jumping from planet to planet, but really picked up steam. What a third act! Felt like a war movie and it reminded me of Saving Private Ryan. The team started going down and it was tough to watch.

The Vader scene is what everyone has been waiting for. That was so freaking badass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.