Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,805 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ag Since 83 said:

But it's not a critical plot element! This is the story of getting the Death Star plans not how the Death Star works.

...you don't think the common mineral that fuels every light saber and the Death Star not to be a critical plot element? Look beyond R1 dude. If Kyber crystals are the only natural resource that can produce Jedi and Sith weaponry, how is that not critical? I guarantee it's going to come up again in future movies.
Name me one moment in any existing Star Wars film where you needed more information about kyber crystals than what you had been given to that point in order for the film to work? There isn't one. You don't need to know how lightsabers are powered in order for lightsaber fights to work. You don't need to know what makes the Death Star laser work in order for Episode IV to work. So no, they have never been critical plot elements to any Star Wars film. They were notable in Rogue One but not in a way that needed any more information than was given.

As viewers we can't demand that each film provide us new information about this universe and then when we are given that information say "well why didn't we get that 40 years ago?"

If knowing the inner workings of lightsabers and Death Stars is that important to you, you might need to consider reading the books and comics and playing the games. Otherwise, you don't care that much so stop complaining about the fact that information isn't as important as you think it is.
Ag Since 83
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Ag Since 83 said:

But it's not a critical plot element! This is the story of getting the Death Star plans not how the Death Star works.

It's a story of getting the Death Star plans that show how the Desth Star works. And then they mentioned out loud how it works. Oh my, the horror of too much information!
My argument is exactly that: they covered kyber crystals exactly as much as they should.
M.C. Swag
AG

Quote:

Name me one moment in any existing Star Wars film where you needed more information about kyber crystals than what you had been given to that point in order for the film to work? There isn't one. You don't need to know how lightsabers are powered in order for lightsaber fights to work. You don't need to know what makes the Death Star laser work in order for Episode IV to work. So no, they have never been critical plot elements to any Star Wars film. They were notable in Rogue One but not in a way that needed any more information than was given.
Really? c'mon dude. My point was exactly this. I never needed more information, because it was never brought up. As a viewer I assumed the sabres were powered through standard technology, not fueled by some scarce mineral. Surely you can see how that knowledge changes things? The fact that we never heard of Kyber crystals before, knowing now how crucial they were to the Jedi, Sith, and Empire, I thought it was odd timing. If you can't see that, i can't help you.

Quote:

As viewers we can't demand that each film provide us new information about this universe and then when we are given that information say "well why didn't we get that 40 years ago?"
That's not what I'm asking. But when there's 5 movies produced in the last 15 years, and we're just now finding out something that is elemental to the Jedi way of life (clearly you don't think so), I was pointing that out.

Quote:

If knowing the inner workings of lightsabers and Death Stars is that important to you, you might need to consider reading the books and comics and playing the games. Otherwise, you don't care that much so stop complaining about the fact that information isn't as important as you think it is.
It's amazing how far you miss the point. Idgaf how sabres work...until you make that knowledge plot crucial. You realize that what the empire did in creating the Death Star and hoarding all that Kyber crystal, they may have effectively extinguished sabre creation? or maybe not. Idk, but the point is, the ability for there to be more Jedi and Sith are directly impacted by the availability of this mineral. I think they did that on purpose. Especially when you consider the instability of Kylo Ren's sabre. They mentioned he made it himself and it looks like a knock off brand when next to Rey's (luke's) sabre. So my friend, when Ep. 8 drops, and Kylo Ren is searching for a Kyber Crystal to power his new sabre to defeat Rey, I hope you remember this convo.
bangobango
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ag Since 83 said:

...you don't think the common mineral that fuels every light saber and the Death Star not to be a critical plot element? Look beyond R1 dude. If Kyber crystals are the only natural resource that can produce Jedi and Sith weaponry, how is that not critical? I guarantee it's going to come up again in future movies.

That's kind of the nature of the medium. Not sure how you can fault writers in 2016 for not inserting plot points into stories written and produced twenty and forty years ago.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol I wasn't faulting! Repeat: I wasn't faulting. I assumed the Kyber Crystal on Jyn's neck would have more importance. That was my issue. It seemed like a shallow plot device.

The rest of the Kyber history was interesting and I wanted to point that out.
bangobango
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol I wasn't faulting! Repeat: I wasn't faulting. I assumed the Kyber Crystal on Jyn's neck would have more importance. That was my issue. It seemed like a shallow plot device.

The rest of the Kyber history was interesting and I wanted to point that out.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your point.
Ag Since 83
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Quote:

Really? c'mon dude. My point was exactly this. I never needed more information, because it was never brought up. As a viewer I assumed the sabres were powered through standard technology, not fueled by some scarce mineral. Surely you can see how that knowledge changes things? The fact that we never heard of Kyber crystals before, knowing now how crucial they were to the Jedi, Sith, and Empire, I thought it was odd timing. If you can't see that, i can't help you.

Quote:

That's not what I'm asking. But when there's 5 movies produced in the last 15 years, and we're just now finding out something that is elemental to the Jedi way of life (clearly you don't think so), I was pointing that out.

Quote:

It's amazing how far you miss the point. Idgaf how sabres work...until you make that knowledge plot crucial. You realize that what the empire did in creating the Death Star and hoarding all that Kyber crystal, they may have effectively extinguished sabre creation? or maybe not. Idk, but the point is, the ability for there to be more Jedi and Sith are directly impacted by the availability of this mineral. I think they did that on purpose. Especially when you consider the instability of Kylo Ren's sabre. They mentioned he made it himself and it looks like a knock off brand when next to Rey's (luke's) sabre. So my friend, when Ep. 8 drops, and Kylo Ren is searching for a Kyber Crystal to power his new sabre to defeat Rey, I hope you remember this convo.

You make some good points about future films, but now they've given you the information. My argument has nothing to do with future films so if there are kyber crystals in future films I am not going to regret saying this now, don't worry. Essential to the Jedi way of life? Sure, but not essential to any film plot we've seen. All I am saying that no existing film has been hurt by the omission (and now introduction) of kyber crystals (which, although never mentioned in film have long been part of canon).

If you want more information about them now that you've seen them mentioned great, I hope you get that information either through reading the canon materials or that future films provide information that satisfies you. But don't criticize this film or any previous film because they had no reason to give you the information. I'm simply replying to anyone arguing that this film or previous films are somehow lacking because suddenly these crystals have been introduced with limited information. That's just false.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I really don't get why people would be upset about this. Knowing that kyber crystals power light sabers or the Death Star weapon was not useful to the first 7 plots, but for this one, it explained why the empire was on Jedha. That alone is useful and necessary to the plot.
M.C. Swag
AG
"But don't criticize this film or any previous film because they had no reason to give you the information. I'm simply replying to anyone arguing that this film or previous films are somehow lacking because suddenly these crystals have been introduced with limited information. That's just false."

^Never said any of that.
M.C. Swag
AG
Not upset at all. Never said I was upset. I simply pointed out how that information is going to be the most impactful to the plot going forward. The specific crystal on jyns neck, given its screen time, I thought would have more impact.
Ag Since 83
AG
M.C. Swag said:

"But don't criticize this film or any previous film because they had no reason to give you the information. I'm simply replying to anyone arguing that this film or previous films are somehow lacking because suddenly these crystals have been introduced with limited information. That's just false."

^Never said any of that.
You didn't but others did who I was initially responding to. Apologies since I redirected that to you after you replied on a similar but different idea.
AgMarauder04
AG
Agree.

Me: "Why are they on this planet?"
Movie: "They need kyber crystals"
Me: "Why do they need kyber crystals?"
Movie: "They power lightsabers and the Death Star"
Me: "Oh, cool. Thanks"
Movie: "You're welcome, bro"
VanZandt92
M.C. Swag said:

Not upset at all. Never said I was upset. I simply pointed out how that information is going to be the most impactful to the plot going forward. The specific crystal on jyns neck, given its screen time, I thought would have more impact.

I'm glad it didn't. I just wanted to see her firing blasters. Pyew pyew
VanZandt92
wesag said:

bangobango said:

AgMarauder04 said:

I wasn't against him, but I feel the time they spent in his stronghold could have been used to greater effect than it was. They spent entirely too long on the interrogation of Bhodi...Especially the stupid tentacle thing.

I get it, they were trying to make him seem crazy, but still.

Thought that was a strange scene. Thought that thing made you go crazy. Bhodi seemed fine to me after somebody shook him out of it.

Thought the male lead murdering that guy at the beginning was also weird and not really developed.

There was disconnect between the first scenes and later.

I agree. They changed the movie midstream.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Me: "Why are they on this planet?"
Movie: "They need kyber crystals"
Me: "Why do they need kyber crystals?"
Movie: "They power lightsabers and the Death Star"
Me: "Oh, cool. Thanks"
Movie: "You're welcome, bro"
redline248
AG
Movie was awesome. I'm not ready to rank it, yet. Loved just about all of it. The cgi on Tarkin was pretty impressive, I thought. Leia was a little less impressive, but for 3 secs, I don't care.

I thought Vader's voice sounded odd in the scene with the director, and I wasn't a huge fan of the choking line. Seemed a little too playful, when compared to "apology accepted." The boarding party scene more than made up for it. I am not quite sure, but I think he caught the blaster shot from someone (maybe the guy he pinned to the ceiling), and then after slicing that dude threw the bolt into another guy. That was all so damn badass.

A few too many Easter eggs, imo. Didn't need R2 or 3PO, or the thugs from the cantina. Thought reusing the video/audio from Ep4 on the pilots was cool.

Some of you care too much about the music and the kyber crystals.
AgGrad99
AG
cone said:

Quote:

If it was an independent movie, and not part of the SW franchise, people would love it...but nitpick it because it is.

and I feel the exact opposite way

But in general, people don't tear apart an Avenger movie like this...but they do to this one because it's SW
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

I thought Vader's voice sounded odd in the scene with the director, and I wasn't a huge fan of the choking line. Seemed a little too playful, when compared to "apology accepted."
I'm not directing this at you necessarily, but this Vader line seems to be hanging people up a lot. Both on this thread and elsewhere.

I just don't get it, it's not like Vader delivers the line and goes "Wacka wacka wacka!" and shuffles off the screen with a big cane in his hand.

The nitpicking goes to hilarious extremes.
PatAg
AG
MemAg92 said:

So as someone who is not familiar with all the side stories of Star Wars (i.e. Rebels) and just watched only the 7 films, will I understand this movie?

Just in case no one responded to this, I have only watched the main movies. (I have read a lot of star wars books, but that doesnt matter for the new movies, they aren't canon). I understood the movie perfectly.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
wcb said:

Had no idea Warwick Davis (Wicket from ROTJ) was the little dude with the gun.
He's to Star Wars what John Ratzenberger is to Pixar....
GiveEmHellBill
AG
rebornaggie2013 said:

Cassian killing that guy at the beginning was when I became confident the movie would be good. Having one of the good guys take out a dude was a good sign it wasn't disneyfied
This movie really showed a different, darker and more dysfunctional side of the rebellion that we've ever experienced.

We are shown Cassian and later the other rebel volunteers who talk about all the bad things they've done in the name of the rebellion and how they now wanted to do something a little more......heroic for the cause.

Plus, we saw how hard it was for those in charge to actually DO anything when they have to go to a cowardly committee of senators to make decisions. There were some ready to end the rebellion on the rumor of this planet-destroying weapon.

What's interesting is that, most likely due to the success of the Death Star's first test and the rebel's first coordinated attack on the Empire, the Emperor decided to dissolve the Imperial Senate within maybe of day of the end of Rogue One. It was kind of a throwaway line in the first movie that becomes much more interesting now.
wesag
AG
PatAg said:

MemAg92 said:

So as someone who is not familiar with all the side stories of Star Wars (i.e. Rebels) and just watched only the 7 films, will I understand this movie?

Just in case no one responded to this, I have only watched the main movies. (I have read a lot of star wars books, but that doesnt matter for the new movies, they aren't canon). I understood the movie perfectly.

It's Star Wars. It's space wizards and blasters and cool looking aliens, not The Godfather movies.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I want to see a hard R of Vader between Ep III & IV. Release it via Miramax if needed.
redline248
AG
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

I thought Vader's voice sounded odd in the scene with the director, and I wasn't a huge fan of the choking line. Seemed a little too playful, when compared to "apology accepted."
I'm not directing this at you necessarily, but this Vader line seems to be hanging people up a lot. Both on this thread and elsewhere.

I just don't get it, it's not like Vader delivers the line and goes "Wacka wacka wacka!" and shuffles off the screen with a big cane in his hand.

The nitpicking goes to hilarious extremes.

You're right, it's not a big deal. Just didn't seem Vader like, to me.
PatAg
AG
So, read through everyones comments. I didn't mind the CGI Tarkin too much, but I honestly think they could have just had Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) portray him.

I thought the movie was pretty excellent, and I don't see how some people didn't feel an attachment to Cassian or Jin. I thought they were both excellently portrayed. You first see him shooting a dude to tie up loose ends so the Empire doesn't know what he is up to, and multiple times he mentions doing bad things for a good cause but being conflicted about it. Plenty of character development for him throughout the movie.

Overall I loved it, top 3 Star Wars movie for me.
cone
AG
the last avengers movie was hot garb
cone
AG
at least we know how dark they are going to allow these movies to be moving forward

not very dark it would seem

edit: which is fine. making a SW dirty dozen would severely limit the box office potential.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'd pay good money for this Vader movie.
The Collective
AG
This thread is becoming exactly what I knew it could become.
hunter2012
AG
redline248
AG
I don't remember seeing Krannick standing there looking at the 3D model of the death star at the end of Ep3
cone
AG
which is?
Farmer1906
AG
Krannick was the weapon guy. That's Tarkin's baby.
Philip J Fry
AG
hunter2012
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.