Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,781 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheOriginalRedBaron said:

IOn the other hand, it does add to the desperation the Rebellion was in during ANH.

I feel similarly. It's pretty amazing though, because take a ANH by itself, and you still have the Rebellion inches away from getting obliterated. Maybe it's tone of the film or just the series in general, but I never felt the desperation that should have existed (seeing it as a kid probably contributes to that), but now I finally get it.
redline248
AG
Quote:

But mostly ANH's happy ending with medals being delivered in the great hall while the Wookie screams and everyone laughs and applauds will now be tempered with the knowledge of the sacrifice and ultimate price paid by so many in Rogue One.
I know it's not the same for the audience, b/c we had a little more investment in R1 characters, but don't you think the same thing would be present for the characters in ANH after all the people that died attacking the Death Star? One of Luke's childhood friends, 2 squad leaders, and poor, poor Porkins...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can't imagine how awesome it was in the theater when Han showed up out of nowhere and shot those TIEs out behind Luke.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I can't imagine how awesome it was in the theater when Han showed up out of nowhere and shot those TIEs out behind Luke.
yeah that was awesome...my 11 year old brain was ready to write off Han completely for his selfishness....but he redeemed himself fully in that moment.

This is a trope that has been repeated in many movies since then and I always recognize it as the Han move....the edgy selfish bad guy who bails before the big fight only to save the day. It was done before that of course - but for me that's always the context because that is where I saw it first.

Most recently it was done in the Magnificent Seven reboot - and had been in the original as well.
TheOriginalRedBaron
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars when it originally opened. That was an awesome scene that often prompted audiences to openly cheer.

But it was nothing compared to the reaction we saw on opening day for Empire Strikes Back when Vader said "Luke, I am your father." The collective gasp from the audience was amazing. I've never heard anything like it in a theater since. Then you heard people all over muttering "but that's impossible" and then Luke echoed the audience, also saying it wasn't possible. You could hear a pin drop when Vader tells him it true, to search his feelings, and the dawning of tragic truth shows on Luke's face. Jaws across the theater were wide open in shock.

The rest of the movie was just a blur after that shock. For those who had seen it, it was all we could talk about for days. There was no internet so secrets like this could stick until people saw the show, and as your friends went to see it that scene was all they wanted to talk about for days.

That was one of the greatest moments in cinema history.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars when it originally opened. That was an awesome scene that often prompted audiences to openly cheer.

But it was nothing compared to the reaction we saw on opening day for Empire Strikes Back when Vader said "Luke, I am your father." The collective gasp from the audience was amazing. I've never heard anything like it in a theater since. Then you heard people all over muttering "but that's impossible" and then Luke echoed the audience, also saying it wasn't possible. You could hear a pin drop when Vader tells him it true, to search his feelings, and the dawning of tragic truth shows on Luke's face. Jaws across the theater were wide open in shock.

The rest of the movie was just a blur after that shock. For those who had seen it, it was all we could talk about for days. There was no internet so secrets like this could stick until people saw the show, and as your friends went to see it that scene was all they wanted to talk about for days.

Agreed^^^^

they were both awesome in different ways. but the Han scene wasn't one where you felt like you were holding some huge secret, it was just cool.

yes the Vader scene was huge - not everyone saw ESB on opening weekend like these days ...sometimes it was weeks later. so you had to be careful when talking to people about it, everyone was pretty cool about not spoiling it. But it kind of made it where there were friends you couldn't talk to about it until they saw it. i recall that week at school after opening weekend huddling up with only people who had seen it at lunch, etc.
TheOriginalRedBaron
Yea, I was an LT in the Army when ESB came out, stationed at Schofield Barracks Hawaii. My 7 months pregnant wife and I saw it on opening day, waiting for hours in the Hawaii heat in a line to do so. That's what it took back then.

Everyone we knew as pushing us for what we thought and we just told them that it was awesome, but that they had to go see it before we could talk about it. Once they saw it they all came rushing to us to talk about it. Because of this spirited discussion lasted for weeks, it became the talk of parties for weeks and weeks. Major topics of discussion included:

1. Claims of whether the revelation contradicted events in the original Star Wars (not yet renamed "A New Hope"). The conversation between Ben and Luke at Ben's house was picked apart in detail again and again.

2. How. Nobody understood how Vader could be Luke's father. Uncle Owen's and Aunt Beru's conversation, "he has too much of his father in him" "That's what I'm afraid of" suddenly looming huge and so on.

3. Many still denied it. Many argued Vader was using the Force to dupe Luke, or something like that, so the whole thing was maybe just a huge theatrical misdirection. They supported arguments like this with claims that it clearly did contradict what Obi Wan said, that Yoda would have told Luke, and that it just didn't make sense.

4. Another major topic of discussion was the mysterious additional hope Yoda referred to in rebuttal to Obi/Ghost saying "there goes our only hope" and Yoda enigmatically saying "no, there is another." Who could that be? Another relative? Most guesses focused on Han Solo, or even Lando, Hell I remember Chewbaca getting some action. A very few did guess Leia usually focusing on her hearing Luke's call for help when dangling by one hand from the bottom of cloud city.

In an era before the internet, with geeks like us able to argue to our hearts content with fellow fans, that movie prompted post watching discussion like no other.
JJxvi
AG
Obligatory "That's not the line!"

Vader says "No, I am your father."
Red Five
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Funny to see this mentioned, when there was a thread a few days ago about "collective misrememberings" on the GB and that line being one of those instances. Vader doesn't say that. He actually says, "No, I am your father," after Luke accuses him of killing his father. That doesn't change the point of your post, I just found it humorous to see it happen. Personally, I blame Tommy Boy.
twilly
AG
I mentioned this before on the big SW thread but the novelization for The Empire Strikes Back was released about a month before the movie came out. On opening day of the movie, many people already knew Vader was Luke's father. Sure there was an audible gasp when Vader said it, but to a good portion of the theater, we already knew.
Buck Compton
AG
twilly said:

I mentioned this before on the big SW thread but the novelization for The Empire Strikes Back was released about a month before the movie came out. On opening day of the movie, many people already knew Vader was Luke's father. Sure there was an audible gasp when Vader said it, but to a good portion of the theater, we already knew.
This is why you don't read books before the movie.... I would never want to ruin that moment. Also, who had the bright idea to release the novelization first??
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Obligatory mention of the Phantom Menace soundtrack here.
twilly
AG
Buck Compton said:

twilly said:

This is why you don't read books before the movie.... I would never want to ruin that moment. Also, who had the bright idea to release the novelization first??
And if you don't read the book before the movie, how would you know there is a moment that could be ruined?

It was Empire that created the blockbuster sequel. Sequel etiquette and protocol was unknown and nobody was thinking about ruining reveals because that really didn't happen in movies of the period.. Besides I was a 10 yo kid and the term patience wasn't my mantra when it came to movie spoilers.

And I believe the guy who decided to release the book before the movie was George Lucas. He seems to have done OK with his life.
Red Five
AG
Buck Compton said:

twilly said:

There have been numerous studies that suggest knowledge of spoilers actually enhances enjoyment of films/stories/etc. Here's an article about one: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

I could understand someone's argument for the opposite though. In the case of Vader specifically, I would be interested to know how opinions vary based on age. Are reactions different for people who saw ESB in the theater vs. people who saw it later on home video or TV? I was born the year it released, so I didn't see it until many years after it had come out. I honestly don't remember if I was surprised by the Vader reveal when I saw it or if I had already known due to it being such a widely known moment in pop culture.
Ronnie
AG
Quote:

And I believe the guy who decided to release the book before the movie was George Lucas. He seems to have done OK with his life.

I admire Lucas and despise him.
Duncan Idaho
Ronnie said:

Quote:

I admire Lucas and despise him.

See pitbull thread
double aught
AG
The force is strong with this thread today.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02
AG
I KNEW I heard Pao said "Karabast!"
oragator
Officially crossed a billion.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=starwars2016.htm
fig96
AG
Had a second viewing last night (my company's post-holiday party is pretty awesome) and focused in on digital double during the Tarkin scenes.

Had they kept the shots to only a phrase or so, cut more liberally and focused a bit more on Krennic during their conversations, it totally would've worked. After about 5 or 6 words you start to pick up on something not quite looking right, there's a bit of lack of movement in the face overall and the eyes look slightly dead.

For a quick shot then cut to reaction to his dialogue, however, it's completely successful and totally believable.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Red Five said:

Buck Compton said:

twilly said:

There have been numerous studies that suggest knowledge of spoilers actually enhances enjoyment of films/stories/etc. Here's an article about one: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

I could understand someone's argument for the opposite though. In the case of Vader specifically, I would be interested to know how opinions vary based on age. Are reactions different for people who saw ESB in the theater vs. people who saw it later on home video or TV? I was born the year it released, so I didn't see it until many years after it had come out. I honestly don't remember if I was surprised by the Vader reveal when I saw it or if I had already known due to it being such a widely known moment in pop culture.
Jumping back to the discussion of Empire and the "No, I am your father" line for a bit, there did not exist in those days the word "spoiler" or even the concept of it. If someone had mentioned that, the response likely would have been a bit like the little brother character in the 50s home of the gal that would be Marty McFly's mom, Lorraine whatever her last name was, when Marty says he'd watched something a bunch in re-runs, and the brother says "what's a re-run?"

I was one of those who had bought and read the book prior to seeing the movie. I truly do not recall any real reaction to the reveal when I read it, but I do remember a very noticeable gasp in the audience at the WestChase 5 theater in Houston where I first saw the movie.
Flashdiaz
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Red Five said:

Buck Compton said:

twilly said:

Jumping back to the discussion of Empire and the "No, I am your father" line for a bit, there did not exist in those days the word "spoiler" or even the concept of it. If someone had mentioned that, the response likely would have been a bit like the little brother character in the 50s home of the gal that would be Marty McFly's mom, Lorraine whatever her last name was, when Marty says he'd watched something a bunch in re-runs, and the brother says "what's a re-run?"

I was one of those who had bought and read the book prior to seeing the movie. I truly do not recall any real reaction to the reveal when I read it, but I do remember a very noticeable gasp in the audience at the WestChase 5 theater in Houston where I first saw the movie.

Did you go to Westchase mall after?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Red Five said:

Buck Compton said:

twilly said:

Did you go to Westchase mall after?
There was not a mall. The theater was in a strip center which still stands, although greatly modified since 1980 and no longer featuring the theater. But no, I don't recall going to any mall or anything else after that movie ended.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
Yeah, good luck passing on the twenty spinoffs over the next 40 years or so.
YouBet
AG
Cromagnum said:

This is awesome. I have to steal it.
Yoda
AG
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I could not disagree with you more. To me, this showed exactly how the non-episode films can add so much to the overall saga while being their own unique things.

Very excited to see where they go from here.
AliasMan02
AG
If you liked 7 a lot, why would you just give 8 "a chance" regardless with what you thought of RO? Why aren't you stoked for 8 because of 7? RO and 8 have nothing to do with each other in any way, including development and story philosophy.

Maybe Disney is really failing in how it is marketing these films if people don't separate them into distinct silos.
Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
You're entitled to your opinion, but this is why I think you're way off base. You make a couple of points.

1. The movie didn't feel like Star Wars, for example not having the scroll.
2. You fear dilution of the franchise.

Those two things don't mesh. If RO was made to "feel" like a Star Wars movie, it WOULD dilute the franchise. The style/feel you're talking about is reserved for the saga films just so it won't go stale.

The anthology films are going to take on all sorts of different feels. We're going to get thrillers and war films and heist movies and gangster movies and straight action flicks. Star Wars will get to flex its collective creative muscles. That's the whole point.

Above all, I don't see how RO could impact your anticipation for TLJ, for better or worse. They're distinct and RO in no way influences the "feel" of TLJ.
Flashdiaz
AG
I think most die hard fans realize the prequels sucked was more so due to the script and director and less so with the actors. What other movie could make Portman such a wooden actress?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is why I think you're way off base. You make a couple of points.

1. The movie didn't feel like Star Wars, for example not having the scroll.
2. You fear dilution of the franchise.

Those two things don't mesh. If RO was made to "feel" like a Star Wars movie, it WOULD dilute the franchise. The style/feel you're talking about is reserved for the saga films just so it won't go stale.

The anthology films are going to take on all sorts of different feels. We're going to get thrillers and war films and heist movies and gangster movies and straight action flicks. Star Wars will get to flex its collective creative muscles. That's the whole point.

Above all, I don't see how RO could impact your anticipation for TLJ, for better or worse. They're distinct and RO in no way influences the "feel" of TLJ.

Agreed...and the reasons I really liked Rogue One (not saying better than TFA just different) were because.... It would get a little tiring (especially considering the number of movies coming) if EVERY movie had

1. the same super planet killer weapon over and over (that was really the 5th to feature a death star in some way)
2. the same happy ending where everyone lives
3. the same exact theme music all the time
4. the same clear good guy/bad guy and white/black dress to match

I like some variety and can accept the anthology films going outside the envelope for that reason.

Variety.

that said RO was not perfect...I had some issues with it...just not enough to complain ala the prequels.

PS - I did miss the crawl though. But it didn't detract once the movie got rolling.
fig96
AG
Agreed, the fact that we can get some different kinds of films is what really appeals to me in the anthology films. Rogue One was a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and that was awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.