Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

221,803 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking old footage. Might need a side-by-side to know for sure. Pretty sure Gold Leader (Jon Vander) was used as well.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Worth it to see it in IMAX 3D?
JCRiley09
AG
Movie was amazing. Looking forward to seeing it again next week
PatriotAg02
AG
Going tomorrow mid-day. Can't wait.
The Collective
AG
How about Mustafar? That was damn redemptive after the episode III crap.
YellowPot_97
AG
Beautiful

Best looking Star Wars movie hands down
YellowPot_97
AG
Finally get a glimpse of Vader's castle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was my first thought, but no way it's Mustafar is it? Why would he stay there?
boogieman
AG
Nerdgasm. So much fun. All the cameos and nods had me smiling.
So enjoyable.
The icing on the cake was the final Vader scene.
wangus12
AG
I thought it was cool that they used one of the corvettes basically as a kamikaze into the star destroyer as well. I only assume it was destroyed when that tangled mass plowed through the shield generator
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That was my first thought, but no way it's Mustafar is it? Why would he stay there?
Would think it has to be. Everyone is going to make that connection with the lava and Anakin
The Collective
AG
Bast wasn't on Mustafar but that's not canon, I don't think. Need a higher level of nerd to weigh in here.
Simplebay
AG
Just got out. Very good. Was right about Vader only being in a couple scenes, but that 2nd scene was beyond my wildest expectations.

The nods to the original were great. This felt like the most star wars movie yet.

Tarkin CG went from awful to amazing to meh. Did Ben Mendholson's weight keep changing? Reshoots? He looked gaunt, then fat, hair was different in some parts. Was strange.

Felicity Jones knocked it out of the park, as did Tudyk. Great acting. Diego Luna was good too. But what the hell was up with Donnie Yen and Forest Whitaker? Nope, didnt like their portrayals. Bodhi rook was also a boring and useless character.

Also, where was all the unused footage? Tie fighter money shot on the catwalk, Krennick walking in the water, stormtroopers in the water, Jyn running across the beach with the datapad? Big trailer money shots not used, strange.

Did like Tarkin nuking the base and them dying on the beach. Loved all the creatures. LOVED the new planets, but there hey needed to calm the f down with that in the first ten minutes. It felt a little jumbled, editing was clumsy in the the beginning.

Great effort, will be seeing it again. But I still like episode 7 better. Holistically it felt more cohesive.
Urban Ag
AG
BrownCoat said:

Mind blown. Tied with Empire as best Star Wars movie.
this

it was that good. A little slow in the middle. But just amazing. Can't post all my thoughts now but it was really, really, good.

No cheese. No jar jars. No sand sucks. No ewoks. Just a very well made Star Wars war movie.

Wanted to see more Vader the final scenes with Vader were amazing. People were literally crawling backs in their seats.GI

Tie ins to ANH were the tits.

CGI Tarkin........forget all the BS you have read, best CGI I have ever seen. Amazing.

Also, the run in with a certain Mos Eisley duo on Jedha......priceless.

One last thing and this is coming from someone that identifies as conservative/libertarian. There was not one line in that movie or theme no matter how subtle, that made me think of anything related to Trump or the election. Nothing. And Jyn was great. They really pulled off the female lead in this one because nothing was contrived or forced. And she wasn't even remotely over the top bad ass chica. Very well done.
wangus12
AG
Bast was on Vjun and was acid rain or something, not lava.
thepartygoat
AG
Rogue One > The Force Awakens
wangus12
AG
The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

My new prayer before any and all expeditions
birdman
Wow, that was intense. I loved nearly everything about it. Gritty story but beautiful to look at. Filled in the gaps perfectly without seeming forced. Music was different than I expected.

I liked the tips of cap to old films, but I probably missed more than I recognized. My favorite was the real ugly guy that bumped into Cassian and wanted to fight. Same guy that picked a fight with Luke in cantina.

Wife and daughter were nearly inconsolable. This is not a Star Wars for small children.
wangus12
AG
Also, we got to give props to Disney for actually knocking everyone off. I know most of us were concerned about they'd finish each characters story
samurai_science
Just saw it 3d Imax for free thanks to Citrix. Seeing it tomorrow at Alamo for free with lunch thank to Dell. Love IT Vendor sales teams! LOL

Anyway I think its the best star wars move behind Empire, and to give you an idea here is my list.

Empire
Rogue One
New Hope
Jedi
Force Awakens
Rest (if you need an order, 3, 1, 2)
samurai_science
birdman said:

Wow, that was intense. I loved nearly everything about it. Gritty story but beautiful to look at. Filled in the gaps perfectly without seeming forced. Music was different than I expected.

I liked the tips of cap to old films, but I probably missed more than I recognized. My favorite was the real ugly guy that bumped into Cassian and wanted to fight. Same guy that picked a fight with Luke in cantina.

Wife and daughter were nearly inconsolable. This is not a Star Wars for small children.
Mine was the X-Wing pilots!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, that knights of ren theory kind of went out the window, huh?
wangus12
AG
Gotta say I'm not upset with that at all.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, that knights of ren theory kind of went out the window, huh?
right along with Vader in the bacta tank

Lord Darth was just getting the oil changed, nothing to see here folks....move along....move along
birdman
I forgot to put my ranking on earlier post.

I still have Empire as best movie. Then Star Wars. Rogue One settles for bronze. It's an awesome movie, just not sure beats those two. But let me watch it ten more times and I might change my mind.
MandoArms
I liked the pilots and subtle explanation as to why Luke was given the call sign Red 5.
wangus12
AG
I need to see it again, but its in the Top 3 or tied with TFA.
spanky
AG
Haha...they gone
Ag Since 83
AG
Wow. That was incredible. Easily top 3 SW film with IV and V (and maybe higher?)

They nailed the tone and really put the "war" in Star Wars. Gritty but with the right amount of humor

Even though they had hinted in interviews it would be a story about the questionable acts you have to do in war, I didn't see the morally ambiguous rebels coming. The conflict between Jyn and the Alliance along those lines was awesome, and I'm really glad they left it out of the marketing materials.

The ending...wow, killed each of them off in an effective way. Loved Jyn and Cassian watching their death approach on the beach

Vader...just the right amount, and a great rampage scene we all wanted

Great performances all around and great new characters

My only (minor) nitpicks:

Giacchino's score bothered me a little early in the film...every transition while they were introducing a new planet was so dramatic...once the introductions were done the score seemed to fit much more naturally though

I liked the nods to the old films (BLUE MILK!) but I don't know if I needed to see the old pilots a 2nd time, and I really think we could have done without seeing CGI Leia's face
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
The wife and I just got out, I loved it and she just liked it. I thought the 3rd act was great and the ending was badass. I thought the first Vader scene was pretty meh but they more than made up for it with the ending.
Legal Custodian
AG
The Vader scene at the end might have been my favorite Star Wars moment ever. Badass! There were some things I didn't like, hard to say where it ranks for me but definitely better than the prequels and ROTJ
agmag90
That was awesome. From seeing the first 5 minutes of Dunkirk in the trailers to Rogue One, just a really fun movie experience. My favorite Star Wars movie.

I know this is the Spoilers thread but still warning you this is a spoiler.

One of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was how it ended. We've seen so many prequels and sequels for movie franchises it was so cool to see how this tied into the much bigger Star Wars story by directly leading into the opening of Episode IV. I that was so cool. Never seen that done, before and the way it was executed was fantastic.
Jim01
AG
Just got out and it was really entertaining.

I saw 3D because the timing worked better for me but I felt like 3D added absolutely nothing to it.

All the acting was great. Whitaker bothered me a bit so was happy to see him go.

My main beef was the CG for Tarkin. They shouldn't have showed him so much. The CG on Leia was also so so.

Lots of great action and beautiful stuff. The tie ins were all well done. The new robot was awesome and so funny.

Agree that the first 10 minutes jumped a lot and it was odd seeing chirons in a SW movie.

I definitely liked Force Awakens better though. Better executed and more emotional overall with so much nostalgia.

Plan to see it again with my 3 kids. Have to let it digest before a proper ranking.
wangus12
AG
One side note:

What is up with the tentacled beasts in the new films. Some kinky mofos working in CGI or what?
spanky
AG
It's a shame k-2so had to go. Was a fav of my 8 and 9 year olds

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.