Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

434,228 Views | 3133 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by CowtownAg06
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cena05 said:

Dozier's meat market in Fulshear is closing, bummer.
Where do you see that? Their social media is active as of two days ago and doesn't mention it.
TXAG 05
AG
Saw a post about it this morning.
agcrock2005
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Iconic Fulshear barbecue favorite will soon shutter after 67 years
ChipFTAC01
AG
Probably dirt is getting too valuable.
BQRyno
AG
agcrock2005 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Boo to this
tsuag10
AG
Roegels BBQ on Voss for lunch today.

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but their pork belly is one of my favorite bites in all of BBQ. Right up there for me with L&L beef cheeks. Fatty, peppery, tender excellence.

Brisket was great, but just a touch dry. Well rendered fat and good bark. I'm just more of a point guy and they gave me flat.

Beans and Mac were both good.

Hwy30East
I've been to the one on I10 a couple of times, and I agree on the pork belly!
mustang1234
agcrock2005 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Dozier family sold it years ago
maca1028
Beef Cheek, how have the Friday crowds been at the new location? Do y'all typically sell out pretty quick? We're driving through Austin around noon Friday and was planning on stopping by.
aggietony2010
AG
That pork belly is fantastic. It outshines their brisket, which has been pretty solid (but not the best of the best) every time I've been there.

And my almost 2 year old devoured the Mac and cheese when we went. I put it in front of him and gave him a fork...when I saw how much was gone from the cup, I assumed he had just spilled a bunch as toddlers do. He had dropped just a single noodle, and had polished off most of it himself, leaving me and my older son to share the second serving of it we had. It's good stuff.
Beef Cheek
AG
maca1028 said:

Beef Cheek, how have the Friday crowds been at the new location? Do y'all typically sell out pretty quick? We're driving through Austin around noon Friday and was planning on stopping by.

The line for Friday is probably one hour or so long around lunch time, the beef cheeks are the special that day and we have them available until late in afternoon (4-5ish)

We also have "any time eats" menu available to order from the bar, so you can skip the wait if you're looking for a burger, bbq sandwich, onion rings etc
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Beef Cheek said:

maca1028 said:

The line for Friday is probably one hour or so long around lunch time, the beef cheeks are the special that day and we have them available until late in afternoon (4-5ish)

We also have "any time eats" menu available to order from the bar, so you can skip the wait if you're looking for a burger, bbq sandwich, onion rings etc

This is not a knock on their bbq, but the burger and rings are more than worthy of a visit.
maca1028
Perfect, thanks!
TXAG 05
AG
Pinkertons is opening another location in the old 59 Diner at Shepherd and 59.
IronRed13
AG
Good day at Goldee's. Drive from Houston, got in about 1030 and ~150 in line. Nothing was out at when we hit the front line at 1230. Everything was great, some of the best ribs Ive had, very tender brisket, fantastic grits.
JonSnow
Had lunch at Pecan Lodge today. Mediocre at best. I was disappointed.
agcrock2005
AG
JonSnow said:

Haven't been in several years, but have heard it went downhill. The couple times I went (not long after new building) it wasn't any good. Always had a line though. Seems like he monetized that top 5 ranking a while back and is doing well for himself though.
TXAG 05
AG
Pit Room's 2nd location opens on Monday
Bulldog73
AG
Headed to the OG Truth in the next week. Looking forward to it.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
https://austin.eater.com/2024/4/26/24140760/valentinas-tex-mex-bbq-sale-new-owners-temporarily-closed-buda-texas-barbecue-restaurant
Koldus131
AG
Some really awful stuff in this article about Valentina's. It was woefully mis-managed and I'm surprised the new owner (their largest financier) is allowing the former owners and founders to stay on as employees.

RED AG 98
AG
Wow. That looks pretty bad. Not firsthand knowledge, but I was randomly speaking with someone at a different BBQ joint very near there about 2 years ago while we were waiting in line. Got to talking about some of our favorite places in the area and I of course brought up Valentina's. I really do love the Tex BBQ combo, it's tough to beat.

Anyway, the guy got really heated and went on a rant about how that place was toxic. He said he and his girllfriend both worked there but quit because it was just a really bad place to work and that the owner was a sleazeball and all around bad person. Said the owner was especially awful to women and that he wouldn't be surprised to read about him going to jail someday. I chalked it up as probably bitter former employee and hadn't thought about it again until just now that article...
LawHall88
AG
There seem to be extenuating circumstances here, but I wonder, with increased food prices and the general difficulty in running a BBQ place, if we are about to see a shrinking in the BBQ restaurant market.
Koldus131
AG
The second there's an actual economic recession, yes I think there will be. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is generally people have still had the discretionary income to handle the increased prices.
Saxsoon
AG
agcrock2005 said:

JonSnow said:

Haven't been in several years, but have heard it went downhill. The couple times I went (not long after new building) it wasn't any good. Always had a line though. Seems like he monetized that top 5 ranking a while back and is doing well for himself though.
Was my first BBQ when I moved to Dallas after living in Seattle for 7 years. It was awful.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AustinCountyAg
IronRed13 said:

Good day at Goldee's. Drive from Houston, got in about 1030 and ~150 in line. Nothing was out at when we hit the front line at 1230. Everything was great, some of the best ribs Ive had, very tender brisket, fantastic grits.

what side is that on the bottom with the green onion?
agcrock2005
AG
Not my pic, but pretty sure it's their pork hash over rice.
Koldus131
AG
Yes it is, and it is one of the best sides in all of Texas BBQ. It's unbelievably good. Since we're on Goldee's, here's my tray from a visit there just over 3 weeks ago.
AustinCountyAg
what exactly is it? looks like an etouffee type of creation?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Pork bone stock with pork trimmings seasoned up into a gravy over rice.
CyAg
AG
Sounds rich... and delicious!
Koldus131
AG
Some serious good bull from Truth BBQ owner (and Aggie) Leo Botello and his wife Abbie.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2024/04/truth-bbq-charity-work

agcrock2005
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Another genius way these top spots are using their trash to create delicious high-margin sides. Seems like all of the top places are figuring out ways to do this. Pretty impressive. Leroy & Lewis has a video on how they make theirs.

Aggie Therapist
AG
Might be hitting that place up on Saturday but apparently I need to go to Interstellar BBQ first
Bulldog73
AG
I saw someone say on here a few months back that essentially we've reached a critical mass in brisket and the meats and the differentiation will come in the sides, and I have to say that I agree.

We went to the OG Truth this weekend, and it was very good, but the sides were more of a classic style and just fine. There's room for that, but it's hard to be elite in today's game with that. IMO of course.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.