Astros = CHEATERS

156,435 Views | 1481 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggies2009
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
03_Aggie said:

Yet nothing. Almost 24hrs since I made the post and nothing from all these supposed baseball geniuses to back up their superior take.

Oh wait, there's "why'd they do it if it didn't help." Superior intellect there.

What was your point, exactly? That stealing signs electronically and relaying them to the hitter didn't make a difference?
Aggies2009
AG
MaxPower said:

The nuance is you're assuming the stealing was successful all the time. When you're wrong you drastically decrease your chances of a positive outcome by swinging at what you have concluded is a fastball but turns out to be a breaking ball (or being unable to swing at a strike and being forced to take the pitch). There's also the possibility of counter intelligence, which would be fascinating in and of itself. If a team knew or suspected you were stealing signs they could set you up for a critical point in the game to get an out.

So I'd say the counter argument to Bryant's argument that it's worse than roids is simply this.....the Astros didn't actually know the pitch every time whereas McGwire and Sosa sure were juiced for every pitch during the HR race.

To their credit, the Astros did the cheating well. If you watch any game from 2017, the bangs at MMP line up almost 100% with a slider (or 2 bangs for a changeup). There shouldn't need to be counterintelligence, though it did happen in at least one instance where a pitcher and catcher changed signs and the batter expected fastball but got offspeed and struck out. I only know of one instance though.
Alta
AG
It's a loser mentality and you can't even have a conversation with folks like that. They then make up facts to fit their story as to why it's ok. It's tainted and that sucks but at the end of the day they got caught, can't own up to it and want to justify it. Lance Armstrong was fine doping all those years because "everybody else was doing it" too. There is nothing more annoying in sports or life than the excuse that "everybody else was doing it." That is something a 5 year old says.
MaxPower
Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

The nuance is you're assuming the stealing was successful all the time. When you're wrong you drastically decrease your chances of a positive outcome by swinging at what you have concluded is a fastball but turns out to be a breaking ball (or being unable to swing at a strike and being forced to take the pitch). There's also the possibility of counter intelligence, which would be fascinating in and of itself. If a team knew or suspected you were stealing signs they could set you up for a critical point in the game to get an out.

So I'd say the counter argument to Bryant's argument that it's worse than roids is simply this.....the Astros didn't actually know the pitch every time whereas McGwire and Sosa sure were juiced for every pitch during the HR race.

To their credit, the Astros did the cheating well. If you watch any game from 2017, the bangs at MMP line up almost 100% with a slider (or 2 bangs for a changeup). There shouldn't need to be counterintelligence, though it did happen in at least one instance where a pitcher and catcher changed signs and the batter expected fastball but got offspeed and struck out. I only know of one instance though.
Oh really. You've gone through every pitch of the season? I'd love to see your analysis. If you're referring to the guy in twitter who looked it up he did not come close to viewing every pitch of the season.

And I never said they didn't cheat. I'm saying you can't act as if they knew every pitch, every time, all the time. If so then they should have been awful the next season when they stopped doing it.
03_Aggie
Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

Yet nothing. Almost 24hrs since I made the post and nothing from all these supposed baseball geniuses to back up their superior take.

Oh wait, there's "why'd they do it if it didn't help." Superior intellect there.

What was your point, exactly? That stealing signs electronically and relaying them to the hitter didn't make a difference?

My opinion is clearly stated in the post.
Aggies2009
AG
MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Oh really. You've gone through every pitch of the season? I'd love to see your analysis. If you're referring to the guy in twitter who looked it up he did not come close to viewing every pitch of the season.

And I never said they didn't cheat. I'm saying you can't act as if they knew every pitch, every time, all the time. If so then they should have been awful the next season when they stopped doing it.

I mean I haven't looked at every pitch, but I wasn't the one making the claim that "well they didn't ACTUALLY know", so it isn't my job to prove a negative.

Also, if you believe they stopped, there isn't much that c. Be done for you.
Flexbone
Alta said:

It's a loser mentality and you can't even have a conversation with folks like that. They then make up facts to fit their story as to why it's ok. It's tainted and that sucks but at the end of the day they got caught, can't own up to it and want to justify it. Lance Armstrong was fine doping all those years because "everybody else was doing it" too. There is nothing more annoying in sports or life than the excuse that "everybody else was doing it." That is something a 5 year old says.

It's reality. This isn't your son's little league team. Every single one of these franchises bend the "rules" all the time. They know it's happening everywhere and these players move around. The fact that some of you are actually taking this position is hilarious. Any Patriots fans out there? The Rangers strip themselves of their division titles from the 90s yet?

For those standing on the "evidence" produced by the investigation, it was determined that the Astros didn't do this in 2019, when they were the best offense in the game and one of the best all time. With virtually the same core players as the 2017 team. Yet....the 17 team should give its title away...even though it mowed through other teams doing the same exact thing.

Some of you are absolutely pathetic.
Aggies2009
AG
03_Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

Lmao

"someone answer my post from yesterday!"

What did it say?

"I said it already!"
Flexbone
Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

I mean I haven't looked at every pitch, but I wasn't the one making the claim that "well they didn't ACTUALLY know", so it isn't my job to prove a negative.

Wait.. you believe they did it because the investigation determined so. But the same investigation determined they stopped...and you don't believe it?

Look at yourself.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

I don't think anyone has insinuated the Astros were a bad team absent the sign stealing. Quite the opposite actually. The Astros were a great team that cheated when they didn't have to in all likelihood. Which makes the whole thing even dumber.
Aggies2009
AG
Flexbone said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Wait.. you believe they did it because the investigation determined so. But the same investigation determined they stopped...and you don't believe it?

Look at yourself.

It didn't determine they stopped. It couldn't determine that they did it.

Further, your little jabs at people speak volumes about you. But you're spending your life on this forum defending cheaters so there's not much further low you can stoop. Lol
03_Aggie
Go figure it out if you want to throw your $.02 in. Don't act like it isn't worth your time. You spend quite a bit on this topic.
Flexbone
Aggies2009 said:

Flexbone said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Look at yourself.

It didn't determine they stopped. It couldn't determine that they did it.

Further, your little jabs at people speak volumes about you. But you're spending your life on this forum defending cheaters so there's not much further low you can stoop. Lol

So....just like our jury system when it acquits people?

Right, my e-jabs at people like who who are camped out on this thread defending the sanctity of pro sports speak volumes about ME, not you. My comments are deserved. The fact that you're here all day, days on end trying to discount a PRO baseball title won by people that don't have anything to do with you....that doesn't say anything about you. Not at all.
Aggies2009
AG
03_Aggie said:

Go figure it out if you want to throw your $.02 in. Don't act like it isn't worth your time. You spend quite a bit on this topic.

Feel free if you want to paste it. Otherwise stop whining about nobody giving you attention.
Alta
AG
What's pathetic is making excuses for cheating. I never said their title should be taken away. I said I think it's tainted and their excuses in the past week sound like what losers would say. Own up to what you did and move on but stop acting like it didn't matter.

I've been an Astros fan since I can remember. Went to two of the World Series games in 2017. My opinion doesn't matter worth **** but as a fan of the team their 2017 championship doesn't mean much anymore. Just like you others are entitled to their opinion. IMO it deserves an asterisk.
Flexbone
Alta said:

What's pathetic is making excuses for cheating. I never said their title should be taken away. I said I think it's tainted and their excuses in the past week sound like what losers would say. Own up to what you did and move on but stop acting like it didn't matter.

I've been an Astros fan since I can remember. Went to two of the World Series games in 2017. My opinion doesn't matter worth **** but as a fan of the team their 2017 championship doesn't mean much anymore. Just like you others are entitled to their opinion. IMO it deserves an asterisk.

If you knew every team that's ever won a title also "cheated" (again, it wasn't cheating), does that change your opinion?

That's my whole point. Tying your heart to a professional sports team when your standard is that they achieve while playing as pure as the driven snow is one of the dumbest things anyone can do.
Aggies2009
AG
Flexbone said:

Alta said:

If you knew every team that's ever won a title also "cheated" (again, it wasn't cheating), does that change your opinion?

That's my whole point. Tying your heart to a professional sports team when your standard is that they achieve while playing as pure as the driven snow is one of the dumbest things anyone can do.

Then why are you spending so many posts trying to convince people to not look down on the one little title the Astros won*?
03_Aggie
Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

Feel free if you want to paste it. Otherwise stop whining about nobody giving you attention.

It ain't about attention. But not surprisingly you don't know what you're talking about.
investorAg83
AG
03_Aggie said:

Assuming you really are an idiot and not just trolling, let's see if we can agree on 2 things:

1) the purpose of an off speed pitch is to throw off batter's timing
2) all things being equal, the faster a pitch is coming in, the harder it is to hit

If you don't agree with these universal truths, there's no point in continuing.
MaxPower
Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

If you honestly believe they knew every pitch then you've actually proven the cheating didn't matter or impact the game. Do you know why or do I have to spell it out for you? Because they apparently did it for an entire season, thousands of pitches and weren't any better than they were the next season when they weren't doing it anymore or the season after that. They weren't any better at home than on the road.
Flexbone
Aggies2009 said:

Flexbone said:

Alta said:

Then why are you spending so many posts trying to convince people to not look down on the one little title the Astros won*?

Where have I once said that? I don't give a damn what the people on this thread discounting it think. The very fact they're here doing so says everything.
MaxPower
Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

Aggies2009 said:

MaxPower said:

You made the assertion that the banging lines up "almost" every time for a slider. I guess that's you actually admitting they didn't know all the time. Carry on with your ridiculous blabbering.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
03_Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

It's such a ridiculous take that everyone needs you to state it twice.
03_Aggie
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

03_Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

Yes it's terrible "because I think so".

All this time and that's the best rebuttal these self proclaimed baseball prodigies can come up with.

Oh, and, "they wouldn't have done it if it didn't work."
SquirrellyDan
AG
https://twitter.com/olinbuchanan/status/1229147969733177350?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1229147969733177350&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F53%2Ftopics%2F3072405%2F150

"Righteous indignation" is the right term for all these pearl clutching stros haters.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
03_Aggie said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

03_Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

03_Aggie said:

Yes it's terrible "because I think so".

All this time and that's the best rebuttal these self proclaimed baseball prodigies can come up with.

Oh, and, "they wouldn't have done it if it didn't work."

Please clarify your opinion that it doesn't benefit the batter if he knows an offspead pitch is coming.
03_Aggie
investorAg83 said:

03_Aggie said:

Assuming you really are an idiot and not just trolling, let's see if we can agree on 2 things:

1) the purpose of an off speed pitch is to throw off batter's timing
2) all things being equal, the faster a pitch is coming in, the harder it is to hit

If you don't agree with these universal truths, there's no point in continuing.

Sure. There's also a multitude of other reasons for mixing off speed, breaking and multiple types of fastballs. Changing speeds is simply one element.

Like I posted earlier, an MLB pitcher stayed tipping pitches is one thing but batters still have to hit the pitch (I.e. they may know what's coming but that doesn't mean they can hit it).

There's also a post of a pitcher throwing the same pitch 24 times in a row to the heart of one of the best offenses in baseball. Results? 4 Ks and two weak pop flies. Batters knew what was coming and still couldn't do anything about it.

Then there's Bellinger in the WS. The guy knew every at bat was going to filled with inside breaking balls and...nada.

Now, like I asked before, show me this obvious, guaranteed great benefit in knowing what pitch is coming.....I'll continue to wait patiently.
annie88
AG
I've had enough of this *****

So overblown.

Those who ate the Astros and don't want to support them **** off.

Those who do, a new season approaches.

Get the **** over it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
annie88 said:

So overblown.

Get the **** over it.

You may not want to tune in this season then. It's not going away.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

annie88 said:

So overblown.

Get the **** over it.

As long as the Astros continue winning, you're probably right. Can't wait!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

annie88 said:

So overblown.

Get the **** over it.

As long as the Astros continue winning, you're probably right. Can't wait!

Honestly, if they lose, it will probably be even worse.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's overblown that the Astros were cheating their asses off in their WS Season? I think most people not in Houston would disagree.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Ranger #007 said:

It's overblown that the Astros were cheating their asses off in their WS Season? I think most people not in Houston would disagree.

Maybe it's not overblown, but where is the anger and coverage about other teams that have been caught multiple times and also won a ws?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
On a thread about the Astros? On a board dominated by Astros and Rangers fans? Yeah, the Astros are front and center. Like I posted on this thread, if the Red Sox don't get at least what the Astros did it's absurd. I can't control what they do about the Yankees (who didn't wins WS).
SquirrellyDan
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.