Astros = CHEATERS

156,425 Views | 1481 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggies2009
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's amazing that fake news have infiltrated sports too
TexasRebel
AG
It's not fake news.

I'll bet every one of the Astros players own a TV.
Danny Vermin
No matter what happens the entire sports world knows that 2017 "title" was not legitimate and it will always be severely tainted.
03_Aggie
ORAggieFan said:

ontheedge said:

Ignorant thread. Original Texas team won the WS in 2017, get over it.

It's ignorant to talk about a massive cheating scandal that will result in punishment? What exactly is ignorant about this? Do you know what that word means?

It isn't massive. That's just what you, and the writers, want it to be. The Red Sox were actually busted during the 2017 season using electronic devices to steal and relay signals. It was not a massive scandal.
ORAggieFan
03_Aggie said:

ORAggieFan said:

ontheedge said:

It's ignorant to talk about a massive cheating scandal that will result in punishment? What exactly is ignorant about this? Do you know what that word means?

It isn't massive. That's just what you, and the writers, want it to be. The Red Sox were actually busted during the 2017 season using electronic devices to steal and relay signals. It was not a massive scandal.

So now we're arguing over how big of a cheating incident this is?

It's much bigger than the Red Sox incident and the punishment will show it.
03_Aggie
ORAggieFan said:

03_Aggie said:

ORAggieFan said:

ontheedge said:

So now we're arguing over how big of a cheating incident this is?

It's much bigger than the Red Sox incident and the punishment will show it.

First it hasn't been proven they've done anything. if it is proven, it won't be some massive scandal. Not sure why you think it would be any bigger than the Red Sox.
Silent For Too Long
Wow. The people of Arlington are so desperate for this to be a bigger deal then it is.

MLB knew teams were doing this. The Astros will get a slap on the wrist and life will go on.

The Astros will still be spanking dat ass for years to come. Ya'll are almost as sad as the Dems praying for impeachment because you know your team can't beat the Astros between the chalk lines.
Silent For Too Long
Danny Vermin said:

No matter what happens the entire sports world knows that 2017 "title" was not legitimate and it will always be severely tainted.

Lol.

Keeping praying, buddy.
Tastybrisket10
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Wow. The people of Arlington are so desperate for this to be a bigger deal then it is.

MLB knew teams were doing this. The Astros will get a slap on the wrist and life will go on.

If MLB knew everyone was doing this then why is Houston the only one getting the slap on the wrist? Also pretty sure outside of Texags in every neutral source I've read I haven't seen anyone defending Houston so pretty sure it's not just an "Arlington" thing...but at least it will make for a great motivational hashtag for Houston next year!
BMX Bandit
So what's that picture supposed to show?
03_Aggie
BMX Bandit said:

So what's that picture supposed to show?

Altuve running in to get signs between pitches in his at bat. Duh.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Astros fans desperately want to paint this a TEX v HOU or NYY v HOU thing, in reality its MLB v HOU. Need to wait and see what the investigation reveals but a lot of bad evidence is coming out and not much good. We'll see.
94chem
2020. Steal It Back.
astros4545
AG
agproducer said:

The picture proves nothing. It could be the place where players review video to prepare for at bats and review game plans. There are two chairs there, and Altuve may have just reviewed video. iPads are now prevelant in dugouts for that. Back in 2017, as far as I know, teams weren't using iPads in dugouts or clubhouses.

Or like when the manager is waiting on whether he should challenge a call or not
Proposition Joe
astros4545 said:

agproducer said:

The picture proves nothing. It could be the place where players review video to prepare for at bats and review game plans. There are two chairs there, and Altuve may have just reviewed video. iPads are now prevelant in dugouts for that. Back in 2017, as far as I know, teams weren't using iPads in dugouts or clubhouses.

Or like when the manager is waiting on whether he should challenge a call or not

I'd say it's more likely the former than the latter.

I have to assume the guy who handles challenges is in a less rag-tag setup than that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
than*
irish pete ag06
AG
Tastybrisket10 said:

If MLB knew everyone was doing this then why is Houston the only one getting the slap on the wrist? Also pretty sure outside of Texags in every neutral source I've read I haven't seen anyone defending Houston so pretty sure it's not just an "Arlington" thing...but at least it will make for a great motivational hashtag for Houston next year!

Ag_07
AG
And here we are into week 2 of this and yet we've heard nothing from MLB.

If it was such an open and shut, definitive evidence is everywhere type scenario that all these internet/Twitter sleuths claim don't you think we'd have heard something by now.

Truth is it's not that at all. It's complicated and seeing how widespread it is MLB has to be strategic in how they handle this.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

If it was such an open and shut, definitive evidence is everywhere type scenario that all these internet/Twitter sleuths claim don't you think we'd have heard something by now.

Truth is it's not that at all. It's complicated and seeing how widespread it is MLB has to be strategic in how they handle this.

Yep. Like I said in my post on the other thread, I think MLB is in a very delicate PR spot here. They have to kinda punish the Astros while kinda acknowledging a league-wide issue that was firmly addressed after the 2018 season.

To me, the real investigation should be around what happened after the new rules were implemented and MLB said enough is enough. Any team that cheated after that should be severely punished.
ORAggieFan
Ag_07 said:

They been actively interviewing a number of people. Do you expect them to comment while investigating?
CostanzaWallet
AG
Astros fans on this thread in the beginning:

• LOL butthurt losers the stros would never cheat

Astros fans on this thread now:

• Yes, we did it and it was f***ing awesome. Don't you dweebs know that using spy cams to steal signs has been part of the unwritten rules of baseball since time immemorial?
Deluxe
AG
Strawmanning
Ag_07
AG
No I just think it's not the clear cut smoking gun situation everyone thinks it is.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

No I just think it's not the clear cut smoking gun situation everyone thinks it is.

Yep. It's being presented as an Astros issue for a variety of reasons but even Rosenthal/Drellich, who desperately want to see the Astros go down, acknowledge in their articles that it's a very complex issue that involves many teams. It also involves a league that took action after the 2018 season on this very subject. Don't get me wrong, the Astros are clearly culpable but this story doesn't end at "Astros cheat, Astros bad".

Investigation is going to take a while and figuring out the best PR response might take even longer.
irish pete ag06
AG
Tastybrisket10 said:

Deluxe
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Tastybrisket10 said:

It's sort of a Yankee fan wet dream right now. The story centers around their current rival who KO'd them the two of the last three years (Astros). Their historical rival is also involved (Red Sox/Cora). And the annoying team across town might also be involved (Mets/Beltran).

But yea. There's a reason McCann walked signs out to the mound in the 2017 ALCS at Yankee Stadium. And I highly doubt the first time Beltran heard of advanced sign stealing tactics was in Houston. Who did they play for the years before?
irish pete ag06
AG
This is steroids all over again. Everybody was doing it. Some more than others. League lazily tried to remedy it in the shadows. Bunch of whistle blowers come out years later.
Nino Brown
Literally the funniest thing in the media since the steroid era. MLB late to catch on go something 80 percent of the league is doing but let's push a big story because one guy got his balls hurt that he wasn't resigned.

And the whistling incident that wasn't proved by the MLB. Ty Cobb is turning in his grave that the Yankees cried that someone may be whistling from the dugout if a pitcher is tipping his pitches.

Losers are also crying about doing their best(or that they were cheated), winners go home and **** the prom queen. Can't imagine how much **** would of been thrown into the media had the Astros won again.

One thing is for sure, if the Astros and their young core are punished then the "Who's your daddy" is the Yankees and MLB to all of you guys based on the low TV ratings and nothing more.
Proposition Joe
Says the guy who posted that he thinks Fiers was "paid off".

Good grief. Some of you must really be straining your back with all the goal-tending and conspiracy theories about the big bad Yankees/Rangers/RedSox/Media/RedsPitcher/AthleticsPitcher just being out to get you. You aren't as relevant as you think you are.

Is the media bumping the story a bit? Sure... It's the off-season, and it's an ongoing investigation... and it probably doesn't help that your franchise penned a smear piece on one of it's members regarding the Taubman incident.

Oh, and the irony of the poor Astros crying foul to the same media that their now-fired-president used to try and shift the perception of the Astros/Rangers hurricane series to "Rangers hate hurricane victims!" instead of what he later admitted was simply about keeping the schedule in their favor.

For those Astros fans taking the stance of "eh, don't care - got title" -- kudos to you -- that's a stance I think most logical fans can acknowledge.

The rest of you just look real silly.
Deluxe
AG
Proposition Joe said:

For those Astros fans taking the stance of "eh, don't care - got title" -- kudos to you -- that's a stance I think most logical fans can acknowledge.

The rest of you just look real silly.
I'm an Astros fan and I don't think "eh don't care, got title". I care alot about this issue, but I also want to understand the full context before making my judgments.

If we were one of many teams MLB suspected of employing this tactic back in 2017 and we stopped when MLB implemented its firm/clarifying rules before the 2019 season, I don't think there's much to see here. Maybe a fine and/or an lost draft pick because the Astros are now the poster-children for the tactic.

If we were the only team that employed this tactic back in 2017 and we continued to do so in 2019 after MLB implemented the new rules, then we deserve whatever punishment is thrown our way.

There's obviously alot of gray in between those cases and hopefully we'll have more context soon enough. In the meantime, there will be plenty of non-Astros fans exaggerating guilt and Astros fans conjuring up conspiracy theories.
Nino Brown
Yes it is indeed weird since you're too stupid to realize all teams steal signs. Even more troublesome is that you narrowed it down to exactly that many teams....lol, jackass. One can easily look at your post history and see that you spend the majority of your time on Entertainment....shocking
Know Your Enemy
AG
I completely forgot I started this thread. Hope you dummies have had fun arguing.
the last of the bohemians
Fake news reports something bad about somebody or something it has an agenda against = rush to judgement before knowing actual facts= same crap from media , different day....and people keep falling for this time after time....rinse repeat
Silent For Too Long
94chem said:

2020. Steal It Back.

That's funny stuff.

Chem is the only Arlington poster with a good sense of humor. Kudos.
Silent For Too Long
lda6339 said:

Astros fans desperately want to paint this a TEX v HOU or NYY v HOU thing, in reality its MLB v HOU. Need to wait and see what the investigation reveals but a lot of bad evidence is coming out and not much good. We'll see.

In reality its MLB versus every team that may have been bending the rules a bit, which was likely most of the contenders.

I have no problem with anyone wanting legitimate investigation of the mlb culture that possibly lead many teams to do this.

It's the morons like Vermin that only want to focus o the Astros that are worthy of ridicule.

Again, the bottom line is any team found guilty will be slapped on the wrist and life will go on.

The Astros will still be the team to beat in the AL. The 2017 World Series will still be awesome. And Arlington will never win anything of consequnce.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.