Astros = CHEATERS

156,400 Views | 1481 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggies2009
Flexbone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

You're still here not caring? Pathetic. Can we please have the name of your firm so that we never accidentally hire someone with such a complete lack of self awareness. Can't be helpful.

Let's all translate this board to real life. Absolutely genius reasoning by you.
tjack16
AG
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-astros-cheating/id1116491351?i=1000467435272

This is a really good nonbiased podcast about it. It goes in depth on whether or not it actually helped
Aggies2009
AG
Ranger #007 said:

It was a decent discussion, but we're pretty much on round 12 of the same arguments. No minds have been changed. Almost everyone's been called a moron. So TexAgs business as usual.
So Astros fans succeeded in deflecting discussion away from their team lying and cheating and onto other teams/posters.
Aggies2009
AG
tjholley16 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-astros-cheating/id1116491351?i=1000467435272

This is a really good nonbiased podcast about it. It goes in depth on whether or not it actually helped
Thanks. I'll give it a listen.

Whether it "helped" or not, the intent to cheat was there. I've said many times that the Astros didn't need to cheat to be one of the best teams that year (or any of the past few years). Making it even more disappointing that they did so.
tjack16
AG
Aggies2009 said:

tjholley16 said:

Thanks. I'll give it a listen.

Whether it "helped" or not, the intent to cheat was there. I've said many times that the Astros didn't need to cheat to be one of the best teams that year (or any of the past few years). Making it even more disappointing that they did so.

That's the most disappointing thing to me as an Astros fan. Our team was good enough to win without cheating. But they did.
bigcat22
AG
Pretty good trolling but the Braves

https://instagr.am/p/B9mHd8PhnLa
BMX Bandit
lda6339 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Will be as successful as the cases against the NFL for the missed PI call last year.

Or when Spurs were sued for resting players.

Bookmark this I will!

Thanks for the bookmark!

Case dismissed

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Baseball-fantasy-players-lawsuit-Astros-dismissed-15177053.php
diehard03
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/astros/2020/04/02/aj-hinch-jeff-luhnow-suspensions-fulfilled-2020-even-season-canceled/5111884002/

Ball don't lie?
Al Bula
AG
I only check this thread once a week or so. It is AMAZING how much real estate the Astros are living in rent free in their haters' heads.

Not surprising though. In tough times, it is common to lash out at things like a toddler. It is something women do on the regular.
rgag12
AG
Aggies2009
AG
rgag12 said:

They're all just Rangers fans! The Astros live rent free in their heads!

Oh wait.
MaxPower
They won. They can talk all the smack they want, they earned it.
Aggies2009
AG
Yep
SquirrellyDan
AG
MaxPower said:

They won. They can talk all the smack they want, they earned it.

They absolutely won. Probably one of the most improbable WS winners of all time. Not a single game was won by the home team. Astros had game 7 won if not for a crazy bloop opposite field HR off a great pitch. Regardless, Nats played a hell of a series and absolutely deserved to win.

That being said, go Stros.

Aggies2009
AG
The Nats also needed some trickery for the Wild Card Play-In game late. Then late in game 5 against the Dodgers the grand slam after the comeback. Crazy postseason!
Aggies2009
Beat40
Anyone here listen the Ben Reiter's podcast "The Edge: Houston Astros" in its entirety?

Curious everyone's thoughts.
Aggies2009
AG
Wonder what it'll be like with fans in the stands this season.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Aggies2009 said:

My guess is the Astros are still better than the Rangers
cc10106
Tears. So many tears.
Aggies2009
AG
j_davis01 said:

Aggies2009 said:

My guess is the Astros are still better than the Rangers
High bar you're setting there.
Aggies2009
AG
Apparently stadium staff are mockingly banging on trash cans now.
bek.90
AG
Beat40 said:

Anyone here listen the Ben Reiter's podcast "The Edge: Houston Astros" in its entirety?

Does he talk about the other teams implicated, but not made public, in the investigation by MLB? Does he talk abut the fact that The Red Sox and Yankees were both caught doing the exact same thing a year or two before the Astros, with nothing more but a slap on the wrist? Did he discuss the hypocrisy that is MLB? I have not listened to it, but if he doesn't discuss these things, it's not worth listening to.
jr15aggie
AG
jr15aggie said:

Me and my friends/family not giving a single F***, still enjoying the 2017 World Champion Houston Astros!

Let's go back to my post on page 3 from 2019. Now I've given this some very serious thought and after a lot of time spent contemplating ............. actually no.......... I've given it no thought at all! 2017 World Series Champions, pour me another, the party is still going!!!!! I have no cares to spare!!!!!!!!!!
Aggies2009
AG
bek.90 said:

Beat40 said:

Does he talk about the other teams implicated, but not made public, in the investigation by MLB? Does he talk abut the fact that The Red Sox and Yankees were both caught doing the exact same thing a year or two before the Astros, with nothing more but a slap on the wrist? Did he discuss the hypocrisy that is MLB? I have not listened to it, but if he doesn't discuss these things, it's not worth listening to.

Whataboutism is amazing.
Post removed:
by user
Aggies2009
AG
jayelbee said:

bek.90 said:

Beat40 said:

Yes he touches on other teams. It's a pretty good listen. You do get about an hour of Lunhow professing his innocense, but he also calls out Jim Crane for being a dick bag and selling everyone out.
Oof
AustinAg2K
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ex-mlb-catcher-erik-kratz-rockie-astros-sign-stealing-scheme-2018-mlb-234653785.html

Rockies basically did the same thing as the Astros. Just more confirmation of what we all know. Teams were just upset the Astros were more successful at what everyone was/is doing.
Aggies2009
AG
Which raises a few questions...

1. Are teams still doing it? I'd bet they are.

2. Does "other teams do it" justify the cheating? In the steroid era, guys did it just because they knew if they didn't that they'd fall behind.

3. Is this the real reason the MLB didn't come down hard on the Astros? Cause they knew half the league was doing it?

4. Why haven't the Astros filed a lawsuit? They could easily argue they were targeted.
JWinTX
AustinAg2K said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ex-mlb-catcher-erik-kratz-rockie-astros-sign-stealing-scheme-2018-mlb-234653785.html

Rockies basically did the same thing as the Astros. Just more confirmation of what we all know. Teams were just upset the Astros were more successful at what everyone was/is doing.

The Astros mistake was beating the Yankees twice in the LCS. It gets the MLB powers all upset when the golden goose can't lay any eggs..
AustinAg2K
Aggies2009 said:

2. Does "other teams do it" justify the cheating? In the steroid era, guys did it just because they knew if they didn't that they'd fall behind.

3. Is this the real reason the MLB didn't come down hard on the Astros? Cause they knew half the league was doing it?

4. Why haven't the Astros filed a lawsuit? They could easily argue they were targeted.
1. I bet they are still doing some level of sign stealing, but it's probably not done the same way. They've probably figured out some manor of stealing signs that they can claim doesn't break existing rules.

2. I wouldn't necessarily say it justifies the Astros. Astros definitely cheated. I think the punishment fit the crime, though.

3. I would argue they did come down pretty hard. The new GM has not been impressive. The League didn't take the WS away, though, because they know every WS winner for the past 50 years has been doing something illegal. Sign stealing, steroids, scuffing balls, etc. It's a precedent they don't want to start. BTW, here's a SI article from 2018 that mentions the Dodgers installed cameras to specifically steal signs (https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/02/surveillance-cameras-sign-stealing-baseball-dodgers-astros ). For some reason, Dodger fans seem to ignore it.

4. Probably just want to put it behind them. In a couple more years, it will be totally forgotten.
Aggies2009
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Aggies2009 said:

1. I bet they are still doing some level of sign stealing, but it's probably not done the same way. They've probably figured out some manor of stealing signs that they can claim doesn't break existing rules.

2. I wouldn't necessarily say it justifies the Astros. Astros definitely cheated. I think the punishment fit the crime, though.

3. I would argue they did come down pretty hard. The new GM has not been impressive. The League didn't take the WS away, though, because they know every WS winner for the past 50 years has been doing something illegal. Sign stealing, steroids, scuffing balls, etc. It's a precedent they don't want to start. BTW, here's a SI article from 2018 that mentions the Dodgers installed cameras to specifically steal signs (https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/02/surveillance-cameras-sign-stealing-baseball-dodgers-astros). For some reason, Dodger fans seem to ignore it.

4. Probably just want to put it behind them. In a couple more years, it will be totally forgotten.

Good stuff.

I think they're definitely still stealing signs. Similar to how the foreign substance stuff evolved. From pine tar to some sort of substance (boiling coca cola or something?) that apparently umpires and the league can't detect, since they're taking balls and randomly checking them now. But guys accused of using foreign substance have continued their high spin rates.

If you haven't read the book Game of Shadows, it's a good one. In addition to laying out all sorts of evidence against Barry Bonds, it does paint in him a somewhat sympathetic light. Basically he had to take steroids simply because everyone else was and he'd get left behind if he didn't.

I don't know that it'll be forgotten until a lot of those players are gone, especially to the Yankee/Dodger fans.
wbt5845
AG
As always, don't confuse issues.

1. Everyone tries to steal signs. That isn't against the rules.

2. Teams agreed to NOT use remote cameras and other electronic means to try and steal signs in order to speed the game up. With no one on base, catchers could then just use shorter sign sequences without fear of stealing. THAT'S the rule the Astros broke.

3. There are quite a few Astros players who look a lot more average now. It isn't a coincidence.
bearkatag15
AG
wbt5845 said:

3. There are quite a few Astros players who look a lot more average now. It isn't a coincidence.
Which Astros look average these days?

I can name 2, Marwin Gonzalez and Carlos Correa, both of which had their best seasons in 2017... other than that, pretty much everyone else has been as good or better in 2018, 2019 and so far this year.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beat40
wbt5845 said:

As always, don't confuse issues.

1. Everyone tries to steal signs. That isn't against the rules.

2. Teams agreed to NOT use remote cameras and other electronic means to try and steal signs in order to speed the game up. With no one on base, catchers could then just use shorter sign sequences without fear of stealing. THAT'S the rule the Astros broke.

1. Obviously everyone agrees stealing signs isn't against the rules.

2. The point is other teams ALSO broke that rule. Evidenced by Red Sox the year after. The argument is a lot to other teams we're doing it after the agreement and it all got hung around the Astros. It doesn't absolve the Astros - they cheated and paid a price. However, the high horse attitude from other fans is sure annoying since you will never know if your team participated or not since Manfred didn't have the guts to investigate it all. Why don't the Yankees STILL want that letter unsealed?

3. Which "quite a few" Astros look a lot more average now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.