*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,261 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Btw, watching H&S tonight, in IMAX. Will report back.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm actually surprised if he was gonna do this, he didn't attach it to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Two guys trying to preserve the theater experience.

Especially since, ten years ago, the Inception trailer debuted with Inglorious Basterds roughly the same time of year.
PatAg
AG
I think you are underestimating both the stupidity, and the lack of shame of politicians and most media
If he puts the trailer out, they will use it and twist to fit whatever narrative they want.
A couple more days and the next outrage cycle should start though. They have bills to pay too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got the trailer. So sick. Nolan trailers in IMAX are something else.

The footage looks like it's reversed, btw.
TCTTS
AG
At first I was all...

And then I was all...

But then I was like...

And finally...

TCTTS
AG
Mostly I like it because it supports my week-from-Thursday guess on the previous page.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Are you a software engineer?
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point, re: the enjoyment of trying to figure out just the title. It's so fun.

I posted this a few pages back, but it's worth not losing site of the meaning of the word as well...

Quote:

tenet
noun
te-net

Definition of tenet
: a principle, belief, or doctrine generally held to be true
especially : one held in common by members of an organization, movement, or profession

In light of your post, this bit, especially, takes on new meaning: "doctrine generally held to be true." There's definitely some kind of true/false, black/white, 1/0 thing going on. It's kind of crazy how well a single english word can encompass all the meaning Nolan could possibly want in a title/movie like this...
bobinator
AG
I called secret Bond movie on page 4 so I'm sticking with it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
01101110 01101001 01100011 01100101
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

Haven't read any posts in this thread in a long time since I'm purposely avoiding it and any other third party speculation/information, but wanted to share a theory I've been working on about the meaning of the title:

Quote:

TENET is obviously a palindrome made out of the word "TEN." So TENET represented numerically (10 forwards and backwards and overlapping) is 101. Spelling it out for clarity, the two key distinct words that make up the title would be represented numerically as:

TEN equals 10.
TENET equals 101.

1 and 0 can be interpreted as the 2 Boolean Logical states of TRUE (1) and FALSE (0). It can also be ON (1) and OFF (0) or the extreme ends of a grayscale in WHITE (1) and BLACK (0). Each state could also said to be 180 degrees different from its opposite.

Quote:

1 and 0 are also the only digits in the binary numeral system. We can do some simple conversions between binary and decimal with our numerical title components, 10 and 101:

10 in Base 2 equals 2 in Base 10.

101 in Base 2 equals 5 in Base 10.

Now imagine that we're constantly alternating between two distinct states that we defined above. In one complete 360 degree rotation, what's BLACK is WHITE is BLACK again and what's TRUE is FALSE is TRUE again. If we use three digits, our two numerical title components also represent this: 010 and 101 (both also palindromes).

Quote:

So, what does all of this add up to? Here's the math:

010 in Base 2 plus 101 in Base 2 equals 111 in Base 2.

111 in Base 2 equals (using three digits) 007 in Base 10.

If anybody was doubting that this is Nolan's 007 movie, that literally translates in binary to 111 (or TRUE TRUE TRUE).

I know that by itself that all of this would seem like a stretch, but it does possibly explain a lot of what's going on right now at the official movie site.

The TENET teaser trailer first aired with selected Hobbs & Shaw screenings at 7:00 pm EDT last Thursday. I've been wondering when it was going to drop online and my predicted drop time is 007 days from its first theatrical screening, which would of course be 7:00 pm EDT this Thursday. Now, if it doesn't drop at that time that doesn't mean that all of the above is FALSE, but if it does then I just might be on to something...

TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Less than half an hour until the trailer has been in theaters for exactly one week (7 PM ET) and we find out if our released-online-at-that-point theory is true or not...
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Where did you see OUATIH in IMAX?
bearamedic99
AG
So, any updated guesses on when the trailer will be released to social media?
TCTTS
AG
Maybe never. One of the very first rumors, right as the teaser was debuting in theaters, was that it was literally an IMAX exclusive to the point where we'd never even see it online. But since then, as of this weekend, it at least started playing with certain showings of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and has debuted in general UK cinemas as well. So it's no longer and IMAX exclusive. But at this point, not even the trailer "experts"/insiders know what's going on with it. We could never see it online or we could see it online tomorrow.

Over the past few years, there have been a handful trailers that debuted in theaters first and were then online a week or two later. I've never heard of one being a theater exclusive for more than two weeks (it'll be two weeks this Thursday), though, and have especially never seen one not ever released online. That said, Nolan HAS done something somewhat similar with the releases of the prologues for both TDK and TDKR, which were true IMAX exclusives and were never released online. But those were five-minute sequences that came with with major, preceding press releases, etc. This is a less-than-a-minute trailer that was a huge surprise with no fanfare whatsoever. It makes no sense why it isn't online yet. Especially since these next three weeks or so are basically the most dead three weeks of the entire year, theatrically. I just don't understand the insistence that it remain a theater exclusive over this stretch - of all stretches - if that is, indeed, the plan.
TCTTS
AG
So... the teaser officially released in multiple countries today with non-IMAX movies. In other words, it's basically playing everywhere that matters now. And tomorrow will mark the two-week point of it playing in IMAX in the US. The longest I've ever seen a trailer remain a theater exclusive is two weeks, and I can only think of a couple of times that's ever happened. In other words, tomorrow is the absolute last day I'm holding out hope for this thing ever being online...
double aught
AG
The sooner you let this go, the sooner you can begin to heal.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
There was totally room up there, Rose.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, nice. Wasn't a huge fan of the movie itself, but I thought he was great. Good to see him getting work like this.
TCTTS
AG
The text isn't in English, but we finally have a relatively high quality, non-theater-cam version of the teaser...

AgHawkeye
AG
TCTTS said:

The text isn't in English, but we finally have a relatively high quality, non-theater-cam version of the teaser...

Classic Nolan. No freakin clue what that's about. Maybe I could read the text??
Ag-Hawkeye

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.