*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,311 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Um wow. That was some of the most ambitious filmmaking I have ever seen. The inversion stuff is beautifully shot and is some of the most mesmerizing scenes I have seen in a film. The movie isn't nearly as confusing when you focus on it being a good guy trying to stop a bad guy. I tried not to get too caught up in some of the details and I think that Helped a lot.

Worth it
Bunk Moreland
Oh and let me add...I absolutely understand why Nolan fought for this to be released in the theater... And not even at drive ins tbh.

I can't even imagine the difference in trying to watch this at home vs a theater, at least upon first viewing. We'd all be reaching for our phones or looking for distractions instead of just taking it in.

If you do have to see it first at home go lock your phone in a different room and isolate yourself in darkness and surround sound.
Saxsoon
AG
Agreed dialogue was difficult to track at times, especially accented characters.

The final set piece, hot damn. I don't even want to know how he pulled that off. It frankly makes him crashing a 747 in real life seem small
Decay
AG
Saxsoon said:

Agreed dialogue was difficult to track at times, especially accented characters.

The final set piece, hot damn. I don't even want to know how he pulled that off. It frankly makes him crashing a 747 in real life seem small
RadAg14
AG
fightinags2013
AG
Saw it in Plano tonight.

Very impressive. If you typically like Nolan, you'll love it. Visually spectacular as expected. It "clicked" a little better for me about 2/3 of the way through. Made for great conversation on the way home about plot points, hints sprinkled in that become clear later.

Overall- it was so great to be back in the theatre. Never going to take that for granted again.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, love it. Will do.
TCTTS
AG
Incredible. You're going to have the entire movie memorized by the time I finally get to see it for myself.
Decay
AG
"I took extensive notes on my second viewing" is probably not the best movie poster quote... But damn am I excited to see it. Gotta find the time on my end, though.
hunter2012
AG
Yeah... ya'll need to see it. I think I know the basic plot and that's with the third act blowing my mind and requiring a second viewing(and possibly more to fully appreciate). Nolan's application of time here is entirely new to cinema, the only thing that I can recall that comes close to the concept is Primer. Yeah that movie... Buckle up Buckaroos.

Also I second the sound issues, I'll definitely be watching it with captions when it hits home video(my only gripe of the movie).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw it last night in the Dolby Cinema auditorium that I refer to as the "butt-rumbler". That auditorium is always loud, overly so in some cases. So that did prevent me from hearing a lot of the dialogue, and as a result I had some difficulty tracking WTF was going on, who was who, etc. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie. Visually it was fantastic. The characters were engaging despite that I could not tell you any of their names.

There was a lot of hype over this movie. Understandable, given who directed it, but for me the hype was focused more on what the movie represents - a return to normalcy. It was great to go to the theater for a new movie (I'd gone in recent weeks to see both The Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future). As for the hype of the movie itself, I'd say it doesn't live up to expectations. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, and to be fair, I've seen it but once; I had a similar reaction to Interstellar, for instance.

Nolan is like Spielberg circa 1975-1993 for me - he is must see, no matter the subject matter of his movies. I'm a WWII nut, so of course Dunkirk was an awesome movie for me to watch. I also love science fiction. Interstellar is a fantastic movie that I rank as top-3 science fiction movies of all time (although it took months to get to that assessment - I saw it on the day the Ags played #3 Auburn, was certain A&M would lose so that's why I was at the theater, got out of the movie and the AMC has a bar area with a TV, where the game was still on, and when I got over there and got a look at the score, I immediately forgot literally everything about Interstellar; it was not until I got that movie on BR that I was able to fully immerse myself in that one).

I'd rank Nolan's movies as Interstellar, The Dark Knight, Dunkirk, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, and Tenet. I've seen The Prestige but recall absolutely nothing about it, and I've not seen any of his earlier works. Gotta fix that.
Bunk Moreland
right now, my always fluid Nolan ranking is as follows:

1. The Prestige
2. Dunkirk
3. Interstellar
4. Tenet
5. Batman Begins
6. Inception
7. The Dark Knight
8. Memento
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Insomnia
11. Following
Decay
AG
Y'all are underrating Inception. I love the parallels between movies and dreams. It blew me away the first time I saw it and Leo is saying "how did you get right here, right now?" and it clicked that I accepted it the same way she accepted it. After that you unlock a whole second layer of the movie... just like the concept of Inception itself.

Damn this guy makes good movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got my IMAX tickets for Friday 6 pm.
Malachi Constant
AG
Decay said:

Y'all are underrating Inception. I love the parallels between movies and dreams. It blew me away the first time I saw it and Leo is saying "how did you get right here, right now?" and it clicked that I accepted it the same way she accepted it. After that you unlock a whole second layer of the movie... just like the concept of Inception itself.

I love this, Can you please expand? I assume you're talking about his conversation with Ariadne being a stand-in for his conversation with the audience?

The parallel is Ariadne is in a dream and the audience is at the movie theater. How they (the audience) accept their place (the theater) is the same as how Ariadne accepted her place (the dream).
TCTTS
AG

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/01/coronavirus-tenet-and-mulan-arrive-this-labor-day-weekend.html
toucan82
I made the mistake of looking up at some clouds after I watched this last night and my brain almost exploded
FancyKetchup14
AG
Would you happen to know if they're reshowing Interstellar anywhere in TX on 70mm?

Edit: nvm doesn't look like it is
Decay
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Decay said:

I love this, Can you please expand? I assume you're talking about his conversation with Ariadne being a stand-in for his conversation with the audience?

The parallel is Ariadne is in a dream and the audience is at the movie theater. How they (the audience) accept their place (the theater) is the same as how Ariadne accepted her place (the dream).
For sure, you're on the right track. Like, when the scene starts you as a moviegoer don't immediately ask "what is this street, this cafe? How did they get there?" Since you're watching a movie, you tend to go along with it and discover along the way what's going on, just like dreams. So that's what Cobb is saying to Ariadne, that you just perceive it as normal.

But if you start looking for that relationship between the movie and dreams they play with you a lot. Lots of nightmares show up, sometimes when the characters are under and sometimes awake. Drowning. Getting claustrophobic and feeling crushed (Mozambique chase scene). Get shot, get stabbed. Fall down an elevator or out of a balcony or a window, or hanging onto a rope that just lets go. Hell even getting blown up or run over by a train.

Meanwhile you're focusing on the dreams and movies connection, and you start to see there's a whole other side as a meta-commentary about movies themselves. Because Cobb is also describing movies you look for ways Inception describes movies. Buckle up.

Everyone in the movie is playing the parts of making a movie. They have to find an actor, Eames, who can assume someone else's role. A director, Cobb, who can coordinate everything (and is handsome and leans on Michael Caine all the time). Arthur is the producer... I don't really know what they do in movies but I assume it's a bunch of dirty work since he's metaphorically trying to wrangle the entire process by literally fighting dudes on the ground and ceiling while the whole world tumbles. You got your the bigwig moneybags paying for everything and you have to convince them that this thing is gonna work. Ariadne is kinda the audience stand-in but she's also like the set designer actually building the place. And Yusef is the guy that gives everyone drugs to get the thing done? Camera guy I guess?

Anyway it opens up a whole pile of references, like each dream is a different movie, the camera guy drinking makes a shoot go haywire, how a train rolling through might ruin a take, or alternatively Mal and the train wrecking everything represent the baggage a director carries trying to create a new story, on and on. And now I want to rewatch it again. And Tenet. Also I'll stop derailing now.
dave94
AG
Rick Dalton said:

Saw it for a fourth time tonight, which means I've now seen a total of 10 hours of Tenet. If this movie loses money and AMC goes bankrupt it won't be because of me.

Saw it for the first time last night. Still processing and have enjoyed reading all the reactions and theories. I look forward to seeing any new observations from your 4th viewing in the spoilers thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I am seriously impressed.

How many times for OUATIH?
crowag
AG
Do most theaters just give you one if you ask (regardless of if you have a hearing impairment or not) or do you have to request ahead of time? Seeing it at an AMC on Sunday. How do I get a Captiview?
TCTTS
AG
Now that early access screenings are done, who's seeing it this weekend who hasn't already? Who's seeing it again? I'm so curious what the turnout is going to be.
Wicked Good Ag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/every-single-christopher-nolan-movie-ranked-from-worst-to-best/ss-BB17ifbJ?li=BBnb2gh#image=1
Decay
AG
What's the experience like? I turn of CC unless it's a foreign film as I find it really distracting.

I almost want to watch it first time confused and bewildered and just soaking it in. I'll strap notepads onto my thighs and Captiview my second viewing I guess

Edit: I have zero free time these days so my plan is to catch a lunchtime showing. Maybe if I can find a 10AM in the next week or so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tonight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.