*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,328 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That said, if theaters close down again, I assume that would void WB having to honor the theatrical window (which is usually around 90 days from release).
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol yea it felt like I paid $20 to rent it out.

Anyways my non-spoiler review; I didn't understand the plot mechanics at all, the sound mixing made it impossible to hear a lot of dialogue, and John David Washington and Robert Pattinson basically spend 2 hrs having a charm off.....

And I had a blast. Just a kickass blockbuster movie. Can't wait to see it again (and see if I understand any of it lol)

What theater was that, the IMAX on Webb chapel rd? That looks awesome. I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of weeks.
M.C. Swag
AG
It was actually the AMC IMAX in NorthPark mall.
showtime
AG
Saw it at the IMAX at Firewheel (Garland) on Friday at 4:30. Six of us in the theatre. Glad to hear dialogue was an issue for others. I thought our speakers were just too loud, resulting in gross distortion.
Decay
AG
showtime said:

Saw it at the IMAX at Firewheel (Garland) on Friday at 4:30. Six of us in the theatre. Glad to hear dialogue was an issue for others. I thought our speakers were just too loud, resulting in gross distortion.
That was my impression. Just overdriven. I'd love to know the magical theater Nolan designed this film for. Is there some gold standard theater that can handle this?
M.C. Swag
AG
Decay said:

showtime said:

That was my impression. Just overdriven. I'd love to know the magical theater Nolan designed this film for. Is there some gold standard theater that can handle this?
Based on what I've read, this is a sound mixing problem that was done IN STUDIO. Some theatres have been proactive in adjusting their settings to help make it more clear, but 99% of theatres are playing what they were handed and the sound is as intended (unfortunately).

Remember this was also the case for the Dark Knight Rises w/Bane.
Decay
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Decay said:

showtime said:

Based on what I've read, this is a sound mixing problem that was done IN STUDIO. Some theatres have been proactive in adjusting their settings to help make it more clear, but 99% of theatres are playing what they were handed and the sound is as intended (unfortunately).

Remember this was also the case for the Dark Knight Rises w/Bane.
His studio must have unbreakable diamond tethers with gold-plated Monster cables and that giant speaker from the professor's lab in Back to the Future
NoahAg
Good movie. Appreciate how creative and unique it was. Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't hear half the dialogue.

Only complaint is the lead actor. Dude is pretty dull.
YNWA_AG
AG
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Watched it yesterday. Haven't read much through this thread yet. But my initial feeling when I left the the theater was that I was just too stupid or ADD to follow the movie. From the very beginning when she explained how inversion works with him pulling the bullet back into the gun I was lost. I just never could grasp the concept of how effect can come before cause and it made it really hard for me to enjoy this movie. Like I just couldn't ever grasp on to any of it. What's the difference between him holding his hand above a bullet and it leaping into his hand or not? Like he just thinks of it? Stupid. Or I'm stupid. Maybe both.

Cinematically it was very impressive. Particularly how they did they did stuff that I'm not supposed to talk about 35 pages into a thread on a movie that came out a month ago.

It was just all too much for my simple mind to follow.

Edit: I also couldn't understand half of what the Russian dude said.
TCTTS
AG
WTF, man, there are those of us who still haven't been able to see this yet and you just revealed a pretty major plot point in what was supposed to be a non-spoiler thread. As Rick points out, we've had a spoiler thread going for weeks now.
TCTTS
AG
Done. And no worries. It was bound to happen, being left in the dark like this, but yeah, still kind of sucks. At least I don't know the context.
M.C. Swag
AG
on the bright side, it's pretty obvious when it happens (at least it was for me. it was about the only thing i understood/predicted in the movie lol). but ya, spoilers still suck.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
TCTTS said:

WTF, man, there are those of us who still haven't been able to see this yet and you just revealed a pretty major plot point in what was supposed to be a non-spoiler thread. As Rick points out, we've had a spoiler thread going for weeks now.
Sorry. I searched and didn't see a spoiler thread. But we're 35 pages in... You're kinda asking to read something you didn't want to see at this point. I also read through a few pages before this and saw other spoilers so not sure why I'm getting called out. But I'll try to be better with the spoiler tags going forward.
TCTTS
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

TCTTS said:

Sorry. I searched and didn't see a spoiler thread. But we're 35 pages in... You're kinda asking to read something you didn't want to see at this point. I also read through a few pages before this and saw other spoilers so not sure why I'm getting called out. But I'll try to be better with the spoiler tags going forward.

I've read every post on this thread and nothing has come close to what you posted in terms of spoilers. Also, no, I'm not "asking to read something I didn't want to see at this point." The entire point of this thread now is for generic Tenet news and non-spoiler reactions. For those of us who live in a city where Tenet still isn't playing, generic news and non-spoiler reactions are all we have. Also, no need to use spoiler tags going forward, because, again, there's a spoiler thread that hasn't dropped past page two since the movie released, reserved for any and all discussion of the plot itself. I appreciate you removing the spoiler above, but blaming me in the process for continuing to read this thread is pretty lame.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I mean you're blaming me when if I were you I'd just avoid threads like these altogether and get your news from Google. Again, it's really not obvious at all that this thread is spoiler free. Nothing in the title or OP hints at that. And when I searched "TENET" this was the only thread I saw in about 20 results. Maybe the thread title or OP should state that.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know what else to tell you. This is how we've been doing it for well over a decade. There were multiple posts in this thread, the day the movie came out, reminding everyone to keep spoilers out of this thread, pointing everyone to the spoiler thread, etc. And it's not like the spoiler thread is buried 10 pages deep, either. Again, it's literally on the second page as we speak.

Either way, the entire point of the spoiler thread is so people who haven't/can't yet see the movie can continue talking about here, read people's impressions without being spoiled, etc. That, and there's no need to go to the trouble of trying to get staff's attention to rename this thread "NON SPOILER THREAD" when the other thread is literally labelled "SPOILER THREAD."

That said, it doesn't look like you post here often, so I can understand not knowing that there's almost always a separate spoiler thread for big movies. I'll give you that. But for a blockbuster that's notoriously still not playing in certain parts of the country, spoiler tags should be essential. That, and it should also be obvious that there's literally no discussion whatsoever of the plot in this thread, and hasn't been since the movie released.
Decay
AG
Ags beat UF
TCTTS
AG
WHAT???!!!
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
The entire marketing campaign has ended every trailer and TV spot with "where theaters are open" for weeks now. That, and it's a pretty well known entertainment/internet topic that movie theaters, specifically, aren't open everywhere, just like how restaurants and bars and other venues aren't open everywhere. I mean, we're in the middle of a global pandemic, one in which what is/isn't open has been one of the most discussed news topics for months. Even my 90-year-old grandma knows that movie theaters still aren't open in parts of the country.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
I honestly find that hard to believe. In fact, I would argue that the subject of which establishments are/aren't open, and to what extent, has been one of the most contentious and discussed subjects of the past 50 years. There's no way the average person doesn't know that restaurants, bars, theaters, stadiums, etc, are open in different capacities - or not open at all in many instances - throughout the country.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
You're probably right. I just assume that someone who has enough interest in entertainment to post on a entertainment measure board has a basic understanding that not all theaters are open yet, in the same way not all indoor establishments throughout the country are open yet.
Post removed:
by user
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Good Lord this thread got ruined.
TCTTS
AG
Lost 507 theaters this weekend, mostly due to Regal closures, it sounds like. With AMC and Cinemark choosing to stay open, it looks like $2M or less per weekend is its cap until NY and LA open...

Complete Idiot
First movie in a theater since February - that was nice. But I really did not enjoy this film. I've liked Nolan movies in the past but this seemed like a Nolan satire. Probably the worst aspect to me was the dialogue, and the.....I don't know what to call it, the "pacing"? of the dialogue. Just awful. Well made as far as the action sequences, but those that mentioned bad sound mixing and you couldn't hear dialogue - I am jealous.
rhutton125
AG
Good point. I saw it yesterday and liked it overall. Saw it in IMAX so I had no problem understanding the dialogue - for the most part.

The dialogue itself though was, at times, poorly written. People having robotic conversations or things like that. There are only a handful of characters in the entire film but it almost feels like there is no characterization. The dialogue exists to push things along.

For as confusing as it was, though, I followed 95% of it. I was engaged throughout but didn't bog down on certain elements. But they really could have explained some of the mechanics a lot better.

IMO, roughly in order:
Top tier: Memento / DK / Inception / Prestige
Middle tier: Batman Begins / Tenet / Dunkirk
Bottom tier: Interstellar, DKR

It's been too long since I've seen Pacino Alaska and I've never seen the Following or whatever.

Nolan's last 3 films didn't really do anything for me so I was pleased with Tenet overall.
TCTTS
AG
One month from today I finally get to watch this...

FancyKetchup14
AG
I saw this three times in theaters (rookie numbers compared to Dalton) and damn this movie is awesome. Shame you have to watch it at home TC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.