*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,175 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had to turn it off halfway through. That was infuriating. Why the f/ck are arrows and tomatoes or whatever allowed to be shot at the screen the entire time?

I'd rather wait however long it takes for the YouTube version.

JFC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess I clicked at literally the perfect moment. Seconds before it played.

I'm both intrigued and relieved that I still have no idea what's going on. But I loved that they're already teasing a huge action setpiece at the end, something I'm pretty sure we haven't seen in any trailer yet.
boogieman
AG
"You're catching the bullet"

So ready for this movie.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I had to turn it off halfway through. That was infuriating. Why the f/ck are arrows and tomatoes or whatever allowed to be shot at the screen the entire time?

I'd rather rather wait however long it takes for the YouTube version.

JFC.
You would not be the intended audience for a Fortnite promotion, haha. I imagine a youtube version will be on soon
Bunk Moreland
I rarely play video games in general but a buddy got me to get on fortnite for the Travis Scott event and it was pretty trippy and cool.

Just missed the 7pm one so gonna log in and watch it at 8
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
And the "new" poster with "COMING TO THEATERS" where "7.17.20" once was...

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Branagh sounds menacing as HELL in this trailer.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm both intrigued and relieved that I still have no idea what's going on. But I loved that they're already teasing a huge action setpiece at the end, something I'm pretty sure we haven't seen in any trailer yet.

Same. That was perfect. I feel like I only know maybe 10% more than after the last trailer, yet I'm still 100% satisfied with what I just witnessed.
TCTTS
AG
He could be a phenomenal villain.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nolan: "No. Inversion."
Me: "Is this movie about time travel?"
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Same. That was perfect. I feel like I only know maybe 10% more than after the last trailer, yet I'm still 100% satisfied with what I just witnessed.
It's like we learned 10% and then another 30% made less sense...good
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
No clue what that is all about, but it could be a movie about America's favorite old fart, reading a book in front of a fireplace, and I'd be there.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I need to watch the trailer another ten times to even wrap my head around what was being said about the time travel stuff.
TCTTS
AG
This play buys WB a lot of wiggle room. That said, if it moves, I don't think it moves to December, as experts keep speculating. I still think it ultimately ends up in October, but we'll see...

("YT" meaning YouTube)
TCTTS
AG
From a YouTube comment...

Nolan: "2019"
Interviewer: "When will the movie be postponed due to the Coronavirus outbreak?"
PatAg
AG
Entertainment Board: Already
Me: When will this joke get old?

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
No clue what that is all about, but it could be a movie about America's favorite old fart, reading a book in front of a fireplace, and I'd be there.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
So it's not going back in time and investigating something that already happened. It's going into the future, but time within that future is moving backward? Yes? No? I almost never have trouble understand time travel in movies, but this one still has me scratching my head. Anyone want to take a stab at trying to explain the basic mechanics batter, even if just a guess? Or explain why that would be advantageous for espionage/spy stuff?

Bunk Moreland
That's what I think too. Going forward in time but have to work backwards
TCTTS
AG
But why? I realize this is something the movie itself will obviously answer, I'm just trying to wrap my head around/talk through the basic concept. Does one jump to a point in time in the future, then time from that point in the future immediately starts rewinding back to the point you jumped from? Is that it?
TCTTS
AG
I don't know if that explains all the little manipulations, though, like catching the bullet in the gun while everything else is around you is normal.
Ag Since 83
AG
Looks like the video game Braid but as conceived by Nolan
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
For the first time since graduating A&M I'm going to use some knowledge I learned in a class in the real world and suggest maybe Branagh's character has the "Merlin" effect of living at least part of his life in reverse.

Dr. Whatever His Face was from Blocker Room 106 is beaming with pride somewhere right now.
TCTTS
AG
Slightly off subject, but kind of hilarious. For context, shockingly, Nolan is a huge MacGruber fan, and yes, a MacGruber series is in the works...

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Slightly off subject, but kind of hilarious. For context, shockingly, Nolan is a huge MacGruber fan, and yes, a MacGruber series is in the works...

I think its been "in the works" for a couple years, both as a movie and as a show. I would love for it to get made, but I doubt it happens.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, this is starting to make a bit more sense. From a great post on reddit...

Quote:

This movie really is dealing with entropy, or reverse entropy for that matter (no such thing in real life, though). Look at the whiteboard, it shows part of one of the Maxwell equations: dU = TdS PdV.

Basically, it is saying internal energy changes depending on entropy and volume. Now, entropy, in our universe, moves in one directionthat's just how our world works. Entropy tends to increase, says the second Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyway, as a physics major, I think this movie is dealing with reversing entropy and thus, reversing time (or rather, reversing the way things behave). If entropy is reversed, chaos becomes order (bullet and shell becoming one; shattered glass merging). Hence, JDW's saying "inversion". The flow of entropy inverted.
The inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world.

EDIT: the diagram with the blue and red arrows at the bottom is just saying if the volume increases, the entropy of the system increases.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tenet/comments/go9o8y/interesting_tidbit_in_the_background/
TCTTS
AG
That said, I still don't get how this applies to the future, or, rather, how Branagh's character can "communicate with the future" via reversing entropy. Unless, like Muck alluded to, Branagh is basically *from* the future, but living most of his life in reverse by harnessing the reverse entropy tech?
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I think its been "in the works" for a couple years, both as a movie and as a show. I would love for it to get made, but I doubt it happens.

It's happening. Peacock (NBC/Universal's new streaming service) has given it the green light. Also, a table read, which is what is referenced above, is about as close a production gets to filming. There are reports as late as last month saying it's filming in the fall, as long productions aren't shut down again do to the pandemic.
TCTTS
AG
A few more reddit comments that might help color this theory a bit...

Quote:

TENET seems to be the technology that can do 'large-scale' time inversion, not just local, and is a threat to the world. Something worse than WW3: Reverse flow of time to pre-historic times to before the birth of the universe.
Quote:

I think JDW's technology can only allow him to reverse objects like gun bullets, or even a car. But not the entire world. I think Branagh possess technology to reverse time for the entire world, which is what JDW is trying to prevent.
Quote:

(As others have said) this is probably about entropy control to simulate reverse time travel. I think the difficulty to reverse entropy is correlated to the size of the system (hence the preposterousness of manipulating a plane from the sky, but the reasonableness of manipulating a large plane on the ground).
TCTTS
AG
Noticed this too. First time I've seen a trailer do this, and I love it...

Max Power
AG
The concept of time as a weapon excites me and also makes my brain melt. I feel like I need to go frame by frame on this thing with a white board to get ready.

I hope there's a serious conversation explaining that his goal is to Benjamin Button the whole world. And that they keep using Benjamin Button as reference throughout the film, but there's no way Nolan has that much humor about his own work.

I love that he enjoys Magruber, that movie is incredible.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.