*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,169 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zimmer is easily my second favorite composer behind Williams.

With Gladiator, POTC, Dark Knight, Interstellar, Inception, Lion King, Man of Steel, and others under his belt, it's hard to argue with at this point.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Everyone knows Zimmer did not score Tenet, correct?

Its Ludwig Gransson -- who did Black Panther, Creed, The Mandalorian. Zimmer is out because he chose Dune instead.

I love Zimmer and Nolan colabs, but I am pretty excited to see what Gransson comes up with. Love the Black Panther and Mandalorian scores so much. In fact, on Disney+ Gransson is on the BTS Mandalorian show's most recent episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
John Williams is my favorite. His music often tells a story in its own right, and typically perfectly captures the moments of the on-screen action.

I do love Hans Zimmer. His earlier scores in the mid-90s are what first drew me in to his work - The Rock, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow. It was Gladiator, though, that solidified my opinion of him, that he was not just an action movie composer, but could handle anything. I love his work in the Dark Knight series, Interstellar, and Dunkirk. I'm sure I've left off a bunch of really good ones.

Jerry Goldsmith had a long career with so many damn good scores, from science fiction like Star Trek, Alien, and Planet of the Apes, to WWII in the form of Patton and Tora! Tora! Tora! that I rank among his best work. I love much of the music in films such as The Omen, Capricorn One, and the Rambo series.

James Horner produced a lot that sounded very militaristic, a sound that I've always loved. I have not one ounce of musical ability or understanding, but I think it was his use of brass ? that I really liked. Star Trek II/III, Commando, and Aliens are what I'm thinking of for the military sound, but then, he could turn around a do something like Field of Dreams.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Horner is fantastic. Titanic and Avatar are my personal favorites.

Silvestri and Shore are both great as well.

Shore composed my favorite score of all time. The only reason he isn't #2 behind Williams is because he doesn't have another major score that is nearly as iconic as LOTR, or anything else Williams or Zimmer did. Even The Hobbit scores were a huge step down.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Shore composed my favorite score of all time. The only reason he isn't #2 behind Williams is because he doesn't have another major score that is nearly as iconic as LOTR, or anything else Williams or Zimmer did. Even The Hobbit scores were a huge step down.
I was going to talk about Silvestri and Shore but felt like I was getting a bit long-winded.

My first recollection of Silvestri was with his Back to the Future scores, as well as Who Framed Roger Rabbit. More recently, I loved his work on Captain America the First Avenger, Avengers Infinity War, and Avengers Endgame. His work is bar none the best of the entire MCU.

For Shore, I used to listen to the hell out of his work on The Silence of the Lambs, but it was LOTR, particularly The Fellowship of the Ring, that won me over. The Hobbit scores had a lot of really like, but I agree they weren't on the same plane as LOTR.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.slashfilm.com/tenet-release-summer-christopher-nolan/
Malachi Constant
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.slashfilm.com/tenet-release-summer-christopher-nolan/
Imagine having this much pull on a studio as big as WB.
Bunk Moreland
If we aren't all striving to swing a dick that long, then what was it all for anyway?
Madmarttigan
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think Zimmer and Williams are my #1 and 2, but I may actually make the argument that Shore is in competition with Williams and Star Wars for having created the best score for any movie ever. It is just as you said though, he doesn't have any other notable scores anyone has paid attention to.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zimmer has released a 20th anniversary Gladiator soundtrack that's on Spotify with every single minute of the film's score on it. I am the biggest John Willams' SW worshipper there is, but Gladiator's soundtrack is unreal.
TCTTS
AG

https://ew.com/movies/christopher-nolan-tenet-cover/
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Nolan confirms the reverse entropy theory...

https://collider.com/tenet-story-time-inversion-details-christopher-nolan/
FancyKetchup14
AG
Thanks for posting these TC.

(Although I won't be reading any of it cause I want to go into this movie as dumb as possible.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
my brother and i went to see dark knight rises at star cinema grill last night. The trailer for Tenet came on and my brother, who admittedly goes to like 3 movies a year said at the end, "Oh, I thought they were showing an old trailer for Inception"
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

big fan of his, wonder what he will be in the movie
TCTTS
AG

https://io9.gizmodo.com/check-out-christopher-nolans-tenet-with-this-exclusive-1844086755
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Basically where I'm at now.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's about how I feel about college football.
John Matrix
AG
Yeah, me too. I'd love for Tenet to come out when it's supposed to; on the other hand, I'm actually sort of hoping college football gets cancelled, and I cannot believe I just typed those words. Between the virus, Mond's comments, F16 psychos, it's just going to be a toxic ****show that won't even be enjoyable anyway.
double aught
AG
I hear ya. But staying off social media will make it (and lots of other things) more enjoyable.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
April 2021:

"Hearing Warner Bros. is now strongly considering moving Tenet back another two weeks to mid-May. WB has no comment, however, because theaters no longer exist, and Emperor Trump has dissolved Hollywood, we're told Nolan is insisting on screening via speakeasy that viewers can only enter after completing a maze."
TCTTS
AG
Well that was fast. Now Wednesday, August 12th...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolans-tenet-delays-release-august-spike-covid-19-cases-1300382

Warner Bros.' official statement...

Quote:

Warner Bros. is committed to bringing Tenet to audiences in theaters, on the big screen, when exhibitors are ready and public health officials say it's time. In this moment what we need to be is flexible, and we are not treating this as a traditional movie release," a studios spokesperson said in a statement. "We are choosing to open the movie mid-week to allow audiences to discover the film in their own time, and we plan to play longer, over an extended play period far beyond the norm, to develop a very different yet successful release strategy.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
should just push it to thanksgiving or christmas and have it be the holiday event movie. let the classics rule the box office this summer and give people extra time to really feel safe.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, weeks ago they should have pushed to at least October (where WW84 went). The problem is Bond is already set for Thanksgiving and WB has Dune at Christmas, so they would have had to move Dune as well, which it doesn't sound like they want to do.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well *****

Just scrap 2020 at this point.
BoydCrowder13
This year SUCKS
TCTTS
AG
Haha, guys, it moved back TWELVE DAYS. That's nothing. Granted, it may very well move again, but at least they're trying everything they can, in increments, instead of saying screw it and moving to 2021 like so many others.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.