*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,304 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's great to hear. I can't believe there's going to be a Nolan movie I didn't see in theaters, but from all the reports of inaudible dialogue, at least I'll be able to rewind and use captions on my first viewing. I'm honestly looking forward to taking three to four hours on my initial watch to rewatch a scene if I didn't catch something, stop and make sure I understand exactly what's going on, etc. It's no IMAX, but I also recently upgraded to an 85" 4K TV, so it's not all bad...
Ornithopter
Ornithopter
AG
You're going to love it. It's great, and I think being able to rewind and catch the little things will make the second time through amazing.
TCTTS
AG
For sure. Especially after finally getting to dive into the six-page spoiler thread.
Ornithopter
AG
I'm impressed you haven't broken down and read it yet. I would have!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Two weeks.
TCTTS
AG
jetescamilla
AG
So Tenet is out on for VOD but not able to rent (purchase only). I was unable to catch this in theaters as it was only out for a short time in my city and with kids and COVID we were not able to get out and see it. I've done a great job of avoiding spoilers so I have a question for you all. Is this movie worth purchasing or should I continue the avoidance until it is available for rent?

As I type this I guess it's kind of funny I'm trying to determine whether I'm OK with a $4 purchase or a $20 since I'd have paid 2 X's more than that for 2 adults in a theater. But I'd argue that I'm pretty selective in my VOD purchases. I generally only like to purchase movies that we're willing to watch numerous time in our "library".

Also, I know I won't have the cinematic experience but I typically connect my bose headphones to the TV to watch "non kid movies" after the kids go down so I will get a nice sound to compliment the movie. Speaking of that I have a suspicion I'm getting an Oculus from the wife so I may have the ability to watch it in a VR theater environment. Not certain how those apps work with already purchased movies. Looks like I'm talking myself into purchasing but I'll go ahead and throw this post out there to bump this thread.
TCTTS
AG
Purchased. Finally.

That said, I think I'm waiting 'til Saturday night.

Overall, I've read/heard a lot of good, but probably more bad. Yet, I still want this to feel like somewhat of an "event," and a random weeknight doesn't cut it. That, and I've got a lot of work this week and want to be able to really dive into all the analysis after my viewing. So, come Saturday, I'm going to watch the Aggies beat Tennessee, watch Notre Dame take down Clemson, and then celebrate our playoff birth by watching Tenet for the first time, with a good meal, some popcorn, and the spoiler thread when I'm all done.

schmendeler
AG
Got mine!

TCTTS
AG
jetescamilla said:

So Tenet is out on for VOD but not able to rent (purchase only). I was unable to catch this in theaters as it was only out for a short time in my city and with kids and COVID we were not able to get out and see it. I've done a great job of avoiding spoilers so I have a question for you all. Is this movie worth purchasing or should I continue the avoidance until it is available for rent?

As I type this I guess it's kind of funny I'm trying to determine whether I'm OK with a $4 purchase or a $20 since I'd have paid 2 X's more than that for 2 adults in a theater. But I'd argue that I'm pretty selective in my VOD purchases. I generally only like to purchase movies that we're willing to watch numerous time in our "library".

Also, I know I won't have the cinematic experience but I typically connect my bose headphones to the TV to watch "non kid movies" after the kids go down so I will get a nice sound to compliment the movie. Speaking of that I have a suspicion I'm getting an Oculus from the wife so I may have the ability to watch it in a VR theater environment. Not certain how those apps work with already purchased movies. Looks like I'm talking myself into purchasing but I'll go ahead and throw this post out there to bump this thread.

Buy it. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.
TCTTS
AG
The dialogue really is crystal clear in that clip. WAY better than when I saw the prologue in the theater.
PDWT_12
AG

Is this the thread for peacocking?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI... I did take a quick peek at the prologue on my TV to see how the dialogue sounded/picture looked - which is incredible - and compared the physical 4K blu-ray with the digital purchase that comes with the physical 4K blu-ray (which is the same digital version for purchase/eventual rental). For those who care, the digital version - even the 4K digital version - does NOT expand to the IMAX aspect ratio for select IMAX sequences, only the physical blu-ray does. Or, at least, the 4K blu-ray does. So, if you want the absolute full experience, I would suggest buying an actual, physical copy.
canadiaggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI... I *did* just take a quick peek at the prologue on my TV to see how the dialogue sounded/picture looked - which is incredible on both accounts - and compared the physical 4K blu-ray with the digital purchase that comes with the physical 4K blu-ray (which is the same digital copy for purchase/eventual rental). For those who care, the digital version - even the 4K digital version - does NOT expand to the IMAX aspect ratio for select IMAX sequences, only the physical blu-ray does. Or, at least, the 4K blu-ray does. So, if you want the absolute FULL experience, I would suggest buying an actual, physical copy.

Good thing I snagged my 4K steelbook copy from Best Buy then. Have to drive to Sugar Land for it, but YOLO
canadiaggie
AG
nm
jetescamilla
AG
Purchased last night, kids went to bed, wife had to work late (COVID response for our State), watched it in the living room with noise canceling headphones. Awesome! I can totally see what people were talking about with the hard to hear audio. Definitely helped that I had the headphones and I still had to go back a couple of times to listen to low volume dialogue. Midway through I even turned on the captions.

I don't want to lay any spoilers since this is the non spoiler thread but I may watch this again tonight not that I've had 24 hours to digest the movie and read up on a couple of things. I had 95% of it figured out afterward but there was a lot of quick scenes early on before you had an understanding of the characters and their roles.
TCTTS
AG
Nice! Awesome to hear. Can't wait to dig in myself, and then run it back again.
RadAg14
AG
TCTTS said:

Classic scene
HouseDivided06
AG
Sooooo.....how did it go?
TCTTS
AG
Unfortunately, my entire Saturday night plan was based on my assumption that Alabama/Florida would be a blowout, and that I could watch Tenet instead. When the game turned out to be closer than expected, considering its potential to affect our standing, I couldn't turn it off. By the time it was over, I didn't want to start Tenet at 9pm - I wanted the entire evening and night to watch/read about it after - so I ended up watching SNL instead and then going to bed. That said, I'm finally going to watch Tenet either this evening or tomorrow evening, depending on how long a Zoom family Christmas goes later today...
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, my entire Saturday night plan was based on my assumption that Alabama/Florida would be a blowout, and that I could watch Tenet instead. When the game turned out to be closer than expected, considering its potential to affect our standing, I couldn't turn it off. By the time it was over, I didn't want to start Tenet at 9pm - I wanted the entire evening and night to watch/read about it after - so I ended up watching SNL instead and then going to bed. That said, I'm finally going to watch Tenet either this evening or tomorrow evening, depending on how long a Zoom family Christmas goes later today...

I'll be curious to get your opinion of MC Skat Kat's cameo, from the Paula Abdul "Opposites Attract" video, in the third act.
TCTTS
AG
Hell yeah.

Ferg
Have it on, can't understand half of what they are saying and with all the forward and backward stuff, I keep expecting someone to say PAUL IS DEAD.
Decay
AG
Ferg said:

Have it on, can't understand half of what they are saying and with all the forward and backward stuff, I keep expecting someone to say PAUL IS DEAD.

Just watch it, catch what you can, and then rewatch over and over and over. Tenet!!
scoop12
AG
Watched this last week when it came out on digital. This time had the closed captioning on to make sure I caught everything. I loved it in the theater because of how unique it was but it is sooooo much more enjoyable and easier to follow when you can actually understand what they're saying. The only part that I had to rewind to fully grasp was the blue team timeline and how Neil ended up in placd at the end. I hope they make a sequel to continue the story they setup.
dc509
AG
Just finished it. That... was interesting. I hate to say this, but he could have used a better editor.
DallasTeleAg
Hmm... i don't know. I like the premise of the movie, but something didn't quite hit, for me. It would definitely fall in the back half of Nolan movies for me. Some great sequences you come to expect from a Nolan movie and very original. I agree with what was said above; I felt it could have been edited better. Also, I had to watch with sub titles on to even understand what was going on, half the time.

This is only the second movie I have seen with Pattinson in it, post Twilight, and I am just floored by his improvement as an actor. The Lighthouse didn't quite do it for me, though I really wanted it to, but Pattinson was fantastic. In this movie, I thought Pattinson was great again. Very pleased to see his evolution as an actor.

azul_rain
Just watched, Nolan did it again
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
TCTTS
AG
Since a couple people have asked, a quick update...

As of last night, I've finally made it halfway through Tenet... twice. It's not that the audio's bad, it's that Nolan seemingly ALWAYS chooses either masked individuals or foreign actors with thick accents to deliver important exposition, and it drives me insane. I'm all for diversity. I'm all for hiring foreign actors in prominent roles. But good gosh, if they have a thick accent they SHOULDN'T be delivering important information in a complex sci-fi movie.

All of this to say, I made I through the first hour until I knew I had missed so much important dialogue that I started completely over with subtitles. Then, last night, I made it literally one scene past where I had made it previously (we just left the yacht), before my power went out in a crazy rain storm and I finally just went to bed. The power is back today, but I just got an email saying that a couch I ordered in August will likely FINALLY be delivered this week, and I may save the rest of my watch for that glorious moment. I moved into a new place in August, ordered a new, custom-made couch when I did, but it's taken so long due to Covid that I've been sitting in a single, not-very-comfortable chair in my living room ever since. All I want is to be able to sit and lounge on a couch again, and I can think of no better inaugural watch for doing so than finally finishing Tenet. So I might wait for that.

Overall, though, the movie itself is good so far. It almost feels like a CliffsNotes version of a Nolan movie - it moves so fast and hardly wastes any time with character-building moments - but that's also kind of what I like about it, in a weird way? It's like Christopher Nolan: The Video Game, with 0% fat, which is a little disorienting, but also strangely refreshing. At the very least, having seen the first half twice now, I'm 100% up to speed and feel completely ready for the second half.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.