*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,288 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texaggie7nine said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You guys are just now getting confused by this movie? My wife and I were early adopters of Nolan's style of inventive story telling.
I bet not as early as Restone

#thatsthejoke
AquaCasaAg
AG
Watched Good Time tonight. Intense, hang on for the ride type of movie. Thanks for the recommendation!
TCTTS
AG
Anyone see the prologue yet in IMAX?
TCTTS
AG
I won't be watching it until tomorrow night, but here's a bootleg for those interested (get it while it's hot)...

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/645033921045725197/657304434715525122/9vo5i.mp4
Jim01
AG
Saw the preview before TROS and it looks damn good. My only hold back is Washington. I thought he was the weakest link in Blackkklansman. I'm not so sure he has his fathers chops.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Okay, so the full preview screened before Star Wars.......and I am totally f-ing confused by what the hell is going on.
TCTTS
AG
This is super basic, and maybe obvious, but I'm thinking something along these lines (having only seen the trailer and not the prologue yet)...

- Whatever's "worse" than WWIII/nuclear holocaust is imminent. Maybe there's some kind of ticking clock element - they have X days to stop an apocalyptic event - or maybe they simply get wind that someone is planning some kind of apocalyptic event. Either way, I'm pretty sure Kenneth Branagh's character (shown on that blue racing boat in the trailer) is the primary villain.

- John David Washington's character is recruited, MIB style, into whatever this secret "Afterlife" group is, in the wake of proving himself worthy ("dying" instead of giving up his colleagues). I don't think he actually dies, though, or that this group is in any way supernatural. I think it's a situation in which Washington either *thinks* he's dying - or - maybe the only recruits the Afterlife can use are those whose brains are somehow "rewired" at the verge of death or something like that.

- As for the time manipulation aspect, my best guess is that the Afterlife group can pick a moment in recent time, start at a desired end point of that moment, enter that moment at that end point, then "play" that moment in reverse as a way to examine it/interact with it in real time. Does that make sense? Further, I don't think the Afterlife can change the past or anything like that. The best analogy I can come up with is that maybe the Afterlife has developed some kind of "DVR"-like tech for reality. Maybe they can "record" moments, but only play them back in reverse for some reason, and interact with them as such, as way to uncover clues about the coming apocalyptic event. Either way, the breathing masks the Afterlife guys have to wear just before or in these moments are seemingly crucial, as if these reversed-time moments take a toll on the body in some way.

I'm probably way off in most regards, and I'm sure it'll be funny to come back and read this after the movie comes out, but that's the best I can do for now.
PatAg
AG
So many questions
PatAg
AG
Well, there was a different trailer in front of star wars, and there is a scene where they are driving and a car wrecks and flips over, then...un flips over as they drive by. No masks

and it looked like at the end of that 6 minute version, he sees a bullet hole in front of him fill in, and it sure as hell looked like that guy in the dark visor killed him in reverse...but then hes ok as he leaves

my brain hurts
TCTTS
AG
Most of what you're describing is in the trailer released online / posted in this thread. That's the one I'm referring to.

Re: the breathing masks, in the trailer there's a shot of Washington wearing one facing the camera, there's a quick shot of a guy wearing one in an idling car, and then Washington is also wearing one in the poster.

Re: the car clipping over and then un-flipping over, that's the only thing I can't really account for. It's so trippy.

Again, I haven't seen the prologue yet, so I can't speak to any of that yet.
PatAg
AG
oh yea, I just watched that prologue, thats what I was referring to

Dont expect it to give you more answers, but man do I want to see it.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Can't wait.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Most of what you're describing is in the trailer released online / posted in this thread. That's the one I'm referring to.

Re: the breathing masks, in the trailer there's a shot of Washington wearing one facing the camera, there's a quick shot of a guy wearing one in an idling car, and then Washington is also wearing one in the poster.

Re: the car clipping over and then un-flipping over, that's the only thing I can't really account for. It's so trippy.

Again, I haven't seen the prologue yet, so I can't speak to any of that yet.

My roommate thought that maybe they are moving forward (or backward) in time manipulation and suddenly time swaps orientation.

My thought is that the thing worse than nuclear Holocaust is that time distortions are happening all over and this org is utilizing them to undo it from happening at all. I recently read a trippy book similar to this (different time mechanics but time manipulation leading to the breakdown of society) so maybe why I am on that train of thought.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
agmrpink
AG
Any video game nerds out there? After thinking about it, I'm getting some serious Quantum Break vibes, where "worse than nuclear holocaust" is the end of time itself. In the game, time fractures when time travel experiments go south, and the medicine protects the user and helps him operate outside the bounds of time.
exitone
AG

I was hoping this would be before TROS last night, but where I saw it, they had just about every movie to be released in the next two years but TENET.

This looks interesting, but at this point I'm not even going to try and hurt my head thinking about what is going on.

Edit: .... the car chase scene instantly reminded me of the Matrix.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Feels like you could have taken the music and title credits off, put on Matrix 4 and nobody would have thought any different.
Texaggie7nine
agmrpink said:

Any video game nerds out there? After thinking about it, I'm getting some serious Quantum Break vibes, where "worse than nuclear holocaust" is the end of time itself. In the game, time fractures when time travel experiments go south, and the medicine protects the user and helps him operate outside the bounds of time.
The only semblance of sense I could make of it was maybe they can travel through time in a way that they have to experience the moment backwards first, then forwards.

The best way I can explain it is kind of like in Memento when the black and white forward scenes met the colorized backwards scenes and you go from going backwards, to forwards.

So say you are going to the time of an event you need to change. When you arrive, you arrive 5 minutes after it occurred, but you are traveling backwards through time for 5 minutes while you can still move forward, then when you get to the event or a little before it happens, you can then experience it as it happened, but now you have set yourself up to change it.

If that makes any sense.
7nine
exitone
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

agmrpink said:

The only semblance of sense I could make of it was maybe they can travel through time in a way that they have to experience the moment backwards first, then forwards.

The best way I can explain it is kind of like in Memento when the black and white forward scenes met the colorized backwards scenes and you go from going backwards, to forwards.

So say you are going to the time of an event you need to change. When you arrive, you arrive 5 minutes after it occurred, but you are traveling backwards through time for 5 minutes while you can still move forward, then when you get to the event or a little before it happens, you can then experience it as it happened, but now you have set yourself up to change it.

If that makes any sense.
I think this is a pretty good guess.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I can already tell from the trailer this will be me during the movie
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

Anyone see the prologue yet in IMAX?

I saw it, and boy was it worth it(won't speak of the movie it paired with). based on the prologue, I'm wondering if he's going to go forwards in time to a certain point, and then backwards back to some starting point(hence the palindrome). He was saved by a guy in a mask in the theater so that could certainly be him going backwards, definitely trippy and definitely a prototype Nolan movie in the making which means I'll being seeing it ASAP(hopefully at a Imax screening). I couldn't tell if was already working for a government or if he was in some other shadow organization in order to save the VIP.
MBAR
AG
Jim01 said:

Saw the preview before TROS and it looks damn good. My only hold back is Washington. I thought he was the weakest link in Blackkklansman. I'm not so sure he has his fathers chops.
lol what.

I love him. I mean I'd agree Driver is better, but he's still great.
PDWT_12
AG
One of the best parts of my TROS theater experience was about 4 minutes into the prologue, when the dad sitting next to me turned and asked, "This is the theater for Star Wars right?"
rhutton125
AG
Washington has a certain cheesiness to his delivery sometimes in BlackKklansmen. Not sure if that equates bad actor, or just a kind of unique voice. I need to see him in more.

Very interested in this movie now...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

2000 - Memento
2010 - Inception
2020 - Tenet
BenFiasco14
AG
How in the world would Memento be in the same universe?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Texaggie7nine
Went to see Star Wars in IMAX today excited to see the prologue but they didnt show it.
7nine
YouBet
AG
PDWT_12 said:

One of the best parts of my TROS theater experience was about 4 minutes into the prologue, when the dad sitting next to me turned and asked, "This is the theater for Star Wars right?"
We got to see this prologue in IMAX 2D and it was unfreaking real. The sound actually hurt my ears a little it was so intense. Way more intense sound than TROS.

Anyway, I haven't been on this thread since the beginning so I had no idea there was a prologue coming. I also didn't know this was a thing because I don't recall this happening with TDK.

So, about 3 minutes into this prologue, and after about 25 minutes of commercials already, my wife and I turn to each other with very confused looks. I believe she asked above and I simultaneously asked "WTF is going on?"
TCTTS
AG
I think it's only showing in true IMAX, but I could be wrong. Is your AMC LieMax?
Texaggie7nine
I saw RoSW at the real IMAX in Houston Marqee center and no Tenet preview
7nine
PatAg
AG
This is somewhat random but, regarding John David Washington, I do think he has become a very good actor. I remember seeing him in Ballers, and he was pretty enjoyable but he was just being a jokester early on. Something seemed familiar about him, and we kind of all figured out that he was Denzel's son, and you could see it in his mannerisms, but he still had his own thing. As that show progressed, he started showing more of his dramatic acting ability. I thought he was great in BlacKkKlansmen, along with Adam Driver of course. I'm really looking to see what he pulls off in this movie.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Enjoyed him Ballers, and love seeing him get such a massive showcase here. Really looking forward to seeing what he does with the role.
Jim01
AG
I saw the preview again on the big screen and Washington is still a big concern for me. I thought he was the weakest part of Blackkklansman and half of the time he doesn't look great in this trailer. Too often he has this blank look on his face.

We'll see. Hopefully he steps it up.
MW03
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

agmrpink said:

If that makes any sense.

I think you're right, with the caveat that the extent of your ability is 10 minutes. Hence the name of the movie. It's Ten forwards to the moment "N" then ten backwards. TeneT. And knowing how Nolan likes to play with time in his movies, I would bet further that you experience these ten minute situations in real ten minutes of screen time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.