*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,577 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Budget is over $200M.

https://collider.com/christopher-nolan-tenet-budget-200-million/?
The Debt
Saw the trailer with 1917. It did nothing for me. While Jason Bourne meets Inception looks good on paper, a scifi/martial arts/firearms film feels like it's been done to death.

In the back of my mind I'm hearing this voice say "but this is Christopher Nolan doing it". And that voice isnt compelling me to be sold on it.
MW03
AG
The Debt said:

Saw the trailer with 1917. It did nothing for me. While Jason Bourne meets Inception looks good on paper, a scifi/martial arts/firearms film feels like it's been done to death.

In the back of my mind I'm hearing this voice say "but this is Christopher Nolan doing it". And that voice isnt compelling me to be sold on it.

Texaggie7nine
Quote:

a scifi/martial arts/firearms film feels like it's been done to death.
7nine
The Debt
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

a scifi/martial arts/firearms film feels like it's been done to death.

Every superhero film has done it. Jet Li One. Equilibrium. Even jason Bourne himself is an element of unbelievable hand-to-hand fighting. Streaming services have even done pretty great work with single shot scenes and gruesome kills.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If the fact that Nolan is directing isn't enough to get you excited, I don't know what to tell you.
TCTTS
AG
Where are you seeing "martial arts" in the trailer?

Also, name one movie in which time literally moves backward as the protagonist moves forward.

IMO, nearly every frame in this trailer looks original. And the ones that don't look like Inception, which was only one of the best movies of the decade.
The Debt
There is a scene where the protagonist walks into a room with a friendly and there are bulletholes everywhere and the friendly says "what happened here?" He says "it hasnt happened yet" then a bad guy rushes in and the protagonist deflects the rifle with kungfu and the hand-to-hand combat commences.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, kung fu? What?

First of all, the bad guy in the elevator is moving backward in time - "emerging" from the elevator he's technically entering - and is running into John David Washington's character, who quickly attempts to swat/push him away. But it's literally a split-second move and there's no way you can definitely tell me that's "kung fu" or that it leads to generic, hand-to-hand combat, especially considering that the guy in black is, again, moving backward (starting at the 1:56 mark below). Also it's the last second of the trailer. There's literally no other fighting/hand-to-hand combat anywhere to be found. That's not to say it's not present in the movie - I'm sure it is - but if so, who cares? Since when did fighting become uncool? And when have you ever seen moving-backward-in-time fighting?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Movies in English have been done to death.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, kung fu? What?

First of all, the bad guy in the elevator is moving backward in time - "emerging" from the elevator he's technically entering - and is running into John David Washington's character, who quickly attempts to swat/push him away. But it's literally a split-second move and there's no way you can definitely tell me that's "kung fu" or that it leads to generic, hand-to-hand combat, especially considering that the guy in black is, again, moving backward (starting at the 1:56 mark below). Also it's the last second of the trailer. There's literally no other fighting/hand-to-hand combat anywhere to be found. That's not to say it's not present in the movie - I'm sure it is - but if so, who cares? Since when did fighting become uncool? And when have you ever seen moving-backward-in-time fighting?

I mean, that youtube video starts with something we've all seen before. The standard two characters laying on the ground, or maybe against the wall, and then they let go and somehow spring upwards into the air, as if in free flight, towards a building. THen they land and run up the building's side. Same ol hollywood bull****, try something new for once.
bobinator
AG
I bet they even show this movie in theaters.
SEEN IT.
Hollywood is so finished.
TCTTS
AG
Right? I saw that exact same scene at least five times in 2019 alone.
TCTTS
AG
They should just change the title to...

S E E N E T
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Decay
AG
I can't get past my own inability to pronounce Tenet. I keep saying "tenent" and I can't unhear that. Then I try way too hard and it comes out "tennit" and that doesn't sound right either. So I guess I'll just trip over it for a few months. Tenant. The movie is about renters. Tenants.
PatAg
AG
Decay said:

I can't get past my own inability to pronounce Tenet. I keep saying "tenent" and I can't unhear that. Then I try way too hard and it comes out "tennit" and that doesn't sound right either. So I guess I'll just trip over it for a few months. Tenant. The movie is about renters. Tenants.
Just say it fast and dont look back
Post removed:
by user
Decay
AG
But is it backwards backwards or forwards backwards
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
I'm already confused as hell and the movie isn't even released.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Theory: the opening scene and the final scene will be the same scene, except playing in opposite directions.
Sazerac
AG
Saw the preview for this past weekend. Looks really interesting. As expected for Nolan.
NASAg03
So it's safe to assume our minds will be blown upon watching this movie, but backwards in time, where we enter the theater with minds already blown, and leave with minds reassembled as the credits roll?

I'm definitely going to walk out of the theater backwards.
Decay
AG
NASAg03 said:

So it's safe to assume our minds will be blown upon watching this movie, but backwards in time, where we enter the theater with minds already blown, and leave with minds reassembled as the credits roll?

I'm definitely going to walk out of the theater backwards.

I'm going dressed like Kris Kross
TCTTS
AG
This is a guy I link to every so often, who seems to work with Nolan in some capacity and has accurately hinted at impending Nolan trailers in the past...

Granted, this could be anything, but maybe we get a Tenet Super Bowl spot in two weeks?
FancyKetchup14
AG
TC...when do you think the news will drop that this gets pushed back?
PDWT_12
AG

Me begging Warner Brothers to leave TENET and Dune at their current premier dates
FancyKetchup14
AG
My spectrum of emotions from re-watching the trailer to remembering current events causing delays:

TCTTS
AG
I honestly don't know. Top Gun: Maverick moving to December 23 really threw a wrench in things. My guess before today was that Dune - another Warner Bros. blockbuster - was going to move from December 18, 2020 to spring or summer '21, and then Tenet would slide into that December 18 slot. But now, would WB release Tenet just five days before Top Gun?

A couple weeks ago, when WB moved all their June movies, including Wonder Woman 1984 to August 14, but didn't move Tenet from July 17, it looked to be a sign that WB was holding firm on that July 17 date. And they still might be trying to. In a perfect world, we go back to the movies in July, and a big, Christopher Nolan blockbuster is the movie to welcome us back. My guess is, as of even a week ago, this was WB's thinking. But with other big July movies moving this week, and now Top Gun claiming Christmas, WB either doubles down on July, or moves Tenet in the next couple of days, I imagine. My guess is the latter, and it's looking more and more like they need to claim a date fast.
HoustonAg2106
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Me begging Warner Brothers to leave TENET and Dune at their current premier dates
Dune is not in danger as of now, but TENET is more than likely going to be pushed back
TCTTS
AG
If Tenet gets pushed back, Dune likely gets pushed back as a result. Yes, I think Dune will still be ready by Christmas, but the whole WB calendar MIGHT have to shift if something as big as Tenet moves. The only thing I can think of is if Tenet claims a fall date like October. That's still a big move, and a random release month for something like Tenet, but it likely wouldn't be a big enough move to force Dune to have to push as well. Super interested to see how this plays out...
HoustonAg2106
AG
TCTTS said:

If Tenet gets pushed back, Dune likely gets pushed back as a result. Yes, I think Dune will still be ready by Christmas, but the whole WB calendar MIGHT have to shift if something as big as Tenet moves. The only thing I can think of is if Tenet claims a fall date like October. That's still a big move, and a random release month for something like Tenet, but it likely wouldn't be a big enough move to force Dune to have to push as well. Super interested to see how this plays out...
Fair point, I didn't think about the domino effect if a movie like TENET gets moved.
Malachi Constant
AG
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/christopher-nolan-tenet-open-july-17-theaters-closed-1202226530/

Christopher Nolan Will Have 'Tenet' Ready to Open July 17 Unless Theaters Are Closed
PatAg
AG
So I assume most of us on this thread were intending to see this opening week. Just gonna show up in a bubble boy setup

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.