*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,307 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rick Dalton said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet-cinemascore-christopher-nolan-1234584634/
Quote:

Past Nolan CinemaScores are as follows: "Insomnia" (2002): B; "Batman Begins" (2005): A; "The Prestige" (2006): B; "The Dark Knight" (2008): A; "Inception" (2010): B+; "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012): A; "Interstellar" (2014): B+; and "Dunkirk" (2017): A-.

Since The Prestige is my favorite Nolan film I find this hilarious
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

What is the next tentpole release? Wonder Woman and Bond in November, correct?

Edit: Forgot Black Widow.

Looks like they really start to stack up in November.
10.02.20 Wonder Woman 1984
11.06.20 Black Widow
11.20.20 No Time to Die
12.18.20 Dune

That's assuming that these initial numbers don't scare the others into pushing back. If Mulan does well for Disney I could see them following the same release strategy for Black Widow. WB reportedly wanted to push Tenet so they could do the same for WW1984 and Dune if they don't think audiences are ready to come back to the theater.

Tenet's international numbers are above expectations, especially with China doing so well, while its domestic numbers seems to be about what WB was expecting, if not slightly lower? So it's hard to say how the numbers will affect the four big releases you mention. But yeah, I'm curious to see how much of a success Mulan is on Disney+ and if it could at least affect Black Widow going the same route. Then again, LA and New York should hopefully be open by WW84, and will surely be open by November, so that will likely factor into the studios' decisions as well. I'm hoping everything stays as-is. I could see Tenet having another $20M domestic next weekend, with everyone back from vacation, having more confidence going back to theaters after audiences did it this weekend, etc. If so, I think everything stays on their respective dates. Especially with Bond releasing a brand new trailer just this past week, a new WW84 trailer the week before, and the Dune trailer coming this week.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-box-office-opening-weekend-christopher-nolan-1234759699/
TCTTS
AG

https://ew.com/movies/tenet-crosses-100-million-international-box-office/
lazuras_dc
AG
Not sure if it's been covered but let's say there was no pandemic. What would be the expected box office #s at this point ? I have a hard time wrapping my mind how to even compare this to say looking up where inception was at this point in its release.
TCTTS
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Not sure if it's been covered but let's say there was no pandemic. What would be the expected box office #s at this point ? I have a hard time wrapping my mind how to even compare this to say looking up where inception was at this point in its release.

Comparative domestic opening weekends:

$62M = Inception
$47M = Interstellar
$50M = Dunkirk

My guess is Tenet would have done somewhere between $50M and $60M had it opened on its original July date in a non-Covid world. So, having done roughly a third of that, during a global pandemic, with theaters at 50% max capacity at best, with most much lower, and not even opening in LA or NY, on Labor Day weekend (traditionally, not a big box office weekend), I'd say that's pretty damn impressive overall. Impressive enough for the current 2020 calendar to stay as-is? I think we need another weekend or two to truly judge that.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Seeing tonight. Literally have no idea what this movie is about except for the fact that Nolan is directing and I think it's about cops or detectives.

Seen no trailers, read no threads or articles. Not sure I've ever pulled that off before for a Nolan movie. See you on the spoilers thread later.
FalconAg06
Ag Since 83 said:

Rick Dalton said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet-cinemascore-christopher-nolan-1234584634/
Quote:

Past Nolan CinemaScores are as follows: "Insomnia" (2002): B; "Batman Begins" (2005): A; "The Prestige" (2006): B; "The Dark Knight" (2008): A; "Inception" (2010): B+; "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012): A; "Interstellar" (2014): B+; and "Dunkirk" (2017): A-.

The prestige was amazing. I didn't really like Tenet that much
Sex Panther
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Literally have no idea what this movie is about

Oh so you already saw it
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Sex Panther said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Literally have no idea what this movie is about

Oh so you already saw it

Holy crap. Exactly.
TCTTS
AG
Fennessey isn't a big Nolan fan, so this is encouraging...

TCTTS
AG
Man, I'm going to be so behind!
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good point. Hopefully two viewings + a lot of reading in between does the trick.

And yes, this is absolutely killing me...

(I accidentally clicked on it a few days ago, hence it not being "174 NEW.")
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Rick Dalton said:

Quote:

The prestige was amazing. I didn't really like Tenet that much
The Prestige is the best movie that I had never heard of when I eventually saw it on cable. Twenty years ago I think I would have been obsessed with Tenet or Inception the way I was with a movie like Fight Club where I kept wanting to peel back layers and spend time on discussion boards.

Either my age or my interests have changed to where that's no longer the way I feel. I love his Batman trilogy and I tell anyone I talk movies with that The Prestige is a must-see. But my wife and I saw Inception in the theater and were bored by the end, and Tenet was less likable for me. Being unable to understand the dialogue was a giant turnoff similar to the super-dark Battle of Winterfell on Game of Thrones. You want your art to be a certain way, but if the paying audience can't comprehend it, what are you exactly accomplishing?

TCTTS
Decay
AG
Rick Dalton said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tenet-will-now-play-at-los-angeles-area-drive-ins
Quote:

The studio reversed course earlier this week, just as indoor cinemas in nearby Orange County gained approval to reopen. The O.C. becomes only the second California market to receive the okay after San Diego. It isn't yet clear when L.A. cinemas will be able to flip on the lights, but it could be weeks away.

By Friday, Tenet will be playing in five drive-ins in the greater Los Angeles area, as well as outdoor venues in Orange County, San Diego and the Bay Area.

Gee that was hard...
tysker
AG
Quote:

By Friday, Tenet will be playing in five drive-ins in the greater Los Angeles area, as well as outdoor venues in Orange County, San Diego and the Bay Area.
I think a drive-in or outdoor venue is only going to hurt the Tenet viewing experience.
Post removed:
by user
dave94
AG
Rick Dalton said:

No doubt that it would be a terrible experience, the only worst way to see this one would be a crappy cam version pirated off of the internet. I thought the more relevant part of the story was that theaters are reopening in Orange County since we have one poster who has discussed driving to San Diego to see it.

I wonder how the audio will be mixed for the FM signal that the drive-ins use.

I haven't actually been to any of the new generation drive-ins, how is that aspect of the experience?
lazuras_dc
AG
Quote:

studio reversed course earlier this week,

I see what they did there
TCTTS
AG
Yep. Sounds like a disaster...

I'm growing more and more confident that once I finally do get to see this movie, it'll be at home. Which, given the circumstances, is honestly fine by me.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
third coast.. said:

Why not drive to SD and see it?

Don't really have the time. A round trip to SD to see it would basically be an entire day. That, and, given the circumstances, if I see it in a theater, I'd prefer it be one I'm familiar with in LA.
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

third coast.. said:

Why not drive to SD and see it?

Don't really have the time. A round trip to SD to see it would basically be an entire day. That, and, given the circumstances, if I see it in a theater, I'd prefer it be one I'm familiar with in LA.

What circumstances are those? Are SD people dirtier and more Corona spreading than LA people?
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Ha, no, I meant in terms of familiarity. The "circumstances" being that I haven't seen a movie in a theater in six months, so I'd prefer my first time back be in a theater I know/love, not some random theater I've never been to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.