*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,632 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the story was just fine, and the movie is probably in my top 5 all time. And if you were intrigued by the science behind it you should read the book about it by Kip Thorne. Fascinating and easy to read.
Bunk Moreland
Interstellar was one of my favorite theater experiences of all time. So was The Dark Knight. So was Dunkirk.

None of those films would be in my top 10 movies of all time though easily top 100. But combine the films with the theater/imax/35mm experience for each and they all became near perfection in their own unique way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed 100%.
dc509
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Interstellar was one of my favorite theater experiences of all time. So was The Dark Knight. So was Dunkirk.

None of those films would be in my top 10 movies of all time though easily top 100. But combine the films with the theater/imax/35mm experience for each and they all became near perfection in their own unique way.
I should have seen Dunkirk in theaters. I watched it on a flight, and of all of Nolan's movies it's probably my least favorite. I acknowledge that it's good, but I don't have much interested in seeing it again. The experience wasn't really there on the tiny screen.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
dc509 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I should have seen Dunkirk in theaters. I watched it on a flight, and of all of Nolan's movies it's probably my least favorite. I acknowledge that it's good, but I don't have much interested in seeing it again. The experience wasn't really there on the tiny screen.
I saw it three times in the theater. The sound was simply astounding. Another movie had come out after Dunkirk's release that I was seeing, and at some point I had to use the restroom; I'm standing there doing my business, and I could hear the BAM-BAM-BAM when the Heinkel's guns opened up on Tom Hardy's Spitfire through the adjoining wall.

On the other hand, I took my dad to see this. He loved going to the theater and he loved war movies, or really, any movie with action ... but he told me he hated this one. This is a pretty big regret on my part as it was his last movie in a theater before he passed the following February. So I am split on how I regard the movie Dunkirk.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think the Prestige might be my favorite Nolan movie, and I'm a huge Batman fan. I never saw it until watching int on cable late one night when my girls were still requiring bottle service (not the fun kind). Just kept me guessing from moment and moment and so many great actors on a small stage together. Plus kept trying to figure out if I was rooting for Bale or Jackman.

Dark Knight is definitely 2nd and Batman begins 3rd. The rest drop off for me from there. If I don't watch Inception from the very beginning with no one else around me, I'm too dumb to understand what's going on.
The thing that blew my mind about Dunkirk was how solid an actor Harry Styles is.

Bunk Moreland
Agree. The Prestige is a top 10 all time for me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sorry to hear that Cinco. Dunkirk was definitely a divisive war movie. Just wasn't made in the same vein as other typical action or war movies and I think some people were just wanting that.
PatAg
AG
I think it's just hard for the average American to care about any WWII story that isn't about our role in it.

I don't mean that as any sort of insult, just something I have noticed. I thought the movie was great, but I was always fascinated with the period of the war before we officially entered it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks.

On a related note, I really need the Aggies to destroy Auburn the next time they come to Kyle Field. Why? Because that was the last game my dad attended in 2017. Of course, I want the same outcome this season as well.

I do agree about the nature of the movie Dunkirk. It was a strangely put-together movie with many scenes that appeared to repeat themselves. It was toward the end of my first viewing that it finally clicked for me as to what Nolan was doing; should have been more evident right at the beginning with the week, day, hour thing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
PatAg said:

I think it's just hard for the average American to care about any WWII story that isn't about our role in it.
Dunkirk II: The Untold Story - Clint Eastwood, digital John Wayne, Vin Diesel, and Chris Tucker take back the beach using a combination of bald eagles, AK-47s, stealth bombers, and patriotism.
bobinator
AG
Quote:

should have been more evident right at the beginning with the week, day, hour thing.

Doesn't it literally say it on the screen to start the movie?
TCTTS
AG
Haha, yes.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

Quote:

should have been more evident right at the beginning with the week, day, hour thing.

It does, but I failed to make the connection, initially, that Nolan was showing us the same events from the different timing perspectives.
Ag Since 83
AG
That's an easy thing to get confused by. For contrast, my parents thought they were escaping an English beach (to go to Ireland I guess?)
FancyKetchup14
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

bobinator said:

Quote:

It does, but I failed to make the connection, initially, that Nolan was showing us the same events from the different timing perspectives.

I felt like that's part of the viewing experience, though. The "a-ha" moment as you see a scene replayed through another's perspective.
TCTTS
AG

"Things will feel strange. You are inverted. The world is not."

(For some reason the six-second video doesn't show up in the embed below. Click on the tweet to view it.)

So, it seems as if there two ways of viewing/experiencing inversion (even though it's all technically the same thing)...

1) Our world moving forward, but an object/reaction like the bullet from the latest trailer moving/"firing" in reverse, back into the gun. So the subject is somehow witnessing/experiencing the inversion of a single object.

2) A subject/human "becoming the bullet" so to speak, and entering a world that *appears* to be moving backward, but is really not. Because the subject/human is actually the thing that is moving backward, but he/she is experiencing time from their own point of view, which gives the appearance of time moving backward around them.

I still have absolutely no clue how one can either witness the inversion of a single object - or - become the inverted subject, but this at least helps contextualize the conceit somewhat and peal back another layer.
FancyKetchup14
AG
TCTTS said:

"Things will feel strange. You are inverted. The world is not."

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Likely explanations to Tenet:

1) It was all a dream
2) The surgeon is the boy's mother
3) Tenet is PEOPLE! IT'S PEOPLE!
4) They've gone forward in time, not to another planet.
5) All of this is happening inside the spinning token from the end of Inception.
6) Michael Caine was behind the whole thing, and he would have gotten away from it if it wasn't for you darn snooping kids.
7) It's all the work of the smoke monster.
8) He was dead the whole time.
9) The other guy was his twin brother.
10) I won't understand it until someone writes it out for me on Wikipedia.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know your audience.
TCTTS
AG
From July 17th to July 31st.

It's not fall, and it's not December.

I can handle that.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-delayed-coronavirus-1234576169/
TCTTS
AG
A re-release of Inception is set to replace it on July 17th.
TCTTS
AG
July 31st is also the same day the NBA is currently set to return. What a welcomed weekend that will be.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, way before the Fourth. Traditionally, at least. That said, there are currently multiple spots running on TV (sans a release date) and this past week especially has seen a ton of cast interviews, social media content, etc. Also, check out the quote a few posts above where Nolan and Emma Thompson discuss the release for the first time publicly. The impression I'm getting is that it's sounding less and less like a case of it having to be July 17 or else it gets pushed back to the fall/end of the year. They're basically saying, when theaters are ready, they'll be ready. And because the theatrical landscape is so in flux right now, it could simply be more of a play-it-by-ear scenario, where maybe it hits, say, the first week of August instead. I could be wrong, but it's looking to me like they're going to continue the marketing push as is, and then whenever they can finally nail down an exact date, they'll simply make an announcement and start adding that date to the ongoing marketing, even if that date might be a week or two or three after the 17th, hypothetically. Granted, that would of course affect Wonder Woman 1984's mid-August release (another Warner Bros. movie), but again, maybe, given the landscape, they could easily shift that one back a couple weeks as well. Or, heck, maybe even have both out at the same time. It's the Wild West right now, so anything seems possible.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is Interstellar Zimmer's best soundtrack/score ever made? I typically listen to it while working as background noise and damn, it just never disappoints. I'd love input from others.

(I think, in the last 10 years, the two best scores produced are Interstellar and The Social Network.)
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've only watched Interstellar once, need to rewatch and listen!
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. It's incredible.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

July 31st is also the same day the NBA is currently set to return. What a welcomed weekend that will be.

Which player will have put on 80 lbs ala shawn kemp during the 98-99 lockout?
Fenrir
Doncic
Bruce Almighty
AG
My two favorites of his are Crimson Tide and Gladiator
FancyKetchup14
AG
Gladiator is a timeless soundtrack.
Madmarttigan
AG
Zimmer is my favorite composer so don't even get me started, and yes I recognize William's brilliance at being the master of making a theme song, but I still love Zimmer more.

Interstellar, Gladiator, Last Samurai, Pirates, Man of Steel,
Crimson Tide are all up there. Many more movies that I like songs from as well.

Zimmer may not ever make a theme you hum in your head like Williams, but just love the uniqueness of his music from movie to movie and how well he fits into the movie.
PatAg
AG
Just adding Giachhino onto the list of making great soundtracks for movies/shows. The music of Lost is just amazing.
bobinator
AG
The Daft Punk Tron soundtrack is really good also. When I need to focus and write at work that soundtrack bangs.
double aught
AG
PatAg said:

Just adding Giachhino onto the list of making great soundtracks for movies/shows. The music of Lost is just amazing.
His bombastic theme that plays as the STAR TREK title card appears on screen is so good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.