*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,588 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL at people watching this movie on a plane.
c-jags
i may be weird, but i just didn't have any problems hearing the audio in theater. complaints about the plot and explanation, i get, but not audio. i can't think of a single word that i couldn't make out.

didn't for interstellar either.
Mr. White
c-jags said:

i may be weird, but i just didn't have any problems hearing the audio in theater. complaints about the plot and explanation, i get, but not audio. i can't think of a single word that i couldn't make out.

what about Bane dialogue?
c-jags
Mr. White said:

c-jags said:

what about Bane dialogue?
that i can grant was somewhat difficult.
double aught
AG
schmendeler said:

Watching on an ipad while I rock my daughter to sleep. Sometimes we just can't be choosy.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
schmendeler said:

It keeps you from noticing all the snakes......
schmendeler
AG
Watch whatever you want, whenever you want. But don't use a viewing on an airplane as your basis for making a critique of a movie like Tenet.

"That band I heard while I was ****ting in the portapotty at ACL had really contrived lyrics."
oragator
Finally watched it.
Loved the effort and idea, not a a huge fan of the execution. Half the time they were in masks so you didn't know who you were seeing, and that also affected the sound. And it was like he wanted to see how much info he could squeeze into 2.5 hours, and many of the things that you needed to know for later happened in half seconds. One thing I had to slow mo on my dvr three times to make sure I got it. And a couple of things I had to Google afterwards which was frustrating. And there was a time plot hole at the end I think as well.
But I will take movies like this all day every day over most movies for sure. At least it tried to be new and different.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
oragator said:

Finally watched it.
Loved the effort and idea, not a a huge fan of the execution. Half the time they were in masks so you didn't know who you were seeing, and that also affected the sound. And it was like he wanted to see how much info he could squeeze into 2.5 hours, and many of the things that you needed to know for later happened in half seconds. One thing I had to slow mo on my dvr three times to make sure I got it. And a couple of things I had to Google afterwards which was frustrating. And there was a time plot hole at the end I think as well.
But I will take movies like this all day every day over most movies for sure. At least it tried to be new and different.
Good point at the end. Although I pooped all over this movie, I still applaud the effort. At least they tried something and it wasn't another 80's sitcom movie, reboot, or even worse, another stupid comic book movie.
oragator
Funny, I didn't put it in my reaction post, but my first thought after viewing it was that there's a fine line between a genius movie and poor (or overly self important) movie, and this is the closest any of Nolan's films have come to that line for me. Just felt like it tried too hard in a lot of ways instead of just letting it be what it was. Like it was constantly worried about how smart it was instead of bringing the audience along with it.
But again, give me a movie that tried like this one did over the recycled serialized crap that is most movies today. Love the effort. Will watch his next one in a heart beat.
91_Aggie
AG
Such a bad movie
The protagonist was such a thin character that made me not care at all about him. Do not know if bad direction, poor writing, or this guy is just a bad actor... likely combo of all 3.

I am someone that complex plots, weird twists, puzzles to solve, etc. But this movie was so boring and thin on plot and making me care about the people or even the "puzzle" that i do not even care to try to find out what I may have missed.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Woof, JDW ruined this movie for me. He is an absolutely terrible actor. It was just so painful to see such a great actor in Pattinson be forced to share screen time with him. He has no range, no emotion, no charisma. His physicality is great for action scenes, but that's about it. It really feels like a football player trying really hard to act. I have no clue what Nolan was thinking making JDW his leading man.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
I read an internet theory that the Protagonist stops the Time Bomb because he knows the team from Interstellar in the future will be able to leave the planet, therefore rendering the future-people-in-Tenet's need for a "planet do over" moot.

Fun theory for a "Nolanverse" even if pretty damned thin.
schmendeler
AG
MW03 said:

I read an internet theory that the Protagonist stops the Time Bomb because he knows the team from Interstellar in the future will be able to leave the planet, therefore rendering the future-people-in-Tenet's need for a "planet do over" moot.

Fun theory for a "Nolanverse" even if pretty damned thin.
i like that. but is there any explanation for how he knows this?
gggmann
AG
There's a problem when the youtube videos explaining the movie are more entertaining than the actual movie.
hbc07
AG
Watching this right now. About to give up because I can't hear the dialogue without cranking the volume up and being deafened by the music.
PDWT_12
AG
Seems to be the unpopular opinion of the last couple of pages but I think it's a movie that is worth turning subtitles on for.

Still probably my favorite movie of 2020, although I recognize that's not saying much.
TCTTS
AG
I'm usually anti-susbtitles, but even I had to have to have them on the first couple times I watched it. Helped immensely.
PDWT_12
AG
The only time I'm against them is in comedies because they tend to ruin punchlines.
TCTTS
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Woof, JDW ruined this movie for me. He is an absolutely terrible actor. It was just so painful to see such a great actor in Pattinson be forced to share screen time with him. He has no range, no emotion, no charisma. His physicality is great for action scenes, but that's about it. It really feels like a football player trying really hard to act. I have no clue what Nolan was thinking making JDW his leading man.

I don't think JDW did amazing or anything, but "ruined the movie" seems a little extreme. I thought he was... fine. Personally, I loved the movie, and it just keeps getting better with time for me, but I do wonder how much better it could have been if the protagonist and Kat had any chemistry whatsoever. They just seemed so mismatched, from their personalities to him being so short, her being so tall, there being zero sparks between them, etc. If those two characters had more chemistry, and there was more of a romantic subplot there - the spy who falls for the villain's tortured wife and vice versa - the movie would have crackled so much more. Heck, JDW and Pattinson could have switched roles and that right there could have solved 75% of it. Ultimately, though, I would have completely recast the protagonist and Kat and made that relationship sizzle. Would have gone such a long way toward giving the movie the heart and emotion it desperately needs.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I thought it was good. Not great, somewhere near the bottom of his filmography, but that still puts it in the top 10% of films IMO. I took me 3 sessions to finish it, but the really enjoyed it.

I agree Washington is a little boring, but he did not ruin it for me.

I did notice that this was the 4th or so film of Nolan's that features Hamilton watches. A good entry level Swiss watch maker that I really like. I'm fascinated by his fascination with time.
schmendeler
AG
I was bummed that they didn't somehow make a real version for you to buy of their hybrid analog and digital watches from the movie.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Me too, I immediately looked while watching.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I don't think JDW did amazing or anything, but "ruined the movie" seems a little extreme. I thought he was... fine. Personally, I loved the movie, and it just keeps getting better with time for me, but I do wonder how much better it could have been if the protagonist and Kat had any chemistry whatsoever. They just seemed so mismatched, from their personalities to him being so short, her being so tall, there being zero sparks between them, etc. If those two characters had more chemistry, and there was more of a romantic subplot there - the spy who falls for the villain's tortured wife and vice versa - the movie would have crackled so much more. Heck, JDW and Pattinson could have switched roles and that right there could have solved 75% of it. Ultimately, though, I would have completely recast the protagonist and Kat and made that relationship sizzle. Would have gone such a long way toward giving the movie the heart and emotion it desperately needs.

Yep, this was exactly the biggest issue with the film. This film lacked the human component and it was this relationship that was supposrd to provide it.
azul_rain
saw inception for the first time yesterday, i kept comparing it to TENET
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Rascal
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

oragator said:

Finally watched it.
Good point at the end. Although I pooped all over this movie, I still applaud the effort. At least they tried something and it wasn't another 80's sitcom movie, reboot, or even worse, another stupid comic book movie.

Tend to agree with both of you here.
Sazerac
AG
Finallllly watched this and think the idea and story are genius. Visually it was pretty amazing.

I liked the score quite a bit but the levels were way off for me. Volume up volume down.

Biggest complaint was I had no idea why the protagonist was so hellbent on helping the Russian lady. Thought they should have made that more clear or a love interest?

Overall probably a B+? Nolan is must see. Can't wait for Openheimer.
utah, get me two
Just got done watching it for the second time, was even better than the first when you sorta know what's going on. *********nolan is a genius, also a Oppenheimer mention when The protagonist was talking to Priya, coincidence?
TCTTS
AG
Hell yeah. It really does get better and better with each viewing.

And it sounds like Nolan definitely had Oppenheimer on his mind during the shooting of Tenet, as Pattinson ended up giving Nolan a book of Oppenheimer speeches as a wrap gift at the end of the shoot. So I'm guessing Nolan had been thinking/talking about the project as early as 2018/2019 (when he wrote/shot Tenet), made that mention in the Tenet script, and then Pattinson gifted him that book, almost assuredly knowing it was going to be Nolan's next project.
utah, get me two
My biggest complaint is the ending battle, I never really saw the enemy and the camera was too focused on the red and blue team going backwards and forwards

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.