*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

139,309 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tenet-film-review

This is not a well done review imo. Too much plot discussion and the author admittedly tries to weave American politics all into the piece.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I skimmed parts of that review. WTF does the writer's opinion of Donald Trump have to do with Tenet?
Bunk Moreland
As I was reading it I was thinking the same thing and then had to stop.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing a good amount of positive reactions... but unfortunately more negative reactions than I've ever seen for a Nolan film as well. None saying it's bad, only that there's not a ton of depth to it, yet it's needlessly complex, and a couple people going so far as to say it makes absolutely no sense. I get the impression that it's Nolan trying to do Nolan, and while still looking cool, being cool, etc, it comes up somewhat short this time. I'm not reading any actual reviews as to not be spoiled in the least, and I don't want to link to any here, so I'm just trying to sum up the gist of the reactions I'm seeing on Twitter as best I can. But overall, even the positive reactions seem to be caveated in certain ways. That said, no American critics have seen the movie yet. Only international. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I figure it's worth mentioning. That, and even I disliked the last half hour of Interstellar the first time I saw it. Now I think it's brilliant. Some Nolan films simply take multiple viewings to truly appreciate, and that could very well be the case here. Still, based on these initial reactions, I at least feel like I'm not missing out as much, not being able to see this thing until October at the earliest here in LA.
Bunk Moreland
Pandemic has also altered minds and opinions. Tenet being reviewed among a pre covid world of movies aplenty and hustle and bustle might lead to different opinions from the same people now who probably have added extra pressure on themselves to review this film.
TCTTS
AG
Very true.
YNWA_AG
AG
The reviews seem pretty nit picky to me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

Seeing a good amount of positive reactions... but unfortunately more negative reactions than I've ever seen for a Nolan film as well. None saying it's bad, only that there's not a ton of depth to it, yet needlessly complex, and a couple people going so far as to say it makes absolutely no sense. I get the impression that it's Nolan trying to do Nolan, and while still looking cool, being cool, etc, it comes up somewhat short this time. I'm not reading any actual reviews as to not be spoiled in the least, and I don't want to link to any here, so I'm just trying to sum up the gist of the reactions I'm seeing on Twitter as best I can. But overall, even the positive reactions seem to be caveated in certain ways. That said, no American critics have seen the movie yet. Only international. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I figure it's worth mentioning. That, and even I disliked the last half hour of Interstellar the first time I saw it. Now I think it's brilliant. Some Nolan films simply take multiple viewings to truly appreciate, and that could very well be the case here. Still, based on these initial reactions, I at least feel like I'm not missing out as much, not being able to see this thing until October at the earliest here in LA.

Surely someone on Texags can at least film this vertically on their IPhone and send it to you.
YNWA_AG
AG
I never understood why the prestige is rated so low. Completely different movie after the first viewing
oglaw
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I never understood why the prestige is rated so low. Completely different movie after the first viewing

I think The Prestige is one of the more underrated movies in the last 20 years.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Prestige is underrated, but I don't think it's Nolan's most underrated movie. That would go to Insomnia, which is Robin Williams' second best performance behind Good Will Hunting.
BoydCrowder13
Bunk Moreland said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tenet-film-review

This is not a well done review imo. Too much plot discussion and the author admittedly tries to weave American politics all into the piece.
Jesus. I'm sure that reviewer is a lot of fun at dinner parties....
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I had never even heard of the Prestige until I saw it on cable one night when my kids were little. Then I watched it completely out of order over 3 days then all the way through twice. My wife is the master of guessing the plot twist and it knocked her for several loops. 2 genius leads, and all that azz.

BoydCrowder13
oglaw said:

YNWA_AG said:

Great cast too. Jackman, Bale, ScarJo, Caine, Serkis. I wish Jackman and Nolan collaborated more.
oragator
87 on RT right now, so hardly bad.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
Bunk Moreland
oglaw said:

YNWA_AG said:

Same. It's one of Nolan's 3 best imo
Bunk Moreland
Got my ticket for the 31st.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Got my ticket for the 31st.
Same. AMC Aug 31 @ 5:00PM
hunter2012
AG
6 pm at my local Imax, Nolan movies especially need to be in Imax.

TCTTS
AG
Anyone know why this is coming out on a Monday? And is there a Sunday night opening, like the equivalent of Thursday night showings, or are the first showings Monday morning?
Bunk Moreland
No clue why a Monday but my showing is called an "early access" showing so maybe it's just a super long run into labor day weekend to try and build momentum, word of mouth to get people more comfortable about going to a movie and build more excitement around going over the holiday weekend?
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. That makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha, thanks. That's a good breakdown.

Admittedly, I haven't been paying as much attention to ticket sales/dates as I usually do, given that I won't be able to see it anytime soon. Super curious to hear everyone's reactions, though!
TCTTS
AG
That said, it looks like it *will* be playing at the drive-in everyone from LA has been hitting up, just outside of town...

https://m.missiontiki.com/movies/tenet/

Hmmm. What do you guys think? Am I "wasting" a Nolan movie by seeing it a drive-in, but opening weekend, or do I save it for the proper experience in IMAX, but wait 'til October-ish?
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
I think you know the answer to that question!
TCTTS
AG
If Cliff doesn't mind, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Tell him I'll even feed Brandy, if she'll let me.
TCTTS
AG
(Seriously, though, I think you're right. Drive-in it is.)
double aught
AG
Rick Dalton said:

Want me to ask Cliff if you can come over and watch it from the roof of his trailer? He won't mind at all, just bring a six-pack of beer and order a pizza.

My booze don't need no buddy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.